Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 11-27-2016, 12:44 AM   #81
helgoboss
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitain View Post
Wow, that is EXACTLY the problem helgoboss. CC38 is missing, thank you!

What I´m really trying to do is to build a MIDI controller using 14bit NRPN messages with TEENSY. My current code does not seem to work properly with ReaLearn, that´s why I was testing it with the DR202. But you´re right, the DR202 have no use for this... Clearly, the problem is on my code. I´ll keep working on it, and I´ll keep you posted when I manage it to work.

Thanks again!
Just a quick hint: CC38 needs to become before CC6. So one possible order is for example: CC98, CC99, CC38, CC6
helgoboss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 09:59 AM   #82
ambi

Default Target current FX

For my use cases, it would be very useful to have ReaLearn only target the currently focused FX.

The way I'd like to use it is that I'll put several ReaLearn instances as input FX, one for each VST I use, using the same CC values(from the same external controller), and then select which VST gets controlled by selecting it in the output FX chain.
Would this be possible?
I'm also a developer btw, and if given access to the source I could probably have a go at implementing this myself if that's of interest.
Thanks for your work! This is really something Reaper needed!
ambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:01 AM   #83
Piszpan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambi View Post
For my use cases, it would be very useful to have ReaLearn only target the currently focused FX.

The way I'd like to use it is that I'll put several ReaLearn instances as input FX, one for each VST I use, using the same CC values(from the same external controller), and then select which VST gets controlled by selecting it in the output FX chain.
Would this be possible?
I'm also a developer btw, and if given access to the source I could probably have a go at implementing this myself if that's of interest.
Thanks for your work! This is really something Reaper needed!
I also think this should be the default behaviour - it would prevent from accidentally changing settings in a wrong plugin.
However, I guess that people who want to use ReaLearn for live performances, would rather want to be able to control all plugins, not only the focused one.
Piszpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:32 AM   #84
stars

I want to be able to map midi controller to track's volume fader and send's but in a way that when changing track order in the mixer the mapping stays the same, whith Realearn it would be possible but I need to be able to have Realearn learn fader volume and sends as source and midi cc as a target (to generate midi cc in the target section) so that I would be able to have feedback to my midi controller.
Im curious how hard/time consuming would it be to implement this function?

Last edited by stars; 12-07-2016 at 01:24 AM.
stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 06:57 AM   #85
helgoboss

Hi everybody,

ReaLearn is now out of beta: ReaLearn 1.0.0

Changes:
#45 Added option "FX must have focus" to FX parameter target
#48 Fixed UI freeze on Windows when using action target by loading the complete set of action names not before clicking action dropdown
#43 Fixed superfluous invocation of trigger-style actions when releasing a MIDI switch (note or CC) by making it possible to specify an invocation type and making "Trigger" the default type (because most actions have trigger character)
#46 Fixed UI freeze when using (N)RPN source by replacing dropdown with text field
#44 Fixed unnecessary reload of action list

@ambi #45 should do what you requested.

@stars I think what you are asking for is MIDI feedback. Would take me some time to implement this properly but shouldn't be very hard. I'm planning to make some MIDI feedback experiments until the end of the year.

Merry Christmas!

Ben
Old 12-23-2016, 07:22 AM   #86
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
Hi everybody,

ReaLearn is now out of beta: ReaLearn 1.0.0

Changes:
#45 Added option "FX must have focus" to FX parameter target
#48 Fixed UI freeze on Windows when using action target by loading the complete set of action names not before clicking action dropdown
#43 Fixed superfluous invocation of trigger-style actions when releasing a MIDI switch (note or CC) by making it possible to specify an invocation type and making "Trigger" the default type (because most actions have trigger character)
#46 Fixed UI freeze when using (N)RPN source by replacing dropdown with text field
#44 Fixed unnecessary reload of action list

@ambi #45 should do what you requested.

@stars I think what you are asking for is MIDI feedback. Would take me some time to implement this properly but shouldn't be very hard. I'm planning to make some MIDI feedback experiments until the end of the year.

Merry Christmas!

Ben
Bloody awesome thank you!!
Old 12-23-2016, 07:38 PM   #87
helgoboss

I found a critical timing bug in 1.0.0 (that's the sort of thing that usually happens shortly after you have published the final release after months of beta releases ). I strongly recommend updating to ReaLearn 1.0.1.

Changes:
#49 Fixed critical timing bug that caused MIDI messages to be forwarded (let through) slightly delayed
Old 12-24-2016, 12:55 PM   #88
stars

Quote:
Ben
Yes its exactly what I need. Thank you so much!
stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 04:29 PM   #89
zookthespook

helgoboss !
cannot thank you enough for your efforts ..
realearn alongside LBX stripper will make realer run in god mode !! cheers
5am
zookthespook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 06:07 PM   #90
teniente powell

Thanks for this tool. It could be very useful.

I have setup an ipad as an OSC device with TouchOSC. Reaper recognize it perfectly, but Realearn does not (as a source). Tried as Fx and input Fx.

Any idea?
teniente powell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 04:35 PM   #91
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by teniente powell View Post
Thanks for this tool. It could be very useful.

I have setup an ipad as an OSC device with TouchOSC. Reaper recognize it perfectly, but Realearn does not (as a source). Tried as Fx and input Fx.

Any idea?
ReaLearn currently doesn't support OSC. It's MIDI only.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:02 PM   #92
teniente powell

Thanks. Anyway, disabling OSC feature and enabling midi in the ipad, Reaper recognize a "Midi Channel 1 CC1" when I move a slider (in OSC mode it would be "slider 1"). I suppose that "Midi Channel 1 CC1" is a midi message, but Realearn doesn't recognize it. Why?

No problem with a keyboard controller conected via usb. The problem is via wifi.

I encourage you to make bigger Realearn. It could be a fantastic tool. Maybe an essential tool. Its possibilities are infinite.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:29 AM   #93
Sju

Hi! Thanks for this awesome plugin!

Just wanted to report a little graphics glitch: the UI doesn't seem to like over 100% size settings for Windows graphics. This happens with 125%

Attached Images
File Type: png realearn cropped gui.png (14.4 KB, 2639 views)
Sju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 02:25 AM   #94
flyshe

I found some misbehaviour:
if i open the "edit" window for a particular mapping, realearn always shows the wrong "target track". It's always the previous track, to the actual track the parameter is mapped to.

For example i have 2 tracks named "1" and "2", then i learn some parameter on track "2", realearn shows that the target track is "1", though it works as desired. In the main window, where you can see all the differnet mappings, it shows correctly.

Then i have a little question:
CPU wise, would it be better to have one realearn instance with alot of different mappings, or more instances with less mappings? does it make a difference at all? I have a really complex looper setup with feedback routing, live input and 4 different controlsurfaces, so there are a lot of mappings. I come to a point where every little saving of cpu is valuable

thx

Last edited by flyshe; 01-13-2017 at 02:35 AM.
flyshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 07:02 AM   #95
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyshe View Post
I found some misbehaviour:
if i open the "edit" window for a particular mapping, realearn always shows the wrong "target track". It's always the previous track, to the actual track the parameter is mapped to.
Thanks, confirmed. Will fix this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyshe View Post
Then i have a little question:
CPU wise, would it be better to have one realearn instance with alot of different mappings, or more instances with less mappings? does it make a difference at all? I have a really complex looper setup with feedback routing, live input and 4 different controlsurfaces, so there are a lot of mappings. I come to a point where every little saving of cpu is valuable

thx
It shouldn't make any difference really. If it does, please let me know ... I would consider this as a bug.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:05 AM   #96
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by teniente powell View Post
Thanks. Anyway, disabling OSC feature and enabling midi in the ipad, Reaper recognize a "Midi Channel 1 CC1" when I move a slider (in OSC mode it would be "slider 1"). I suppose that "Midi Channel 1 CC1" is a midi message, but Realearn doesn't recognize it. Why?

No problem with a keyboard controller conected via usb. The problem is via wifi.
Can you check if the track that contains ReaLearn actually receives MIDI messages? You can check by using ReaControlMIDI log.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sju View Post

Just wanted to report a little graphics glitch: the UI doesn't seem to like over 100% size settings for Windows graphics. This happens with 125%

Which Windows version is this?
Old 01-20-2017, 08:02 AM   #97
teniente powell

Quote:
Can you check if the track that contains ReaLearn actually receives MIDI messages? You can check by using ReaControlMIDI log.
Fantastic. It works. Realearn detects midi message from my ipad.

It could be an essential tool for Reaper.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:19 AM   #98
Stew

Hi, thanks for this Helgoboss. I've finally managed to get the 'Magic AB' plugin to have a simple hardware A/B button, which I'd failed to do with Reaper's native MIDI implementation for ages, so am very happy!

A couple of Qs/points:

1 - I have the same graphics issue as Sju. Not sure what my display zoom is or how to find it out though. I'm on Win7, 64 bit.

2 - Is there a way to configure ReaLearn to act as per the 'blue hand' functionality in Ableton Live? ie, where control will pass to the first 8 parameters that are mapped to a given focused track?

3 - And, is there any way to generate MIDI from the computer keyboard, again as per Live? In Live I mapped the letter B to toggle Magic AB in about half a second. Would be brilliant to have this ability in Reaper too.

4 - Can ReaLearn deal with MIDI generated from a control surface which is not also enabled as a MIDI device? (I'm using a BCF2000 as control surface using Klinke's Mackie emulation, and it only works properly if I DON'T also make it a MIDI device. This means I can't get Reaper/ReaLearn to respond to the 16 or so MIDI buttons that are included within the BCF map (although Reaper does 'see' them when I get it to learn). My workaround is to also use a NanoKontrol2 in CC mode, which is fine, but I just wonder really).

Anyway, thanks once again.

Stew
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 11:51 AM   #99
Rimokatolik

Default Handling on/off states

Hi, I am new to Reaper and I am evaluating it for use with Hauptwerk. This plugin allows me to handle special messages from Hauptwerk, not only notes from the keyboard. However, I have problem to handle on/off states. For example, I want to do mute on the channel as on/off state, and from Hautpwerk I get message from MIDI pad, but seems that MIDI learn toggles mute only on note-on message. How to specify true on/off?
Rimokatolik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:28 AM   #100
Rimokatolik

Default SYSEX messages

Could support for SYSEX messages be added?
Rimokatolik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 11:12 AM   #101
helgoboss

Released ReaLearn 1.0.2

Changes:
#51 Fixed incorrectly displayed target track in dialog window (always showed previous track)
Old 02-05-2017, 12:18 PM   #102
Sju

Quote:
Which Windows version is this?
Sorry missed your reply. I'm using Windows 7.
Sju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 01:32 PM   #103
rob_rob

To start off: Nice work! Thank you, I have been looking for something like this for a while.

Parameter feedback would be awesome!
The "simple" approach of having the plugin putting out the midi feedback on the regular signal path isn't all that bad. I'd even prefer it that way, as i would allways dedicate a track for the plugin and reapers send routing is excellent.
rob_rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 04:57 AM   #104
stk

Just discovered your plugin today helgoboss while building a pretty complex RPR <> Mobius (looper) integration - you have made my life significantly less painful!
I love the Reaper but MIDI learn is a massively clunky balls-up, this brings it one step closer to click'n'learn pleasure. Donation coming your way shortly.
stk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 12:15 PM   #105
Regisfofo

Hi,
Your plugin could be just what I need, but I have a problem installing it.

Reaper won't scan the vst on my system, OsX 10.8.3, Reaper 5.35.

Don't work with the pkg installer. Tried to move the vst file separately on different location where I know vst files can be scanned, but did not work anyway...
Regisfofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:43 AM   #106
Tiramitsu

Great work Helgoboss ! It's an essential plugin, thank you a lot !
Tiramitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:38 AM   #107
occultron

Awesome work, and much needed!!

I've almost daily cursed REAPER MIDI learn for not having simple min & max value controls - instead opting for baseline + offset + scale, which is super fiddly to get precise ranges. I just don't understand how anyone could prefer working with that.

Realearn to the rescue!
occultron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:50 AM   #108
DeBased

Really useful, thanks @HelgoBoss.

Please consider a donation everyone, even a small amount is better than nothing. It also keeps projects like this alive. Speaking as a dev myself, it takes a lot of time to implement all the niceties this plugin has. It's fairly easy to code something that sort of works, but falls apart if you look at it funny : ).
DeBased is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 02:22 AM   #109
DastardlyMut

Helgoboss, thank you so much for releasing this awesome tool! It's really helped with me map particular send volumes to different knobs on my controller.

One thing I find that the plugin is missing is a soft-takeover function. This would really complete it for me!

