Old 02-04-2012, 06:07 AM   #1
storminheaven
Human being with feelings

Default latency usin behringer uca202

hi everyone im new to this forum and my computer knowledge is very basic and im new to recording on p.c but i wondered if anyone could maybe help me. ive searched online but everyones got different ways of doin things and im confused! im runnin reaper on a 32 bit athlon 64x dualcore 4600 2.40ghz with 2gb memory on vista and as a audio interface im using a chaep behinger uca202 soundcard.interface .im not sure if all of that info is relevent but i thought it mite be! right ive got terrible delay latency from when i play a chord on m y guitar to hearin it through the headphones and obviously its just impossible to work with.. ive played about with settins and im pretty sure ive got all the basic audio setti correct , ie (input source behringer interface//output behinger interface .i just downloaded a free very basic software called "magic music maker" and i have the same problem on there aswell.. i understand that the behinger interface ive got at only 20quid isnt the best option but surely there must be something else causin this latency ? is my p.c fast enough . ps its also got bad latency when i plug my usb mike stright in and record vocals etc.. can anyone tell me what i have to do to get the latency down to a managable level . many thanks j
storminheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:22 AM   #2
funkster1

Have you downloaded/installed the Behringer ASIO driver?
Did you choose it in Reaper's Audio Settings?

Maybe you can attach a screenshot of your audio settings in Reaper?
Once the driver installed and chosen in Reaper you shouldn't have any latency issues.

HTH,

Raphael
Win 10 Pro 21H2|AMD RYZEN 3600|32 GB RAM|NVIDIA GeForce 710 fanless|2x27" Full HD screen|250 GB SSD system|1 TB SSD Samples|1 TB SSD projects|2 TB HDD docs & images|ROLAND Octa-Capture|BCR2000|Nektar LX88+|Maschine Mikro MK3|ZeRO SL MkII|FCB1010|KRK ROKIT 5|
funkster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:04 AM   #3
chip mcdonald

I bought a $5 Chinese knockoff of one of those little Behringer "guitar port" usb converters (which is sort of a physical oxymoron) "just to see".

It's basically junk as one would expect for $5, I wouldn't think it's a whole lot different than the 202. The reason I'm posting is that it is, however, something of maybe the most baffling enigma of software/hardware I've come across.

1) while "advertised" on Amazon as working at 44.1>96, it *only* works at 48k.

2) *You can only change this setting via the included Native Instruments guitar-sim app*.

3) The included Behringer driver only allows you to select "32 bit operation", and the 44.1/48/96 settings does nothing.

4) On the interface itself, it has a HI/LO switch - which I presume is a line-level setting. IT DOES NOTHING. Or does it?

5) It has an overload indicator. It does nothing.

6) It would seem the HI/LO switch actually changes the "hardware>software" level - I think.

7) It sounds awful and actually only provides 16 bit data. The aliasing is quite peculiar to look at on certain notes.

A waste of $5 but a curious thing: Behringer knockoffs are being knocked off. One wonders if it's possible to find any Behringer product somewhere at 1/2 price?
Old 02-04-2012, 09:09 AM   #4
Dr Bob

Why not use the direct monitoring output on the interface (headphone output). Ok, you won't hear any FX stuff on input or FX chains, but at least you will not have any latency.

db
Dr Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:26 AM   #5
partonkevin

I cleared up latency problems while using my laptops soundcard by using ASIO4ALL.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:29 AM   #6
storminheaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkster1 View Post
Have you downloaded/installed the Behringer ASIO driver?
Did you choose it in Reaper's Audio Settings?

Maybe you can attach a screenshot of your audio settings in Reaper?
Once the driver installed and chosen in Reaper you shouldn't have any latency issues.

HTH,

Raphael
hi mate yer i did choose the behringer as my input source and as my output . is that right? i wasnt aware i had to install drivers i just plugged it into the usb and a box came up sayin it was succesfully installed ,do i have to still install drivers? and to dr bob , thats exactly what i was doin ,ive plugged my headphones into the headphone socket on the behinger and switched on the sound monitor switch and then ran a cable from the input into my guitar and im gettin very bad latency . i thought that was the way i should of had it setup? also i do use a lot of effects and delay especially so i realy need to hear the effects when i record .cheers for the help evryone
Old 02-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #7
fastwind

Hi Storminheaven,

yes, you have to use ASIO drivers to eliminate the latency.
The UCA202 works as a normal soundcard on any pc, but only Behringer's ASIO-driver can solve the latency.

go to http://www.behringer.com/EN/Support/...Downloads.aspx and download the right version of the driver. When installed, choose the ASIO-driver from the sound options menu within Reaper. The latency will be gone.

