Old 12-03-2010, 10:10 AM   #81
Reflected
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
* It seems to be that many users would love to be able to delete/remove a note with right-click when using "single click inserts/removes note", I'm one of them.

Right now we insert/remove notes with left-click. I know right-click is a common "show me a menu" behaviour of REAPER but maybe in ME it could be achieved with a modifer because you delete notes more times than you look at that menu and a single right-click is really fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflected View Post
+1
Right click (sweep-erase notes)

the mouse zone editor = best solution. (I know that you know it...,I think that we need to make it more obvious that the priority for the mouse zone editor is really suprior because it will automatically fix about 1000 requests...I suggest that we will support it with our signature...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
+1...............
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
I'd like to see ...

- Right click delete notes. +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiroVai View Post
Remove notes with right click?? YES PLEASE!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidProj3ct View Post
Totally agree. I thought that this was a bug even.

In a highly configurable host as reaper, I don't understand why they don't allow this.

+1 to both sugestion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragile View Post
Totally agree
Quote:
Originally Posted by zappa View Post
+1 to the above (with sweep erase too). It's also consistent with CC lane behaviour.

z.
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...136#post443136
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:45 AM   #82
IXix

Note schmote. Right-click to do anything you want it to.
IXix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:51 AM   #83
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
being able to left single click to insert notes/right click or drag to erase notes.
You can do both of those things now (though the descriptions will be made clearer in the next build).

There is a MIDI piano roll mouse modifier action "paint notes", which fills the MIDI grid with notes as you move the mouse. With the next build it will paint the first note immediately, currently it doesn't paint until you move the mouse. This action will work even if "single click inserts notes" is disabled.

There is a MIDI marquee mouse modifier action "erase notes (no marquee)", which maps right-click and drag to note erase. With the next build the MIDI marquee context will be renamed "MIDI right mouse", since it contains more than just marquee actions.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:57 AM   #84
musicbynumbers

Great stuff! With the note paint modifier it would be great it it could somehow be made to limit it to only drawing one not per horizontal grid position as now if you try and draw diagonally you end up with a lot of notes on top of each other vertically which may not be that useful

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
You can do both of those things now (though the descriptions will be made clearer in the next build).

There is a MIDI piano roll mouse modifier action "paint notes", which fills the MIDI grid with notes as you move the mouse. With the next build it will paint the first note immediately, currently it doesn't paint until you move the mouse. This action will work even if "single click inserts notes" is disabled.

There is a MIDI marquee mouse modifier action "erase notes (no marquee)", which maps right-click and drag to note erase. With the next build the MIDI marquee context will be renamed "MIDI right mouse", since it contains more than just marquee actions.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:03 PM   #85
Subz

i guess this is not coming in 4.0,

but i hope in the end all options will be available to all mouse buttons (i have 2 wheels & 5 buttons on my mouse)

Subz
Subz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:13 PM   #86
Reflected

Quote:

great!

now if you could use your amazing skills to improve this:
CC sensitivity - mouse control area improvments

I will enjoy the piano roll in reaper much more.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:37 PM   #87
Kundalinguist

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
...With the note paint modifier it would be great it it could somehow be made to limit it to only drawing one not per horizontal grid position as now if you try and draw diagonally you end up with a lot of notes on top of each other vertically which may not be that useful
Yes. Using my trackball it's a traffic jam as 3 or 4 notes stack up vertically like a chord. Even a menu selection (horizontal/vertical only or something)?

Last edited by Kundalinguist; 12-03-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Kundalinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:11 PM   #88
beatbybit

awesome feature, i already removed the "CTR+drag = Pencil.." thing with it!

wooo!

please, could you add "LOOP selection (only)" and "Scrolls hand-style" to the Track actions?

thank you

Last edited by beatbybit; 12-19-2010 at 08:15 AM.
beatbybit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:14 PM   #89
gofer
-blänk-

I love how alt+drag a MIDI note restricts editing to note velocity, that's super handy.

