Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 07-14-2010, 08:07 AM   #121
camerondye
Human being with feelings

I learned something that I will be changing to from each of the 1st 2 videos after the introduction and I feel like I'm decently versed in Reaper...Thanks Kenny. I bought the download and mailed copy and am already super happy with the little I've watched...very worth the money.

NICE JOB!!!

You should change the title to this thread because I didn't know about this video until yesterday because I don't fear the Reaper and didn't think there was anything in the thread I'd be interested in.
camerondye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:19 AM   #122
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Oh Kenny, I just laughed my ass off unintentionally.

When you're explaining New Project & Project Templates, in the part where you go over various file types you can record in (WAV, AIFF...), you say "Fruity Loops files" for FLAC, which is like totally incorrect Dunno if that was intentional or not XD

FLAC stands for Free Lossless Audio Codec
Ha Ha.

Yeah. We fixed that in the Videos.

You must have the "Vintage" release. Hold on to it. They will be worth more.
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:28 AM   #123
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Ha Ha.

Yeah. We fixed that in the Videos.

You must have the "Vintage" release. Hold on to it. They will be worth more.
Hehehe!

BTW, one suggestion if you're up for adding another tip regarding creating sends. In the part where you drag "io" button to the headphone mix track, there's an EVEN FASTER way to do it for all tracks.

1. Select the tracks you want to send to headphone mix.
2. Start dragging "io" button of ANY track.
3. Press Shift AFTER you began dragging the "io" button.
4. Drag to your headphone mix, or whatever.
5. Now sends are created on the respective receive for all tracks that were selected.

I find this extremely useful!

[img]http://img823.**************/img823/7422/sends.gif[/img]

Last edited by EvilDragon; 07-15-2010 at 02:35 AM.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:20 AM   #124
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Hehehe!

BTW, one suggestion if you're up for adding another tip regarding creating sends. In the part where you drag "io" button to the headphone mix track, there's an EVEN FASTER way to do it for all tracks.

1. Select the tracks you want to send to headphone mix.
2. Start dragging "io" button of ANY track.
3. Press Shift AFTER you began dragging the "io" button.
4. Drag to your headphone mix, or whatever.
5. Now sends are created on the respective receive for all tracks that were selected.

I find this extremely useful!
That is very useful and worthy of an add-on.

One of the problems with doing an "Explained" series is the desire to cover every possible way of doing anything.

I found out quickly that it's simply not possible.

1. I don't know every possible way to do everything.
2. The newer user can easily be overwhelmed with too many options when they really just want one or two good ones.

Thanks
Old 07-15-2010, 09:19 AM   #125
EvilDragon

Quote:
That is very useful and worthy of an add-on.

Quote:
One of the problems with doing an "Explained" series is the desire to cover every possible way of doing anything.

1. I don't know every possible way to do everything.
2. The newer user can easily be overwhelmed with too many options when they really just want one or two good ones.
This is all very understandable.

Quote:
Thanks
No prob! Hey, check this one out, this one is concerning folders:

[img]http://img683.**************/img683/6039/folders.gif[/img]

Last edited by EvilDragon; 07-15-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:18 PM   #126
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
T

Exactly, especially with REAPER where believe it or not there there are sometimes five or six ways of doing something.

I'd say best in a video to keep it simple and show one or maybe two ways at most, otherwise people get confused and overloaded.
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:50 AM   #127
CaptainHook

So i'm here because of my buddy Kenny. I'm still 100% a PT guy but if Kenny is excited about a DAW,
it's worth me taking a look at. So this could either be my first and last post, or the start of many.

Thanks again Kenny, we might have another forum to chat on.. hehehe.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:39 AM   #128
MrMoto

Since I don't think this will be your last post CaptainHook... welcome aboard.

BTW Very nice recording studio!
Old 07-17-2010, 01:26 PM   #129
Kundalinguist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
So i'm here because of my buddy Kenny. I'm still 100% a PT guy but if Kenny is excited about a DAW,
it's worth me taking a look at. So this could either be my first and last post, or the start of many.

