Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 10-07-2010, 01:25 PM   #1
musicbynumbers
Human being with feelings

Default v3.72pre3 - October 7 2010

v3.72pre3 - October 7 2010
+ API/ReaScript: added SetMediaItemPosition/Length, with the option to suppress screen redraw
+ ReaScript: better portability between Windows and Mac (strip Windows newlines)
+ Armed actions: show special cursor and tooltip only when clicking will trigger the action
+ OGG support: improved stability/playback of corrupted OGG files (libvorbis 1.3.1 bug)
# Media items: recalculate autocrossfades on time signature change only if autocrossfades enabled
# Media items: reverted change to relative edge editing grouped item behavior
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:31 PM   #2
musicbynumbers

could you make it so that the poster of each pre gets one FR "wish" granted?

Mine would be to have relative pasting for time selection copies on beat based media like we do with time based media

..or did I already mention that!
Old 10-07-2010, 01:40 PM   #3
BenK-msx

armed action tweak - sometimes wishes do come true - thanking you!

from http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=56268
Old 10-07-2010, 02:27 PM   #4
Modular

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
could you make it so that the poster of each pre gets one FR "wish" granted?

Mine would be to have relative pasting for time selection copies on beat based media like we do with time based media

..or did I already mention that!
I would love to see this also.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:50 PM   #5
Dstruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
+ OGG support: improved stability/playback of corrupted OGG files (libvorbis 1.3.1 bug)
What about this http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=2164?
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:36 PM   #6
AdamWathan

Thanks for this, cool fixes/additions!

This bug still happening though, new video to try and make it even clearer: http://www.adamwathan.com/reaper/relgroupeditbug2.swf

If something is grouped with another item and some edit affects that item, the grouped item should be affected as well, but it isn't in this silly little case. You can see clearly in that video that even though the grouped items of the item I'm touching aren't selected, they still behave as grouped. Why not the other items that aren't selected that are grouped to the items being affected by the relative trim?
AdamWathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:49 PM   #7
Kundalinguist

I didn't see anything that said:

+ version change: option in preferences to turn this version into Reaper 4.0
Old 10-07-2010, 10:39 PM   #8
AdamWathan

One minor bug related to the armed cursors...

Alt+Click an item fade deletes the fade but also runs the action. I'm thinking it probably should just delete the fade.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:11 AM   #9
Modular

Reaper 4?
Old 10-09-2010, 04:49 PM   #10
AdamWathan

Here's an annoying bug related to shift+click... The behavior has always seemed weird and unexpected to me so I just avoided it, but now I'm using it more and it's messing with my head a bit.

Imagine I have three items next to each other.

I select item 1, then shift+click to select item 2. Both items are selected as expected.

Now I shift+click to add item 3. For some reason, item 1 deselects and only item 2 and 3 are selected. Shouldn't shift+click ADD in a contiguous selection? I don't see why item 1 becomes deselected.

Here's a video of me displaying the bug over the course of a line of items. In the video I do not let go of shift the entire time...

http://www.adamwathan.com/reaper/shiftclickbug.swf
Old 10-09-2010, 04:57 PM   #11
musicbynumbers

Adam your right that it is unexpected, I found that control and shift works but I think that is because that is normally using for adding additional objects.

I think it needs fixing too
Old 10-09-2010, 05:05 PM   #12
AdamWathan

Ctrl doesn't work for adding grouped items that's the only problem...

Actually another problem is ctrl wouldn't work in this situation...

You have 8 items.

Select item 1, shift click item 3, now item 1, 2 and 3 are selected.

You want to extend the selection all the way to item 8. You would think you could just shift click item 8. But if you do, now you only have items 3 to 8 selected and lose items 1 and 2. Ctrl in this case wouldn't work because ctrl+click on item 8 would ignore items 4 to 7 You would end up with 1, 2, 3 and 8 selected.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:55 PM   #13
airon

Yeah, I kinda pushed this out of my mind and always resorted to the marquee tool, but it is quite a strange behaviour.

Expected behaviour is that shift+click never deselects. That's what CTRL+click is for.

Am I correct in this assumption for anybody but myself ?
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:58 PM   #14
WyattRice

Yea, I think the shift click items is something that needs to be looked into. I think there should also be an option to ignore items left when crossfaded on shift click, so that items left of what you want to select, doesn't get selected if it's crossfaded into another item. I know this works with ctrl click, but if you have many items you want to select, then you have to click on each one at a time, with ctrl click.

Last edited by WyattRice; 10-13-2010 at 06:22 PM.
WyattRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 05:59 AM   #15
Dstruct

Anybody knows what happened to the Minimize buttons in the MIDI Editor or the FX windows?

I could swear we could minimize these windows to the left bottom corner of REAPER's main window before!?

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=66676
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:19 AM   #16
zLiquidancer

Good work!
zLiquidancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:14 AM   #17
zLiquidancer

Please help me with this:

Which file (*.ini ?) is resposible for the order of the plugins in the virtual "My Folders" in add fx.

I formated my pc and I need to know which file is it so everthing will be as it was before the format.
zLiquidancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:17 AM   #18
WyattRice

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattRice View Post
Yea, I think the shift click items is something that needs to be looked into. I think there should also be an option to ignore items left when crossfaded on shift click, so that items left of what you want to select, doesn't get selected if it's crossfaded into another item. I know this works with ctrl click, but if you have many items you want to select, then you have to click on each one at a time, with ctrl click.
Here's a test I did with Reaper and Vegas showing that shift + click in Reaper selects items left, when it's crossfaded.

Reaper

Vegas

Last edited by WyattRice; 10-13-2010 at 06:23 PM.
WyattRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:08 AM   #19
AdamWathan

Quote:
Here's a test I did with Reaper and Vegas showing that shift + click in Reaper selects items left, when it's crossfaded.
Yeah that's not expected behavior either, +1 to changing that too please!
Old 10-10-2010, 10:19 PM   #20
raaja

Default x86 vst bridge needs a fix

reaper 3.71 x64 has no proper support for x86 plugins, the main plugin sets they crashed on waves v5 and v6. x86 bridge hangs sometime on magix fx pack.i can say its worthless having such problem making feature.i hope it can be fixed and soon all x86 vst plugins will work without flaw.

Last edited by raaja; 10-10-2010 at 10:20 PM. Reason: spelling
raaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:53 AM   #21
lawrs

Since we're on the shift + mouseclick subject, I would like to highlight some inconsistent behaviour when using shift + click with time selection.

[img]http://img833.**************/img833/5074/shiftclick.gif[/img]

Why does shift + clicking right vs left have a different result with time selection ?

As shown in my gif, when trying to extend the time selection to right, it works as expected, it extends the time selection to wherever the user clicks. But when trying to extend time selection on left side, the whole time selection move/reset/jumps/bonkers. This always proves to be a real workflow breaker. Any logical explanation for this behaviour? Thank you, I still love Reaper.
lawrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:19 AM   #22
Kundalinguist

It's anarchy! The left side doesn't know what the right is doing.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:31 PM   #23
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Fixing.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:32 PM   #24
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrs View Post
Since we're on the shift + mouseclick subject, I would like to highlight some inconsistent behaviour when using shift + click with time selection.

Why does shift + clicking right vs left have a different result with time selection ?

As shown in my gif, when trying to extend the time selection to right, it works as expected, it extends the time selection to wherever the user clicks. But when trying to extend time selection on left side, the whole time selection move/reset/jumps/bonkers. This always proves to be a real workflow breaker. Any logical explanation for this behaviour? Thank you, I still love Reaper.

Well, it is actually consistent -- shift click makes the time selection from the edit cursor to the click position... maybe there will be an option we can do for this (not to move the edit cursor)...
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:53 PM   #25
AdamWathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Well, it is actually consistent -- shift click makes the time selection from the edit cursor to the click position... maybe there will be an option we can do for this (not to move the edit cursor)...
I think maybe you are misinterpreting the issue, the expected behavior is that shift+click extends the current selection to the click point.

Right now if you shift+click to the left, the current selection is removed and a new selection is created from the click to the edit cursor.

It's the same issue as with shift+clicking items, the previous selection should be added to, not replaced.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:00 PM   #26
AdamWathan

Videos explaining all this showing examples in Reaper and another host:

Item Selection Shift Click Woes:

Other host (expected behavior)

REAPER (unexpected behavior)

Time Selection Shift Click Woes:

*psssst LICECap for OSX please, my flash videos don't garner as much attention as a GIF I can actually put in my post and there doesn't seem to be a single solution available for OSX that can record a screen capture as a GIF! *
Old 10-11-2010, 11:42 PM   #27
planetnine

I think Shift-Click has been implemented with the above functionality as Justin explained and people are expecting it to work as with other DAW software; I just assumed it was Play-Cursor-to-Mouse.

To be fair to you, Shift-Click is an unwritten standard in much software (not just media editing). An option and/or modifier would be great though.

>
Old 10-12-2010, 02:34 AM   #28
lawrs

Quote:
Not exactly looking for an option not to move the edit cursor , how about move the edit cursor and extend the time selection but don't move the right edge? Btw Justin, you're awesome.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:44 AM   #29
lawrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWathan View Post
Videos explaining all this showing examples in Reaper and another host:

Item Selection Shift Click Woes:

Time Selection Shift Click Woes:

My sentiments exactly! Thank you for putting it so clear in words and visuals.!
Old 10-12-2010, 04:27 AM   #30
EvilDragon

Yes, IMHO if I click to the left of time selection with a Shift+click, I would also like the left edge of the time selection to be extended, and NOT change the whole time selection instead! It is the most logical thing there is. Same goes for Shift+selecting items as Adam pointed above, this is how an awful lot of applications behave with Shift selections, so why not Reaper as well?

