Old 11-14-2010, 01:26 PM   #41
bullshark
Human being with feelings

Ok, but then how would you call a PC that is not a Mac?

Unless we go by brand, HP, Dell etc. but then how would you call a custom jobby running Window? It's all so confusing...
bullshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:45 PM   #42
terrorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullshark View Post

Unless we go by brand, HP, Dell etc. but then how would you call a custom jobby running Window? It's all so confusing...
I would call it junk
terrorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:50 PM   #43
bullshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrorhead View Post
I would call it junk
Won't work, the term is reserved for the iMac.
bullshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:03 PM   #44
AdamWathan

Quote:

I usually just say Windows or OSX...
AdamWathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:44 PM   #45
buvoltz

This thread goes on and on and getting a lot like religion and politics. Windows has it's strong points and so does OSX. Use what works best for you. I use both but prefer OSX because of core audio and firewire on the mac.

Steve
Old 11-14-2010, 04:20 PM   #46
gwok

it doesnt matter because my computers are the best, so no matter which you use, they will always fall short in comparison to my AcerXp and MacPro.

Unfortunatlely for the general masses they are not for sale, so you may as well give up or make due with what you got.

btw anyone who takes any of what I said in this thread seriously, they should really consider option 1

Last edited by gwok; 11-14-2010 at 04:48 PM.
gwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 04:53 PM   #47
buvoltz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwok View Post
it doesnt matter because my computers are the best, so no matter which you use, they will always fall short in comparison to my AcerXp and MacPro.
Oh yeah...well I'm going to buy a Cray XE6 Supercomputer so mine will be the best gwok!!!!!!

Steve
Old 11-14-2010, 05:51 PM   #48
gwok

Quote:
Originally Posted by buvoltz View Post
Oh yeah...well I'm going to buy a Cray XE6 Supercomputer so mine will be the best gwok!!!!!!

Steve
ya, once you give it to me!
Old 11-14-2010, 08:05 PM   #49
Diogenes

Quote:
Won't work, the term is reserved for the iMac.
No... you mean Mac's in general. Apple is a marketing company. The best there is apparently. Innovators? HA! Depends on what Dick-head Jobs wants to allow Apple users to think 'innovation' is...

D
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:31 PM   #50
gwok

dont be jealous now............
Old 11-15-2010, 06:59 AM   #51
norbury brook

Just had 5 years of OSX and 18 months of Win 7 x64............I've now gone 100% windows 7 x64, the best OS for any DAW I've ever used

MC
Old 11-15-2010, 08:32 AM   #52
Diogenes

Quote:
dont be jealous now............
Believe me... THAT is NOT the case. I have more brains than money. Simple.

But hey, it's all good. Run whatcha brung.

D
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:22 AM   #53
EvilDragon

Quote:

Unless we go by brand, HP, Dell etc. but then how would you call a custom jobby running Window?
PC. They're all Personal Computers. Brand-name, no-name, whatever. PC.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:27 AM   #54
gwok

so few people realize there is only two types of computers - GC's, and NCG's

GC = Gwok's computer
NGC = NOT Gwok's computer

the facts are the facts

;0
Old 11-15-2010, 09:28 AM   #55
buvoltz

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
PC. They're all Personal Computers. Brand-name, no-name, whatever. PC.
Mercedes Benz,Volkswagen, both automobiles. Performance the same? No.

Steve
Old 11-15-2010, 10:14 AM   #56
EvilDragon

The actual performance difference between Merc and VW is not really mirroring the actual performance difference between a Mac and PC. Macs aren't THAT much faster, especially if you take into account they basically utilize same hardware as "ordinary" PCs but cost way more. Price/performance is definitely on Windows' side. And with Windows 7 now in game, Mac has really nothing special anymore, from my point of view it never had, actually.

Last edited by EvilDragon; 11-15-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:38 AM   #57
buvoltz

I agree about Windows 7. What really matters is what works best for you.

Steve
Old 11-15-2010, 03:55 PM   #58
TheShaggyFreak

While it's kind of a silly debate, I started using macs about 5 years ago after working on and fixing Windows machines for 10 years. About 3 years ago, I switched to use Macs 100% of the time. Truthfully, I don't miss Windows except for a few tiny things. If I have to use a program that's Windows only, I just pop open Virtual Box and I can run it.

I can't say much about Win7 because I've never used it and it there's really no reason for me to go back. I can honestly say that the Macs that I've owned over the past few years have been more stable than any Windows box I've ever had (built by me or otherwise). My biggest dislike on the Windows side is the registry. While it took me a while to get used to it, I feel much more comfortable getting all up inside the nooks and crannies of OSX. The registry always made me angry whenever I opened it.