Thanks again Kenny, we might have another forum to chat on.. hehehe.
Sure, I've heard this 'It's my friend" thing before...it was Di Nero in Analyze This! You don't have to be embarrassed. Just admit your weakness for excellence and get on with working in Reaper.

Old 07-17-2010, 04:47 PM   #130
CaptainHook

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMoto View Post
Since I don't think this will be your last post CaptainHook... welcome aboard.

BTW Very nice recording studio!
Thanks for the welcome. Yeah, the studio is nice and i'm lucky to be there especially how things
are these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kundalinguist View Post
Just admit your weakness for excellence and get on with working in Reaper.
Reaper enthusiasts seem like Mac enthusiasts. Like it's a religion. Seems like i might fit in,
at my flat there are two iMac 27's (one i7 and one i5), two mac laptops, three iphones and a apple tv.
All but one laptop and one iphone belong to me and my girlfriend. Where's the coolaid?
Old 07-17-2010, 09:43 PM   #131
magicchord

Steve has your Kool-Aid right here...

Me, I think ProFools fans are more like Mac fans, personally (It's what the cool kids use).
REAPER is more like Linux, except you don't have to be a propeller-hat-wearing geek to use it
magicchord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:40 AM   #132
Cableaddict

A couple of suggestion for Kenny Gioia:

1: You VO is kind of hard to listen to. It needs more compression & some upper-mid EQ.

2: Whenever you are explaining something done with keyboard keys, it would be MUCH better if you actually showed (split-screen) a video of a person actually using the keys. This would be a lot easier to absorb, and it would also let someone watch the video, and burn the info into their mind without having to actually stop & try the move themselves.

Otherwise, great effort, I guess.
-----------------------------------

Question: Does this tutorial have a searchable index? It's one thing to have all the info laid out in linear fashion, I when I need an answer, I need THAT answer, and I need it fast. How would that work with this system? Can I punch-in a word or phrase, somewhere, and then see exactly where to go in the movie files?

If so, I'm in! If not, I dunno, I think I could just read the manual. - AKA "Don't Fear The Peeper."
Cableaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:10 AM   #133
CaptainHook

Why do people so often complain about the way Kenny talks? It doesn't seem fast to me or
hard to understand. And i LOVE the accent. Better than my Kiwi one! :P

magicchord ~ I know what you mean. Although for me i dislike that things can be 'cool' to like.
I first fell in love with OS X because it had a linux variant underneath to play with and a GUI that
was REALLY intuitive to ME. After many years with windows it was like coming home.
Pro tools also just "clicked" with me right away. I didn't even know it was the popular choice at
the time. I actually tried logic first when it was still emagic and ended up writing a song about
how it was far from logical. :P (a cliche i'm sure..)

And to be honest i think it's "cooler" to dislike Pro Tools.

I'm still yet to find out if i'll take to reaper. Need some down time to give it a real chance.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:33 AM   #134
EvilDragon

He does talk a bit fast, swallowing some letters with his accent. Personally I don't have problems following him, I've listened to enough different English accents and have almost 20 years of experience using English as my second language, but others may not be as fortunate in understanding...
Old 07-18-2010, 05:38 AM   #135
Bod

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicchord View Post
REAPER is more like Linux, except you don't have to be a propeller-hat-wearing geek to use it
Don't you!!?? Dammit!!! <takes off hat>
Bod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:17 AM   #136
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cableaddict View Post
A couple of suggestion for Kenny Gioia:

1: You VO is kind of hard to listen to. It needs more compression & some upper-mid EQ.

2: Whenever you are explaining something done with keyboard keys, it would be MUCH better if you actually showed (split-screen) a video of a person actually using the keys. This would be a lot easier to absorb, and it would also let someone watch the video, and burn the info into their mind without having to actually stop & try the move themselves.

Otherwise, great effort, I guess.
-----------------------------------

Question: Does this tutorial have a searchable index? It's one thing to have all the info laid out in linear fashion, I when I need an answer, I need THAT answer, and I need it fast. How would that work with this system? Can I punch-in a word or phrase, somewhere, and then see exactly where to go in the movie files?

If so, I'm in! If not, I dunno, I think I could just read the manual. - AKA "Don't Fear The Peeper."
The searchable index is based on the Video titles:

Quote:
Reaper Explained - Don't Fear Reaper

1. Introduction - An explanation of the basics in Reaper and what will be covered in the rest of this collection.
2. New Project & Project Templates - Watch as Kenny shows you how to create a New Project, make Project Templates and Save and manage those Projects.
3. Tracks - Learn how to work with Tracks in Reaper.
4. Routing Matrix - - See how to use the Routing Matrix to manage signal flow in your projects.
5. Recording - Learn how to use all the Recording, Punching and Monitoring modes in Reaper
6. Editing - See how to perform all of the editing function in your projects.
7. Grid, Snap - Watch as Kenny explains Grid and Snapping and how to control the placement of Items, Cursors, Markers and Selections with these tools.
8. Fades & Crossfades - Learn how to use Reaper's fades and crossfades to make seamless transitions across your music files.
9. Sends - See how to use Reaper's sends to create separate mixes, busses and FX sends.
10. Plugins & Effects - Learn how assign, manage and use Plugins, FX and FX chains in Reaper.
11. Folders - Watch Kenny explain the powerful file management features of Reaper's Folders.
12. Track Grouping - See how to use Track Grouping including Masters, Slaves, the Grouping Matrix and specific parameter Grouping in Reaper.
13. Track Templates - Learn how to use Track Templates for creating new tracks with custom settings and importing tracks from other Projects.
14. Ripple Editing - Watch Kenny explain the benefit of using this very useful feature.
15. Item Grouping - Learn how to Group Items in Reaper for use in your productions.
16. Media Item Properties - Explore all the parameters that can be adjusted on individual items in the Media Item Properties window.
17. Locking - Watch and learn how to use the Locking features in Reaper to prevent accidental editing.
18. Takes - Get the most out of Reaper's Takes features including how to compile different performances into one keeper Take.
19. The Mixer - Although most functions can be performed in the Tracks window. The Mixer has it's functions as well.
20. Midi - Learn how to use Midi, Virtual Instrument tracks and the Midi Editor windows.
21. Automation - Watch as Kenny explains the powerful Automation that resides in Reaper.
22. Toolbars - Learn how to customize and create your own Toolbars in Reaper.
23. Actions, Keyboard Shortcuts and Menus - See how to customize and create your own Keyboard Shortcuts, Actions and Menus in Reaper.
24. Consolidating and Exporting - Learn how to Consolidate your Reaper projects so they can be used in any other DAW application.
25. Rendering - See how to properly Mix Down or Render your mixes in Reaper including using the Live Output functions.
26. Markers & Regions - Watch as Kenny explains the benefits of using arrangement tools such as Markers and Regions in Reaper.
27. Navigation & Zooming - Learn all of the extensive ways you can Zoom, Scroll and Navigate in Reaper.
If you need something more precise, I would suggest the Manual which is extremely well written and does not come with a preset voice.

Thanks for your review.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:36 AM   #137
Klemperer

From the video example about zooming I have to say you get used to the way the topics are presented in about 3 minutes. I don't think it's bad to talk a tad faster - you just can explain more that way in the same time .
This would have been a instantaneous buy if I were new to Reaper, and in fact I am sure I would learn a whole lot about it now. (and from evildragon all the time in this very forum, man, you seem to be a wizard!!!)
Klemperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:45 AM   #138
Chris Martins

I'm very impressed with the videos. I just ordered it this morning and I've watched most of it and I learned a ton of stuff!

Kudos for the great work and huge thanks from myself and my band.
Chris Martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:49 AM   #139
Jae.Thomas

if you want to slow it down, get VLC player and use the slow function which wont change pitch.
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:28 AM   #140
Bubbagump

Kenny, any chance of a screen set video? That would make this series complete IMO.
Bubbagump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:12 PM   #141
jamieskeen

Just ordered my copy. Got a evening free so i know what i am doing:_)
jamieskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:13 PM   #142
tombuur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
if you want to slow it down, get VLC player and use the slow function which wont change pitch.
Fantastic. Running at 85% it sounds much more relaxed, only the sound quality suffers a little. Nevertheless that's what I seriously will use from now on.
Reaper 5, latest release, 64-bit w SWS |GA Z270 UD5|Intel i7 K7700|32 GB RAM|Fireface 800|500GB SSD sys, 1TB SSD Rec, 4TB HDD samples|Win 10 64bit|Dynaudio BM6A|Softube Console 1|Sonnox|Waves|Melda|Superior 3|Komplete 12U|Melodyne|Slate|Izotope.

Last edited by tombuur; 07-19-2010 at 12:22 PM.
tombuur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:49 PM   #143
Chris Martins

Hey Good Call!

Non-fluent speakers will appreciate the trick for sure!
Old 07-19-2010, 08:43 PM   #144
scottedog

Great job as usual Kenny.

...I like ducks (duc's?) too.

ScottedogStudios on ReverbNation
scottedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:53 AM   #145
magicchord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
...to be honest i think it's "cooler" to dislike Pro Tools...
*sigh* Don't we all just want to be cool in a non-ironic way?

Oh, I just had a bad experience when my employer sent me to PT training and I didn't love what I saw. 'Course that was way back in V.6.4; I'm sure they've made everything perfect by now, heh heh.

We deal with Avid's video editing platforms at my job too, which may not be contributing to a favorable impression in my mind either.

What-everr.
magicchord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:33 PM   #146
Chris Martins

I just call it Proctol...'cuz' it's the biggest pile o'sh*t I've had the chance to try...

Reaper on the other hand shows its greatness more and more everyday and everyway... Is it perfect ? Nope. But it treats me better than anything else out there.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:37 AM   #147
Kenny Gioia

Had to post this:

From a user:

Quote:
A friend gave me a copy of your turtorials. they are so good that I thought I should pay for access to them, so I have done that online. Thanks for your help I have never seen anything so clear in my life !! all the best.... anonymous
Old 07-21-2010, 10:55 AM   #148
Calitone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Martins View Post
I just call it Proctol...'cuz' it's the biggest pile o'sh*t I've had the chance to try...

Reaper on the other hand shows its greatness more and more everyday and everyway... Is it perfect ? Nope. But it treats me better than anything else out there.
Funny thing is many of us have made pretty good money with that pile o'sh*t. I take it you haven't. I personally still find Pro Tools a step ahead for the way I work. I'm not ditching PT anytime soon, but I'm still a newbie when it comes to Reaper. Taking my time reading the manual to learn everything it has to offer and plan to use it extensively before I start calling it a pile o'sh*t or the next best thing to Jesus Christ.

Why do we need the Pro Tools bashing here? Don't we have gearslutz for that?
Calitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:40 PM   #149
airon

It's always the same Calitone. People love Protools for what it does right, and hate it for when it screws up. And then they're kinda tired of it not going to places they'd like to see it go, because the other side of the fence is running rocket tech, and Digi's more like a trusty Prop machine. Runs, does its job but it isn't going very far any more, at least from what we're seeing. Rocket tech is more fun most of the time too.

I use PT all day in post production. Thank the lord I don't need to use it for effects development any longer. It's not even a DaVinci flying machine next to Reapers warp engine power.

Protools deserves bashing, and Digidesign does too. So we bash it if it comes up. It is ridiculed, laughed at and shamefully hidden, 'cause, no, it's no longer great. It's just good, for a couple of important things.

Last edited by airon; 07-21-2010 at 05:52 PM.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:35 AM   #150
planetnine

I do feel a twinge of guilt when I join in on these PT-bashing sessions as TDM and HD are/were very good at what they were designed to do. Until recently there was not the power in native systems to mix the big projects, nothing native was solid to track them. When the clients clock is ticking, PT was the only computer-based sytem that worked.
This is not the case any more, and with the power of recent computers and the capability of DAW software, PT is looking clunky and long in the tooth.

