Old 10-04-2017, 09:31 AM   #1
pablofergus
Human being with feelings

Default Live performance tempo changes

I've been using Reaper for my live keyboard rig for about a year now, because it's the most flexible DAW i've tried, and I need a pretty complicated setup for my live show. I've achieved this using Live Configs (http://www.sws-extension.org/downloa...onfigs_Ed2.pdf) for the SWS Extensions, using SoftSynths with different MIDI inputs and routing, with the whole setlist in the same project, and controlling Reaper completely from the keyboards without touching the laptop (If you want I can explain my setup more in-depth).

But now I'm facing a problem I don't know how to solve: for certain songs, I want to output a click to one of the hardware outputs of my interface so the drummer can follow it, while I play some arpeggiators and rhythm-based synths in from my keyboards. For one song, it's simple enough, I can just use a click track with no master send, but with a hardware output, and start playback so the synths synchronize, but what can I do to change the tempo between songs? Maybe I should use the tempo mapping features in SWS?

I'd like to be accomplish this without manually changing the tempo (mabye using actions, or different tracks), within the same project, and also I need the hardware synths and the softsynths to synchronize to the click, so reaper must output the midi clock corresponding to the active tempo.

Thanks in advance!
pablofergus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:10 PM   #2
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablofergus View Post
I've achieved this using Live Configs (http://www.sws-extension.org/downloa...onfigs_Ed2.pdf)
I did an updated LiveConfigs manual -> http://www.bschnell.de/LiveConfigs_1.pdf

Maybe it's helpful.

Regarding your questions, while I do use Reaper as a Live Vst "Player" and LiveConfigs as a central element of the setup, I don't do any "timed" stuff like arpeggiators or background tracks.

So I can't help with that issue. I do know that there were some discussions on that, but I am not aware of final conclusions. Please let us know what you find.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 10-04-2017 at 12:17 PM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:32 PM   #3
pablofergus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
I did an updated LiveConfigs manual -> http://www.bschnell.de/LiveConfigs_1.pdf

Maybe it's helpful.

Regarding your questions, while I do use Reaper as a Live Vst "Player" and LiveConfigs as a central element of the setup, I don't do any "timed" stuff like arpeggiators or background tracks.

So I can't help with that issue. I do know that there were some discussions on that, but I am not aware of final conclusions. Please let us know what you find.

-Michael
Thanks, this manual seems much more in-depth and readable than the last one. One thing that might be useful is the project switching functionality mentioned in the guide; having several project tabs open and using actions to switch between them.
I might experiment with it and see how it performs, but I'd prefer finding some way to do it all in the same project, one reason being that if I end up needing many different tempos during the setlist, I'll have many projects open at once and I don't think that's very stable or effective.
pablofergus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:23 PM   #4
mschnell

You mean "S&M Project loader/selecter” ?

There once was a discussion in the forum about using multiple projects tabs for live playing with switchable backing tracks.

I in fact feel that this will not decently work together with using the VSTi sound "patches" via LiveConfigs. But I did not check it out.

I remember to have recommended using a sampler VST (ReaSamplomatic, ...) to hold the backing tracks audio content (or a click), and fire same via some Midi events.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote