Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 03-05-2015, 11:47 PM   #1
Undertowe
Human being with feelings

Default Live and seamless automated track arming/disarming

Let me first describe a scenario that fits what I'm looking to do.

I'm running direct into reaper through an audio interface (focusrite forte) and using amp sim VST's to generate my guitar tone. Let's say I have one track with a lead tone, I want that track to arm and start recording exactly when it's time to in the song, when I'm done playing the lead part, I would like to activate a delay to give it a nice fading delay tail while simultaneously unarming that track and arming a clean tone so I can keep playing the song and have everything sound seamless. I'm looking to accomplish this live in real time.

I have a shoddy solution using SWS extensions action markers, but the recording starts late and ends late as can be seen here: https://i.imgur.com/CXH8YnZ.png

I would be very grateful if anyone knows how I can get the seamless result I have in mind live. How could I apply the delay tail to only the end of the lead tone unless I arm a new track like I'm trying to do?

Regards,

Undertowe
Undertowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 11:03 PM   #2
Undertowe

Does anyone think a solid state hard drive would help? It seems like the track gets armed in time but there is a delay before it begins recording and before it stops. It would really change this whole game for me if I could get this working seamlessly.

Last edited by Undertowe; 03-08-2015 at 11:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Undertowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:32 AM   #3
Pasajeromoronmoreno

One thing to do it's deactivate anticipative fx processing, sure it will help with the arming and the delay times. Other thing you can try, in conjunction with the first thing, it's to have all the tracks armed and mute, unmute instead. I think there's a fade time seteable for the mutes.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:01 AM   #4
mschnell

I use "LiveConfig" (a part of SWS) for live purpose (on a midi message (CC or PC) unmuting the tack that is supposed to be active (muting all others in config group) and feeding parameters to all effects in the chain of that track.

Unfortunately the official docs for LiveConfig are rather outdated, so I did a not yet published upgraded PDF here: http://www.bschnell.de/LiveConfigs_1.pdf

For Guitarists pedals sending midi messages to switch effect configuration are "handy".

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote