Old 12-06-2019, 07:41 PM   #1
Edgemeal
Human being with feelings

Default v6.01+dev1206 - December 6 2019

v6.01+dev1206 - December 6 2019
+ MIDI editor: sync timebase to arrange view without re-centering [t=222938]
+ ReaScript: add MARKER_GUID:X to get the unique identifier of a project marker or region [t=207856]
+ VST3: replace input audio rather than summing for instruments that have sidechain input but no main input [t=227974]
+ VST: add HiDPI compatibility setting that affects floating plug-in UIs
# HiDPI: fade editor and track I/O windows support hidpi/retina

Full changelog / Latest pre-releases
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:29 PM   #2
Joe90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post

Wow this is a biggie - Thanks guys! As well fixing the scaling issue, enabling this option also completely fixes this issue - https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=227823

and mostly fixes this issue - https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=228124

Three birds with one stone

I say it mostly fixes the last one, because I use melodyne docked under the arrange window... It would be amazing if we could have the HiDPI switch function in FX chains too.

Just an FYI for other users trying this out - it won't work on all plugins, some will get a messed up GUI - N.I's Kontakt or Komplete Kontrol for example. This exact same issue occurs on the same plugins in S1 when using their HiDPI per-plugin scaling option, so I don't think it's a Reaper issue.

While we're on the HiDPI subject - currently in Reaper on Win10 at 4k I can either have a full size mouse cursor and tiny fonts, or I can enable 'let Windows fix blurry apps' (whatever that does) and then I get normal size fonts and a tiny mouse cursor - hopefully this is something that can be addressed in a future update.

Cheers!
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:42 PM   #3
nofish

Quote:
+ MIDI editor: sync timebase to arrange view without re-centering [t=222938]
My BR from 10 years ago. . As multi monitor user having ME on second monitor this is great, thanks.

Though on first test I noticed it seems to break mouse cursor as horizontal zoom center in ME.
Here in the Licecap I use scrollwheel for zoom (ME on 2nd monitor), first with 'sync to arrange' off (ok) then on.
Or is it supposed to be like this?

nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:43 PM   #4
Breeder

Quote:
+ MIDI editor: sync timebase to arrange view without re-centering
This breaks my whole workflow when using docked MIDI editor (and I use almost only this kind of editor):

Current dev build:

Official 6.01:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
"but! if this changes, the one person who uses a transparent docker midi editor this will be upset!" /s

seriously, other than the cool demonstration gif (that i think YOU uploaded years ago), i've never seen nor heard of people actually doing this non-academically.
Breeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:07 PM   #5
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeder View Post
This breaks my whole workflow when using docked MIDI editor (and I use almost only this kind of editor):
Sounds like we need an option, or else just use the old fashioned sync when the editor is docked vertically.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:22 PM   #6
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Sounds like we need an option, or else just use the old fashioned sync when the editor is docked vertically.
This seems 100% like it should be an option - both behaviours make sense in and of themselves, especially since the inline editor is a bit rough to use so having a full editor docked and completely synced is the next best thing.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:24 PM   #7
Breeder

Quote:
No idea what's better, but because MIDI editor can be docked in a left/right docker too, maybe user option is better than automatic option unless you can take into account every possible MIDI editor configuration. Whichever is the easiest for you guys, as long as we can get the old behavior back.
Old 12-07-2019, 01:05 AM   #8
EvilDragon

Technical debt being repaid!!!

This is long awaited by me, too, because I use MIDI editor to the right of arrange on 2nd monitor. Docked.

So I suggest a new time base, which should just sync viewport of arrange and viewport of ME. Which means no matter how you scroll or zoom in either, that is happening in the other too. But WITHOUT the vertical sync requirement. Even with docked ME.

EDIT: rereading Schwa's words, that also makes sense to me. Use the non-recentering sync when ME is docked to the sides (or floating), then use centering (old one) when ME is on a vertical to the arrange. Makes a lot of sense.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 01:09 AM   #9
EvilDragon

And yeah horizontal zoom center should not be broken as in nofish's GIF
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 02:41 AM   #10
multibody

Quote:

[B][COLOR="Blue"]
Thanks, works great so far!

Could this option be assignable via right-click-menu in the FX-Browser like the other compatability-settings? That would speed things up in case of hundreds of Waves-Plugins.
multibody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 05:43 AM   #11
mccrabney

AHHH thank you! (and sorry, Breeder!). and thank you to the hapless guy who accidentally turned this feature on yday and presumably brought this issue to attention.

+1 for option. schwa, if the ME is docked vertically above REAPER in another monitor, for example, the old sync would still offcenter the zoom by a span of TCP width. this might be OK on larger screens, but it always felt a little funny when i tried it before to have zoom be a little offcenter to the right. unless both screens are the same size, the center line will be in a different place.

default docked MEs, though, should behave in the old manner for sure, since they're on the same monitor as Arrange and the center line is always in the same place.

one concern is that zooming is now laggier in the midi editor, and falls visibly behind the zooming in the arrange screen. i don't think it's bad enough to be a problem, and it doesn't appear to get worse based on how heavy the project is, but just a heads up.

this makes renostraws' zoom-adaptive grid script usable for me again, and may help others who struggle with entering midi items at the desired zoom.

i might actually return to using 2 monitors now and stop complaining about everyone using huge licecaps, screenshots, and script GUIs. i did check and my next laptop upgrade has higher resolution than 1366x768 (refurb bought in 2013 on which i've written 4 albums) so i'll be joining you people in the future's yesterday
mccrabney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 06:51 AM   #12
_Stevie_

This is only partly related, I know... But since this is about viewport and MIDI editor:

could we have a way to center the MIDI content horizontally? Or some other solution? The issue is: when recording new notes, very high or low, on first open of an item, the MIDI editor usually doesn't show these events and I need to scroll a lot to make them visible. I can post a GIF later.
Old 12-07-2019, 06:55 AM   #13
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
one concern is that zooming is now laggier in the midi editor, and falls visibly behind the zooming in the arrange screen. i don't think it's bad enough to be a problem, and it doesn't appear to get worse based on how heavy the project is, but just a heads up.
Profiling zooming in the MIDI editor doesn't show anything problematic, which means there may be something specific to your context that we're not testing. Are you displaying a single MIDI item, or several at once?

Last edited by schwa; 12-07-2019 at 10:37 AM.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 07:11 AM   #14
mccrabney

my editor opens all project midi at once with one track's data editable at a time. this also results in an increase in buffer underruns on heavier projects, to the point where i have to revert to "open all midi on track" instead once a project reaches a certain level of complexity.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:49 AM   #15
ovnis

I have settled Reaper to open the midi editor with ONE click.
I don't know if it is by design, but if I want to see the midi notes, I have to click twice on the midi item! Why when we click one time, we can't see any notes (no scroll midi editor window)?

Mouse modifier: Media item/left click --> Item: Open in built-in MIDI editor (set beahavior in preferences)
One MIDI editor per track. Open all midi on the Same track.

Last edited by ovnis; 12-07-2019 at 08:12 AM.
ovnis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 07:58 AM   #16
pepe44

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
My BR from 10 years ago. . As multi monitor user having ME on second monitor this is great, thanks.

Though on first test I noticed it seems to break mouse cursor as horizontal zoom center in ME.
Here in the Licecap I use scrollwheel for zoom (ME on 2nd monitor), first with 'sync to arrange' off (ok) then on.
Or is it supposed to be like this?

Go to Action / MIDI editor and write on the filter search "sync to arrange view" disable that. maybe is ON.
pepe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:36 AM   #17
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
This is only partly related, I know... But since this is about viewport and MIDI editor:

could we have a way to center the MIDI content horizontally? Or some other solution? The issue is: when recording new notes, very high or low, on first open of an item, the MIDI editor usually doesn't show these events and I need to scroll a lot to make them visible. I can post a GIF later.
+1 This is very much needed.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:40 AM   #18
Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
+1 This is very much needed.
Something like View: Zoom to content but version that acts on selected notes only for example?

If you work on the piano part with extreme lows and high, there isn't any API or action to zoom in to selected notes vertically. I personally just split items and then use this script to do it. (It's almost a reflex by now to do ctrl+a and then alt+e (which calls the script) upon opening any MIDI item):

Code:
-- Main ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
function Main ()

local undoMsg = "MIDI Editor: Zoom to content and selection/time selection/loop iteration"

local midiEditor = reaper.MIDIEditor_GetActive()
	if midiEditor ~= nil then
		local take = reaper.MIDIEditor_GetTake(midiEditor)
		if take ~= nil then

reaper.MIDIEditor_LastFocused_OnCommand(40466, false) -- View: Zoom to content

if reaper.MIDI_EnumSelEvts(take, -1) ~= -1 then
				reaper.MIDIEditor_LastFocused_OnCommand(40725, false) -- View: Zoom to selected notes/CC
			else

local timeSelStart, timeSelEnd = reaper.GetSet_LoopTimeRange(false, false, 0, 0, false)
				if timeSelStart ~= timeSelEnd then
					reaper.MIDIEditor_LastFocused_OnCommand(40726, false) -- View: Zoom to project loop selection
				else
					reaper.MIDIEditor_LastFocused_OnCommand(40468, false) -- View: Zoom to one loop iteration
				end
			end
			reaper.Undo_OnStateChangeEx2(0, undoMsg, 8, -1);
		end
	end
end

Main()
function NoUndoPoint () end -- Makes sure there is no unnecessary undo point created, see more
reaper.defer(NoUndoPoint)   -- here: http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php?p=1523953&postcount=67
Would be nice to have an option so this is done automatically too

Last edited by Breeder; 12-07-2019 at 08:46 AM.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:49 AM   #19
D Rocks

Nice feature addition for the MIDI editor. Im on the second screen too itll be awesome to use.

Quote:
Breeder
Yeah I have same request. It would be very handy.
I have mine set to Browser Back Button on Mouse but it is the default action which zooms to ALL content in MIDI item.
Thats often times overkill and unusable as soon as the notes are spread out enough.

So yeah zoom to selected note action would be IDEAL and become my reflex too.

Thanks for the great idea
Old 12-07-2019, 09:57 AM   #20
mccrabney

regarding automatically performing actions upon opening the midi editor, here's something i use, copied from another thread:

to open a MIDI editor, i run this custom action:

Code:
xenakios/sws: Select items under edit cursor on selected tracks
SCRIPT: openMErunMEaction.eel (see below)
where the openME script does this (tailor to your personal zooming needs):

Code:
function do_actions_from_main_and_midi_sections()
(
Main_OnCommand(40153, 0); // MAIN section action 40153: "open selected item in MIDI editor"
active_MIDI_editor = MIDIEditor_GetActive(); // Now the MIDI editor is opened -> get MIDI editor ID

MIDIEditor_OnCommand(active_MIDI_editor, 40006); // select all events
MIDIEditor_OnCommand(active_MIDI_editor, 40725); // zoom to selected notes
MIDIEditor_OnCommand(active_MIDI_editor, 40466); // zoom to content
MIDIEditor_OnCommand(active_MIDI_editor, 40214); // deselect all
);

do_actions_from_main_and_midi_sections();
in my case, double left clicking an item fires off this custom action, and it zooms to the item contents.

i open and close the midi editor a lot. it's fullscreen on a 14" laptop display.
closing it and entering another midi editor from Arrange lets me zoom automatically to the item contents. i don't think this would work by changing tracks from the Track List
Old 12-07-2019, 10:28 AM   #21
D Rocks

Thanks this is really good!!

Last edited by D Rocks; 12-07-2019 at 10:02 PM.
D Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:49 AM   #22
jnif

How is the loop section fade supposed to work?
It looks like there is some bug related to that.
I'm getting a strange glitch in the end of item when testing the new loop section edit features.

The first track is the one where I have edited loop section start and end. When playing back that track alone I can hear a glitch at the end of item. I did not change the loop section fade. It was set to 10.0 ms automatically.
The second track is a rendered version of the first track where you can see the glitch.

If I set the loop section fade to 0 ms, then the glitch is not there anymore.
The fade makes kind of sense when transitioning to next loop iteration but I think it should not be added to the last loop iteration.

jnif
jnif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 07:27 AM   #23
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Quote:
+ ReaScript: add MARKER_GUID:X to get the unique identifier of a project marker or region [t=207856]
YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! \o/

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:04 AM   #24
Dragonetti

The first time I open the Midi Editor, I would also like to see all the notes I have just recorded.
Dragonetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 03:19 PM   #25
mccrabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonetti View Post
The first time I open the Midi Editor, I would also like to see all the notes I have just recorded.
if we had an action to "select last recorded" notes/CCs, then we could do that with "zoom to selected notes"

would also be handy for quantizing whatever you last overdubbed
Old 12-09-2019, 11:38 AM   #26
_Stevie_

Quote:
Would be nice to have an option so this is done automatically too
Yes, indeed. Something that spares us some additional clicks.
Old 04-08-2020, 01:18 PM   #27
bwsd

Quote:
+100500
I use a not attached docker.
And this decision (# MIDI editor: restore previous synced timebase behavior when MIDI editor is docked at top or bottom of main REAPER window) is not enough.
bwsd is offline   Reply With Quote