Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 09-22-2009, 07:37 AM   #81
The Spark
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Is anyone still having problems with POD Farm AU on 10.4 or 10.5?
I just gave Podfarm AU a quick try and it does work better. Where Im seeing problems still:

1. When I use the drop down menu's to select an amp I cant click on the amp to select it. I have to click on the previous amp listed, and then drag down to the amp I want while holding the button to get the selection to be highlighted.

2. If I click on the amp drop down menu the menu header stays highlighted after the selection is made. So if I select an amp, an effect, and a distortion, they are all highlighted at the top.

3. When I close the window (by clicking on the little red circle in the top left side) it still leaves a little bit of white area where the window was in the top right hand side of the screen.

I used a Tone Direct DI dongle and an ilok, and there doesnt seem to be any difference. My OS is 10.4.11, on a Macbook.

Thanks for working on this.
The Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:35 AM   #82
arriflex

After trying Logic 9 and being stymied, using the Record beta and loving it, but frustrated by what it's missing (and can't be replaced by VST's), I've found reaper to be easy to use and great for my needs so far. Just a vote of confidence for the devs.

I am a professional DP/Editor so I am intimately familiar with the apathy of Apple towards it's pro apps users these days.
arriflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:14 AM   #83
yerbouti

Schwa,

Please have a look at my message here (last one for now):

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=34212&page=3

Thanks
yerbouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:20 AM   #84
parr

Quote:
The biggest weaknesses on OSX at present are:
- Plugin compatibility
- No media browser
- Lots of minor usability annoyances that add up to a feeling of instability and unfinishedness.
I cry for rewire slave but nobody cares and even people voted "I will not use this feature" in the requested features forum. :-((((
I'm very sad for that but this prompts an "ethical-philosophical" issue on osx/windows version. I think it is clear that they both should have exactly the same features, as far as the os permit. This, plus bugs fixed, should be the requirement for releasing the non-beta version. A switcher or somebody working with the two platforms should be able to use the two versions without missing anything.
parr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:01 AM   #85
Vulkanizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by parr View Post
I cry for rewire slave but nobody cares
I care!
The possibilities are endless
Vulkanizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:56 AM   #86
pixeltarian

my thoughts...

- every audio daw maker comes out with a release maybe once a year.

- reaper updates and adds features every few weeks or less.

- the osx version is still in beta.

so... why can't we see a complete and utter feature lockdown and focus only o
on bug squashing and vital osx featues until a non beta osx version is out. once that happens, then just go back to the current release style...

I know this will never happen, but it makes a lot of sense to me to do it this way. no windows reaper user is going to quit using it if they have to wait a while for a new feature. reaper on windows owns. period. what a TON of people need is a stable, non-beta osx version. I actually find myself in a place where the only people i know interested in recording are all on macs, using PT or logic. whenever they complain my mind instantly jumps to suggesting reaper, but then I bite my tongue or say something like "too bad you're not on windows, because reaper is the best daw platform I know of in windows." I just can't recommend something that crashes and behaves poorly as much as it does for me.

I totally agree with schwa. the user base would double. that old belief that artistic production is best achieved on a mac is still in full effect. I'm acquainted with 10 people in my recording arts program. all of them run macs. it makes my joy of spreading reaper so bittersweet. the few that have tried it just loose interest as soon as it does something for no reason, like poofs. hell, if you guys could just take a break from everything and get rid of the poofs I'd be much happier.

also, I have an unreproducible problem. the stillwell audio mute. I've webcasted this, explained it thoroughly. no one can reproduce. I've reinstalled reaper and all stillwell plugins and it still does it.

I am so ready to buy a license. I want to buy a license more than anything else I want to spend money on in the audio realm. Buying a license means I can finally rely on reaper on osx. and that will be literally one of the best days of my life.

I'm sure that sounds like a stretch, but recording music is all I want to do with my life. and I can't use my favorite tool. <sarcasm> That feels awesome. </sarcasm>
pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:09 PM   #87
Kundalinguist

I'm using Reaper in Tiger on a G5 and it does much of what I want. If I were a professional engineer, I might limit my use of Reaper to harvest its strengths and rely on other apps. to pick up the slack. And that's what I do even without paying clients in my home studio.

I own a few DAWs and they all have faults and shortcomings. At least here the company talks to the people rather than pretend they don't exist. But I don't think they should be handing out tissues, either.

Doh! [retort expected, if not demanded].

Not to be a smart ass, but if anyone's musical progress or joy in life is being denied by the lack of a non-Beta Reaper version, then make a stand and stop stomping your feet.

Have I misunderstood?

P.S. +1 on Rewire slave so I can groove quantize from DP.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:21 PM   #88
roygbiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
Let me re-phrase the question. I find it ODD that......My last post and testament here at Cockos

hmmm, that is odd. Could have sworn you posted again.
roygbiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:51 AM   #89
airon

Some people think they have a higher security clearance than they actually do. IntSec is already on its way.

I'm trying to install OSX on this PC machine in a day or two(Ultraviolets can do that). I'm tired of my buddy with his 8-core OSX rig whining all the time about how this or that doesn't work. I'd like to help verify these bugs.

Airon-U-Got-1

note: not getting insider Paranoia jokes is treason.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:16 PM   #90
BoxOfSnoo

Quote:
Ill keep posting as long as weeds like yourself keep pointing it out
Please do keep posting, of course. However, you have to realize the answer to your question is quite simply:

"When the serious bugs are fixed"

And when everyone is posting serious bugs, it's NOT threadjacking, but adding further answers to your question. Even people saying they don't find serious bugs, that's also an answer. Expect more of those until the beta tag comes off.

If you want a date or a timeline, I don't think you're gonna get it. I don't think Cockos has ever done that... (they already made a mistake in announcing a release date for OS X Beta, they won't do that again).

Like I said, keep posting, as will I. The worst thing that could happen here is that it goes on the back burner again.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:14 PM   #91
BoxOfSnoo

Quote:
IF someone posts about the POD, its thread jacking as its taking the point of the original post on a complete tangent.
Well I disagree, I think it helped the thread get noticed, and then answered... (you can't call a DAW ready for release if it has serious issues with big name VSTs... well... at least Cockos wouldn't...) I've since moved my POD talk to another thread, because schwa said that would be more helpful.

If you post something in a forum, you might wanna accept what that might mean... and that means public discourse; sometimes a bit chaotic. If you want a dedicated thread maybe you should prefer PMs.

Now THIS post is seriously tangential. I'm back on topic. And I want a non-beta Reaper as much as you do.

That being said, I won't pollute this thread anymore.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:58 AM   #92
BoxOfSnoo

Oh man... I wasn't going to post again, but BOY did you ever misunderstand me.

Can't you see ANY connection AT ALL between these? Seriously?

"Beta program finished timeline : Beta bugs remaining : Bug reports for current Beta release"

It's not like anyone was barging in here talking about politics, new features, the Windows version or newbie setup help or anything. It's ALL related to the Mac OS Beta!

Now I'm never going to post in this thread again, for whatever reason. I promise. If you want to take some cheap shot at me, now's your chance. j/k
Old 09-29-2009, 08:17 PM   #93
patrickisbusy

I don't believe anyone was thread jacking..

And honestly, asking when Reaper will be out of beta for Mac as kind of an idiotic question. Are you seriously saying you didn't know what the answer was? Obviously it would be when all the major bugs were worked out. You can't put a time on that when a tiny group of developers are working their asses off.

The POD farm question made this thread not a complete waste of time, because otherwise it would have just been a stupid thread full of bitching when the developers are doing the best they can.

You knew the answer to your question before you asked it publicly. Get over the "threadjacking" thing. It's the damn internet, who really cares?
Old 09-30-2009, 11:28 PM   #94
mio*star

Gentlemen,

Could we get back to a more fair-play tone ?
I dare to say that this is not the kind of talk that should happen in the Reaper community.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:03 AM   #95
Kainer

Quote:
My question is not idiotic BTW
sure it is. at least it is not helpfull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mio*star View Post
Gentlemen,

Could we get back to a more fair-play tone ?
I dare to say that this is not the kind of talk that should happen in the Reaper community.
+1

http://kainerweissmann.de
Kainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:40 AM   #96
lee_faulkner

In a way the "Beta" tag does have real implications...