Keep doing all this good work helgo, really making Reaper a happier place for all

EDIT: "I see 'Max Jump' is used to adjust soft-takeover stuff, my bad"

Last edited by DastardlyMut; 06-15-2017 at 11:32 AM.
DastardlyMut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:32 AM   #110
Smurf

Again, it is users like this that keep Reaper alive & viable....
Old 06-27-2017, 01:58 AM   #111
casrya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sju View Post

Same problem here and it is more than just a visual problem because the controls are cropped and you can’t do some of the important functions (such as learn target, duplicate or remove). As Sju states you can workaround by setting display scaling to 100% (which is very small on my system) or alternatively in my case the Reaper setting Preferences->General->Advanced UI Tweaks->HiDPI set to unaware also fixes the ReaLearn issue (Windows 10 only) but makes Reaper looks terrible/blurry.

Hopefully this is something you can fix since otherwise ReaLearn is really good

Edit: Same behaviour on both Windows 10 x64 (laptop) and Windows 8 x64 (media PC) with Reaper/ReaLearn x32 version

Thanks,

casrya

Last edited by casrya; 06-27-2017 at 02:10 AM. Reason: add detail
casrya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 01:57 PM   #112
ThrashJazzAssassin

I might have found a bug.

When saving/loading a Reaper track template, ReaLearn Relative mappings are reverted to Absolute.

How to reproduce
----------------
  1. Put realearn on a track
  2. map any parameter and set it to Relative mode
  3. save the track as a track template
  4. Load track template
  5. = Mapping is Absolute mode
Old 10-17-2017, 02:37 PM   #113
hejmathias

Thanks! Having track volume and track pan available on the current track allows me to use my MIDI controller (Arturia Beatstep) as a small 8 channel mixer where any track (or multiple tracks) can be assigned to any channel.

All I need now is the addition of "track mute" (mainly) and "track solo" (luxury) :-)

Great work.
hejmathias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:28 AM   #114
sickamorz
Banned

Reapers learn I use it often, does this one work in the same way as the one in reaper? or is this just a beta test at this time?
Also if a person does not like this learn system, is it easy to remove?
sickamorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:38 PM   #115
ThrashJazzAssassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickamorz View Post
Reapers learn I use it often, does this one work in the same way as the one in reaper?
Native Reaper learning and ReaLearn are similar and overlap in a lot of ways. They complement each other.

I find Realearn most useful when I have a MIDI device already sending notes to a track and want to map some knobs. In ReaLearn I can map the knobs to a plugin's host parameters and the track's volume, pans, sends, etc; then because ReaLearn is a VST plugin, all the mappings can be restored when saved as part of the Track Template.

Native Reaper does this but is a lot more cumbersome and inflexible. Mapping track volume/pan/sends natively involves learning the controls in the Actions list, which is global, so persist when changing projects.

Quote:
or is this just a beta test at this time?
No. It's stable.

Quote:
Also if a person does not like this learn system, is it easy to remove?
Very easy to remove. Or just don't use it if you don't need it. ReaLearn does not replace Reaper's native MIDI learning.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:56 AM   #116
sickamorz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashJazzAssassin View Post
Native Reaper learning and ReaLearn are similar and overlap in a lot of ways. They complement each other.

I find Realearn most useful when I have a MIDI device already sending notes to a track and want to map some knobs. In ReaLearn I can map the knobs to a plugin's host parameters and the track's volume, pans, sends, etc; then because ReaLearn is a VST plugin, all the mappings can be restored when saved as part of the Track Template.

Native Reaper does this but is a lot more cumbersome and inflexible. Mapping track volume/pan/sends natively involves learning the controls in the Actions list, which is global, so persist when changing projects.

No. It's stable.

Very easy to remove. Or just don't use it if you don't need it. ReaLearn does not replace Reaper's native MIDI learning.
thanks for your response.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:41 AM   #117
daniboyle

Default During render the recorded CC modulations don't occur

Hi helgoboss! Thanks for this excellent plugin though I have a problem: Reaper ignores what comes from the control path during rendering so the recorded CC modulations occur during playback only. When I set a MIDI link to the FX parameter, it works with the rendering but it cannot work with ReaLearn at the same time. Is there any solution for the issue? Thanks for the answer in advance.

Best Regards,
Dan
daniboyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 03:39 AM   #118
sickamorz
Banned

I installed realearn is there any any instructions. I goto the reaper learn and see no difference than before I installed Realearn.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:39 AM   #119
Infrabass

Thanks for the AMAZING tool!
Infrabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:41 AM   #120
Xenakios

Quote:
I installed realearn is there any any instructions. I goto the reaper learn and see no difference than before I installed Realearn.
It doesn't replace or add to Reaper's own learn feature. It's a VST plugin that you have to put on some track in Reaper.