Old 01-17-2015, 04:55 AM   #1
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI Controller is Very Difficult to Use

Hi,

I've bought a MIDI controller, Alesis V25, to make recording a bit easier, so I don't have to use the laptop's keyboard for MIDI. The idea was I would be able to record getting different velocity and so on, however, the controller is so hard to play that it's basically useless. If I play it normally, the way you would play a regular piano or a regular synth, the sound is so low you can hardly hear it. When I look at the result in REAPER, all the MIDI items are green (as if I've been playing very silently and gently) when in fact I've been quite violent (see attachment). In order to get a normal volume/velocity result, I have to raise the hand and hit the keyboard hard, so it is impossible to play even the simplest little melody as this is not how you hold your hands when playing. Is there a way to change how the keys react to being played? Or, can I take an already recorded piece and raise the velocity on all notes at once (not manually one by one as this would not sound the same way as it did when I played it)? Otherwise I guess this controller has no use and I'll be better off using the laptop's keyboard.

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: png midi1.png (5.1 KB, 239 views)
9559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 05:36 AM   #2
Barksy

Someone might have more info, but i got some info here to use the JS MIDI Velocity control.
Barksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 06:12 AM   #3
RobertP

Hi there and welcome

I guess there could be lots of ways to solve this but it may help folks here if you said more about what your system comprises of - pc, soundcard, etc and including what vsti you are using.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:13 AM   #4
Rodal

You could try changing the velocity curve for the keyboard, try looking here, http://www.noterepeat.com/products/a...-series-editor for an explanation.
Rodal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:38 PM   #5
ReaperMadness

You may also want to try just turning off the velocity on the keyboard altogether for a minute, just to see if it's velocity-related at all.

New Music: = Mourning Marrs =
ReaperMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:45 AM   #6
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodal View Post
You could try changing the velocity curve for the keyboard, try looking here, http://www.noterepeat.com/products/a...-series-editor for an explanation.
Yes, Rodal's right, you've got 8 different velocity curves and I think #1 or #2 would be your bet bet.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:26 AM   #7

Thanks a lot for the replies guys! I'm sorry for the late reply; university has started up again so there's been a lot of studying and very little music stuff. I tried Rodal's suggestion and it worked, thanks!
9559 is offline   Reply With Quote