It would be even cooler if I could do the following:

- leftclick +drag to draw in a note and place it to the desired pitch (which is default behavior)
a) don't release the mouse button, press/hold the Alt modifier and now control the velocity of the note I just painted (without clicking again)
b) don't release the mouse button, press/hold some other modifier and now control the note position (without clicking again)
c) release all modifiers and continue to control the note length/pitch

That would allow for inputting the most important aspects of a MIDI note with just one maneuver. (Hehe, yet another modifier to cycle through channels would ensure nirvana).

Do I make sense?
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:52 PM   #90
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kundalinguist View Post
Yes. Using my trackball it's a traffic jam as 3 or 4 notes stack up vertically like a chord. Even a menu selection (horizontal/vertical only or something)?
It's better in alpha 4 as you can't place a note right above or below by one semitone now but it might be even better if it if it only allows something obviously musical like 5th's and octaves (until you move to the next grid position) or even just 3 notes up or down
Old 12-03-2010, 07:21 PM   #91
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
It's better in alpha 4 as you can't place a note right above or below by one semitone now but it might be even better if it if it only allows something obviously musical like 5th's and octaves (until you move to the next grid position) or even just 3 notes up or down
Are you sure it's better in alpha4? I was about to write a bug report about it but was not sure how to word it. I can't paint notes on some 1/16th grid divisions for example. On other divisions the new "don't paint neighbor pitch" thing is not obeyed.

Anyway, I am not sure how such a paint thing is expected to behave, but should it really restrict you to some artificial scale? I think there needs to be a scale sortiment to choose from. That would help with not painting clashing pitches already and be a more musical approach, or not? (edit: I just see that you say something similar... I should have a nap)
Maybe some rhythmic pattern brush would be the next enhancement, (seems not out of reach, when I look at my missing grid division issue that already has some similarities )

Ooops, not really the appropriate thread, sorry for the detour.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:43 PM   #92
Kundalinguist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
...Maybe some rhythmic pattern brush would be the next enhancement, (seems not out of reach, when I look at my missing grid division issue that already has some similarities )
Just a quick note [no need to reply ] DP calls this the "rhythm brush" feature. It's based on ready made drum grooves or custom grooves you can write yourself. A good addition for Reaper.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:07 PM   #93
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Just a quick note [no need to reply ] DP calls this the "rhythm brush" feature. It's based on ready made drum grooves or custom grooves you can write yourself. A good addition for Reaper.
samplitude has this as well - I don't see a huge need for it, but it is neat.
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:08 PM   #94
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Are you sure it's better in alpha4? I was about to write a bug report about it but was not sure how to word it. I can't paint notes on some 1/16th grid divisions for example. On other divisions the new "don't paint neighbor pitch" thing is not obeyed.

Anyway, I am not sure how such a paint thing is expected to behave, but should it really restrict you to some artificial scale? I think there needs to be a scale sortiment to choose from. That would help with not painting clashing pitches already and be a more musical approach, or not? (edit: I just see that you say something similar... I should have a nap)
Maybe some rhythmic pattern brush would be the next enhancement, (seems not out of reach, when I look at my missing grid division issue that already has some similarities )

Ooops, not really the appropriate thread, sorry for the detour.
I am not totally sure either - perhaps the paint should have some kind of interesting settings. This could be very interesting. Perhaps, modifiers for fourths, fifths, thirds, etc...

maybe that goes a little too far.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:09 PM   #95
Jae.Thomas

Quote:

well that makes sense - I didn't see anything for right click at all, so I wasn't sure that was able to be done. Sorry.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:28 PM   #96
Mercado_Negro

Back in v3 I used to deselect items and place my edit cursor by clicking here:

What happened to that? How can I get that behavior back?
Old 12-04-2010, 12:45 AM   #97
EricM

Quote:
(...)

That would allow for inputting the most important aspects of a MIDI note with just one maneuver. (Hehe, yet another modifier to cycle through channels would ensure nirvana).

Do I make sense?
a) yes b) yes c) yes, this makes total sense and would increase
the speed of midi note inputing by mouse drastically.

e
Old 12-04-2010, 05:08 AM   #98
jens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subz View Post
i guess this is not coming in 4.0,

but i hope in the end all options will be available to all mouse buttons (i have 2 wheels & 5 buttons on my mouse)

Subz

well, Reaper already supports it... if your mouse-driver functions properly, that is.

It's done like this:

Your mousee-driver should allow to program the buttons so the three additional ones can act as strg, shift, alt.

If you can press them all at once (again depending on your mouse), you can trigger eight different actions on each of eight different zones on the main workspace now, so that's a total of 64 actions you could trigger with your mouse alone, and 8*5 more on the MIDI-editor.
jens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:02 AM   #99
Reflected

Needed action for contex: Media item ->

"Move item with relative snap"
Old 12-04-2010, 06:31 AM   #100
Spyrow

Please please give the option of left click marquee!
Spyrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:25 AM   #101
Jae.Thomas

I like it how the mouse cursor shows a paintbrush when I am about to use the left click/drag paint mode that I currently have selected. However, is this supposed to leave all of the notes you painted selected also? I am not so sure I like that.

Secondly, how come, when I hit "alt", the erase cursor comes up, and when i left click, it erases. My "erase" is assigned to right click/sweep - and I don't see the erase cursor in that case...

[img]http://img821.**************/img821/7352/midiy.gif[/img]
Old 12-04-2010, 07:35 AM   #102
Reflected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyrow View Post
Please please give the option of left click marquee!
+1

and also +1 for JBM
Old 12-04-2010, 09:02 AM   #103
Kundalinguist

Quote:
However, is this supposed to leave all of the notes you painted selected also? I am not so sure I like that.
I agree. Deselect notes after painting them.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:28 AM   #104
Seventh

About mouse modifiers in MIDI editor:

Goal: to be able to move edit cursor when clicking on the piano roll with a modifier key pressed (shift in this case).

First I try to add an action to the "MIDI piano roll" sub menu for modifier keys. But, there is no option for custom actions. Then I select "Pass through to MIDI ruler context" hoping that it passes the click from piano roll to the ruler. Still no luck. I can select time by shift+drag, but single clicks don't seem to pass through.

Could you maybe enable custom actions in the piano roll context, or maybe make the "pass through" actions pass single clicks to the target context please?
Seventh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:39 AM   #105
musicbynumbers

Default Options for "remove" time selection or loop in "double-click ruler"

Be great to have those as options for ruler double click to quickly get rid of loop or time selection without having to reach for the keyboard or set up an action for it (although perhaps that's why they have been left out?)

Sometimes you can end up with tiny loop or time select areas when trying to remove them by manually setting your start and end point to the same.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:44 AM   #106
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Be great to have those as options for ruler double click to quickly get rid of loop or time selection without having to reach for the keyboard or set up an action for it (although perhaps that's why they have been left out?)

Sometimes you can end up with tiny loop or time select areas when trying to remove them by manually setting your start and end point to the same.
C'mon, we have actions for that and we can assign them in the Mouse Modifier section
Old 12-04-2010, 10:45 AM   #107
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Deselect notes after painting them.
What's the reason for not wanting them selected?

Also, for restricting the vertical stacking of painted notes, how about if it selects notes while you are drawing them, and prevents drawing two selected notes at the same time position regardless of pitch. When the paint action is finished, the selection could be cleared if people prefer it that way.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:15 PM   #108
gwok

not sure if this is in the realm of being feasible, but i think it would be good to have a context category for this

[IMG]http://img530.**************/img530/443/screenshot20101204at120.png[/IMG]

and this

[IMG]http://img403.**************/img403/443/screenshot20101204at120.th.png[/IMG]

that way for example - one could say assign control click - to select track or somethin, and it wouldn't matter where on the track you clicked, it would select the track -

or another example would be cmd click=I\O

not sure if that's realistic, though i thought I'd put it out there

g
gwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:25 PM   #109
Jeffos
Mortal

Quote:
Back in v3 I used to deselect items and place my edit cursor by clicking here:

What happened to that? How can I get that behavior back?
Big +1! noticed that too, I messed round the prefs but I can't get it to work either (now it selects the related item, the pref "Draw labels above items.." was sufficient in v3). this is a time saver with huge/busy mixes..
Jeffos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:29 PM   #110
musicbynumbers

Quote:
What's the reason for not wanting them selected?

