Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 07-08-2019, 02:32 AM   #1
BengtS
Human being with feelings

Default 5.979 Loading file with ARA2 causes Parsing Error with Melodyne

When loading a project with ARA2 (Melodyne 4.2.2.2.004), in many cases there is an error that sws-autocolor is not understood by the parser.

When opening Melodyne, it tells me there is a problem with the document structure and all the edits are gone.

The underlying issue is that the Reaper parser is not handling the ARA BIN block correctly and thinks it needs an extra > to close the block.

Adding an extra > after the ARA BIN block removes the error while loading, but when opening Melodyne, it still tells me that there was a problem with the document structure and all edits are lost.

So, it seems that the parser that handles the large BIN block gets confused by its contents. Perhaps there is a < in the BIN block, which confuses the parser?

The reason for this problem is of course pure speculation on my part.

Still, it makes Reaper + ARA2 with Melodyne unusable as you never know if it will work or not.

I can supply a .rpp file that illustrates the problem if it helps.

Best regards,
BengtS
BengtS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 04:47 AM   #2
schwa
Administrator

I believe this was fixed in the current development builds, which you are welcome to test: https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:12 AM   #3
BengtS

Just tried the latest from Landoleet (dev0707) and the behavior is the same.

So I cannot confirm that the issue is corrected in the current development builds.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:52 AM   #4
schwa
Administrator

The specific bug that was fixed is previously, if the plugin failed to load the ARA state properly, extension state would also not be loaded properly. Using the latest development builds, if you are able to reproduce a different problem, please let us know!
Old 07-08-2019, 05:56 AM   #5
BengtS

What do you mean by Extension State? Just want to understand if I have a different case than you describe. How can I discriminate if I have different issue than what you fixed?
Old 07-08-2019, 06:32 AM   #6
schwa
Administrator

Previously, if the ARA state loading failed for any reason (in other words, Melodyne couldn't restore its state when loading a project), the project would also be unable to load any extension state (such as SWSAUTOCOLOR) and give errors related to the extension. We don't think that this error caused the ARA state loading to fail, but if the state loading did fail, other loading errors would occur as well.

This was the relevant bug report: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=2151344
Old 07-08-2019, 07:18 AM   #7
BengtS

This case is different. I removed the section with the extension and the error did not go away while loading, though this time there was another error. Essentially, the next section was not understood.

Melodyne showed the same error as before.

The only way to remove the error while loading is to add an extra > to end a "fictitious" section occurring inside the ARA BIN block.

So, apart from producing the same error messages, I do not think this is the same error.

Also, I can confirm that it is still present in the latest dev0707 build.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:21 AM   #8
schwa
Administrator

If you have a project where ARA is restored properly by manually editing the RPP, while running the latest development build, that is a different situation. Could you please send us a project that demonstrates this, to support at cockos? Unfortunately, I think we also need any media that is processed by ARA.
Old 07-13-2019, 02:11 PM   #9
BengtS

No, sorry, you do not understand: I get the project to load without showing an error. ARA is still broken.

I get this by adding a > after the BIN part. That way, the parser is happy finding the same amount of < as >.

As I have added another > to satisfy the parser, this means that the parser thinks there was a < inside the BIN block. This should not have happened.

So I am able to demonstrate that the parser is not handling the BIN block correctly by adding the > after the BIN part, not more.

I do have a project that shows this and I could also supply all the files with it.
Old 07-13-2019, 03:36 PM   #10
schwa
Administrator

If you are seeing this behavior with the latest release version (5.980), then yes, please do send us a (hopefully small) project that demonstrates the problem!
Old 07-14-2019, 12:03 AM   #11
BengtS

I can confirm that in 5.980 I do not see this behavior.

Interestingly, I still cannot load the old files without error. But if I save with 5.980, I can load without error. Also ARA shows no error and all edits are retained.

So perhaps the problem was in writing the BIN block?
Old 07-14-2019, 05:27 AM   #12
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Previously, if the ARA state loading failed for any reason (in other words, Melodyne couldn't restore its state when loading a project), the project would also be unable to load any extension state (such as SWSAUTOCOLOR) and give errors related to the extension. We don't think that this error caused the ARA state loading to fail, but if the state loading did fail, other loading errors would occur as well.

This was the relevant bug report: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=2151344
We have had multiple reports of this error, and most users concluded that the existence of the extension data in the project was causing melodyne to fail to load its data, but the only bug we were able to locate was that if the melodyne data was already unloadable, REAPER would not parse the remainder of the .RPP correctly, so the extension data loading would also fail. I think this is consistent with what you're seeing.

We are still not able to reproduce a consistent cause of melodyne failing to load its data.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:39 AM   #13
BengtS

Actually, the problem still persists in the newest Version 5.981.

Not always, but sometimes, the ARA data is not written correctly and thus is not loadable. As you changed the parsing of the loading, there is no error thrown during load, but when you open Melodyne, there is a message regarding document error. And all edits are gone.

This happens more often in complex situations than if you only have one track with one item on it and then Melodyne.

If you have many items on the track, the error seems to surface more often. It also seems to happen more if Melodyne is working with chords, not only one voice. Sometimes it is possible to circumvent the save error by putting simple tracks with dummy data and Melodyne before or after the important one.

Still, also this is not a sure-fire method at the moment, so when I have to use Melodyne, I save the project and try to load it with another computer. If it does not work, I add or remove the dummy tracks with Melodyne until it works.

Not very satisfactory, though.