I've never understood why DD didn't bring out a professional version of LE though.

>
Old 07-22-2010, 04:33 AM   #151
airon

That's the Complete Production Toolkit for $2000(or $1000 if bundled with a 003), and post facilities have been buying that a lot. I love it, because at least on Macs(not tested on PCs) sessions open way faster, and I have all the busses I usually need for the smaller shows I work on. The bummer is the loss of all the great automation functionality you have in HD.

And that I will be asking for for the next major release of Reaper. Preview, match, auto-join, loop fill, VCA, a panel as big as we need it, the works.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:47 AM   #152
Kundalinguist

Paris was an excellent DAW in its day but it also began to suffer from the competitive strain of DAW evolution. I'm not a PT user, but this has been coming for a while now that farming out CPU power is not such an issue any more.

And the price of TDM/RTAS plugins doesn't help matters either.

I remember being at my friend's post studio. He needed a little more power in his HD rig and it cost him $5000 for that added card. Eeek.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:13 AM   #153
Calitone

I hope I didn't give out the impression that I'm some PT Fanboy or anything cause I'm definitely not. I just find it odd that someone would say he "tried" PT and thought it was a pile o'sh*t, and my point was that it's NOT a pile of shit. Many people have made awesome music on PT and still continue to do so. That would be like me saying a u47 mic is a pile of shit because when I sang into it, my voice sounded horrible. So it didn't work for Chris. Understandable, but that doesn't mean it's a pile of shit.

In saying that though, I'm still trying to wrap my head around Reaper. So far, I'm really diggin' it!
Old 07-22-2010, 10:41 AM   #154
Kundalinguist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calitone View Post
That would be like me saying a u47 mic is a pile of shit because when I sang into it, my voice sounded horrible
Hey, I always choose my mics this way. Still haven't found one that works "properly" though, no matter how much I spend. But it's definitely the mic. I mean, it's gotta be, right?
Old 07-22-2010, 11:33 AM   #155
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Hey, I always choose my mics this way. Still haven't found one that works "properly" though, no matter how much I spend. But it's definitely the mic. I mean, it's gotta be, right?
Yeah. Me too.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:54 AM   #156
Kundalinguist

Damn those vintage mics, why can't they be within reach? [sniff]
Old 07-22-2010, 12:05 PM   #157
jamieskeen

Thanks for the videos kenny, you really cleared up a lot of things for me. I am more of a visual learner and i learned a bunch of stuff from your tutorials. No problem with the accent, i have a bunch of friends from NY and your easier to understand than a few of them!!! Will there be a part 2?
jamieskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:48 PM   #158
Calitone

Quote:
LOL!!! Sounds like we're in the same boat! HAHA!! If I do find "that" mic, you'll be the first to know. The Lawson L251 is pretty damn good at ... ummm... our type of vocals though. HAHA!
Old 07-22-2010, 06:51 PM   #159
COCPORN

Quote:
Got these, saw them all in one sitting, learned a bunch and will definitely refer back to them. Thanks, a real bargain.

Next to the tutorials Camel Audio made for Alchemy, these are some of the best videos I've seen, and I can't help but think Reaper would get way past critical mass in market penetration if these were freely available so people wondering whether they should get Reaper or go with a competitor could watch these to help make up their mind. Really, for me, the value of Reaper really went up.

I see people from Groove 3 are posting in this thread also, that's cool. Just wanted to let you know that if you expand on the Reaper-section, I'm sure to invest in the material in the future.

Regarding some of the other input you've gotten in this thread, I realize that people are different. I really like fast talkers, as long as the pronunciation is good, it helps keep my attention. So these videos were good for me. There is a certain degree of repetition, but I don't mind, it helps the concepts sink in for me (for me it's better to have something explained twice and quickly than once and slowly). Also, I agree that it would be great to have the keystrokes superimposed on the video, either added as a post processing or using a keycaster.

Thanks again, looking forward to future videos.
COCPORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:48 PM   #160
Smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCPORN View Post
.....these were freely available.....
?????