For instance, many Institutional IT Policies prohibit installation of "Beta" software on the basis that if the authors don't trust it, why would anyone expect it to reasonably play nice on a finely configured system. Additionally there's usually no serious attempt at real world support when Beta builds are in play. Not to mention that Betas usually get updated too regularly to keep current...

So having the OSX version stuck at Beta effectively makes it useless for wider deployment and serious institutional/ educational use .... and all the exposure that comes with that.

I too think its vital that Cockos get reaper to be consistent across platforms. Right now it's a huge gap that throws a shadow across the ability of Cuckos to hold the whole thing together over time, which is why I'm not pursuing Reaper more vigorously right now. If the ducks were all in a row I'd be considering dozens of paid licences ....to start .

I think there's massive potential in reaper, but a platform aware development model must be pushed.

Best

Lee
lee_faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:07 AM   #97
schwa
Administrator

The iReapers are turning against each other. We better fix up the OSX version quick.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:45 AM   #98
pixeltarian

my most recent attempt to share reaper.

them: it's for a mac?
me: there is a mac version. I think it's somewhat stable now. I hear they just got rid of a bunch of bugs. let me open up the newest version. I just downloaded it today.

(I open reaper)

track 1 is freaking out going "arm, disarm, arm, disarm, arm, disarm" over and over and over.
I get it to stop by clicking the arm button and getting the little wait pinwheel for like 2 minutes.

I laugh nervously saying, it's probably something with my setup.

I open a wav file to play. it loads.

I push play.

"poof" goes reaper.

me: "well um, I guess you should just get logic or pro tools."
Old 10-01-2009, 12:21 PM   #99
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltarian View Post

Good advice to take yourself too. It's not nice to torture yourself with something you are not happy with.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:41 PM   #100
pixeltarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
Good advice to take yourself too. It's not nice to torture yourself with something you are not happy with.
but damn it, I want to be happy with it!

I love it more than any other DAW - just hate the lack of stability...
Old 10-01-2009, 02:56 PM   #101
mio*star

Quote:
Im done here, YOU guys are idiots
Does this sentence reflect your frustration level ?
Old 10-01-2009, 02:59 PM   #102
mio*star

Quote:

me: there is a mac version. I think it's somewhat stable now. I hear they just got rid of a bunch of bugs. let me open up the newest version. I just downloaded it today.

(I open reaper)

track 1 is freaking out going "arm, disarm, arm, disarm, arm, disarm" over and over and over.
I get it to stop by clicking the arm button and getting the little wait pinwheel for like 2 minutes.

I push play.

"poof" goes reaper.

This whole scenario sounds totally sci-fi to me !
How is it possible ?
I never got that sort of behaviour from Reaper...

By the way, I'd be the first to clap my hands like mad if the OSX version was really up to the level of the Win version.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:27 PM   #103
bennals

Quote:
The iReapers are turning against each other. We better fix up the OSX version quick.
heh heh, some much needed light relief...how many other DAW forums can you expect that from one of the developers? Worth the licence fee alone.

Bill.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:44 PM   #104
patrickisbusy

Quote:
LOL!

Honestly, I mainly use Reaper on my PC, but when I do use it on my Macbook, I have little to no problems. You guys are doing a good job in my books.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:27 AM   #105
Kainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennals View Post
heh heh, some much needed light relief...how many other DAW forums can you expect that from one of the developers? Worth the licence fee alone.

Bill.

right! lmao

shanabit, don´t be upset.
after all it´s just a thread

http://kainerweissmann.de
Kainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:40 AM   #106
toggle

Quote:

(I open reaper)

I push play.

