Old 02-19-2021, 01:06 PM   #1
schlagzeuger
Human being with feelings

Default Re-mapping tempo to off-grid MIDI

I received some MIDI files that were recorded completely off grid. The tempo in the files is arbitrarily 120, but the intended tempo is very clearly something else (and would be easy to remap if it were an audio file). Is it possible to re-map the tempo to something else? In other words, can I impose a new tempo on the already recorded MIDI so that it is on grid? I believe Cubase has a feature like this. Perhaps some way of re-recording the MIDI into a new track...?
schlagzeuger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:16 PM   #2
jrk

You could render / freeze it to audio & tempo map that?

Or just play it, and put in some markers by hand?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXgJ...nel=SonicAxiom

Last edited by jrk; 02-23-2021 at 12:27 PM.
jrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:28 AM   #3
papagirafe

I found a simple trick for that:

Inside your established project with its own tempo, create a track with your midi file as an item. Cut all trailing blank time at the beginning and the end of the item and align it at measure zero. With the left alt key (mac key???) go with the mouse at the end and stretch it with the little hand to the number of measures it should have in the project.
papagirafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:32 AM   #4
ashcat_lt

^^^ Yes assuming it’s all one straight tempo, that’s the easiest way to do it. You could then divide the project tempo by the item’s new playrate to get back to the original tempo.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 01:42 PM   #5
zacki

If your freely recorded MIDI varies in tempo you need to do some more steps. I've done that several times.
  • Cut off the MIDI Item where the song starts (or where it was counted in) and move the item completly left to measure 1
  • Place a marker at measure 1 with keyboard shortcut M
  • Play the song and put a marker every measure (M 2 3 4 M 2 3 4 M ...)
  • Next step is a little tedious but pays of. Switch the item to inline MIDI editor (shortcut E). Turn off snapping, zoom in and move all your markers as exactly as possible to beat 1 of each measure. This will be the kick drum note mostly
  • tick "Ignore project tempo, use …" in the MIDI item source properties (CTRL+F2). Leave it at 120 when your item was recorded with that tempo
  • Next step needs SWS Extensions: convert project markers to tempo markers. A small self-explanatory dialogue appears. Click Convert and when you're asked to set the project timebase to time, hit yes.
  • Glue the MIDI item. Done

If you want, show master track (CTRL ALT M) and delete the tempo markers. Your item follows exactly.

Additional Info is here and here.

Last edited by zacki; 02-25-2021 at 04:17 AM.
zacki is offline   Reply With Quote