Old 12-09-2006, 07:51 AM   #1
Mamba
Human being with feelings

Default Basic Soundfont questions

Hello All,

First let me start by saying that I am a total newbie when it comes to recording. I downloaded Reaper a about a week ago and have been making what I think is good progress. I have Dell version of SB Audigy. It's actually a SigmaTel sound chip integrated to the MB, not separate. It is combined with SB's Creative Suite with several banks of soundfonts.

OK, now here's my question. I've downloaded a bunch free VSTI's and have been able to play and record those sounds in Reaper just fine but I want to play and record the sounds from my soundcard as well. Is there a way to do this or am I out of luck?

Also noticed that Reaper has a few VSTI's that come with the system that seem incomplete or at least don't have a complete bank of instruments, am I missing something with these? Do I need to put these together with some of Effects that come with the basic software.

Thanks in advance for you're help.

Scott.
Mamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 03:58 PM   #2
Art Evans
Mortal

The easiest way to use Soundfonts with Reaper is to download the sfz soundfont player VSTi - google for soundfont sfz - and then use it within Reaper like any other vst instrument.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 04:05 PM   #3
teej813

I'd second the use of SFZ. Really easy to use.

You'll need soundfonts to use. Do a Google search for 'sf2', and you'll find a bunch. If you're looking for a good drum soundfont, do a search for 'nskit'.

Hope this helps, and welcome to Reaper!

tj
Old 12-09-2006, 04:40 PM   #4
fluffy

Another vote for sfz. I've been using it for a couple of years now, and it's very nice. Probably the best free soundfont player currently out there .
Old 12-09-2006, 06:42 PM   #5
Mamba

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the replies guys! I downloaded the SFZ VSTI yesterday but it was blank so I moved on to the other VSTI's. Now I know what I need is the SF2 files. Where the heck are all the sf2 files that my current sound card uses? Are they burned into the chip or something? I did a search in my Creative Folder and the Windows folder and came up empty.

I did a quick search on Google and you're right there is a ton of links but how do you know if they are any good? Just download them into the SFZ in Reaper or should I search for a standalone player or something?

By the way, this is the first real recording software I've ever worked with and I am starting to get it. I'm just playing midi and audio tracks live to learn but I'll be digging deeper into the editing and mixing aspects but to start I'm liking it. I was going to look to buy FL Studio because I've heard so many good things about it but I really like what I'm seeing here with the community on these forums and excellent response from user requests. That is priceless so I might as well grow with this one. I don't have anything to compare it to but $40 seems like a no brainer.

Thanks again for the help.

Scott.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:30 PM   #6
TerryW

Hi Mamba,

I have also have a Audigy card but installed only the driver but without sf2 support and mixer.
You can ask Slarty1 for help about this, he has a Live card with sf2 support, and he plays/record from it in reaper.
I can contact him personal to help you, if you want.

btw: here are my latest versions of a soundfont player Take1 VSTi and standalone:
http://en.swoopshare.com/file/977667...i+1.4.zip.html

(sorry no Rapidshare, it was closed for upload today)
TerryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 10:09 PM   #7
Mamba

Hi Terry,

Thanks that would be great. I'd like to be able to pick some of those sounds and play them within Reaper.

teej, thanks for the heads up on the nskit. I downloaded it and loaded in to the sfz in Reaper and it sounds great. I got a few other free ones off the net but some of the sounds sounded kind of cheezy, this kit sounds like real drums!

I have a problem with the SFZ plugin though. I got the nskit loaded but I can't get anthing else loaded in. Can't change the bank# or load any additional sf2's, or name the VSTI for the kit etc. I was able to save the VST Program but the name doesn't show up in the pulldown.

There wasn't any help file or instructions in the download or the website but it's pretty bare bones. Anyway I'll keep googling till If get the answers I need unless anyone here can head me in the right direction.

Scott.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:54 PM   #8
teej813

You may find the SFZ tutorial found on this page helpful... http://audiominds.com/troubleshooting/tutorials.php It's a tutorial showing how to use sfz inside n-Track. Obviously, some things will be different inside Reaper, but sfz works the same. It's been ages since i made it, but as i recall, the tutorial covers a basic setup and should be helpful.

Yes, the Audigy stores its soundfonts in ROM on the chip. As far as i know, the Creative driver doesn't allow you to modify them in any way. But there are other drivers that give you more control. Frankly, sfz is easier. But if you decide you want to pursue using the onboard soundfonts, look into the KX drivers for Creative cards. Again, it's more advanced, but gives you more control... http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/down.php?language=en

Once you get comfortable with sfz, you can use it for any SF you want. And yes, most of the freebies you find on the net.. well.. suck. But there are good ones too. I'd suggest you start a thread asking for suggestions. Be sure to mention what type instruments you're looking for. I'd guess that most folks consider nskit the best free drum SF around. If you're looking for keys, strings, etc., ask for suggestions.

tj

Last edited by teej813; 12-13-2006 at 02:56 PM.
teej813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 10:57 AM   #9
randygo

Here is a good site for soundfont files. I have gotten a number
of fonts from here. There is a comments sections for each font, so you can get some idea of how others rate them:

http://www.sf2midi.com/

Cheers,

Randy
randygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 07:02 AM   #10
Mamba

Thanks for the help Guys. I am still plugging away. Spent hours looking for SF2's and found some that I can work with.

I have a Roland A-33 with some onboard sounds. Can I access those within Reaper?

Scott.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:36 PM   #11
Amether

The way to do the A-33 is to select the midi out on the track in reaper to send to the A-33, and monitor the audio that comes out of it.

So you have a midi file on the track, you set the midi out to send on a particular port, which is plugged into the A-33. The audio cables that come out of the A-33 will go into your computer and you then can record the audio that comes out of it (you can also just monitor for when you're tweaking the midi file).

Be careful using multiple instances of SFZ with a multicore processor (and fx render ahead)! It breaks very loudly!

A GREAT general midi soundfont is the Unison soundfont - it's pretty huge but you should be able to find it around on the web pretty easily. I say - I haven't linked cos I can't find it but I know I have at some point...

Last edited by Amether; 12-16-2006 at 02:40 PM.
Amether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 07:47 AM   #12
Mamba

Default LOST........

Thanks for the reply, Amether. Boy is this over my head. I've read the manual through but frankly it is mostly greek to me. As I mentioned to start this thread I am a total newb and trying to hack my way through this. Reaper is clearly powerful software with most features way beyond my knowledge and understanding at this point.

I just purchased a used Roland e-20 for my son for Xmas and that has a very nice bank of onboard sounds too. It would be cool if I could learn how to use those sounds as well.

I may be making a very simple thing more difficult. Any suggestions on where I might find a real basic tutorial or primer that might help me establish a good foundation of understanding? There is so much information available on the web that I don't know where to start.

Any input or feedback from anyone is appreciated.

Thanks.

Scott.