On a different note: you can't plug in a guitar directly to the soundcard, because of impedance missmatch. You have to use a DI between your guitar and the soundcard. (an oldfashioned guitar stomp-box will do just fine...)

Cheers.
fastwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #8
storminheaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastwind View Post
Hi Storminheaven,

yes, you have to use ASIO drivers to eliminate the latency.
The UCA202 works as a normal soundcard on any pc, but only Behringer's ASIO-driver can solve the latency.

go to http://www.behringer.com/EN/Support/...Downloads.aspx and download the right version of the driver. When installed, choose the ASIO-driver from the sound options menu within Reaper. The latency will be gone.

On a different note: you can't plug in a guitar directly to the soundcard, because of impedance missmatch. You have to use a DI between your guitar and the soundcard. (an oldfashioned guitar stomp-box will do just fine...)

Cheers.
ok mate i actually did search for the drivers for the behinger and i downloaded it but it didnt make any difference but ile follow that link u sent me and cheers 4 the advice about not pluggin the guitar directly into the soundcard .cheers
Old 02-05-2012, 01:16 PM   #9
fastwind

It should make a BIG difference!!
I use the UCA202 too, and have a latency of 5.3ms !!
Make sure to select 'ASIO' from the 'Audio Device Settings' in Reaper, right next to 'Audio system:',
and then select 'Behringer USB audio' next to 'Asio Driver:'.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #10
storminheaven

Quote:
It should make a BIG difference!!
I use the UCA202 too, and have a latency of 5.3ms !!
Make sure to select 'ASIO' from the 'Audio Device Settings' in Reaper, right next to 'Audio system:',
and then select 'Behringer USB audio' next to 'Asio Driver:'.
yes mate it has worked i can actually start recording now . i also gota behinger c1u usb mike that i wanna use for recording my acoustic guitar .ive had a look for the drivers for that and on the behinger website and it directed me to another site and stated a suitable driver for it (asio4all) so i downloaded that and the signals def coming through but i cant hear no sound in my headphones.. ive gone into the configiration settings on the driver and played about with the settins but cant get no sound . so basically the mikes picking up sound but i cant monitor it and ive got both the c1u mike and the uca202 plugged in and my headphones into the uca202 . any ideas? cheers on the info!
Old 02-06-2012, 02:32 PM   #11
fastwind

Yeah, that's one of those typical problems.
With Windows and Reaper you can only use ONE ASIO driver at a time.
So if you have the Mic installed, the UCA202 won't work, so you will not hear any sound.

There is a way around that, however:
- Install the ASIO4ALL driver, and select it within Reaper, just like you did with the Behringer driver.
- Now insert the usb-mic into the computer.
- From the 'audio device settings', select the Asio4All-driver.
- Now click on 'Asio Configuration'. You should now see the Asio4All contole panel.
- The trick is, to watch the WDM Device list, and select the mic (make the on-knob blue) and ALSO select the outputs for the UCA202.
Something like this: (see attachment)

Now, from the 'audio device settings' in Reaper enable the input from the mic, and for the output select 'out1 to out 2 from the UCA202.

That's it, if you did everything right, you should hear the mic through your UCA202.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Asio.jpg (61.0 KB, 1019 views)
Old 02-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #12
storminheaven

Quote:
Yeah, that's one of those typical problems.
With Windows and Reaper you can only use ONE ASIO driver at a time.
So if you have the Mic installed, the UCA202 won't work, so you will not hear any sound.

There is a way around that, however:
- Install the ASIO4ALL driver, and select it within Reaper, just like you did with the Behringer driver.
- Now insert the usb-mic into the computer.
- From the 'audio device settings', select the Asio4All-driver.
- Now click on 'Asio Configuration'. You should now see the Asio4All contole panel.
- The trick is, to watch the WDM Device list, and select the mic (make the on-knob blue) and ALSO select the outputs for the UCA202.
Something like this: (see attachment)

Now, from the 'audio device settings' in Reaper enable the input from the mic, and for the output select 'out1 to out 2 from the UCA202.

