Old 01-05-2009, 01:02 AM   #1
Julio
Human being with feelings

Default eal*: new/obscure JS feature?

Hi there. I have been tinkering away on some JS plugins, and came across a line of code which seems to be problematic, forcing CPU use through the roof and hanging the effect.

In my @init section I was trying to set some variables:

Code:
ealloc = 65536;
EDIT: after further investigation, any variables starting with the letters ‘eal’ cause the same disturbance in the force.

Has this been reserved for something fancy? Are there any other similar pitfalls we should be aware of? Have I gone completely nuts?

FURTHER EDIT: Yes, right off my rocker: I forgot further implications towards the end of the code!

In conclusion, ignore this post.

Thanks,
Julio

Last edited by Julio; 01-05-2009 at 02:17 AM.
Julio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:43 PM   #2
FranciscooC

Default Ignore this post also...

"eal" might be the name of a register inside the CPU. I remember when I had a book about MS-DOS which had a chapter trying to teach the reader how to write small programs with the DEBUG utility. I discovered there that the CPU's registers were named ax, bx, cx, dx etc. That was back in the late 1980s and 1990s when computers weren't too powerful.

Some time later, with 32-bit CPU's and stuff, the registers were renamed eax, ebx, ecx, edx etc. Well, the "eal" in this case might represent the low bytes(?) of the eax register, while "eah" are the high bytes.

Maybe JS reserve a few other word fragments which make it related to assembly language or the C programming language.

I'm sorry, I don't intend to offend the computer engineers and other people who are far more technologically advanced than I am.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:01 AM   #3
Julio

Default This post has imploded and no longer exists

Hi FranciscooC!

Yeah, that’s exactly where my head went initially too: CISC register representation in assembly language. I don’t think JS deals directly with such low levels though.

Nevertheless, I love your theory! It makes perfect sense to have some kind of flexi-word-length hybrid instruction set (especially with the undercurrent of some good old MIDI L/MSB action).
Julio is offline   Reply With Quote