Old 12-15-2010, 10:15 PM   #81
FHStudios
Human being with feelings

Is there anyway to easily get Volume and Pan controls on the TCP?
I don't have two monitors, so having the mixer panel up at all times isn't really an option.

But anyways, this theme is incredible! Easily the best looking Pro-Tools theme. Lots of props to you for putting so much effort into this theme, thanks!
FHStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:11 PM   #82
sightlessness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post
It SHOULD now work perfect.
Just drag and drop the ReaperThemeZip to your Reaper desktop icon and viola.

Make sure your mixer is set to "Pan Controls at Top"

Let me know

I'll make a normal-panner version, using the lovely panner and panbg from RADO.
Ok, I will try it again. Thank you Aeolian. BTW, the pentatonic is better ... LOL (forget about modes, although Ionian is nice :P )
Old 12-16-2010, 07:54 AM   #83
everbeatz

Quote:
It SHOULD now work perfect.
Just drag and drop the ReaperThemeZip to your Reaper desktop icon and viola.

Make sure your mixer is set to "Pan Controls at Top"

Let me know

I'll make a normal-panner version, using the lovely panner and panbg from RADO.
pan controls don't show up even after setting them to "Pan Controls at Top"

any clue?
everbeatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:40 PM   #84
Aeolian

Go to layouts and select the mixer default layout.

The thin mixer doesnt have the pans, because the mixer is too thin to contain the row horizontally (in this theme)
Aeolian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:57 PM   #85
Aeolian

Allow me to correct my last post

We have proper pan knobs now, and the PT9_wALTERED theme in the stash now has PT themed pan knobs (that dont slide) on all mixer layouts, default AND thin.

The Sliding Knob is Dead, Buried, History.

The second i work out how to get gen_knob_small/large.png to show up, i can change the knob-turn-arc from black to the correct glow lime green, so it looks right over the knob as it turns.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:41 PM   #86
musicbynumbers

Nice one!

Be really funny when 4 comes out and some one gives a complete pro tools overhaul zip that gives you menus, mouse modifiers, look etc but with the reaper stuff underneath it all as a bonus!
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:25 PM   #87
sightlessness

Quote:
Allow me to correct my last post

We have proper pan knobs now, and the PT9_wALTERED theme in the stash now has PT themed pan knobs (that dont slide) on all mixer layouts, default AND thin.

The Sliding Knob is Dead, Buried, History.

The second i work out how to get gen_knob_small/large.png to show up, i can change the knob-turn-arc from black to the correct glow lime green, so it looks right over the knob as it turns.
Yes, sorry, I know you liked them so much.

Now I can say it? ROTATING KNOBS!!! YAY!
Old 12-17-2010, 02:14 PM   #88
Aeolian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Nice one!

Be really funny when 4 comes out and some one gives a complete pro tools overhaul zip that gives you menus, mouse modifiers, look etc but with the reaper stuff underneath it all as a bonus!
The download includes a menuset, a keymap, and a cursor folder, allowing you to do exactly that.

Im winding these up into a configzip file tonight, that will do all that with a single click.
Soon the download in the stash will have just a themezip file and a configzip file.

And like you stated, i like to have the PT menus and kc's, but i also cannot live without some of the default reaper menus, and reaper allows me to have them sitting below the PT ones in the menu, perfectly seperated!

I now need to clean up the panknob bg, and the toolbar bg is out of whack, now that we can pin it across the top (YES!), so i will fix that tonight.

Ive also reduced the amount of hard black in the entire theme, making it both a bit more PT authentic, and much easier on the eyes.
The MIDI piano roll now has the default PT greys and blues.
Ive fixed a few mistakes in the menuset.
I made a sexy Beat Detective icon (the guy in the hat) and mapped that to SWS/AW: Fill Gaps Between Selected items (Advanced). Its now in Toolbar 3

Quite a few cosmetic fixes coming, but today i have a family christmas party

Will upload tonight, Sydney time.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:39 PM   #89
Aeolian

Done .....

The rar file now has

*ReaperThemeZip
*ReaperConfigZip
*ReaperKeyMap

The KeyMap is included because the configzip doesnt always set the kc's right.

You will know if the kc's are mapped right if Ctrl+= is mapped to show/hide mixer.

