Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 02-02-2009, 07:00 AM   #41
Tedwood
Human being with feelings

Shortcircuit 2 has lot's of things not working, and I couldn't even find the playmode selector.

What's wrong with Shortcircuit 1.1.2. anyway?

It doesn't have it's own media browser, but Reaper has one that works just the same.

I can't think of anything more I might want
Old 02-05-2009, 02:46 PM   #42
Smurf

ARRGGGGG! Two times I had my set done, used it, saved it, and the next time I opened it gone, poof, nata!

I guess I will reload and try again, and it is not the Tutorials fault (Great Work on the Tutorial and the PDF!), but man this is aggravating!

Sorry....just had to rant a little...I feel better now...
Old 02-05-2009, 04:03 PM   #43
Tedwood

Oh dear Smurf

Smurf, make sure you save into your samples folder as "save channel (or multi) + samples, but before you close anything double check it by looking in the samples folder with the name of your .scm or .scg file, if you have a .scg/.scm file and folder with all your samples in - in the same dir it is safe to close Shortcircuit.

There is a weird thing, I don't know whether it's Reaper or SC, but when you save a project Reaper will not find the sample library first time, and will ask you to browse for it, once you have done this once, and saved the project Reaper will find it next time.

Handy tip, try what I just said on a a very simple group to make sure you understand the saving conventions before building too big a kit.

I did this and saved my kit to the same name each time and built the kit up piece by piece, it meant I could build my kit over a period of several days.

Edit:

Alternately ( prolly best method too) save groups, like save the snares as a group, and kicks and so forth, and check them. Then when you are quite happy with all your groups are saved, you can load all the groups to a multi and save that (always + samples) .

Then

Hope that helps

Last edited by Tedwood; 02-05-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Tedwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:33 PM   #44
Smurf

Thanks for the Tips...and the Pics Tedwood!

Cracked me up!

Last edited by Smurf; 02-05-2009 at 10:13 PM.
Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 03:46 AM   #45
brainwreck

i never did figure out how to do chokes with shortcircuit. for example, hitting a closed hat mutes the previous open hat. anyone know how to do that?
brainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:49 AM   #46
MichaJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
i never did figure out how to do chokes with shortcircuit. for example, hitting a closed hat mutes the previous open hat. anyone know how to do that?
Put the samples which should belong together in a same Choke Group:

Michael

Edit: You can select all samples which shall belong to one Choke Group by Shift-Click (if they are in a consecutive order) or Ctrl-Click and
then determine the Choke Group for all in one step.
(The screenshot could have been misleading here.)

Last edited by MichaJo; 02-06-2009 at 06:04 AM.
MichaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:42 AM   #47
Tedwood

Quote:
No too diff, look at the sample voice mode pane (middle bottom) see where it says "choke group" drag your mouse right and select a number 1 - 64, any other samples in that choke group number are choked. You could make it more flexible by grouping chokes by velocity too ie. light velocities are not choked in the same choke group, or not at all.

Last edited by Tedwood; 02-06-2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:50 PM   #48
mewsac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedwood View Post

Slicing

choose from the playmodes

Hi Tedwood, now that I can't get my head round, I've looked at it in the SC help, but...anyway very useful tutorial. I've tried (demo) versions of most of the usual drum sample players, and I always get frustrated in the end by their lack of transparency. SC is a really GREAT tool, though.
mewsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:41 AM   #49
brainwreck

thanks for pointing out the choke thing, guys.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:49 AM   #50
fladd

Very nice Tutorial. Thanks for the effort!
I also use Shortcircuit in Reaper for drums and I think it is a perfect solution. (Maybe Justin should contact Vemberaudio, since they are not working on it anyomore anyway!).
The Tom Hicks samples mentioned in this thread here a also very nice!

Regards,
fladd
fladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:01 AM   #51
brainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by fladd View Post
(Maybe Justin should contact Vemberaudio, since they are not working on it anyomore anyway!).
having shortcircuit native in reaper, with a few minor tweaks, would be wicked.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:19 AM   #52
fladd

Yeah, totally!
Old 02-07-2009, 12:20 PM   #53
mewsac

Quote:
having shortcircuit native in reaper, with a few minor tweaks, would be wicked.
Well you can do something similar with ReaSamplomatic, but it is more complex and less powerful, I find. Maybe just less intuitive.
mewsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 04:20 PM   #54
Tedwood

ReaSamplomatic is a very useful bit of kit for some things, if you want a small kit with no layering it's great, I think it's pretty easy to use myself too and very low cpu too.

