Old 02-17-2019, 03:46 PM   #1
markhw
Human being with feelings

Default Open "Add FXChain" browser window with action

In the FX chain window under "FX" menu there is the "Add FX Chain..." option which pops up a browser window to REAPER/FXChains folder and lets you add FX chain from there. I've looked seemingly everywhere but couldn't find an action to trigger this "Add FX Chain" browser.

The built-in FX chain browser in REAPER does not have the hierarchical structure of the file browser. With my mouse I currently use right-click on the track FX button to quickly access my FX chains, but I would like to be able to do this from keyboard and also to combine into other custom actions (e.g. add a track from template and pop-up FX chain browser with one button). It puzzles me that this seems like a really basic command (in the FX chain window the menu option has *two* different keyboard shortcuts - SHIFT-INSERT and SHIFT-A) but I can't find it anywhere in the actions menu. Any help would be much appreciated!
markhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:56 AM   #2
DarrenH

If I've understood your question correctly this may assist.

To my knowledge there's no way to trap the Add FX browser action in Reaper. However you could do it by generating keystrokes using an AutoHotKey script that will only work if Reaper is running & focused.

This is a PC solution, not sure if AHK exists for Mac.

First, assign the action to a keyboard shortcut: "Track: View FX chain for current/last touched track". In this example I've used CTRL-F but it could be whatever you want (update in the script below obviously).

Install AutoHotKey. Create new text file & add text below. In this example I've used Numpad 4 but of course you can change to whatever you'd like (search for key references on the google).

#IfWinActive ahk_exe reaper.exe ; If Reaper is active...
$numpad4::Send {ctrldown}f{ctrlup}{a} ; If numpad 4 pressed, generate CTRL-F followed by A
#IfWinActive

Save this as 'whatever filename you like.ahk'

Double click to run, add shortcut to your startup folder.

That's it. Of course you can create other actions involving multiple keypresses as desired.

Please feel free to share improvements/customizations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhw View Post
In the FX chain window under "FX" menu there is the "Add FX Chain..." option which pops up a browser window to REAPER/FXChains folder and lets you add FX chain from there. I've looked seemingly everywhere but couldn't find an action to trigger this "Add FX Chain" browser.

The built-in FX chain browser in REAPER does not have the hierarchical structure of the file browser. With my mouse I currently use right-click on the track FX button to quickly access my FX chains, but I would like to be able to do this from keyboard and also to combine into other custom actions (e.g. add a track from template and pop-up FX chain browser with one button). It puzzles me that this seems like a really basic command (in the FX chain window the menu option has *two* different keyboard shortcuts - SHIFT-INSERT and SHIFT-A) but I can't find it anywhere in the actions menu. Any help would be much appreciated!
DarrenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:10 AM   #3
markhw

Thank you so much -- That did the trick!

For anyone else wanting to do the same, I used the following AutoHotKey script. First I bound the action in REAPER "View FX chain for current/last touched track" to CTRL-ALT-SHIFT F1 (a shortcut I'm not otherwise using). Now with the following script, when I use hotkey ALT-Insert it triggers the following AutoHotKey script:

#IfWinActive ahk_exe reaper.exe ; If Reaper is active...
~!Insert::
Send {ctrldown}{altdown}{shiftdown}{f1}{shiftup}{altup} {ctrlup}
Send {altdown}f{altup}a{Enter}
#IfWinActive

For some reason the FX chain window default shortcuts SHIFT-Insert or SHIFT-A did not work when triggered by AutoHotKey (it brought up the default FX browser, not the file explorer browser). But having the script navigate the FX chain window menu "manually" worked with keystrokes ALT-F, A, Enter.
markhw is offline   Reply With Quote