Old 01-31-2021, 01:13 PM   #1
UNdark
Human being with feelings

Default Using a VST to send a mdi message

HI - just a quick question if anyone would be able to answer ? - For those in the know about midi and CSI - is there a way that opening a vst, could send a midi message or message to a csi device, instructing a template number or name/template change?
Some devices, as i'm sure you know, have many templates which includes names for parameters. If csi or an action from the action list can send something unique to trigger a particular template, that's an amazing potential..
UNdark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 02:49 PM   #2
cjewellstudios

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNdark View Post
HI - just a quick question if anyone would be able to answer ? - For those in the know about midi and CSI - is there a way that opening a vst, could send a midi message or message to a csi device, instructing a template number or name/template change?
Some devices, as i'm sure you know, have many templates which includes names for parameters. If csi or an action from the action list can send something unique to trigger a particular template, that's an amazing potential..
When opening *a* vst you have mapped in CSI, you could trigger a script that sends midi to a device.

Code:
OnFXFocus Reaper "action command ID"
That's just in general though. You can't (as of now) send a specific command for each vst. It's an interesting feature request though.

OnFXZoneEntry. Maybe we could put that inside the fx zone itself.

What device are we talking about?
cjewellstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 01:25 PM   #3
UNdark

Default triggering templates via plugin choice

hi - at the moment i'm using variations of the sl25/zero to control plugz and have for years. The most dials buttons and faders for the money.I only need 1 template for most EQ's or comps verbs and so on - 1 each, unless i use M/S in mastering, then there are separate templates - also for bigger comps - shadow hills/ alpha comp they need a variation to the templates to access their features . (the sl/zeros have digital readouts for each parameter- at 40 to 80 quid 2nd hand - this is amazing i think !!) They have enough controllers and buttons and faders to lay out every plugin in a quick useful easy to remember way over many many plugins. I've been working on this for 4 years - how to deal with the various "focused windows" obstructing hotkeys - floating vs fx chain window and access via controller/hotkeys - which priority best / which type of controller/hotkey - VSTI's vs VST control when focused/ visible...i won't go on, it really is bloody boring but.... It has made such a cool workflow. CSI is part of my workflow - controlling Reaper but not plugins. I think CSi could, change the template per plugin ( hope but right now the whole CSI is just a bit out of my language - i can see it could take over my midi setup, but i programmed all my plugs via reaper directly and used midi - very very happy with how the action list deals with all my wishes. The biggest hurdle is time taken to program plugins... i've done over 400 over the years and to have to take that on again.... i'd need a reason like this really - the ability to tell my controller what template to switch to when i select a specific plugin.... My favourite feature of CSI is "toggle sends" of individual track and having them on the faders, named just like that! i think newer version of CSI; this has been discontinued? ( i use an 8 channel "fx rack" of tracks to send to - anyway - Some vids I've made are here if you're interested, cheers : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnn...NSUEb3Z9esa2mg
UNdark is offline   Reply With Quote