Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 06-15-2016, 04:27 AM   #1
horn
Human being with feelings

Default Wine issues: Reaper won't load 64Bit VST and always bridges i386 VSTs (SOLVED)

I don't know what happened, but since the last update (5.201, I didn't install 5.2) Reaper does not work correctly under Wine (1.7 updated 1.8) anymore. I am on Linux Mint 64 Bit, Wine uses 32-Bit. I now cannot use 64-Bit vsts at all, which was always possible and Reaper always bridges i386 vsts, although I only installed the i386 version. In addition, an older version (4.75), installed in a different directory suddenly seems to behave the same. Beyond that, some older projects can no longer open, or if, the transport does not work. I do not use Reaper that frequently in recent times. But earlier never had such problems under Wine... Screenshots attached.

i386 VSTs...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 64Bit Bridge Error.jpg (17.1 KB, 339 views)
File Type: jpg Reaper Bridge-small.jpg (57.3 KB, 337 views)

Last edited by horn; 06-15-2016 at 04:34 AM. Reason: i386 VSTs...
horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 05:36 AM   #2
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn View Post
In addition, an older version (4.75), installed in a different directory suddenly seems to behave the same. Beyond that, some older projects can no longer open, or if, the transport does not work.
Sounds like something on your system changed -- perhaps an upgrade of Wine that broke things?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 05:55 AM   #3
mschnell

"WINE uses 32 bits" Does that mean it simulates a 32 bit Windows ? Hence you use the 32 bit version of Reaper ? (How) can same load (or bridge) 64 bit vsts at all ? - Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 11:42 AM   #4
horn

Default Maybe, but usually I don't change important things on Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Sounds like something on your system changed -- perhaps an upgrade of Wine that broke things?
Since am not a Linux nerd I can't exclude this possibility. But it is also a fact that I don't change important things under normal circumstances. Most strange to me is that everything seemed to be OK at first. I rendered a song, I had worked with some weeks ago. But when I tried to open it the next morning I got those problems. I upgraded Wine, yes, but only after the problems occurred. Is there a way to get a protocol of Reapers behavior, (including the bridging) because it doesn't crash, but only slows extremely down with certain projects?

Last edited by horn; 06-15-2016 at 11:59 AM. Reason: bad english...
horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 11:56 AM   #5
horn

Default sorry, but thats not my playground

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
"WINE uses 32 bits" Does that mean it simulates a 32 bit Windows ? Hence you use the 32 bit version of Reaper ? (How) can same load (or bridge) 64 bit vsts at all ? - Michael
I used it like that since about three or more years. I don't know that much about 64-Bit Wine or whatever. Normally one can use 32-Bit programs without any problems, I use some of them frequently. And if I want to install the 64-Bit version of Reaper, the installer tells me, that my system seems to be 32-Bit and I should probably install the 32-Bit version.

"Wine is not an emulator", (thats why it is called Wine) it just provides certain system calls, API, and whatever I don't know anything about to run Windows applications under Linux. So maybe you ask an expert about this. This works flawlessly and fast with a lot of programs, that I would miss under Linux. And it worked very satisfying for me with Reaper too, until yesterday.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:06 AM   #6
horn

Default kind of solution...

I've found a "solution". If I switch the bridging preferences from "Automatic bridging" to "Only native", which means to disable bridging completely, I can use Reaper under Wine with 32-Bit VSts as before. Additionally the issues with the old projects disappear. Since 64-Bit VSts do not work anyhow, this is kind of a solution.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:25 AM   #7
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn View Post
64-Bit VSts do not work anyhow
I doubt they will when using a Reaper 32 version.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 11:12 AM   #8
avocadomix

If you are into troubleshooting, you can rename the current wine prefix (usually it is located in ~/.wine), and a new one will be created automatically. Then install Reaper and test. This is kind of like having a fresh Windows installation, so in case you decide to stick with the new prefix, you will have to reinstall also all the other applications and plugins you use with wine. Otherwise you will be able to remove the new prefix and restore the old one (rename it back).

If you do this, I'd recommend you to back up all your data stored inside the current wine prefix to some place outside wine, just in case.
avocadomix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:17 PM   #9
horn

Default OK, thank you.

I think I can live with it now. Thank you for answering.