Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 08-15-2011, 09:36 PM   #1
CNW
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper is changing MIDI by stop/playing?

I'm having this weird problem where some notes are being made persistently louder after stopping playback in certain places. Does anyone have experience with this or can guess why it's happening?

Setup: Reaper x64 on Win7x64 midi is driving audio through Kontakt and lots of patch switching.

My hunch is that it has something to do with Volume cc lane data.

Here's my audio the first time I play it.
http://soundcloud.com/ggjd/testnormal

And here it is after I stop part way through, reset the playhead and play it again. At this point I cannot figure out how to undo this except to reload my project. The anomaly is 3 notes near the middle.
http://soundcloud.com/ggjd/testchanged

Thanks for your help guys.
CNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:54 AM   #2
DarkStar

Have you had a look in the MIDI clip to see what CC messages are there?

Also, there are some Preferences to reset CC messages on Stop; see Preferences >> Audio >> MIDI Devices.
Perhaps you could compress a simple problem project file (no audio samples needed) into a ZIP file and post it here as an attachment so we can have a look at it and see what's (not) happening?
  • In XP, right-click the project file, select Send To ... compressed (Zipped) folder),
  • drag your reaper.ini file into the ZIP file (You should be able to get to the (hidden) folder containing the file from [Options] > select "Show Reaper resource path in Explorer/Finder")
  • drag any other required media files into the ZIP file,
  • when you reply, scroll down a bit, open the "Additional Options" section if needed by clicking the double downwards arrows,
    [img]http://img390.**************/img390/2490/r312dsddarrow.png[/img]
  • click on [Manage Attachments], browse to your ZIP file, select and Upload it.
You will also find it helpful, in "Folder Options" (on a Windows PC):
-- to Show Hidden Folders and Files
-- to Show File extensions (or you are vulnerable even to the most simple double-extension trick to disguise malicious files)
Old 08-16-2011, 05:22 AM   #3
CNW

Default Project Files

Thanks DarkStar for the guide. Here are the project files. I've removed Kontakt but you can see MIDI messages anyway.
Attached Files
File Type: zip problemProject.zip (4.6 KB, 151 views)
Old 08-16-2011, 05:27 AM   #4
Fabian

When you stop, the cursor jumps back to from where it started, could that trigger a CC message?

Try with hitting pause instead (Enter by default) see if you get the same problem.

I have this problem with envelopes on MIDI tracks, when I stop the cursor jumps back to a place where the envelope affects the output of the VSTi so that the last note sounds much louder and longer.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:01 AM   #5
DarkStar

The MIDI Clip on track 1 has many very odd CC messages in it - change to the View: Event List and delete them (In energyXT those CC messages have a number of 129 - ring any bells?)

Are they something special from your keyboard?

And there are several Volume CC#7 messages (near the middle) too - you might want to delete / adjust them too. The clip on track 2 have several CC#7 messages too. Are they needed?
Old 08-16-2011, 08:26 PM   #6
CNW

Default Solved

@Fabian
A good suggestion to use pause/play instead of stop/play but produces the same results.

@DarkStar
Those 'odd messages' are absolutely necessary There should be lots of program changes, some volume changes, and of course velocity setting for each note.

Well I found 2 solutions; here there are in order of performance.

1) Disable/Uncheck "reset CC" on stop/play. Preferences -> MIDI Devices -> Reset CC
Not sure if disabling this is what DarkStar meant, but he pointed me in the right direction - thank you!

2) If you absolutely NEED Reset CC enabled then use a simple JS script to spam volume reset to 100 for each program on each channel. This is a last resort solution because this is 128*16*2=4096 midi messages sent every time you press play (EDIT: which means it won't scale well if you have many tracks doing this...). The problem also still happens if you pause/play a lot instead of stop/play.

Here's the script. Copy this into a text file and save it without an extension into the folder with other reaper scripts. Add it in your project as a plugin just before Kontakt.

Code:
@init

loopChannel = 0;
loopProgram = 0;
loop(16,
	loop(128,
		midisend(0,192 + loopChannel, loopProgram ); // send channel/prog chng
		midisend(0,176 + loopChannel, 256*100+7); // send volume set to 100
		loopProgram += 1;
	);
	loopProgram = 0;
	loopChannel += 1;
);
Thank you everyone for your suggestions.