Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 05-29-2019, 02:46 PM   #1
myname
Human being with feelings

Default Latency issue with Presonus Firestudio Project interface

Hello, I've decided to migrate from Ableton to Reaper, as I'm doing alot of audio multitracking and editing and Ableton's arrangement view is woefully underdeveloped as of Live 9.7.

I use a Presonus Firestudio Project interface mainly (I also have a Firestudio Mobile that I daisy chain for more channels). Running at 24/48k with buffer size of 256, I have a latency of 13ms in Ableton and there is no audible delay while monitoring inputs, even when running tons of plugins. Right now I am only recording guitar on one channel at a time.

Now, when I set the interface up in Reaper, all things being equal, I get a very noticeable half-second delay while playing even though the latency is supposedly 5.3ms, even with no plugins running. According to task manager my CPU is never running more than 20%, and RAM is rarely more than 25%.

I make sure when I change something in Reaper I also check to see if everything is still cool in Ableton, even rebooting in between and running only one DAW at a time. I have not had any degree of success.

I wonder if this is a hardware compatibility issue with Reaper specifically (I have the same problem in Adobe Audition, which used to be my go-to for tracking).

My system:

CPU: Core i5 750 @ 2.67GHZ 2.66 GHz
RAM: 16GB
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit fully up to date.
Firewire - PCI-e Texas Instruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller
Interface - Presonus Firestudio Project
DAWS - Ableton Live 9.7.2 (32-bit), Adobe Audition CC 2015 (64 bit), Reaper (32 bit). (Latency issue is in Reaper and Audition as described above)

Happy to provide more information to get this fixed as quickly as possible. I know my interface is pretty old, but I simply cannot afford to save up for more recent hardware.

Last edited by myname; 05-29-2019 at 02:53 PM. Reason: more info
myname is offline   Reply With Quote