Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 12-18-2019, 12:40 PM   #41
Zeno
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed78 View Post
I found the reset. I changed some colors in the Theme Tweaker with the hope that it will reset the Theme Adjuster and it did.

Which means I won't be able to use the Theme Adjuster for now since I change the FX Browser to a dark background as well as the track lanes and empty arrange area to a darker shade of grey. Much smoother looking and easier on the eyes and it fits better with the beautiful new Reaper 6 theme.

No pressure. I believe all the bugs and compatibility will be sorted out in one of the future updates.

The new theme is awesome by the way. Thanks.
I don't understand how you come to that conclusion. Even if you have modified the theme with the theme tweaker, you can still use the theme adjuster. I do that all the time.
Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 01:36 PM   #42
ed78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeno View Post
I don't understand how you come to that conclusion. Even if you have modified the theme with the theme tweaker, you can still use the theme adjuster. I do that all the time.
I have tested it just now again. Initially I thought I was confused and that I did come to the wrong conclusion. However this is how I come to that conclusion:

1. I saved a new theme from within theme tweaker a few days ago with all the custom colors I prefer. I call it my_default_6.0. The theme adjuster is not accessible in this way.
2. So I selected the new default Reaper 6 theme again with all the default colors. I then see that my theme adjuster settings (hiding volume and insert fx etc. on tracks) are saved. At this stage I thought I came to the wrong conclusion.
3. I then go about changing all my preferred colors again. Making track lanes and the empty arrange view darker. Making the window list darker so that the fx browser has a dark background so that it fits in better with the rest of the dark theme, as well as many more small tweaks like that.
4. Everything is perfect and I am thinking I should reply here and say I made a mistake but I restart reaper to test and see if the theme adjuster settings did indeed save.
5. After restart the theme adjuster settings are lost and everything is back to default.

I kid you not. I mean... I can make a video with OBS of the entire process of how I come to this conclusion.
Old 12-21-2019, 05:42 PM   #43
xpander

What is see here is possibly mixing up the roles of the Theme tweaker and Theme adjuster when adjusting the themes.

First stage would be establishing the baseline for the troubleshooting, like described in the first post. IOW, do your Theme adjuster changes get saved into the reaper-themeconfig.ini file with the default 6 theme?

Once you get that working, you should be able to extend that to tweaking the theme colors with the theme tweaker and saving the theme with those changes.

And when you have verified that the theme tweaker changes do keep (by changing between two themes), you can go back to the Theme adjuster. It should still have your settings...you had already established that in the first stage, correct? If not working, you have found the problem part.

Btw, the Theme adjuster will work also with the edited v6 default theme you save in theme tweaker with a new name. But you'll have to run it from the Actions list, not from the top of the theme list, where its not accessible.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 08:41 AM   #44
kid bliss

hi all
same issues, theme adjuster won't save my settings.
parameter1=xx does not change.

[Default_6.0]
param22=100
param13=2
param3=7
param19=324
param18=7
param17=2
param4=3
param5=2
param6=2
param8=0
param9=0
param12=0
param16=0
param15=0
param14=0
param29=4
param27=7
param23=6
param24=0
param77=1
param21=1
param2=5
param79=1
param20=5
param30=1
param78=1
param1=xx

i admit i am not great under the hood and for me it gets a bit out of hand to be honest, theme adjust, sws scripts, theme tweaker, themeconfiguration.ini settings etc.
It's not for everybody and i just need to work on music instead of searching and reading and trying things out.
there is also a lot of info to read to get somewhere which is taking a lot of time.
now i know it might be too late to not sound to nagging, i've been using reaper for more than 10 years, is there a step by step wat to save my HIDE settings?
non-portable
windows 10 64bit
kid bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 04:57 AM   #45
ed78

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
What is see here is possibly mixing up the roles of the Theme tweaker and Theme adjuster when adjusting the themes.

First stage would be establishing the baseline for the troubleshooting, like described in the first post. IOW, do your Theme adjuster changes get saved into the reaper-themeconfig.ini file with the default 6 theme?

Once you get that working, you should be able to extend that to tweaking the theme colors with the theme tweaker and saving the theme with those changes.

And when you have verified that the theme tweaker changes do keep (by changing between two themes), you can go back to the Theme adjuster. It should still have your settings...you had already established that in the first stage, correct? If not working, you have found the problem part.

Btw, the Theme adjuster will work also with the edited v6 default theme you save in theme tweaker with a new name. But you'll have to run it from the Actions list, not from the top of the theme list, where its not accessible.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-23-2019, 05:17 AM   #46
ed78

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid bliss View Post
hi all
same issues, theme adjuster won't save my settings.
parameter1=xx does not change.

[Default_6.0]
param22=100
param1=xx

i admit i am not great under the hood and for me it gets a bit out of hand to be honest, theme adjust, sws scripts, theme tweaker, themeconfiguration.ini settings etc.
It's not for everybody and i just need to work on music instead of searching and reading and trying things out.
there is also a lot of info to read to get somewhere which is taking a lot of time.
now i know it might be too late to not sound to nagging, i've been using reaper for more than 10 years, is there a step by step wat to save my HIDE settings?
non-portable
windows 10 64bit
I feel you. I am going to keep the theme adjuster out of it for now. I am sure in a couple of updates everything will be sorted out.

I see it like this since I am also not very technical. I adjust settings with Theme Adjuster and it works until Reaper is closed and re-opened when it is lost. So it does work under certain circumstances. How about rather saving and recalling the settings in a way that already works? (Programming suggestion)

Maybe these theme adjuster settings should be saved in a new separate doc by the programmers. There should be a way to recall these settings (with programming from Reaper or White Tie's side) every time Reaper is restarted in the same way I would have to change these settings manually every time. Can't there be a script that only recalls these settings instead of incorporating it into the existing file with all the theme settings?

Anyway... I know to little about programming to make suggestions but if the above is possible it will solve most all the theme adjuster problems. This would also prevent users and programmers from having to go back and forth with every update having to figure out what is causing the conflict.

Just for the record. I love the new theme as well as Reaper being my number one. I have jumped over the fence a few times but nothing compares to Reaper.

Last edited by ed78; 12-23-2019 at 05:29 AM.
ed78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 06:34 AM   #47
xpander

Quote:
Maybe these theme adjuster settings should be saved in a new separate doc by the programmers.
The reaper-themeconfig.ini file in the root of the Reaper resources is exactly that. Why the settings do not get saved for some users is the problem to be solved.
Old 12-23-2019, 07:54 AM   #48
ed78

Quote:
The reaper-themeconfig.ini file in the root of the Reaper resources is exactly that. Why the settings do not get saved for some users is the problem to be solved.
Okay super. Thanks.
Old 12-23-2019, 04:44 PM   #49
kid bliss

Quote:
I feel you. I am going to keep the theme adjuster out of it for now. I am sure in a couple of updates everything will be sorted out.

I see it like this since I am also not very technical. I adjust settings with Theme Adjuster and it works until Reaper is closed and re-opened when it is lost. So it does work under certain circumstances. How about rather saving and recalling the settings in a way that already works? (Programming suggestion)

Maybe these theme adjuster settings should be saved in a new separate doc by the programmers. There should be a way to recall these settings (with programming from Reaper or White Tie's side) every time Reaper is restarted in the same way I would have to change these settings manually every time. Can't there be a script that only recalls these settings instead of incorporating it into the existing file with all the theme settings?

Anyway... I know to little about programming to make suggestions but if the above is possible it will solve most all the theme adjuster problems. This would also prevent users and programmers from having to go back and forth with every update having to figure out what is causing the conflict.

Just for the record. I love the new theme as well as Reaper being my number one. I have jumped over the fence a few times but nothing compares to Reaper.

thanks for your reply, i got it all sorted so far it seems.

i deleted the themeconfig.ini file
started up reaper again
went back to theme 5.0 nitpicky edition in options/themes/theme adjuster
closed reaper
started reaper again, took it back to the default theme v6
changed settings to my likings in the theme adjuster
closed reaper and started again and all was saved

i hope this helps you too.
Old 12-23-2019, 05:50 PM   #50
ed78

Quote:
thanks for your reply, i got it all sorted so far it seems.

started up reaper again
closed reaper

i hope this helps you too.
Thanks for your feedback. Glad you could make it work.

I tried this but unfortunately it did not work for me. Maybe I have some custom setting through SWS or something else that conflicts with the theme adjuster.

Will disable some custom features and keep on testing.

Peace!
Old 12-24-2019, 03:04 AM   #51
kid bliss

and ofcourse everything was back to 'non saving normal' this morning, hahaa i had a feeling this would happen.
it's aliiive!

guess i'll wait for a future update or somebody smarter than me to come along, that should not take that long ; )
Old 12-24-2019, 05:54 AM   #52
ed78

Quote:
and ofcourse everything was back to 'non saving normal' this morning, hahaa i had a feeling this would happen.
it's aliiive!

guess i'll wait for a future update or somebody smarter than me to come along, that should not take that long ; )
Yeah man. The clever people at Reaper, SWS and White Tie made the best DAW since forever so not to worry.

The solution is on its way.
Old 12-24-2019, 09:19 AM   #53
xpander

Fellows, I'm afraid nothing will happen until somebody actually comes up with clear steps to reproduce those not saving situations. Going back to the post #1 and doing what is said there would help a lot in figuring that out.

Kid bliss, I understand you don't want to mess too much with the themes. But you had something interesting to happen, so if you could elaborate on following, it could help figuring things.

Quote:
started up reaper again
closed reaper
Yet next morning all the changes were lost? First, did you check the reaper-themeconfig.ini before and after? And what happened in the mean while? Did you shut down your computer or do something else?
Old 12-24-2019, 01:48 PM   #54
ed78

Quote:
Fellows, I'm afraid nothing will happen until somebody actually comes up with clear steps to reproduce those not saving situations. Going back to the post #1 and doing what is said there would help a lot in figuring that out.

Kid bliss, I understand you don't want to mess too much with the themes. But you had something interesting to happen, so if you could elaborate on following, it could help figuring things.

Yet next morning all the changes were lost? First, did you check the reaper-themeconfig.ini before and after? And what happened in the mean while? Did you shut down your computer or do something else?
Will investigate asap on my side and give some feedback. Thanks.
Old 12-26-2019, 03:13 AM   #55
dtr0q

I think I've figured it out. Making changes in Theme Tweaking window and NOT saving it to a ReaperTheme file causes this Theme Adjuster problem. Save your custom theme to a file and Theme Adjuster would work as it should.
dtr0q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 04:30 AM   #56
SnailDread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtr0q View Post
I think I've figured it out. Making changes in Theme Tweaking window and NOT saving it to a ReaperTheme file causes this Theme Adjuster problem. Save your custom theme to a file and Theme Adjuster would work as it should.

It looks like a legit solution, but, strange enough, it didn't work for me.
Customized Theme Adjuster, opened Theme Tweaking Window, saved it to a file, reloaded Reaper and all my changes were gone..
SnailDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 04:48 AM   #57
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnailDread View Post
It looks like a legit solution, but, strange enough, it didn't work for me.
Customized Theme Adjuster, opened Theme Tweaking Window, saved it to a file, reloaded Reaper and all my changes were gone..
Ok, so did you check that those Theme adjuster changes were actually shown in reaper-themeconfig.ini file (as described in post #1)?
Theme tweaker is a different entity. When you saved your tweaked theme in there, were you able to call back that tweaked theme later on? If so, were those theme tweaker (not Theme adjuster) changes still there?
Old 12-26-2019, 04:57 AM   #58
dtr0q

Quote:
Maybe there are some other settings that affect TA... Reaper has so many settings it's hard to track what causes bugs when they appear.
Also, try customize TA after saving theme.
dtr0q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 05:25 AM   #59
SnailDread

Quote:
Ok, so did you check that those Theme adjuster changes were actually shown in reaper-themeconfig.ini file (as described in post #1)?
Theme tweaker is a different entity. When you saved your tweaked theme in there, were you able to call back that tweaked theme later on? If so, were those theme tweaker (not Theme adjuster) changes still there?
Shame on me, but i haven't checked that, I just hoped that the suggested solution would work.
BUT!
Thanks for asking!! Here's why
I've just tried to swap to Default theme again, and then to my custom saved theme one more time to see if there will be change in the name inside the .ini file.
There was no change.
I swaped to Default again to make changes and to check if they were saved to .ini file.
And, you know, they were!!
I will do double checking now, but now I feel a little bit more excited
Old 12-26-2019, 02:16 PM   #60
SnailDread

dtr0q and xpander, thanks for the ideas!

So, my trials have led me to the conclusion that as long as you use clear Default theme - all the changes made in the Theme Adjuster are saved and work great.
As long as you change anything in the Theme tweak/configuration window, any color, even just one, it's no longer the Default Theme and so immideately no changes are saved anymore.
But if you save your customized theme to a dedicated theme file (it's made in that Tweak/configuration window) and put it's name to the reaper-themeconfig.ini file instead of [Default_6.0] - it works great again!
And you can still use the Theme Adjuster - you just need to run it from the Actions Menu.

Time will tell, but for now it seems working.
Old 12-26-2019, 03:03 PM   #61
ed78

Quote:
dtr0q and xpander, thanks for the ideas!

So, my trials have led me to the conclusion that as long as you use clear Default theme - all the changes made in the Theme Adjuster are saved and work great.
As long as you change anything in the Theme tweak/configuration window, any color, even just one, it's no longer the Default Theme and so immideately no changes are saved anymore.
But if you save your customized theme to a dedicated theme file (it's made in that Tweak/configuration window) and put it's name to the reaper-themeconfig.ini file instead of [Default_6.0] - it works great again!
And you can still use the Theme Adjuster - you just need to run it from the Actions Menu.

Time will tell, but for now it seems working.
Whoohoo! Tried it and it works. Brilliant!

Thanks.
Old 12-26-2019, 03:27 PM   #62
xpander

Good to hear you got it working SnailDread. My experiences when using the theme tweaker and Theme Adjuster with the v6 default theme are similar.

One more thing I've noticed about the Theme Adjuster. First, I save a new theme version (with a new theme name) in the theme tweaker. Then I can indeed add that name manually into the reaper-themeconfig.ini file and the Theme Adjuster will work with it, as long as I run it from Actions.

But once I have saved the theme in theme tweaker, I can also just run the Theme Adjuster from Actions right after that, and the new theme name and corresponding parameters will get added into the reaper-themeconfig.ini file.

---

And ed78 too, there you go!
Old 12-27-2019, 03:17 AM   #63
SnailDread

Quote:
Good to hear you got it working SnailDread. My experiences when using the theme tweaker and Theme Adjuster with the v6 default theme are similar.

One more thing I've noticed about the Theme Adjuster. First, I save a new theme version (with a new theme name) in the theme tweaker. Then I can indeed add that name manually into the reaper-themeconfig.ini file and the Theme Adjuster will work with it, as long as I run it from Actions.

But once I have saved the theme in theme tweaker, I can also just run the Theme Adjuster from Actions right after that, and the new theme name and corresponding parameters will get added into the reaper-themeconfig.ini file.

---

And ed78 too, there you go!
Cool! Seems to be working either way, great!
Old 01-11-2020, 02:26 PM   #64
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Additional consideration added to post #1, please take a look.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:26 PM   #65
Ledg

I'm through with the Theme Adjuster. It's stuck on a configuration that will not change. I have to readjust it every session. Let me know when it's fixed. Back to 5.0

EDIT: Seems to have been solved by the latest release. WTG!

Last edited by Ledg; 02-18-2020 at 02:09 PM. Reason: New info
Ledg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 07:02 AM   #66
Nick Hope

I'm using 6.08 in Windows 10.

Quote:
Has the value for param1 changed?!
Yes.

However, I was trying to change "Show FX Parameters" and "Show Icons" in Layout A in the Mixer Control Panel, but they don't write any changes to reaper-themeconfig.ini. I thought it might be because of this possible bug, but it turns out that they are set at a project level, and so if you want them to be on by default in new projects, you have set them in a default project template.

Another thing for easily-confused newbies like me who might find this thread, is that things like the Track Control Panel size (100%/150%/200%) are set in "Options > Layouts" menu. They don't stick globally if they are changed in the Theme Adjuster.
Nick Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 01:39 PM   #67
lilith93

Are there still issues with the theme adjuster?

I load the default Reaper 6 theme and make some changes with the theme adjuster, then I change the Walter 1 font size and save the same in the theme tweak window under a different name. After starting Reaper again and choosing the new theme. The changes made via the theme adjuster are gone and I also cannot choose the theme adjuster for that new theme. Only the font size stays. The new theme file has just a few kB while the original has ~20 MB.
lilith93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 02:38 PM   #68
JamesPeters

You should read this post to understand the differences between the two "types" of Reaper Theme files:

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...8&postcount=14

When you save changes to a theme from the old Theme Tweaker script, you're saving a new ".ReaperTheme" file, which has some settings (plus the ones you've saved) but from there it references the "Default_6.0.ReaperThemeZip" for the rest of the information/images.

The theme adjuster script is a per-theme thing. So when you launch it, it's only adjusting for the specific theme it's "linked" to. That means your new theme (which is a combination of a new ".ReaperTheme" file referencing resources within "Default_6.0.ReaperThemeZip") has no associated theme adjuster script.

You can go to the theme adjuster script folder (probably [user]/.config/REAPER/Scripts/Cockos/), make a copy of the "Default_6.0_theme_adjuster.lua" file, and rename it whatever you named your ".ReaperTheme" file (I'd recommend something other than Default 6 as the name). Then that theme adjuster script will be available from the menu (options->themes) when your new theme is loaded.

Note that you may have to do this again in the future, if the theme adjuster script gets updates along with other Reaper updates (because the Default 6 one will get updates, but your copied version won't).
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 11:13 AM   #69
lilith93

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
You should read this post to understand the differences between the two "types" of Reaper Theme files:

When you save changes to a theme from the old Theme Tweaker script, you're saving a new ".ReaperTheme" file, which has some settings (plus the ones you've saved) but from there it references the "Default_6.0.ReaperThemeZip" for the rest of the information/images.

The theme adjuster script is a per-theme thing. So when you launch it, it's only adjusting for the specific theme it's "linked" to. That means your new theme (which is a combination of a new ".ReaperTheme" file referencing resources within "Default_6.0.ReaperThemeZip") has no associated theme adjuster script.

You can go to the theme adjuster script folder (probably [user]/.config/REAPER/Scripts/Cockos/), make a copy of the "Default_6.0_theme_adjuster.lua" file, and rename it whatever you named your ".ReaperTheme" file (I'd recommend something other than Default 6 as the name). Then that theme adjuster script will be available from the menu (options->themes) when your new theme is loaded.

Note that you may have to do this again in the future, if the theme adjuster script gets updates along with other Reaper updates (because the Default 6 one will get updates, but your copied version won't).

Thanks, I'm going to try this.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:29 AM   #70
lilith93

Quote:
Update: in a dev build this has been added today: "saving tweaked versions of the default theme automatically use the default adjuster script". So I guess in the next official update it's possible you won't have to do what I said in that last post. At least if you're editing the default 6 theme anyway.
Yeah! I try it anyway now.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:48 AM   #71
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Please keep all dev talk in the dev channel. Just because you understand the risk of dev builds, however small, that doesn't mean everyone reading this will, and none of us want anyone to get into trouble. Aslo, remember there's no guarantee that something appearing in a dev build will ever make it to final release.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:31 PM   #72
lilith93

Quote:

It worked. Just saw that in my new theme the descriptions of the theme adjuster are screwed now. Not a problem, just wanted to mention it:

Old 06-03-2020, 10:47 PM   #73
gwok

I was having this problem and realized after a bit that I had to reselect the default theme again👍
gwok is offline   Reply With Quote