Will fix asap
Hopefully this will finally be finished by v4 release
Old 12-17-2010, 03:09 PM   #90
J3FFR3Y2692

...Aeolian....

...I love you.
J3FFR3Y2692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:38 PM   #91
YoRugMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3FFR3Y2692 View Post
...Aeolian....

...I love you.
Yep, +1.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:29 PM   #92
FngrStck

Howdy. Thanks for the updates. I like the pans better this way.......I do have one more request. I edited some actions to suit me a little better, but I can't pull up the playrate slider on the transport by checking the option. I think cause PT doesn't have this??? Anyway to impletment this? Thanks Michael
FngrStck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:01 PM   #93
Aeolian

The playrate slider is there. You can get to it by going to Layouts>Transport>Extended

When you have the Extended transport showing, pull down the bottom edge of the transport and the playrate will be revealed.

The normal default (mini) transport has a bottom pull down as well, revealing the clock/counter display.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:33 AM   #94
jedstar2000

Default Oh my gosh Reaper can Rip any MCP

Ok This is not meant to imply anything about the work that is presented hear but it raises a good point. Now we can use images of any size at any position it make it a simple process to Rip off a channel strip from any other Daw provided you have a .png file of it.

This is for demonstration purpose only and is not a real theme although it really wouldn't take much to punch a few holes in it and have it fully working. (Look at wt imperial)

Question what is described as copyright material hear. Can I for instance use the buttons in a different theme, it seems like a very fine line between doing a identical rip and merely taking parts.

simply food for fought as I don't want to see anyone get in trouble.

[img]http://img715.**************/img715/4874/protoolsrip.png[/img]
jedstar2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 04:26 AM   #95
karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedstar2000 View Post
Question what is described as copyright material hear. Can I for instance use the buttons in a different theme, it seems like a very fine line between doing a identical rip and merely taking parts.

simply food for fought as I don't want to see anyone get in trouble.
This is something I've sometimes wondered about - even with some of the Reaper 3 (and earlier) themes. Something doesn't have to be an exact like-for-like duplicate to infringe copyright, and I'd say quite a few themes already do! Just because the buttons are in a different place doesn't make it less so!

As for anyone getting into trouble... well, as I understand it, it's mainly Cockos who need to be wary as the themes are hosted on their web services - it's the owners of a website that are ultimately responsible for the content it contains (though it can be a grey area), and any disclaimers to the contrary don't change this from a legal point of view.

That's my take on it anyway, but I'm no lawyer!
karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:52 AM   #96
Aeolian

Thanks for your thoughts jed
I have indeed thought about this.

However, like yourself, I'm not exactly certain where that fine line is.
A couple of things immediately come to mind.

1) Im just doing what has already been going on for years. WALTER is infinitely more powerful than the v3 theme editor, so maybe what no one gave two flying shits about for years now, has truly changed.
The logic theme has been sitting in the stash for years without complaint. That logic theme looks pretty authentic, even at v3, IMHO.

2) Emulating every minute aspect of PTs workings and applying them directly to PT has been par for the course for a while now too. I learned how to do this theme from the massive amount of PT tweaks available HERE (symbiotic in a way). I just wanted to consolidate them all, and i guess i got a bit carried away

3) Where exactly is that fine line? If i rename SWS/AW: Fill Gaps In Selected Items (Advanced) to "Beat Detective" ... Have i crossed it?
If i rip a mute button, have i crossed it?
It seems that the former would be ok, but the latter wouldnt.

4) If someone walks into a studio and confuses my theme with the genuine article, then i guess i am both flattered and a tad worried, but no engineer worth their salt would confuse the two after even ten secs of actual usage. Could THIS hurt their sales? That would be extremely hard to prove on many many levels. i think/assume cockos lean this way as well, and that is why the theme rip fest has been allowed to flourish.
The api theme has an actual brand logo (the coolest part about the theme actually, besides the -authentic- api560EQ pan sliders)

5) Reaper isnt and never will be PT. Its just too different at its core.
PT is a DAW with a set specific workflow and Reaper is almost completely modular in its "workflow".
This is an emulation mode for Reaper, for fans of PT, that (attempts to) emulate that one set-specific workflow. There is that one set (my theme), or a bazillion others.
The fact that Reaper can "do the chameleon" so easily and with such extremes is just one of many reasons why Reaper will go on to become the new industry standard. With regard to my theme, that will be a strange irony for me.

6) To be totally honest, this was more a testing ground for WALTER, for me.
Its certainly been fun and educational, but like i said before, i think i got a bit carried away.
First Emulation, then hopefully once i got my feet wet i can go on to create a really good ORIGINAL theme.

7) Your mashup is pure mockup ...... there are at least ten things in that screenshot that would never fly
Old 12-18-2010, 06:17 AM   #97
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

> Just my personal uninformed opinion <

It seems clear to me that if you're taking images from another DAW and using them to make a theme, you're infringing copyright material. I don't really see how there can be any doubt about that. I would certainly hope that, at the very least, if the owner asked you (or anyone doing likewise) to stop, you would ...even if it were for no other reason than being a gentleman about it.

Being realistic I would expect that, sooner or later, someone's going to get upset or someone's going to get in trouble. So, there's value in avoiding that.

I also have (quite unscientifically) done a couple of tests with pre-walter 'tribute' themes and users from other DAWs, to see if they found the transition easier. I found that they indeed made the user initially feel much more at home and engaged (good) but ultimately were counter-productive because they seemed to expect the controls (which looked as they were used to) to behave exactly the same way as they did in their DAW, which of course they didn't, because its Reaper. And confusion ensued. There's definitely a crossover point on this... matching comparable shortcuts, for example, is a 100% effective way of easing the transition to Reaper. So the 'matched theme' thing seems a grey area.

It appears apparent to me that the obvious solution to both situations is to create 'other DAW similar' themes - elements look similar without being directly stolen, positioning done much the same wherever it is appropriate but NOT when the functionality is radically different, bundled shortcuts that are as close as makes sense. Thereby the transitioning user could feel 'at home', get their work done more comfortably, but not get led astray about the fact that some things in Reaper area just going to be different and will need learning and the benefit of a little bit of experience. And no one gets in trouble. I appreciate that means you have to draw your own graphics, which is quite a task, but worth it I think.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:08 AM   #98
FngrStck

Hot damn... Thank you.
FngrStck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:22 AM   #99
SEA

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
> you have to draw your own graphics, which is quite a task, but worth it I think.
What about taking a pic of some knobs from real consoles with a digital camera then edit them in Photo Shop or something? Not sure but would that make it easier to design some knobs vs. draw them from scratch?

Of perhaps use pics as a model of what you are drawing.

http://www.facebook.com/jamieseamusic
SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:17 AM   #100
KeithReyn

Whats the correct way to install this theme? Im pretty confused because the folder stuff changed so much it seems. The file i have now is the latest one with just the 3 files. It doesnt look right for me. Can someone fill me in on the correct way to install it?
Thanks!!!!

How do i set pan knobs to the top of the mixer? i cant find it! Also, The toolbar icons are still the default. The fader lanes are really small too. inch and a half maybe. im pretty sure the config and keymap stuff arent installed right either. I see what it looks like when everything is right, and it looks amazing. I LOVE the colors of everything. Amazing job dude! I just want mine to look right so I can enjoy this awesome theme!!!

Last edited by KeithReyn; 12-18-2010 at 11:00 AM.
KeithReyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:09 PM   #101
Lazz

Love the theme

Fantastic job

Although I cant seem to get it going the right way

this is what I got

Pans dont work, they just go 100% L-R?

Whats circled seems wrong and I cant get the transport to show BPM,etc,etc?
Lazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:08 PM   #102
Aeolian

OK ..... i am going to pull this theme.
I think its the right thing to do.

No one has asked me to, but i am going to anyway.

It was an absolute blast putting it all together, and although some things were simply "chop and shop", some other elements were really damn hard to overcome.
It was fun ....... WT Imperial is better anyway
Old 12-18-2010, 03:19 PM   #103
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

hmm... I still think you should consider option B : draw, or find someone else to draw, similar bits. These themes do have a place, its just a matter of careful handling and hitting it just the right side of the line.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:24 PM   #104
BenK-msx

- fair enough though. but as a final hurrah could you help us get it working 'A OK' for those like above and myself that are getting odd results first!?