Optional, please! (In fact I'd even say completely replace the old behavior because it's not really good. )

Quote:
*psssst LICECap for OSX please, my flash videos don't garner as much attention as a GIF I can actually put in my post and there doesn't seem to be a single solution available for OSX that can record a screen capture as a GIF! *
Well, yours get sound as well, which is even cooler and gets to the point faster as you can comment additionally as you show the issue. LICEcap can't record audio.

Last edited by EvilDragon; 10-12-2010 at 04:33 AM.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:39 AM   #31
Rome

I actually prefer the REAPER way of Shift-Click because it works like most other applications out there (Explorer/Finder, text editors, spread sheets etc.): It selects the range from the edit cursor to the point where the mouse was clicked. Extending existing selections is a totally different command in my mind.

Rome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:55 AM   #32
AdamWathan

That's not how shift+click works in text editors here?

http://www.adamwathan.com/reaper/texteditshiftclick.swf

Anyways, I am willing to deal with the time selection thing if it is deemed more useful to most users, but the item selection thing doesn't make sense, I'm sure even you can agree to that. It's not even consistent with how shift+click works for the time selection. At least when continually adding in the same direction, the previous selection should not disappear.

http://www.adamwathan.com/reaper/shiftclickyetagain.swf

You gotta decide on one way or the other really :/ The behavior should at least be consistent for all shift+clicking paradigms.

Here's another one, this time shift+click in the TCP. Again works totally differently than shift+clicking for time selections which works differently than shift+clicking for item selections:

http://www.adamwathan.com/reaper/shiftclickTCP.swf

Consistency fellas please!

The more I think about it, I would be happy with either method. Either "always extend selection" or "create selection from first clicked to just clicked". "Create selection from last clicked to just clicked" however is not expected for anyone I don't think, and that's currently how items behave.

Last edited by AdamWathan; 10-12-2010 at 08:01 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:04 AM   #33
AdamWathan

Also, Rome, your example isn't actually how Reaper behaves in any case except for track selection. Time selections work that way when clicking to the right, but not to the left (because the edit cursor moves, but I would still want it to move, just not change the right edge) and item selections definitely don't work as you described whatsoever :/

This vid just shows shift click in every element of Reaper I could think to try and explains how none of them are consistent with each other...
http://www.adamwathan.com/reaper/shi...nemoretime.swf

Last edited by AdamWathan; 10-12-2010 at 08:10 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:28 AM   #34
Rome

I agree that it is wrong what REAPER currently does. I just wanted to point out that extending an existing selection with shift-click is a totally different operation.

Quote:
The more I think about it, I would be happy with either method. Either "always extend selection" or "create selection from first clicked to just clicked". "Create selection from last clicked to just clicked" however is not expected for anyone I don't think, and that's currently how items behave.
You are right, REAPER moves the edit cursor and item selection to the last clicked position/item while selecting. So every click starts a totally new selection at the last position and not where the selection process initially started. This is why this looks so jumpy and this is not how people would expect it to work.

Maybe REAPER could optionally turn off cursor movement while selecting with shift hold down. This would make the behavior more consistent. Another option could turn the shift-click mode to PT's selection extend mode.
Rome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:44 AM   #35
lawrs

+1 Please make the changes with regards to shift+click optional.

I would be very frustrated if a function that I'm used to, suddenly wasn't available anymore.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:11 PM   #36
planetnine

Quote:
+1 Please make the changes with regards to shift+click optional.

I would be very frustrated if a function that I'm used to, suddenly wasn't available anymore.
I agree with AW that there is inconsistency and I would support that, but I would also ask that any change would be optional (as was suggested by J above). Optional and accessible by modifier...

>
Old 10-12-2010, 07:50 PM   #37
Kundalinguist

I guess the behavior others are expecting from shift+click is the one being handled now by "shift+[" or "shift+]" which builds upon the selection rather than moving the origin each 2nd click.

I can live with whatever.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:52 AM   #38
caotico

Quote:
Also, Rome, your example isn't actually how Reaper behaves in any case except for track selection. Time selections work that way when clicking to the right, but not to the left (because the edit cursor moves, but I would still want it to move, just not change the right edge) and item selections definitely don't work as you described whatsoever :/

This vid just shows shift click in every element of Reaper I could think to try and explains how none of them are consistent with each other...
http://www.adamwathan.com/reaper/shi...nemoretime.swf
I'm with you. Center point makes sense.
caotico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:48 AM   #39
gwok

Quote:

I's just checkin this out, and I;m not sure that this is relevent, but I'm finding the cursor only moves to the new position when the mouse button has gone down and up, though if i drag with only having pushed down on the mouse then my time selection moves

ah, Im just realizing though i dont have "move cursor to start of time selection" disabled

i like it though, it works well for me

g
gwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:27 AM   #40
Subz

Quote:
Fixing.

Subz is offline   Reply With Quote