Just like with DAWs, though, OSX vs Windows is all about the work flow for the individual user. Certain other things can define ones choice too. For instance, you'll probably want a Windows box if you're a heavy computer gamer. Most of the games I play are of the console variety. In the end, it doesn't matter what you use as long as it gets the job done.
TheShaggyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:21 PM   #59
buvoltz

Quote:
so few people realize there is only two types of computers - GC's, and NCG's

GC = Gwok's computer
NGC = NOT Gwok's computer

the facts are the facts

;0
The MacPro Xeon is one hell of a machine. How many cores are you running?
Old 11-15-2010, 04:37 PM   #60
gwok

hey hey - for the record, that's all in jest, ive never been into gear snobbery at all......truly

though yes it is a great machine - it's a dual quad core - 2.26 I believe - but bascially the lowest of the 3 speeds - strangley though PT and reaper both default to 16 cores though i thought it would actually be 8 (2x4cores), someone said that had to do with hyperthreading - though i dunno

i've rarely pushed in Reaper beyond 20%, though in PT iv hit about 60 before

still i do manage to push it to its limit in reaper when record enabling vst's, even though my cpu may be low, low latencies are still tough to get when 3 or 4 vsts are input monitoring - though i have found dedicating more cpu to "live fx processing" a huge boost (why a input monitor 4 vst's at once is coming up soon in a gwok forum post!)

anyway..........

Last edited by gwok; 11-15-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:00 PM   #61
Hercules

I keep trying to like Macs - I just can't get over the factor of 4 in the price ticket compared to an Intel PC.

If I had more dollars than cents I would go with a Mac.... but I can get an Intel i7 Quad core PC with 16GB RAM, 2 x 1TB HDs and all the standard bits to make it run for $1300AUD !!!

The equivalent Mac is close to $6K, so I think I'll have 2 x Intel PCs and a new 8 channel I/O device, some more software, a full tank of petrol, a night out at a nice restaurant and a show plus some perfume for my Mrs instead....
Hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:54 AM   #62
PitchSlap

The place where I bought my new computer is primarily a Mac dealer and while I was waiting to pick it up I looked at some prices and was shocked.

For about twice the money I could've got a Mac, with half the RAM and worse specs all around.

While I don't doubt Macs are better for music on a couple of metrics, the difference is relatively minor and personally I'd rather have 2x more computer vs a 5-10% better operating system...
Old 11-16-2010, 04:24 AM   #63
musicbynumbers

Also whether the os is better than win 7 again is personal preference and I like being able to resize windows from any corner (as an obvious example)

Also, it's not very hard these days to turn any Intel PC into a stable hackintosh, so your real choice seems to now be the casing don't count on quality anymore either I have seen equal amounts of Mac and PC die. Your only comfort is making sure you have at least 3 year warranty.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:29 AM   #64
bigtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
Just had 5 years of OSX and 18 months of Win 7 x64............I've now gone 100% windows 7 x64, the best OS for any DAW I've ever used

MC
Interesting
Old 11-16-2010, 07:23 AM   #65
norbury brook

well as I run Reaper as my main DAW it's a no brainer.Reaper x64 under windows 7 x64 is just amazing, it's THE best performing system I've used.Cost isn't an issue here so if there was a better performing system under OSX I'd use a Mac pro plain and simple.

windows x64 is miles ahead of OSX in the x64 game and Reaper x64 on the windows side just works great.

So to round up: OSX/Mac for a Reaper used does not give better stability or performance, in fact I would safely say as a Reaper user, windows performs better than OSX.

During the making of my last three productions, I have not had a single crash from tracking to mixing

the only thing I miss about OSX is the ability to make easy boot-able disk images/copies of the whole OS using Super Duper or Carbon Copy cloner.

MC
Old 11-16-2010, 08:25 AM   #66
bigtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
well as I run Reaper as my main DAW it's a no brainer.Reaper x64 under windows 7 x64 is just amazing, it's THE best performing system I've used.Cost isn't an issue here so if there was a better performing system under OSX I'd use a Mac pro plain and simple.

windows x64 is miles ahead of OSX in the x64 game and Reaper x64 on the windows side just works great.

So to round up: OSX/Mac for a Reaper used does not give better stability or performance, in fact I would safely say as a Reaper user, windows performs better than OSX.

During the making of my last three productions, I have not had a single crash from tracking to mixing

the only thing I miss about OSX is the ability to make easy boot-able disk images/copies of the whole OS using Super Duper or Carbon Copy cloner.

