Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 01-14-2020, 10:26 AM   #41
LugNut
Human being with feelings

mccrabney,

I realize you want it in reaper, but points wishes 1 thru 4 are easily done in that iPad app I mentioned. Plusw/o using stretch markers a sample loop in reaper won't change tempo in realtime...unless I've been missing something.
I really wish the devs would look at beat maker 3 and fkn copy it! It uses elatique like reaper. But kills it.
I use it as a "plugIn "of sorts via an I connectivity audio 4+ interface that allows two devices at the same time.
This is the last time I'll give away this info:-)

BTW..what part of Florida?
LugNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:16 AM   #42
ovnis

Quote:
Battery 4. Never liked Battery. Had version 2 and 3... couldn't get on with it. Have Battery 4 included with my Komplete install and still don't enjoy using it. Maybe I'll give it another try.
Battery 4 is a downgrade of Battery 3.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jxcf5oMhNlA
ovnis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:25 AM   #43
Ideosound

serato sample?
Ideosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:58 AM   #44
mccrabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugNut View Post
that iPad app I mentioned...BTW..what part of Florida?
i'm over here in Doopt, about 15 miles south of Kinkle Village. but i won't be here long, sadly

i'll check out that mobile program using someone else's Apple device, but i definitely want something that will load in REAPER rather than requiring its own connectivity.

serato sample might be worth investigation.
mccrabney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:05 PM   #45
themixtape

Quote:
mccrabney,

I realize you want it in reaper, but points wishes 1 thru 4 are easily done in that iPad app I mentioned. Plusw/o using stretch markers a sample loop in reaper won't change tempo in realtime...unless I've been missing something.
I really wish the devs would look at beat maker 3 and fkn copy it! It uses elatique like reaper. But kills it.
I use it as a "plugIn "of sorts via an I connectivity audio 4+ interface that allows two devices at the same time.
This is the last time I'll give away this info:-)

BTW..what part of Florida?
Whoa whoa whoa, lugnut... tell me more about how you can use Beatmaker 3 as a plugin of sorts using that iConnectivity interface.... I have an ipad 5, and have been looking at Beatmaker 3 A LOT...

Thanks!
Old 01-15-2020, 04:22 PM   #46
suleiman

TX16WX....still the best

https://www.tx16wx.com/

chops, layers,records, edits, shows visualization, has fx, flexibile routing, mod for days, auto token mapping, now with DFD...what else do u want ?

miniscule download and free version available... but please get the paid one..sooo cheap and soo good

Salamat
suleiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 05:02 PM   #47
Refillable

Quote:
Originally Posted by suleiman View Post
TX16WX....still the best

chops, layers,records, edits, shows visualization, has fx, flexibile routing, mod for days, auto token mapping, now with DFD...what else do u want ?

miniscule download and free version available... but please get the paid one..sooo cheap and soo good
Thanks for reminding me! I own the pro version and apparently version 3 is out. Downloading now.
Refillable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 03:27 AM   #48
dupont

Quote:
TX16WX....still the best

But not easy to use...
dupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 03:30 AM   #49
dupont

Studio one sampler is my favourite, I love the ability to sample external synth straight inside the sampler. You can set a threshold and auto assign the samples to keys. That's a huge time saver and great workflow.

Something similar can be done in TX16 but It is not as user friendly.
dupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 04:36 AM   #50
mccrabney

Quote:
TX16WX......what else do u want ?
bulk edit of chop loop xfade
Old 01-16-2020, 07:47 AM   #51
vdubreeze

Quote:
TX16WX....still the best

Not to seem unappreciative of the generosity of such a powerful free sampler, I find tx16WX good for importing but too frustrating for manipulating and editing. I revisit it every few months and after a few minutes move on to something else. My opinion is that the meat and potatoes of turning samples into instruments is too cumbersome. If it's not a more streamlined approach in the paid version there's not much incentive no matter how powerful it is. Taking a handful of sustains, looping, assigning to keys and setting the envelope to make a patch just takes much too long. I'd like to see the the variety of windows be more interactive, so that you can do more within a single, main window.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:41 AM   #52
mccrabney

agree, that's been my experience with TX16WX as well.