Also, for restricting the vertical stacking of painted notes, how about if it selects notes while you are drawing them, and prevents drawing two selected notes at the same time position regardless of pitch. When the paint action is finished, the selection could be cleared if people prefer it that way.
For now perhaps the "only one note per grid" paint option is better but I would be happy with just a third instead of a two (which I think we have now?) and that should give enough space to not draw two in one grid space by accident even with steep diagonal movements.

HOW ABOUT.. eventually a cc modifier/little window that allows you to choose the vertical spacing of drawn notes (or perhaps we should rain check that one!)
Old 12-04-2010, 12:44 PM   #111
jedstar2000

Quote:
You can assign any action or custom action to double-click (plus modifiers if you want). What's not there at the moment is the ability to assign actions to single-click -- instead you can assign behaviors. We'll certainly think about adding the ability to assign actions to single-click, though.
Yes please double click is nice but single click would be better

Is it possible to assign custom actions to to double-click modifiers using an action or does it have to be set in prefs . Also would it be possible to include the word modifier to all the actions that allow you to change modifiers as they seem a little hard to find in the action list.
jedstar2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:25 PM   #112
Evan

I didn't find it at first glance, but is it currently possible to assign the arrangement view hand-scroll to a mouse+modifier? It used to be middle-mouse button in v3 if I remember correctly.

It would be important for me to have this available for customization (to other than the scroll-wheel). Anyone else think so?
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:27 PM   #113
beatbybit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post
I didn't find it at first glance, but is it currently possible to assign the arrangement view hand-scroll to a mouse+modifier? It used to be middle-mouse button in v3 if I remember correctly.

It would be important for me to have this available for customization (to other than the scroll-wheel). Anyone else think so?

"please, could you add "LOOP selection (only)" and "hand grab-navigation" to the Track actions?" in post #88
Old 12-04-2010, 01:36 PM   #114
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedstar2000 View Post
Yes please double click is nice but single click would be better

Is it possible to assign custom actions to to double-click modifiers using an action or does it have to be set in prefs . Also would it be possible to include the word modifier to all the actions that allow you to change modifiers as they seem a little hard to find in the action list.
Single click actions should be able to be possible if the devs can make it so they only activate on release of mouse button.

That way if you decide to then move whilst the mouse button is held down it automatically cancels the action that would of happened on mouse click release.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:38 PM   #115
musicbynumbers

Default Separate Double modifiers for MIDI items as well as Audio items.

I would love to be able to have separate double "clickers" for midi items (and even empty items) as then I can have..

-top half (open the main midi editor)

-bottom half (open the inline editor)
Old 12-04-2010, 05:26 PM   #116
Mercado_Negro

I'm having some serious problems to adapt myself to "Select one item and time" for the bottom part of items because it moves the edit cursor. I think it shouldn't move it IF "Move edit cursor when clicking media items" is disabled.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:33 PM   #117
Jae.Thomas

can we please have the bottom/top stuff work at lower zoom levels?
Old 12-04-2010, 05:37 PM   #118
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
can we please have the bottom/top stuff work at lower zoom levels?
Sure

Old 12-04-2010, 05:38 PM   #119
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Sure

DOH!!!!!!

thanks
Old 12-04-2010, 07:33 PM   #120
Seventh

Quote:
Single click actions should be able to be possible if the devs can make it so they only activate on release of mouse button.

That way if you decide to then move whilst the mouse button is held down it automatically cancels the action that would of happened on mouse click release.
Yes exactly! Either pass it on as a single click or as a "marquee"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventh View Post
About mouse modifiers in MIDI editor:

Goal: to be able to move edit cursor when clicking on the piano roll with a modifier key pressed (shift in this case).

First I try to add an action to the "MIDI piano roll" sub menu for modifier keys. But, there is no option for custom actions. Then I select "Pass through to MIDI ruler context" hoping that it passes the click from piano roll to the ruler. Still no luck. I can select time by shift+drag, but single clicks don't seem to pass through.

Could you maybe enable custom actions in the piano roll context, or maybe make the "pass through" actions pass single clicks to the target context please?
Seventh is offline   Reply With Quote