Old 10-10-2019, 09:30 PM   #1
dhendart
Human being with feelings

Default Track freezing VS printing

Tried to look it up here but never seem to find an answer to this concern. I feel like the result will probably be the same but I could be wrong.

So.... Is there any difference between freezing audio vs printing it?

Like when I use an amp sim, or a drum trigger like Superior Drummer/AD. Is it better to let the whole session playthrough and have the audio routed to another track printing it or is there really no difference if you just straight up freeze them instead (still on a routed track with the case of drum triggers since they send out different channels for different instruments.)?
dhendart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:59 PM   #2
foxAsteria

The essential difference is that freezing allows you to easily unfreeze and continue edits at any later time. In terms of the rendered file you get, no real difference.

In terms of routing, they both continue to play the rendered audio through the receiving tracks.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:12 PM   #3
dhendart

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
The essential difference is that freezing allows you to easily unfreeze and continue edits at any later time. In terms of the rendered file you get, no real difference.

In terms of routing, they both continue to play the rendered audio through the receiving tracks.
I also noticed that when I freeze the audio it becomes 32 bit vs when I print them it remains 24 bit.

I understand that 32 bit is just a floating container for 24 bit. I'm still new at the idea. Should I be worried about this sonically?

Thanks for the reply!
Old 10-10-2019, 10:19 PM   #4
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhendart View Post
I also noticed that when I freeze the audio it becomes 32 bit vs when I print them it remains 24 bit.
That all depends on your settings. You're not likely to hear any difference so I wouldn't worry too much.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:33 PM   #5
dhendart

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
That all depends on your settings. You're not likely to hear any difference so I wouldn't worry too much.
Thanks for the help!

Much love!