i for one hate the "keymap" view for mapping samples to notes, you see it in a bunch of samplers and it's so tedious.

what is it about these sampler vstis? they require so much tiny mousing and pixel counting to do any tasks, yet somehow also managing to have these massive GUIs that take up an entire laptop screen.

look no further than "Global Param Edit" in jjos for a lesson in how to fit a ton of power into a tiny display, with the ability to select a range of params/samples and edit them simultaneously.

i imagine stuff like Push and Maschine do a better job with controller integration, but i'm not interested in buying into someone else's workflow. i just want a sampler vst that is controller friendly.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:15 AM   #53
Tomm

Some time ago there was a REAPER to SFZ converter, that turned REAPER's arrange view into a basic sampler of sorts. No where near as comprehensive as a typical VSTi sampler, but it could be an idea for some clever folks to develop further:

https://stash.reaper.fm/v/435/rpp2sfz.zip

image from the included help file:

so, it appears each track or track folder is a note, but for round robin you can add additional media objects to that specific track:

strange, and there are other features.... anyways, just popped in my head as the arrange view is so much easier to navigate and edit objects, versus built-in vsti keymap views. I seem to recall it can be used for normal/piano style instruments, using regions or markers to seperate arrange into specific notes, so it'd end up looking more like a traditional keymap editor
Tomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 01:26 AM   #54
themixtape

Chiming in on this thread again...

Messed around a bit with Battery 4, chopping samples MPC-style (sadly, with the damn MOUSE which is still STUPID when Maschine, Poise, Ableton Simpler/Push can all set the sample start/end points from a knob/encoder)...

Interestingly, I don't know why Battery 4's "Standard" mode does not STOP THE SAMPLE PLAYING, when it reaches the END point... (even when you hold the key a bit too long)

But, the VINTAGE mode does....

What if I want the Standard mode for chopping stuff, because when I pitch it up or down, I don't want to hear the MPC60/SP1200 effect on my chops (yes, I know it's cool but it's not always what I want)... no choice.

I really can't understand the backwards thought process with a lot of these samplers.

Maschine as a plugin is still the king, and the fastest. That, and Poise, with the sample start/end mapped to two different encoders. Note On or One-Shot, easily.

I need sleep... haha
Old 10-07-2020, 11:12 PM   #55
Beastmode Beats

DirectWave is the most effective sampler. But it needs more editing features for the $200 I spent. And Kontakt uses too much RAM for ease of access when it comes to sounds. Roms on keyboards do not use as much memory as Kontakt libraries so they are quicker to load using LSB and MSB bank messages. This is how I know Kontakt is counterintuitive when it comes to productivity and workflow, almost everything has to be set up as a project template for Kontakt. Furthermore, when running multiple instances it can be a resource hog.

Last edited by Beastmode Beats; 10-07-2020 at 11:19 PM.
Beastmode Beats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:29 PM   #56
Beastmode Beats

But the RS5K is faster than any other sampler, the secret is your project settings when rendering, change resampling to extreme HQ, and when producing, select lower point sampling, lower interpolation, or good. Don’t choose best or extreme because when a sample buffers RAM it is not able to maintain the interpolation of the audio sample depending on how long it is played and how many samples are buffering, causing latency, distortion, and clicking, and popping. Render high quality files with a large 1024 buffer and win!
Beastmode Beats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 12:00 AM   #57
martmix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastmode Beats View Post
But the RS5K is faster than any other sampler, the secret is your project settings when rendering, change resampling to extreme HQ, and when producing, select lower point sampling, lower interpolation, or good. Don’t choose best or extreme because when a sample buffers RAM it is not able to maintain the interpolation of the audio sample depending on how long it is played and how many samples are buffering, causing latency, distortion, and clicking, and popping. Render high quality files with a large 1024 buffer and win!
thank you Beastmode
martmix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 02:00 AM   #58
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
i do wish RS5K was just an embedded, editable, midi triggered REAPER track in VSTi form, in which you could edit an item and ultimately opt to "print" it onto the actual track. just like... a stripped down, single track REAPER project that would play like a sample when you hit a midi note.
mccrabney, my friend, you can do this already in Reaper. At least I am doing it already and explained elsewhere in this forum, a few times, I guess.