MC
so the big leap was to 64 bit and windows 7 is way better anyway than xp and vista...right?

and i just got a mac pro...er...um...oh well
Old 11-16-2010, 08:41 AM   #67
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtop View Post
so the big leap was to 64 bit and windows 7 is way better anyway than xp and vista...right?
Right.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:24 PM   #68
ricosuave

Default ASIO and other apps

I was never able to get use my Mbox 2 alongside any other audio app (Youtube, etc.) It didn't work with my Emu either, or the on board sound card. When I was searching for a solution I found out that this is a very common problem. It's great that it worked for you but from perusing the forums it doesn't work for most people.

Performance wise however, my $450 AMD quadcore Windows 7 Gateway desktop is much faster than my $1,000 Macbook Pro, specially with Reaper. Pro Tools sucked on my Gateway though.
ricosuave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:35 PM   #69
UncleAge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules View Post
If I had more dollars than cents I would go with a Mac.... but I can get an Intel i7 Quad core PC with 16GB RAM, 2 x 1TB HDs and all the standard bits to make it run for $1300AUD !!!

The equivalent Mac is close to $6K, ...
I'm no Mac fanboy by any stretch but I think your numbers are off a bit here. My iMac is an i7 Quad w/8GB and 1 TB and I paid a 2300, including the shipping fees. And this was brand new from Apple earlier this year. So if you don't mind, would you add a quality 27" monitor to that price you listed and then look at the difference in price between the two systems? The apple will still be more, I'll give you that, but $6K is a bit steep. Even in AUD there shouldn't be that big of a difference.
UncleAge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:41 PM   #70
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleAge View Post
I'm no Mac fanboy by any stretch but I think your numbers are off a bit here. My iMac is an i7 Quad w/8GB and 1 TB and I paid a 2300, including the shipping fees. And this was brand new from Apple earlier this year. So if you don't mind, would you add a quality 27" monitor to that price you listed and then look at the difference in price between the two systems? The apple will still be more, I'll give you that, but $6K is a bit steep. Even in AUD there shouldn't be that big of a difference.
Unfortunately there is....

- a MacPro in Oz with no monitor lists at $6,500AUD on the Mac online site.

- the latest price I got (2 days ago) for a Quad core i7 w/12GB and 2TB HD was $1150AUD - add $150 for W7 64bit and do the maths

- looks to me like 5 x the price for the Mac so my numbers are actually a bit conservative - maybe I could go out for dinner for 3 nights rather than 1

As I said, I'm really trying to like the modern macs but there's not much incentive there.
Hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:08 AM   #71
UncleAge

Maybe it's an AUD thing because the 12-core Mac show up starting off at 4,999 on my apple site. The quad MacPro's are starting off around 2,499.

All in all I agree with most posts that say if you're just running Reaper then why not stay with the pc. I own both and I like both.
UncleAge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 04:45 AM   #72
mrelwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM View Post
Also I recommend using VST for OSX as well, so you can simply copy the project between OSX & Windows and all plug-in's states
will be preserved and working.
As long as the same exact plugin has both Mac and PC versions, and both are installed to the both computers accordingly. Windows VST doesn't run on a Mac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo View Post
you CAN use ASIO together with other audio applications on windows...You just can not
And not 2 asio applications can access the driver/ device at the same time...
I find this contradicting. Can you or can you not use two apps at the same time on an ASIO driver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezusheist View Post
life lesson #1: You get what you pay for. period.
Does that mean that if a hardware store has a discount for holidays, the same products are worse for a while? And if you mail an envelope to your neighbour, the shipping is better if you make it visit Asia first?

Nowadays most companies utilize your beliefs, and price their products higher so they would seem to be of better quality. You really should know better what you are paying for.

Regarding Apple marketing, it is true that Apple appeals to emotions a lot more than Windows computers. Their marketing works and the company is doing very well. Still, I have yet to troubleshoot a Mac. I am asked to troubleshoot Windows computers, new and old, XP to W7, almost every week.

While Reaper is not rock solid on a Mac, I use only Macs currently. For me it's mostly about the OS. I wouldn't stare too close at the performance figures either, my OSX benchmarked 30% better than W7 on the same machine.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:28 AM   #73
Hugo

Default Yes You Can

To clarify:

2 or more audio applications CAN use the same audio interface.

Only one of them however can use ASIO...

So:

I can run Reaper (ASIO) run alongside Windows media player and Wavosaur while Sibelius G7 is running and playing trough a softsynth...

All ARE playing simultaniously as we speak (does not sound nice, a mixture of 10CC, Bill Evans, a midi sax... But only one of them uses ASIO...
Hugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:31 AM   #74
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrelwood View Post

Does that mean that if a hardware store has a discount for holidays, the same products are worse for a while? And if you mail an envelope to your neighbour, the shipping is better if you make it visit Asia first?
ha, excellent reasoning
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote