Old 11-20-2018, 03:14 PM   #1
Daria91
Human being with feelings

Default Budget mic for vocals

Please suggest me a good condenser mic (under $100) for recording vocals for my small home studio.
I am currently looking at the AT2035 (condenser) and Behringer Ultravoice Xm8500, which is recommended by many people.
https://microphonetopgear.com/best-c...ording-vocals/
What are your thoughts and maybe own experience?
Daria91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 03:18 PM   #2
Coachz

https://www.amazon.com/GLS-Audio-Ins.../dp/B001W99HE8
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 04:34 PM   #3
poetnprophet

For a condenser mic, I have heard good things from a Blue Yeti

https://www.bluedesigns.com/products/yeti/
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:21 PM   #4
foxAsteria

Problem with recording vox in small rooms with condensers is you tend to pick up all the bad resonance in the room, as well as computer fan noise etc. Lots of famous vocal performances have been capture with the lowly sm57, which doesn't have such problems...
Old 11-21-2018, 11:07 AM   #5
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Problem with recording vox in small rooms with condensers is you tend to pick up all the bad resonance in the room, as well as computer fan noise etc. Lots of famous vocal performances have been capture with the lowly sm57, which doesn't have such problems...
Lol what? That's a common misconception. The air at the diaphragm is wiggling the same either way.

I have an AT2035 and I quite like it. It's handled the four or five different male voices I've thrown at it quite well. I also have an AT2020 and honestly can't tell much difference - at least on my voice - except for the lack of high pass filter and pad. They're pretty cool for acoustic guitar and even drums, too.

I'm honestly not a huge mic snob, and don't have a whole lot of experience with many others. Honestly, I think most mics in that price range are going to be pretty decent nowadays. It's not new technology. The big question at the low end is just quality control. Will YOUR mic actually be within spec off the shelf? But if you get one that functions as intended, and you can't get a good recording, it's probably not the mic's fault.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 11:35 AM   #6
G-Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
Lol what? That's a common misconception. The air at the diaphragm is wiggling the same either way.
Lol what? That's a common misconception
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 11:37 AM   #7
G-Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria91 View Post
Please suggest me a good condenser mic (under $100) for recording vocals for my small home studio.
I am currently looking at the AT2035 (condenser) and Behringer Ultravoice Xm8500, which is recommended by many people.
sm58 or similar,
Cheap condenser in a bedroom-studio gives you the worst of both worlds
Old 11-21-2018, 12:07 PM   #8
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
Lol what? That's a common misconception
Plenty of people believe that a condenser is somehow more sensitive to background noise or room sound but it's just plain not true. It can't be. That would imply some nonlinearity in either the condenser or the dynamic, and that really just isn't there.

The fact is that condensers tend to be more sensitive, so we use them at greater distances, and then the ratio of direct to reflected sound is different, and then we blame the condenser. Assuming a similar polar pattern, if you match the source-mic distance, normalize the results, and account for basic differences in the frequency response, the results will beabout the same.

It may be true that the OP would be better served spending that $100 on room treatment, but that's a different issue.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:33 PM   #9
foxAsteria

Quote:
Plenty of people believe that a condenser is somehow more sensitive to background noise or room sound but it's just plain not true. It can't be.
Never had any computer fan noise come up when compressing a dynamic mic; only condensers. But yea I suppose it could come down to the extra distance because of the pop filter. OTOH dynamic mics definitely do reject more background noise due to the tighter pickup pattern.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:29 PM   #10
ashcat_lt

See now, I said "similar polar pattern". I promise you my AT2035 rejects more off-axis noise than my EV635A. I have hypercardiod elements for a couple of my SDCs. Of course, every mic that's described as "cardiod" will have some variation in the actual pickup pattern at various frequencies, but I'm not sure I believe this has anything to do with whether it's dynamic or not.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:29 PM   #11
BenK-msx

I'm going to say cheap ribbon and run away.

Good ol vocals straight out box. Easy to EQ. Smoov
Old 11-21-2018, 04:57 PM   #12
foxAsteria

Quote:
I'm not sure I believe this has anything to do with whether it's dynamic or not.
Yea I know there's crossover. It's just a general rule that condensers do pick up more ambience, for whatever reason. Maybe it's stereotyping, but it's a widespread idea that aligns with my experience using many cheap mics.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:59 PM   #13
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
I'm going to say cheap ribbon and run away.
For example? I've never used a ribbon mic, but I've always wanted to try one.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:14 PM   #14
ashcat_lt

If we're actually worried about room sound, I'm thinking a figure 8 ribbon is going the wrong direction. They can be positioned to do a pretty good job of rejecting point source noise like computer fans (as long as they're not bouncing around the room too much) and maybe first reflections off a nearby wall, but it will be worse for general ambience than most cardiods of any make. They can be great for a lot of things, but they really do want a good quiet room.

One thing I will say is that you might get "lucky" with a dynamic or ribbon if the self-noise of the mic or pre (which is presumably cranked up further than you might with a condenser) is loud enough to mask some or all of your room noise and the subtler reflections.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:47 PM   #15
Coachz

Quote:
Plenty of people believe that a condenser is somehow more sensitive to background noise or room sound but it's just plain not true. It can't be. That would imply some nonlinearity in either the condenser or the dynamic, and that really just isn't there.

The fact is that condensers tend to be more sensitive, so we use them at greater distances, and then the ratio of direct to reflected sound is different, and then we blame the condenser. Assuming a similar polar pattern, if you match the source-mic distance, normalize the results, and account for basic differences in the frequency response, the results will beabout the same.

It may be true that the OP would be better served spending that $100 on room treatment, but that's a different issue.
The pick up more highs.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:57 PM   #16
BenK-msx

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
For example? I've never used a ribbon mic, but I've always wanted to try one.
There's a ton of sub 100$ ones and all decent enough.
I got a pronomic.. love it .

Need a good amount of gain from preamp so needs to be decent but otherwise really easy.

The null of the figure of 8 is great to point at undesirable sources, and and ashcat mentions, tho I have found them not to be that roomy or too sensitive to things going on, if up close, & any added roominess being q pleasant giving natural sound as long as room isn't horrific which OP 'home studio' suggests not.

Op didn't mention noisy room but a bedroom at right time of day and laptop is perfectly good for close vocals, even without a booth paid or diy.

Soundwise ribbon antitheses of bright harsh gravelly peaky condensers (most of them bar the pricy ones)
Instant warm smooth "on the way to analog" and takes eq nicely.

Think of things you record that tend to be harsh and/or thin, ribbon is great for those things.
In my case, brass, vocal, non strummed guitar, etc.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:55 AM   #17
G-Sun

Quote:

It's always funny when people base their conclusion of their limited mental ideas and not on experience (No worry, been there, done that). When experience tells the truth, you understand it's your understanding that's shortcoming.

The larger mass of the magnetic coil of the dynamic mic makes it less sensitive to high frequency and things like noise. And is therefor preferred in many situations. Ask any live-engineer

As a side-note: These days there's been a heated debate in political Norway. The conservative Christian party (KrF) is in power to topple the government, and is argumenting against abortion -based on the idea of the unique value of each human being (that I find correct)
Experience however tells us that their position is the most inhuman position, but because KrF don't understand the bigger spiritual picture of human existence.
So, just another case of putting limited mental ideas before experience.
The wise man/woman always puts experience first, then her/his ideas
Old 11-22-2018, 10:22 AM   #18
ashcat_lt

That post involves both religion and politics and I'm gonna leave it alone.

It also questions my experience which is just funny.

I'll say it again: The "difference" between a condenser and a dynamic is mostly distance.

OK frequencies response... If you don't need the extended top end from the condenser then maybe you shouldn't use one, but you could also just EQ it out. If there's something ugly up there that the dynamic rolls off, a filter will do just as well.

I know people who use condensers live with damn good results. The first reason most people don't is tradition/superstition. There's also the very good point that dynamics tend to be more robust and reliable and resistant to damage. Also of course they handle higher SPL levels and give a lower output. Some condensers on some sources into some mic pres just can't not clip. With a dynamic you can always find a "safe spot" on the trim knob.
Old 11-22-2018, 02:31 PM   #19
Coachz

Quote:
That post involves both religion and politics and I'm gonna leave it alone.

It also questions my experience which is just funny.

I'll say it again: The "difference" between a condenser and a dynamic is mostly distance.

OK frequencies response... If you don't need the extended top end from the condenser then maybe you shouldn't use one, but you could also just EQ it out. If there's something ugly up there that the dynamic rolls off, a filter will do just as well.

I know people who use condensers live with damn good results. The first reason most people don't is tradition/superstition. There's also the very good point that dynamics tend to be more robust and reliable and resistant to damage. Also of course they handle higher SPL levels and give a lower output. Some condensers on some sources into some mic pres just can't not clip. With a dynamic you can always find a "safe spot" on the trim knob.
And condensers feedback easier
Old 11-22-2018, 02:35 PM   #20
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
And condensers feedback easier
:/

Of course they do! For all the same reasons that they pick up more room noise and ambience.

SMH
Old 11-23-2018, 01:06 AM   #21
cyrano

The biggest difference between most dynamics and condenser mics is level. Dynamics produce roughly 1 to 5 mV output. Condensers produce 5 to 20 mV. If you use the same preamp with both, you're at a different gain point. In some cases that sounds like a different preamp.

Nobody ever considers the slight compression that occurs when feeding preamps with much higher levels.

Provided you could find a dynamic with a similar pattern, mics would behave mostly the same.

Since you can't find comparable mics in both camps, the "truth" stands. In practice. In theory, it's not really a "truth". That's why G-Sun's example is quite right. It's not black and white; but a spectrum of gray in between.

The OP is looking at both a dynamic and a condenser. Let's leave tech out of the equation. The questions I have are:

- Whats the preamp/audio interface?
- Any samples of your voice anywhere?

Without those answered, it's like spitting against the wind...
Old 11-23-2018, 01:30 AM   #22
ashcat_lt

Plug it in. Turn the knobs til it sounds good. If that don't work, it's probably not the mic that's the problem, but if it is, move it or change it. If your preamp is the problem, that's another issue, but it is in fact 2018 so it probably won't be.

If you actually have $100 to spend and already have an AT2035, you should probably treat your room. If you really want new mics, find 10 more dollars and get 2 x Electrovoice Co7. I use them anywhere "they" might use an sm57/58. I don't use them as hammers, but I haven't had one fail in years of service.

Edit - If you really want another condenser, I'd say "match your pair" (get another 2035) first.

Last edited by ashcat_lt; 11-23-2018 at 01:48 AM.
Old 11-23-2018, 06:30 AM   #23
BenK-msx

This OP dropped a which mic Q and legged it...
Old 11-23-2018, 09:01 AM   #24
pjd3

Default sensitivity

This is not a response in line with the original question but I've been under the impression that even though the air may be of the same dynamic "at" the diaphragm, that there would be a difference due to the physical response to the air. A dynamic mic diaphragm is directly connected to a relative large amount of coil winding's that add certain amount and type of physical impedance to the diaphragm, where as a typical condenser diaphragm is a few microns thin and isnt subject to moving a large heavy set of coil windings. Although it is fastened down by its edges.

I've heard engineers talk about the "natural compression" aspects of dynamics due to that condition, and thats one reason they have liked using dynamics for drums.

My jury sure isn't out on all that but, just found it interesting and it made a tad bit of sense!

I wish the OP good luck on his/her mic hunt. Supposedly, its difficult to find a condenser at that price that doesn't exhibit cost dictated artifacts.