I found Shortcircuit a bit complex but I never really used samplers so maybe that's why. It's not once you get to know it.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:53 AM   #55
fladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by the all new rob View Post
There's a significant workflow improvement available--if you make a multiple sample selection in the media explorer, then drag them all onto one key, SC will take care of all the work. It seems to go by filenames, so the last filenames will be at the top of your velocity stack, and the samples will be equally spaced across the range, however many you pick.

I have a screen cap video of this, but I'm not sure how best to post it.

Thanks for the tutorial, Tedwood.
But then you still have to edit the velocity settings of each sample, right?

fladd
Old 02-16-2009, 06:06 AM   #56
Tedwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by fladd View Post
But then you still have to edit the velocity settings of each sample, right?

fladd
If you drag and drop your new samples will land on adjacent keys, with velocity set at 1-127, which is useful. For a full explanation of why it is useful please read my earlier post here

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...3&postcount=11

Last edited by Tedwood; 02-16-2009 at 06:09 AM.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:41 AM   #57
the all new rob

No, it's even better!

If you drop the group on the grid, they go on adjacent notes, but if you drop them on one key of the keyboard, they all go onto one note, at equal velocity spacing.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:34 AM   #58
Tedwood

That is pretty cool Rob, but it does depend on rather a lot. For a start, all the samples have to named so they will fall into the correct velocity layer. Secondly, it assumes you want your samples equally spaced (and I never do), and thirdly it makes it harder to audition the samples in relation to each other if you want to edit some of the parameters.

While I really like the feature, I can't see myself using it much at all
Old 03-23-2009, 03:15 AM   #59
Wolffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
As a side note, here is a list of real acoustic drum samples that I have used with good results, and that I listed in the Drum Replacer thread. All are free to use....

Tom Hicks Samples
http://kondratko.com/TomHicks/tom_hicks_samples.html

Tchackpoum - Grab the Lagrosse Set
http://tchackpoum.free.fr/

Michael Kingston Ruffrider & Easyrider
http://www.michaelkingston.fi/kingstondrums/files.html

G&S Custom Work Drum kit Sample Library 1.0
http://www.autodafe.net/dblog/storico.asp?s=Samples

I hope this helps!
I,ve been trying to download the G&S Custom Work Drum kit Sample Library 1.0 but i,m having no luck. It starts to download ( at a painfully slow speed ) and then just randomly stops, after five attempts the best i,ve managed is to get about 94mb of the 181 mb rar file, anyone else had trouble downloading it ?.
Any ideas what might be the problem?

Cheers

PS: great work on this tutorial Tedwood.

https://soundcloud.com/wolffman7
Wolffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:48 AM   #60
junioreq

Great post, this is just what I needed.
junioreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:41 AM   #61
Bezmotivnik

Yeah, spent much of yesterday in the studio trying to implement all this at last. Hitting a lot of minor snags, but I'm confident I'll eventually get it. May need some additional clarification of points on which I'm hazy, but if so I'll get back with questions later.

Thanks for this tutorial!
Bezmotivnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:48 AM   #62
Bezmotivnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolffman View Post
I,ve been trying to download the G&S Custom Work Drum kit Sample Library 1.0 but i,m having no luck. It starts to download ( at a painfully slow speed ) and then just randomly stops, after five attempts the best i,ve managed is to get about 94mb of the 181 mb rar file, anyone else had trouble downloading it ?.
Yes, their server's atrocious. It took all afternoon yesterday to get it.

I did manage to get it in only two tries, with download resumed at the croaking point, and the kit did successfully unpack, rather to my surprise.

I suggest trying in the dead of night or other low-load time.

With another of the suggested kits (the French one), I couldn't even find a download link on the page, so I guess that's worse.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:50 AM   #63
Tedwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezmotivnik View Post
Yeah, spent much of yesterday in the studio trying to implement all this at last. Hitting a lot of minor snags, but I'm confident I'll eventually get it. May need some additional clarification of points on which I'm hazy, but if so I'll get back with questions later.

Thanks for this tutorial!

I guess I could do a "quick start" tutorial as a PDF to save people having to filter through this whole thread to get up and running - do you guys think that would help?

Last edited by Tedwood; 04-14-2009 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:09 AM   #64
Bezmotivnik

Quote:
I guess I could do a "quick start" tutorial as a PDF to save people having to filter through this whole thread to get up and running - do you guys think that would help?
I'd wait until more points get expanded and clarified in the "beta."