That's it, if you did everything right, you should hear the mic through your UCA202.
hello mate sorry i didnt inform ya before but i did play about with the settins and managed to get the sound come through by doin what u said(by accident!) but then there was latency again and when i adjusted the buffer settings in the asio configiration panel ,it corrected it for maybe 30secs before the latency came back again while i was recording my guitar.. and that happens everytime i adjust the settins.. jesus i never knew just basic recording could be so much hassle! i cant record with that much latency so i tried turning off record monitoring and recording to a click track but when i listen back the recorded guitar was well off time with the click track.. thanks very much
Old 02-08-2012, 04:58 AM   #13
fastwind

Sorry to hear it didn't work...
You can best use the Behringer driver for recording anything, and then change the driver when recording your acoustic gtr with the mic.

I would realy encourage you to buy a mic with a standard XLR and a small 4-channel mixer to use as an in-out buffer to the UCA202.
You can insert both the mic AND your guitar, and use the latency-free Behringer driver. It costs very little ( €35 http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/502.aspx)

With such equipment there woudn't be any hassle and you can get some realy great results.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #14
storminheaven

Quote:
Sorry to hear it didn't work...
You can best use the Behringer driver for recording anything, and then change the driver when recording your acoustic gtr with the mic.

I would realy encourage you to buy a mic with a standard XLR and a small 4-channel mixer to use as an in-out buffer to the UCA202.
You can insert both the mic AND your guitar, and use the latency-free Behringer driver. It costs very little ( €35 http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/502.aspx)

With such equipment there woudn't be any hassle and you can get some realy great results.
ok mate thanks very much for the advice i think i will look into gettin a mixer but maybe with more inputs cause i wanna eventualy recording my band live. what do u mean as a in/out buffer thow? how would i connect it all ? one last question how would i use guitar rig3 le to record in reaper , i can get sound on guitar rig and its recording signal in reaper but when i playback theres no sound? cheers
Old 07-26-2019, 01:40 PM   #15
Noellitus Rockius

Quote:
Originally Posted by storminheaven View Post
hi everyone im new to this forum and my computer knowledge is very basic and im new to recording on p.c but i wondered if anyone could maybe help me. ive searched online but everyones got different ways of doin things and im confused! im runnin reaper on a 32 bit athlon 64x dualcore 4600 2.40ghz with 2gb memory on vista and as a audio interface im using a chaep behinger uca202 soundcard.interface .im not sure if all of that info is relevent but i thought it mite be! right ive got terrible delay latency from when i play a chord on m y guitar to hearin it through the headphones and obviously its just impossible to work with.. ive played about with settins and im pretty sure ive got all the basic audio setti correct , ie (input source behringer interface//output behinger interface .i just downloaded a free very basic software called "magic music maker" and i have the same problem on there aswell.. i understand that the behinger interface ive got at only 20quid isnt the best option but surely there must be something else causin this latency ? is my p.c fast enough . ps its also got bad latency when i plug my usb mike stright in and record vocals etc.. can anyone tell me what i have to do to get the latency down to a managable level . many thanks j
Everyone speaks of the UCA 202 Beheringer as something cheap implying that it is poor quality, quite the contrary, they are excellent equipment, I am impressed with Beheringer in truth, its price quality relationship is indisputable. I always carry my UCA 202 as an audio card for my laptop and it is really good, everything you have in that small audio box is incredible for its price.

But hey, let's go to the problem;

latency with the UCA 202 Beheringer in Reaper.

After an intense fight of almost a week, where I could not achieve acceptable latency for my guitar on rhythmic tracks I started using the original Beheringer driver since I have win 7. The ASIO driver gave me the following information in its optimal configuration (without noises or clicks) (Fig 1). However, although the latency decreased considerably could not record at ease, there was always a lower but undesirable latency.
The problem was solved thanks to the option of recording in Reaper preferences (see fig. 2), ... AND HOLY REMEDY, the latency decreased impressively and now I recorded comfortably on tracks. You just have to enter the values that Asio Beheringer gives as inputs and outputs and place it as compensation values in the Reaper recording option. Thanks to this ingenious and useful Reaper option to compensate inputs and outputs and the UCA 202, ... I am very happy ... I hope it helps

The same procedure can be used with ASIOALL if you do not have the old Beheringer UCA 202 drivers. Try and tell us

regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg captura 1.jpg (15.8 KB, 364 views)
File Type: jpg captura 2.jpg (41.7 KB, 319 views)

Last edited by Noellitus Rockius; 07-26-2019 at 01:48 PM.
Noellitus Rockius is offline   Reply With Quote