Phil
pjd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:19 AM   #25
Judders

From the Shure site:

Quote:
Also worth considering, is that although dynamic, condenser, and ribbon microphones may have similar published frequency response specifications their sound qualities can be quite different. A primary aspect of this difference is in their transient response. Essentially, condenser and ribbon microphones will typically sound more natural as the diaphragm or ribbon can respond to sound faster, and this results in higher sensitivity, alongside greater high-frequency detail.
http://blog.shure.com/microphone-bas...ency-response/

As for budget condensers, this is less brittle in the high end than any other I've heard in the price range: https://www.seelectronics.com/se-x1s-microphone/
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 10:24 AM   #26
cyrano

Shure uses dangerous wording. Some might read “ribbons are more sensitive” as “ribbons have higher output”...

Dynamic mics have more mass than condensers, but condensers have far more tension. Besides, dynamic mics are low impedance, condensers are very high impedance. That’s why condensers need a built-in amplifier. You can’t generalise...
Old 11-28-2018, 02:09 PM   #27
Jimmy James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria91 View Post

Before I even read the other post about it, my first thought was "Why a Condenser Mic? Whats wrong with a Ribbon Mic?".

I say this, because one you start using Ribbon mics, its hard to move away from. I just finished a 14 track album for a acoustic act. Not one time did I have a De-esser on the Vocals. Not because the singer had pro sybalance, he has hard S's so bad! But the Ribbon mic set up proper smooths that out.

a condenser mic was made to increase the brightness of old analog gear running thru tube gear and on to tape. We are all using digital now. Guess what? Those mics are all overly bright now.

But the good ol' Ribbon mics? They sound like a EQ'd mic, with de-esser, and vintage voodoo plugins built right into them. Plus, you can use them on anything.

I am getting so much word of mouth now, and hear guys saying "mojo and vodoo" for my studio. its because I am using Ribbon mics 80% of the time.

You need a Good preamp for a Ribbon mic though. Its possible you might be able to gas up your interface and get enough headroom.

Budget Ribbon setup:

1. Rolls MP222, made in the USA. Has a transformer, and is a secret weapon! You will always use it.

2. Marti Audio inline xlr booster. I use this even with my preamp. Sounds great and keeps my noise floor even lower. You can even use it with a SM57 and get some great tone with it. Anything similar to this device should work.
If you cant afford a preamp and something like this, get this! It will cost less and you can phantom power it off your interface and boost the Ribbon signal for all the gain you need.

3. Cascade Microphones FAT HEAD BE Grey Body/Anodized Silver Grill, it will run you about 150 bucks. But that extra 50 bucks you spend will serve you the rest of your life. This will be a mic you keep and use forever. When it shows up you know its gonna work. With some lower budgets, you need a good return policy, and not be afraid to tighten the ribbon yourself if it shows up slacked.

MXL Ribbons, see the paragraph above. Good for the money, might need tightened.

Nady RSM4, I love these cheap buggers! I got 4 of them. Three of them had a totally slacked ribbon when they showed up. I was able to tighten and tune all 3. One of them worked on delivery, that was really cool.

With the Nady, the Front and the Back both sound KILLER! And both sides are both usable. So you have a fast tone switch just by spinning the mic around.

Starting 5 or 6 years ago Ribbons started getting popular. They were bringing warm smooth tones to digital recording right out the gate (mojo and vodoo). And every year they get more and more popular.

Ribbon mics cost less to produce. Good for us. And have made a mark enough that all the music store flyers that go out have a ribbon mic on the cover on sale.

Do yourself a favor. Even if you have to wait and save, get into Ribbon mics.