"poof" goes reaper.

huh. I haven't really followed the mac beta threads too closely, since Reaper has worked fine for me on a Macbook Pro since a year ago. I guess I figured the instability complaints were all about trying to use particular plug-ins, or some sort of advanced feature that I haven't tried.

So, when you just load the program and open a track, it freaks out immediately?
toggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:39 AM   #107
dbonejones

3.12 is a leap in the right direction, is the media finder and video support the last big features to arrive now?

Last edited by dbonejones; 10-04-2009 at 02:18 PM.
dbonejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:01 PM   #108
pixeltarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggle View Post
huh. I haven't really followed the mac beta threads too closely, since Reaper has worked fine for me on a Macbook Pro since a year ago. I guess I figured the instability complaints were all about trying to use particular plug-ins, or some sort of advanced feature that I haven't tried.

So, when you just load the program and open a track, it freaks out immediately?
yes. I'm thinking it's perhaps some sort of configuration thing or something. the problem being I have no way to diagnose it...
Old 10-25-2009, 12:26 AM   #109
Guitar486

Sorry if this has been asked before, I didn't find anything... Do the dev's plan on writing a 64bit version for Snow Leopard? Thanks
-
----Ok, well how about just a series of cool riffs?
Guitar486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 03:15 PM   #110
Guitar486

I'm gonna give this a little BUMP!
-
----Ok, well how about just a series of cool riffs?
Guitar486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:10 AM   #111
Audiop

I had problems with my PC laptop sometimes (clicking and interupts) and bought a 13" Macbook pro to get pro results. Unfortunately Reaper is very unstable on this machine.

Reaper crashes and shuts down when:

Loading a wav file.
Push the "rewind" button to get the marker to start.
"Remove selected tracks" when done in the mixer section but not if done
up in the upper section of the Reaper window.

Can I trust Reaper as a pure tracker if I don't touch anything while running? I don't know!

I have an important live recording at Sunday and I'm all stressed out by this problem. I really hoped Reaper wold be stable on this Mac which I bought for this sole purpose (tracking with Reaper) and was about to buy a license but now I think I have to look at something else, at least in the meantime while the beta OSX versions matures.

/Peter
Audiop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:53 AM   #112
toggle

Audiop,

Would you mind posting a few more details about your situation? For example:

What interface are you using?

Are you using any plug-ins when this occurs? If so, which ones?

... as well as any other specifics of your set-up. I write this because the things you describe don't cause me a problem (on a MBP), so perhaps there is some detail in there that may help you or the devs narrow down the issue.

Also, you might get more help if you start a new thread specific to your crash issues; this one has a history of it's own at this point.

Best,

Tom
toggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:16 PM   #113
Audiop

Thanks for input. Will start a new thread.

Did crash without plugs but it also crashes with Reaverb when switching/loading files during playback which it didn't do on my PC.

/Peter
Old 10-30-2009, 12:59 PM   #114
mio*star

I am using Reaper OSX beta almost everyday, recording (up to 24 tracks simulanteously), producing, mixing (sometimes 100+ tracks) with little problems.

You may want to check your interface stability and use the latest official version of Reaper - even if pre-releases are usually very usable.

The devs seem to be working hard to release a Reaper version up to specs with the PC version, so I think it's worth being a bit patient and posting issues on this forum.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:53 AM   #115
Audiop

Latest version for OS-X and Lynx Aurora 8 and the crashes appear with built in audio.

I used the MBP as main recorder (with a PC as back up) on a concert this weekend and it seems to have worked out fine. No crashes or funny behaviour.

Haven't checked all material for glitches or clicks but I have listened to most of it and it seems fine. Clicks in the audio files was my problem on the PC-laptop which probably was a problem with that PC (bios, FW chipset or something) and not with Reaper or Aurora 8. It could run for hours sometimes without problems but then comes an evening when it feel like stressing me out with a couple of clicks during a concert.

I feel good enough about Reaper now and will buy the license and hope for a good future both on Mac an PC. I still don't trust a computer set up 100% though so tracking live with dual machines will be my future.

/Peter