COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 01-26-2007, 12:12 AM   #1
TerryKing
Human being with feelings

Default 2-Person Jam: Run 1 LOCAL Server??

Could this work??

- Objective: run simplified NinJam for two collaborators, without separate hosted server??

1. Run NinJam Server on #1's local WIN-XP machine, with plenty Memory, MIPS, 256K In 64K Up DSL
2. Run NimJam Client on #1's local machine (either same as Server, or another on LAN.
3. Run NinJam Client on #2's local machine, over DSL 256K Down, 64K Up

Anyone tried something like this? Info, Pointers, Gotchas ???

Thanks!
TerryKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 12:43 PM   #2
BlueTom

sure man, did this all the time.
BlueTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 06:29 PM   #3
grizzly69

I'm also interested in trying this. Are there any tricky details? You know, specific settings you have to set or something like that to get it to work?

Can you run it on a computer through a cable router and have people log in from the internet? Do you use the internal IP address or the router IP for the people to use? I guess I will have to try it out.

Stop reading this!

If you don't stop reading this I am going to stop writing!

THAT'S IT! I'm not typing another word!

Last edited by grizzly69; 01-26-2007 at 07:19 PM.
grizzly69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:39 AM   #4
cryptomail

Default Yes, possible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly69 View Post
I'm also interested in trying this. Are there any tricky details? You know, specific settings you have to set or something like that to get it to work?

Can you run it on a computer through a cable router and have people log in from the internet? Do you use the internal IP address or the router IP for the people to use? I guess I will have to try it out.
You can have people connect to your internal network provided:
1) Your network provider allows incoming, unsolicited connections (some providers are SO BAD WRT that :\ )
2) You set up the correct port forwarding on your router/firewall. This is in the administrative settings in your router/firewall. You generally tell the firewall the IP address of the internal machine IE: 192.168.1.XXX and the port like 2049.
Then, when someone connects to your outer IP via the router, the router will forward the packets internally to your local machine.

Hope that helps.
More detailed support will be provided in PMs/emails at your request.
Good luck!
cryptomail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 04:05 AM   #5
AndyMc

If it helps look for port mapping or virtual server on your routers admin page.
If your not sure how to access the admin page of your router it sometimes have the info printed on the underside of the router.
For instance for most you woudl goto say internet exporer then type in http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1

for some the default username and password is admin and password.
Yes the word password is the password.

Sometimes the options for port mapping are in the firewall settings.
What your effectively doing is saying send this port 2049 to this machines IP (your machine) and destination port I want as 2049 same as what it comes in as. The reason it asks for destination port is because u could say run ninjam on say port 3053 then people connecting on normal port of 2049 would be rerouted to port 3053. They could be a need for this in some situations.
Also look for static ip in your routers admin page, then in there you should see you machine connected to the router then it may allow you to simple tick then save to make your pc have the same internal ip all the time so any port mapping routes u make don't much up because your pcs internal ip changed.
Sometimes u have to type it in manually, if this is the case then it gets more indepth. If you need more help at this point then repost.

Good Luck.
AndyMc is offline   Reply With Quote