If you need to save up, get a ES57 or even their 58 from GLS in the mean time. They are dirt cheap and my Shure mics collect dust. Yes, they are as good or better. I prefer them and my bands do as well.

https://www.glsaudio.com/GLS-Audio-E...Mic_p_396.html

https://www.amazon.com/Cascade-Micro...hones+FAT+HEAD

https://www.amazon.com/Nady-RSM-4-Un...V13F96NSAF9E63

https://www.amazon.com/Rolls-MP222-S...ds=rolls+mp222

https://reverb.com/item/710011-marti...ube-microphone
Jimmy James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 02:42 PM   #28
Fergler

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...Condenser.html

This used to be less $$, but maybe a deal will come around. Just missed the biggest one of the year, of course. ;p

Every pattern you need, sounds just like an AKG C414. Sounds best for vocals on the cardioid pattern aimed at the chin and singing towards the top of the mic with a pop filter, in my experience. nice smooth natural sound. About 10 inches away for normal volume vox.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 04:07 PM   #29
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
Before I even read the other post about it, my first thought was "Why a Condenser Mic? Whats wrong with a Ribbon Mic?".

I say this, because one you start using Ribbon mics, its hard to move away from. I just finished a 14 track album for a acoustic act. Not one time did I have a De-esser on the Vocals. Not because the singer had pro sybalance, he has hard S's so bad! But the Ribbon mic set up proper smooths that out.

a condenser mic was made to increase the brightness of old analog gear running thru tube gear and on to tape. We are all using digital now. Guess what? Those mics are all overly bright now.

But the good ol' Ribbon mics? They sound like a EQ'd mic, with de-esser, and vintage voodoo plugins built right into them. Plus, you can use them on anything.

I am getting so much word of mouth now, and hear guys saying "mojo and vodoo" for my studio. its because I am using Ribbon mics 80% of the time.

You need a Good preamp for a Ribbon mic though. Its possible you might be able to gas up your interface and get enough headroom.

Budget Ribbon setup:

1. Rolls MP222, made in the USA. Has a transformer, and is a secret weapon! You will always use it.

2. Marti Audio inline xlr booster. I use this even with my preamp. Sounds great and keeps my noise floor even lower. You can even use it with a SM57 and get some great tone with it. Anything similar to this device should work.
If you cant afford a preamp and something like this, get this! It will cost less and you can phantom power it off your interface and boost the Ribbon signal for all the gain you need.

3. Cascade Microphones FAT HEAD BE Grey Body/Anodized Silver Grill, it will run you about 150 bucks. But that extra 50 bucks you spend will serve you the rest of your life. This will be a mic you keep and use forever. When it shows up you know its gonna work. With some lower budgets, you need a good return policy, and not be afraid to tighten the ribbon yourself if it shows up slacked.

Nady RSM4, I love these cheap buggers! I got 4 of them. Three of them had a totally slacked ribbon when they showed up. I was able to tighten and tune all 3. One of them worked on delivery, that was really cool.

With the Nady, the Front and the Back both sound KILLER! And both sides are both usable. So you have a fast tone switch just by spinning the mic around.

Starting 5 or 6 years ago Ribbons started getting popular. They were bringing warm smooth tones to digital recording right out the gate (mojo and vodoo). And every year they get more and more popular.

Ribbon mics cost less to produce. Good for us. And have made a mark enough that all the music store flyers that go out have a ribbon mic on the cover on sale.

If you need to save up, get a ES57 or even their 58 from GLS in the mean time. They are dirt cheap and my Shure mics collect dust. Yes, they are as good or better. I prefer them and my bands do as well.

For me ribbons are too dark for vocals but great for saxophone. Cad Audio makes a great ribbon Mic too.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:53 AM   #30
G-Sun

You preferably want cardioid mics in a budget home-studio.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:46 AM   #31
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
You preferably want cardioid mics in a budget home-studio.
Yeah, if the room sounds bad then you don't want the back of the ribbon picking it all up.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:29 PM   #32
poetnprophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post

Budget Ribbon setup:

I admit, I have been afraid to try ribbon mics, both because of the darker tone reputation, and the issue of preamp gain.

This post has given me some inspiration, thank you.
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:26 AM   #33
Tinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx
This OP dropped a which mic Q and legged it...
Yeah no kidding. She (I think Daria is a girls name) or he (sorry dude!) asks a simple question and gets bombarded with all this technical information (which I'm going to do as well I'm afraid lol) and these discussions. It's really overwhelming considering that this person is probably just starting out.

The Behringer B2 Pro looks interesting, as well as the Rode NT1-a (very popular), and Audio Technica stuff is very popular.
I think you can't go wrong with either of those brands. At the price range around a 100 bucks they are very comparable in features and quality. Just read some reviews online and look for statements involving build quality and self-noise of the mic.
Don't get sucked into discussions too much about which one sounds better, that's all just personal taste, and people tend to glorify their own purchase decisions without them even trying product B.
So if you read a lot of good reviews by different people and one or two people hating it, then it's probably a good mic.

Some microphones come with a pop-filter (sometimes called a windscreen) included. If not, it is recommendable to buy one separately (costs only $10-20). The mic clip or shock mount is usually included, you just need a mic stand (which sells for around $15 up to $40).

Know that you need an audio interface with phantom power (Focusrite solo/2i2/2i4, Presonus Audiobox, Audient iD4/iD14) to use these kind of microphones (microphones with a XLR connection). As well as a XLR cable.

Some people on here are suggesting to you to look into a dynamic microphone, which is a good one.
When you're in your home recording studio and can hear loads of outside noise like: traffic, playing/screaming children, dogs barking, wind, birds, people talking.
Then a dynamic can be a better option because they are less sensitive when it comes to picking up these noises because of the stiffer diaphragm (which makes them great for loud sound sources like snares, guitar amps, and heavy rock/metal and heavy rap vocals).
Something like a Shure sm58 or sm57 are a great choice ($100,-).

Condensers pick up a lot of details, which is what makes them so nice for vocals and instruments like acoustic guitar. But because of that they pick up a lot of the ambiance too (which includes all that noise I just mentioned).

Dynamic mics don't need phantom power (unless you pair it with a Cloudlifter or FetHead (these are used to get more gain. For some compact desk audio interfaces have difficulty to provide enough gain for dynamic mics)).

I think it's more important that you start learning to use a microphone and make music as soon as possible, than to worry about what brand of microphone to buy. Just pick one and start learning how to use it. Not saying you should rush it, but also don't overthink all of this.

I'm sorry if all this information confuses you. The bottom line is that any microphone will do the job as long you know how to use it.
On Youtube you can find great tutorials and other content concerning using mics (like Recordingrevolution and Produce Like a Pro).

Cheers and good luck!

Last edited by Tinus; 11-30-2018 at 05:42 AM.
Tinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:45 AM   #34
Eliseat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinus View Post
Yeah no kidding. She (I think Daria is a girls name) or he (sorry dude!) asks a simple question and gets bombarded with all this technical information (which I'm going to do as well I'm afraid lol) and these discussions. It's really overwhelming considering that this person is probably just starting out...

Cheers and good luck!
Yes. That's what I thought too.
Eliseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 06:49 AM   #35
bucca

SM57/58 is a good start off;

forget all the technical stuff, listen and use what fits.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:19 AM   #36
cyrano

I don’t think we’ll see the OP again. He was just promoting the link in his post...
Old 11-30-2018, 11:23 AM   #37
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
I don’t think we’ll see the OP again. He was just promoting the link in his post...
Yup. Two posts total, with the same link.

Spam.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:21 PM   #38
Coachz

It's really sad how many thoughtful replies there were to something that is obviously spam by a douchebag. We need to be better at alerting everyone up front.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:38 PM   #39
foxAsteria

What can I say? I'm a bit of a sucker. I didn't even notice the link though, so I guess that makes me lazy too.
Old 12-01-2018, 02:24 AM   #40
G-Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
Yup. Two posts total, with the same link.

Spam.
Thanks for checking.
Yes, we need to be a bit more aware,
but the OP post didn't look suspicious.