I can understand how it might feel a bit weird doing a clone and you don't want to get hate mail from PT nuts. i know i wouldn't.

i'd just like to try it out properly but can't get a normal toolbar to appear atm, it could be remnants of older versions/ different install methods.

-

interesting turn of events though in retrospect - user after user clamours for PT behaviour, look and feel but without the hardwired approach, then when we get it it's like "oh - why did i want this again?, me n walter can make it look and behave far cooler than That -

no doubt it will be handy for regular PT folk whom i respect greatly (yada yada disclaimer if anything above was considered anti-PT, which it isn't )
Old 12-18-2010, 04:09 PM   #105
jedstar2000

I don't think you need to pull it , you've had no complaints so far and I think its dissimilar enough not to afend anyone over at avid. I was only referring to perusing an exact replica or rip . I think WT's absolutely right what you've posted so far is a great start and contains allot of original work ,It could certainly be tweaked into a great theme and would probably make more sense with some of the labeling. I just didn't want to see you get carried away. I know I would certainly would be tempted.

From what I hear the guys at Avid aren't power crazy trolls and would probably ask you to take it down if they had a problem .
jedstar2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:21 AM   #106
Win Conway

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedstar2000 View Post
although it really wouldn't take much to punch a few holes in it and have it fully working.
I don't think you could have it fully working
Don't those dials have an animated line around them ? (Which is impossible in Reaper because it doesn't support animated dials)
Win Conway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:02 AM   #107
J3FFR3Y2692

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
- fair enough though. but as a final hurrah could you help us get it working 'A OK' for those like above and myself that are getting odd results first!?

I can understand how it might feel a bit weird doing a clone and you don't want to get hate mail from PT nuts. i know i wouldn't.

i'd just like to try it out properly but can't get a normal toolbar to appear atm, it could be remnants of older versions/ different install methods.

-

interesting turn of events though in retrospect - user after user clamours for PT behaviour, look and feel but without the hardwired approach, then when we get it it's like "oh - why did i want this again?, me n walter can make it look and behave far cooler than That -

no doubt it will be handy for regular PT folk whom i respect greatly (yada yada disclaimer if anything above was considered anti-PT, which it isn't )
If you don't like how the Reaper toolbar looks with the PTbackground on it, download the attachment on this post, open it up and drag the ReaperThemeZip file onto Reaper. Not sure if it will work though, try it out. I modified it a bit, hopefully it looks better. =]
Attached Files
File Type: zip PT9_wALTERED.zip (1.16 MB, 273 views)
J3FFR3Y2692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:09 AM   #108
YoRugMan

Quote:
OK ..... i am going to pull this theme.
I think its the right thing to do.

No one has asked me to, but i am going to anyway.
Wait.... What?
and..... Why?

Why not at least wait until R4 is out of Beta?
Old 12-19-2010, 09:41 PM   #109
Aeolian

Sorry guys ..... i mistakenly got the impression that i was stepping on a few toes.

No hard feelings at all, deep down i kinda agreed with the advice that jed and WT gave me.

Also, like i mentioned, it was more a "proof of concept" for WALTER, to see how far WALTER could have taken it, and to dive in and learn WALTER at the deep end of the pool.
Doing a theme that MUST conform to a battery of specific criteria was certainly an eye opener

I will whack the zip back in the stash (if the devs ask me to remove it i will instantly).

I think i have taken it as far as i can, anyone else is free to take it the extra mile .....
There are a few menus left to conquer 100% exact, a few other bits and bobs.
It certainly isnt all my work, it is very much a "community" effort IMHO.
I just put it all together in one place and themed it.

There are quite a few things in that zip that could be MUCH better ( a logarithmic db scale printed down the side of the fader on the mcp would be absolutely golden .... this would consequently "fix" the size of that section of the mixer, but that would be PT authentic )

As you can see, I need a rest from it for a few weeks
Old 12-19-2010, 09:51 PM   #110
Aeolian

https://stash.reaper.fm/v/7364/PT9_wALTERED.rar

Enjoy

EDIT: If you have an older version, definitely download this last one.

Use the ReaperThemeZip file if you want the theme only, but still want your own/default menus, cursors and keycommands.

Use the ReaperConfigZip file if you want EVERYTHING (menus, cursors, kc's, THE LOT) to go PT style.

dont worry about the KeyMap file, it is already in the ConfigZip.

Last edited by Aeolian; 12-19-2010 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:36 AM   #111
lawrs

[img]http://img543.**************/img543/1691/kimapplausebig.gif[/img]
lawrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:16 AM   #112
mim

Good work Aeolian !

I don't use Pro tools, but I'd like to give the PT Waltered to sound editors so they can try reaper without feeling lost.

I had a little check, and I didn't figure out how to switch to Triple tool mode. Is it possible now ?

Thanks
mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:17 PM   #113
WYSYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
> Just my personal uninformed opinion <

It seems clear to me that if you're taking images from another DAW and using them to make a theme, you're infringing copyright material. I don't really see how there can be any doubt about that. I would certainly hope that, at the very least, if the owner asked you (or anyone doing likewise) to stop, you would ...even if it were for no other reason than being a gentleman about it.

Being realistic I would expect that, sooner or later, someone's going to get upset or someone's going to get in trouble. So, there's value in avoiding that.

I also have (quite unscientifically) done a couple of tests with pre-walter 'tribute' themes and users from other DAWs, to see if they found the transition easier. I found that they indeed made the user initially feel much more at home and engaged (good) but ultimately were counter-productive because they seemed to expect the controls (which looked as they were used to) to behave exactly the same way as they did in their DAW, which of course they didn't, because its Reaper. And confusion ensued. There's definitely a crossover point on this... matching comparable shortcuts, for example, is a 100% effective way of easing the transition to Reaper. So the 'matched theme' thing seems a grey area.

It appears apparent to me that the obvious solution to both situations is to create 'other DAW similar' themes - elements look similar without being directly stolen, positioning done much the same wherever it is appropriate but NOT when the functionality is radically different, bundled shortcuts that are as close as makes sense. Thereby the transitioning user could feel 'at home', get their work done more comfortably, but not get led astray about the fact that some things in Reaper area just going to be different and will need learning and the benefit of a little bit of experience. And no one gets in trouble. I appreciate that means you have to draw your own graphics, which is quite a task, but worth it I think.
I have always wondered about this aspect of Reaper themes but I definitely agree...it is better to be safe than sorry. :-)
Old 12-20-2010, 05:21 PM   #114
Aeolian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mim View Post
Good work Aeolian !

I don't use Pro tools, but I'd like to give the PT Waltered to sound editors so they can try reaper without feeling lost.

I had a little check, and I didn't figure out how to switch to Triple tool mode. Is it possible now ?

Thanks
Reaper is ALWAYS in Smart Tool mode (which you can tweak further with the mouse editor )

Just hover over an audio item in various places (centre, edge, top corner edge, anywhere else) to see what i mean.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:25 PM   #115
timlloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mim View Post
No it's not, and it won't be. This is the thing..........that theme may look (kind of) like Pro Tools, but as has been said already, it isn't PT..........and it's never going to be.

Aeolian has more helpful things to say in response
timlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:40 PM   #116
mim

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlloyd View Post
No it's not, and it won't be. This is the thing..........that theme may look (kind of) like Pro Tools, but as has been said already, it isn't PT..........and it's never going to be.
Yeah I know, I was just wondering why the config file of the PT waltered doesn't change the mouse modifiers to behave like the triple-tool.
mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:17 PM   #117
lawrs

[img]http://img821.**************/img821/374/trackbg.jpg[/img]

Added some gradient to have some texture.

Thanks Aeolian
Old 12-21-2010, 03:07 AM   #118
lawrs

[img]http://img815.**************/img815/6740/hehehefd.jpg[/img]
Heheheh
Old 12-21-2010, 06:10 AM   #119
Aeolian

That is looking damn sweet!

MUCHO better than the flat grey.

Your tcp autoread png looks more consistant too.

You gotta upload those new pngs
Old 12-21-2010, 06:32 AM   #120
AdamWathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrs View Post
[img]http://img815.**************/img815/6740/hehehefd.jpg[/img]
Heheheh
See this is sweet, take the PT look and actually apply it to the way Reaper works and make new PT-ish buttons for important Reaper functions...

I'm curious to see what comes of this, looks neat!
AdamWathan is offline   Reply With Quote