Anyway, the trick is using pizmidi midiConverter3, once or as in my case twice before RS5k, for converting e.g. pitch to velocity. Then you get what you wanted minus the velocity, but for one shot samples I want mostly anyway full velocity, so already cool enough.

What I like in Rs5k we can have any many stereo outs as we want, best technique I know so far is the "pin technique".

All samples spread on keyboard (thanks to midiConverter3), unlimited stereo outs (I use mostly 8, keeping it simple for hardware midi controllers), what else one might wish?

I also want to recommend redux additionally, so the dream team is Rs5k + redux + hackey trackey + impyC.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 02:09 AM   #59
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Waster View Post
It sounds like you don't really want a sampler, so much as a static REAPER track which can be MIDI triggered, independent of the timeline, or more correctly, independent of the transport position.
Is anything like this possible what is not a sampler or vst?
Old 10-08-2020, 02:13 AM   #60
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hits_of_sunshine View Post
What I have : Battery Guru Geist Halion Groove Agent Poise TX16Wx RMV
Maschine MPC software Directwave MuX Redux FL Studio

What I use : MPL RS5K Manager
For what you need or using mpl rs5k manager? Even this I am not needing, when using midiConverter3 technique for spreading the samples over the keyboard.
Old 10-08-2020, 03:29 AM   #61
Steviebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
You also have Native Instruments Battery. You can put pretty much anything in it, not just drums.
this... +1
Steviebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 07:33 AM   #62
hits_of_sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
For what you need or using mpl rs5k manager? Even this I am not needing, when using midiConverter3 technique for spreading the samples over the keyboard.
As far as I remember, it has a function to import dynamic-splitted samples from the track into several RS5k instances.

And with sample for melody, simply use RS5k Note mode (semitone shifted) on another track.

BTW, recently I'm using MPC again. And I noticed that MPC is not only good sampler, but also superb sequencer.
It's more hard to find a sequencer that as good as MPC than sampler.
hits_of_sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:55 AM   #63
Win Conway

Quote:
Hi,
I know its not a vst but if you have an iPad air 1 or higher take a look at beat maker 3.
The sampler blows everything out of the water.
Best 30$ I ever spent.
Guys are dumping their mpc live's for bm3.
Actually it was a VST in alpha, v3.1 in beta was next level, then the prick who now owns it forced out the real developer, it went from monthly big updates to yearly tiny updates, including breaking a lot of features (Dropbox no longer works if you have a paid account for example) and it is now basically dead in the water.
Sad stuff, this could easily have changed the sampler landscape if the owner wasn't such a colossal cock nozzle.
Old 10-08-2020, 09:01 AM   #64
Win Conway

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Is anything like this possible what is not a sampler or vst?
Yes, a few of us have been asking for it from the very earliest days of Reaper, I even made a bunch of toolbars and macros to achieve some semblance, but it was super limited.
Fairlights could do it, many years ago.
Old 10-08-2020, 12:42 PM   #65
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hits_of_sunshine View Post
BTW, recently I'm using MPC again. And I noticed that MPC is not only good sampler, but also superb sequencer.
It's more hard to find a sequencer that as good as MPC than sampler.
Timingwise for sure, MPC and Atari ST with Notator.
But groove quantization with MPC swings is acceptable in reaper as well.
Old 07-25-2021, 03:36 AM   #66
functionform