I'm having a bit of a problem (for example) in determining how to get the files structure set up. I've read your instructions, but still don't get where everything's supposed to be so it finds itself when needed. That samples usually come in superfluously-nested folders doesn't help. The SC preferences screen doesn't seem to work when laying this out, either, for some reason...or at least is non-intuitive in how to accomplish this.

Some of this confusion is also from previous contradictory forum advice on where to put the basic programs, plugins, VSTi's and Reaper itself on a two-drive DAW.

Last edited by Bezmotivnik; 04-14-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:39 AM   #65
spikemullings

Tremendous tutorial Ted!

And very helpful in the PDF format.

I have knocked up a couple of multi-layer kits today (one being the big mono kit and another being a much dryer Pearl kit) for a friend of mine who is new to this stuff.

Next thing now - does anyone know of any good free multi-layer bread and butter percussion samples to make a percussion set? The basics really, tambourines, shakers, bongos etc.

Thanks very much for this Ted - I never knew I had it in me!

Old 06-30-2009, 11:36 PM   #66
shane

after searching around for multivelocity drum samplers and reading this thread, i put together a little utility to simplify building shortcircuit drum kits.

it's a simple java program with an optional autohotkey front end. you feed it a properly structured folder containing wav samples and it will spit out an scm file that can be loaded into shortcircuit and a notes.txt file that can be loaded into reaper.

http://animalgod.com/misc/kitbuilder.zip

i'll probably make an independent thread for this, but wanted to get some feedback from interested parties first.

thanks for the tutorial, tedwood.

edit: sample path problem fixed.

Last edited by shane; 07-01-2009 at 01:12 AM.
shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:34 AM   #67
Marah Mag

Hi Tedwood.

Thanks for this tutorial. I'm finally getting around to checking out Shortcircuit and this has been helpful.

Question. I'm finding that when I bring in a wav file, I get a clicking kind of distortion from SC, but only (or mostly) when I'm on the actual sample edit page. If I switch to the multi page, it sounds fine. I know the samples themselves are clean. I've noticed this across many different samples. And I'm sure I'm not overdriving anything. It happens regardless of velocity or audio levels. EDIT: I should add that it's also not because of loops that are clicking when the repeat.

My project sample rate is 48k, as are the samples.

Any idea what might be behind this?

Thanks!

Last edited by Marah Mag; 07-15-2009 at 11:53 AM.
Marah Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:31 PM   #68
zorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane View Post
it's a simple java program with an optional autohotkey front end. you feed it a properly structured folder containing wav samples and it will spit out an scm file that can be loaded into shortcircuit and a notes.txt file that can be loaded into reaper.

http://animalgod.com/misc/kitbuilder.zip

i'll probably make an independent thread for this, but wanted to get some feedback from interested parties first.
Wow it's a gem, works beautifully !
i'm really glad i checked this thread, your tool makes building drum kits and combining them very very easy.
All it takes is a bit of file management in Windows explorer, and kitbuilder does the rest, it couldn't be easier

a microscopic nitpick : the reaper's notename file could be named after the kit's name.

Thank you very much !
zorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:01 PM   #69
fladd

You described in the Routing post, how you send channel 1/2 to the Kick track. When I do this, I will see the VU meter of the VSTi track also respond to the Kick (audio! not midi).
Wouldn't it thus be better to keep channel 1/2 to the midi and VSTi holding track and start sending from 3/4 onwards?

fladd
Old 02-07-2010, 04:45 PM   #70
Vincent Sermonne
Petit manitou

hello !
A simple post to report that I started building a kit Shortcircuit with the help of JS Round Robin and JS CC hihat controler for e-Drummers.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:13 PM   #71
fladd

For how is interested:
Shortcircuit Drumtrack Template

fladd
Old 02-14-2010, 08:09 PM   #72
pjk

Just a note to let people know that the Tom Hicks samples are once again in the page listed earlier in this thread. Web space is in flux, but the samples are still available at the link listed.

My apologies to anyone who tried to DL but couldn't find them.
pjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:33 PM   #73
James HE

Quote:
That is pretty cool Rob, but it does depend on rather a lot. For a start, all the samples have to named so they will fall into the correct velocity layer. Secondly, it assumes you want your samples equally spaced (and I never do), and thirdly it makes it harder to audition the samples in relation to each other if you want to edit some of the parameters.

While I really like the feature, I can't see myself using it much at all
Ted, spend a little while with this renaming utility and renaming files will be a snap! http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php

I am working on a brush kit using free samples from http://www.soniccouture.com/en/free-stuff/

the samples are really good.

If you download the Kontakt kit, you will have the wave files, -but xxx1 is the LOUDEST sample not the quietest. took me less than 5 minutes to 'fix' all of the waves in the folder with BRU- allowing me to drag them onto a key in Shortcircuit and have the velocities correct. (I simply drag them from there to make slight adjustments. You can get Kontakt player for free - but I think I can do a lot better job mapping something playable out on my own.

man everytime I use SC I get a little pissed off thinking about how it was abandoned and made as freeware - 3 weeks after I paid the >$90 to buy it... grrrrr

I will (when I am done, time permitting) post something about how I am using the looping and also 'on release' samples to get variation on the drags and pushes and stirs. This will be the most 'playble' free brush kit!
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:04 AM   #74
oerk

Thank you very much for this tutorial!

Tried it yesterday with the Big Mono kit, took me about an hour to set up. Once you get the basics down, it's really easy.
oerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:10 AM   #75
Hitch

Bookmarked.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:13 PM   #76
pw3

Quote:
I am working on a brush kit using free samples from http://www.soniccouture.com/en/free-stuff/

I will (when I am done, time permitting) post something about how I am using the looping and also 'on release' samples to get variation on the drags and pushes and stirs. This will be the most 'playble' free brush kit!
James HE - would you be willing to share the Shortcircuit multi file when you're done? I've recently built a pretty basic kit with these samples for something I'm working on, and I'd be interested to see how someone better-versed than I went about it.
pw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:21 PM   #77
James HE

Will do! working on it now! Whenever I start to get the music mojo going, I suddenly get really busy with my day job. So it's taking me more time than I thought. Running power tools all day does crazy things to your head when it comes to thinking about and creating sounds....

hmmm power tools that sounds like a fun idea for a sample set.. lol
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 03:40 PM   #78
pw3

Quote:
Originally Posted by James HE View Post
hmmm power tools that sounds like a fun idea for a sample set.. lol
Ooh...me likey...maybe someday I'll have a shop again, would be fun to contribute...router_bogged_down_in_white_oak.wav.. .
pw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:56 PM   #79
jacobestes

I know this is a very old thread, but I just wanted to say thanks and give it a bump in case anyone else out there is new to this sort of thing.

I'm getting a drum pad to augment my set with samples, and I was hoping to use it for practice and recording as well. I remember somebody mentioning on this forum that it's often easier for people to get a decent drum recording using BFD or the like than recording a real kit, and I certainly think that's the case with me.

I'll try to remember to post my SC kit and a Reaper file when I get it where I want it.

Thanks again, everybody.
jacobestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:39 AM   #80
RoboPlankton

Default A few points I'm struggling with

Howdy all! I'm a few days into trying out REAPER and must say it's a cool cookie.

All's going well but I'm confused on a few points using Shortcircuit in REAPER, despite staying up till 7am today. I'd like to thank Tedwood for this thread, it has been very useful.

About 4am I got to the point where I could get the samples stacked on to a single note, as outlined by Tedwod, and figure out how to adjust the individual minimum and maximum velocities. The problem is that no samples produce a sound if the maximum velocity is below 100. A level of 100 is fine, but a setting of 99 and below completely cuts off the sound. I was using the virtual keyboard in REAPER. Further, setting the volume between 100 and 127 makes no difference to the input to the relevant track in REAPER when I hit the key on the virtual keyboard. Any help on this would be most welcome.

I tried to get a midi file to trigger the samples in Shortcircuit and record to a second track, but all I got were those thin, solid red lines at the edge of the track panel windows and no actual sound. By 6am I figured I needed to know for sure if this is in fact possible to do.

Being a sampler noob, I'm not exactly sure how others use the layered drum kits in Shortcircuit. When you have several snares on a single key as in Tedwood's example, is this so they can be played together, or so that one can choose which snare sounds via the Shortcircuit solo feature for a hit on that key. Like having them organized conveniently so you can quickly select one particular snare for the task in hand. Maybe the answer is "both, and more". Any pointers towards the "more" would be welcome.

Finally, I wondered if all the midi controller keys in an octave can be set to trigger the same sample at the same pitch, so it would make no difference which key in that octave were hit to trigger the sample. This would be handy for playing drums "live" for a recording. Instead of having to concentrate on hitting a specific key to trigger a sample, one could slap a group of keys in an octave with two or three fingers. With a bit of practice I think it would be possible to produce flams by having one finger a little higher than the others and therefore hitting the key just a tad later.

I hope someone can find time to set me straight on the points I've covered. The possibilities for creative midi drumming with REAPER c/w Shortcircuit are obviously immense, even to a noob like me.

Cheers!
RoboPlankton is offline   Reply With Quote