Where did you guys land? I've been tearing my hair out over this recently. If only rs5k was adapted into the poise workflow that would be perfect. I'm seriously considering a super expensive mpc one over this although maschine seems cheaper. It's a wonder no one has rebuilt poise in Reaktor. I can't believe how many people in the producer community want basically the exact same thing yet no one provides it despite almost everybody having pieces of the puzzle! What's the hard part?
functionform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 08:14 PM   #67
Rednroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by functionform View Post
Where did you guys land? I've been tearing my hair out over this recently. If only rs5k was adapted into the poise workflow that would be perfect. I'm seriously considering a super expensive mpc one over this although maschine seems cheaper. It's a wonder no one has rebuilt poise in Reaktor. I can't believe how many people in the producer community want basically the exact same thing yet no one provides it despite almost everybody having pieces of the puzzle! What's the hard part?
Would like to know as well. I have an old Akai S2800 and have been working on replacing everything to be inside the box. I have Kontakt, love all the Kontakt library options but now looking for a more simpler pad/key triggered one shot load in a .wav file, have it pitched across the keyboard, etc just like a MPC/Akai S-Style samplers.

A google search yielded this free result which sounds promising.
https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2020/04/21/mpc-vst/

Last edited by Rednroll; 07-25-2021 at 08:29 PM.
Rednroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:57 AM   #68
Kypresso

Quote:
Originally Posted by functionform View Post
Would the free MPC beats be enough for you?
Kypresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 01:52 PM   #69
dolomick

There is seriously a glaring hole in the market for this, I was just looking too. For me, slice to midi is an important and overlooked feature, and as far as *third party* solutions, Kontakt and Maschine (and Momentum) seem to be the only ones that offer that. Egoist, Initial Audio's Slice, and Waves's new one look good but don't offer that. Egoist and Slice are a little basic regarding adsr though.

Simpler really kills it on this front. Maybe if we all ask Waves to implement slice to midi it would happen, who knows.

In reaper, MK Slicer is awesome, but I often want to tighten up my breaks and then I have to manually do that across many RS5k instances. The old RS5k manager seemed to have global controls that are gone, which would have solved that. Really a lame situation all around for users who like to chop breaks and keep the timing in midi.
dolomick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 04:27 PM   #70
Rednroll

I was always a fan of Akai Samplers and the MPC drum machines. This one works for my needs.
https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2020/04/21/mpc-vst/
Rednroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 06:07 AM   #71
mccrabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolomick View Post
The old RS5k manager seemed to have global controls that are gone
is this actually the case? i looked at MPL's repo and everything still seems to be there. don't forget the "additional" repo.

https://github.com/MichaelPilyavskiy...ipt_Additional

i have used these plugins for three years now to create/control RS5K instances and parameters without mousing it much at all. as such i haven't missed a lot from the more fully featured JJOS MPC series, other than trigger offset (which i emulate using a fully wet tempo synced delay) and simult pad (which i emulate using script-driven single-instance MIDI note mappers), and velocity-linked parameters (ie attack or filter value is less at harder velocity strokes)
Old 03-24-2022, 10:01 AM   #72
SmoothOperator

Default CD J Midi

Do any of these samplers work with a midi CDJ interface, eg for scratching?

Also are there any good presets for using a CDJ with Reaper. The CDJ seems almost ideal for doing the kinds of things I do routinely with Reaper. EG finding sections in the music using the jog wheel and hot cues. I would love to be able to use my tempo slider to edit envelope points, since it has a nice long travel distance that is very precise.
SmoothOperator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 01:48 PM   #73
lolilol1975

Waves CR8 is $10 at the moment and is impossible to beat at this price I think: up to 8 samples simultaneously, each sliceable, playable forward and reverse, with filtering, 4 ADSR, 4 LFOs and MSEG, and assignable to keys.
The only thing that sucks is of course the licence management software.

https://www.waves.com/cr8-creative-s...etting-started

Last edited by lolilol1975; 03-25-2022 at 12:50 AM.
lolilol1975 is offline   Reply With Quote