Hoodee
Human being with feelings

Default REAPER on Win 11

Anyone tried it yet?
Hoodee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 04:03 AM   #2
Softsynth

Not here. Some are though obviously - IOW people with systems 3 year old CPUs or less, or those lucky enough to have new enough TPM module capable motherboards with one installed - for whatever reason.

A reminder of what's going on:
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 06:17 AM   #3
Doc Brown

From what I can gather it's mainly aesthetic with some security enhancements. Not for me.
Doc Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 06:45 AM   #4
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
From what I can gather it's mainly aesthetic with some security enhancements. Not for me.
I asked the rme audio forum if my 9652 is going to work in Windows 11. They said Windows 11 is really just cosmetic so the drivers will work fine. It seems like Microsoft just hired graphic designers cuz I never see any real new functionality I windows. Twenty years later and they still can't put tabs in Windows Explorer File Manager.

Coachz Repo
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 08:54 AM   #5
toleolu

No immediate plans to go to 11 anytime soon, but I'm curious about one thing.

All this talk about this TPM thing, or whatever it's called, has something to do with the CPU if I understand correctly.

If that's the case, and push comes to shove, can I just get a new CPU that has that TPM thing and will fit in my current i5 socket?
Old 07-19-2021, 09:05 AM   #6
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by toleolu View Post

All this talk about this TPM thing, or whatever it's called, has something to do with the CPU if I understand correctly.

If that's the case, and push comes to shove, can I just get a new CPU that has that TPM thing and will fit in my current i5 socket?
Two types of TPM.

1) Separate chip. (2.0 official support)
2) Firmware version on the CPU. 2.0

If your motherboard was made in the last 3 years check if you can get a CPU with fTPM built in (firmware Trusted Platform Module).

Alternatively you might be able to source a TPM for your existing motherboard. Some reports saying -in the small print- Currently that only needs to be 1.2 to work at all in an unofficial capacity - anything less than 2.0 advised against by Microsoft, and TPM to work to full satisfaction.

My motherboard will take an older TPM. Sourcing one is another matter. Also there are reports that thosee older TPM standards somehow absolutely cripple CPU performance, which is probably why they didn't come as standard (the chip would've been dirt cheap to a mobo manufacturer), and Microsoft is recommending the even more secure 2.0.

That's not the end of it either. Your system has to be UEFI, Secure Boot capable, and to be set up that way.

Officially they say you need TPM 2.0 and it's not worth going to 11 if anything lower is going to cripple performance.

Last edited by Softsynth; 07-19-2021 at 09:14 AM.
Old 07-19-2021, 09:09 AM   #7
Glennbo

Quote:

Possibly. It would depend on the CPU with TPM built in compatibility with your mobo. Also note, if you enable Bit Locker with TPM at the CPU level, rather than a TMP module added to your mobo, it stores the encryption keys in your CPU, so swapping out the CPU again would be an issue. With no Bit Locker, it shouldn't be a problem.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 07:27 AM   #8
toleolu

Thanks Softsynth and Glenn.

I built this computer about 7 or 8 years ago, so I guess I'd have to start from scratch.

Not worried about it though. Given how the arthritis in my hands is getting worse, I suspect I'll only be able to play guitar for a few more years. Once that happens, I can do everything I need to do computer wise on my iPad.
Old 07-20-2021, 07:53 AM   #9
Glennbo

Quote:
Thanks Softsynth and Glenn.

I built this computer about 7 or 8 years ago, so I guess I'd have to start from scratch.
If your CPU is that old, it prolly has security holes that won't ever get patched. That was the case with my Intel i5 based machine I replaced about a year ago with a new Ryzen 3700X.

My reason for upgrading the hardware had nothing to do with OS requirements, and everything to do with serious flaws in the processor that were exclusive to Intel. That's why I went AMD for the first time in about 40 computer builds.

Every item that says "Not Affected" are security flaws that have to be patched on brand X processors, but not on AMDs.

Code:
/cpu/vulnerabilities/itlb_multihit:Not affected
/cpu/vulnerabilities/l1tf:Not affected
/cpu/vulnerabilities/mds:Not affected
/cpu/vulnerabilities/meltdown:Not affected
/cpu/vulnerabilities/spec_store_bypass:Mitigation: Speculative Store Bypass disabled via prctl and seccomp
/cpu/vulnerabilities/spectre_v1:Mitigation: usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user pointer sanitization
/cpu/vulnerabilities/spectre_v2:Mitigation: Full AMD retpoline, IBPB: conditional, STIBP: conditional, RSB filling
/cpu/vulnerabilities/srbds:Not affected
/cpu/vulnerabilities/tsx_async_abort:Not affected
Quote:
Not worried about it though. Given how the arthritis in my hands is getting worse, I suspect I'll only be able to play guitar for a few more years. Once that happens, I can do everything I need to do computer wise on my iPad.
Maybe we'll have a brane to midi interface by then!
Old 07-20-2021, 08:19 AM   #10
toleolu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
The horror!!
Old 07-20-2021, 08:34 AM   #11
Softsynth

Quote:
a brane is a physical object that generalizes the notion of a point particle to higher dimensions. Branes are dynamical objects which can propagate through spacetime according to the rules of quantum mechanics.

Phwoar, taking your music to another dimension!
Old 07-20-2021, 09:29 AM   #12
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
a brane is a physical object that generalizes the notion of a point particle to higher dimensions. Branes are dynamical objects which can propagate through spacetime according to the rules of quantum mechanics.

I'm having Deja Vu and amnesia at the same time.

I remember forgetting this before! <Steven Wright>
Old 07-20-2021, 12:29 PM   #13
maxdembo

Quote:

Give me my thought to midi hammock!
maxdembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 05:23 PM   #14
MiddleC

Quote:
Two types of TPM.

1) Separate chip. (2.0 official support)
2) Firmware version on the CPU. 2.0
I was informed my rig wasn't compatible due to the lack of TMP 2.0. However, my Gigabyte Aorus Z390 did have a software implementation of it that I could turn on in the BIOS. Trick is, it wasn't called "TPM". It was called PTT - Intel Platform Trust Technology.
MiddleC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 10:34 PM   #15
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleC View Post
I was informed my rig wasn't compatible due to the lack of TMP 2.0. However, my Gigabyte Aorus Z390 did have a software implementation of it that I could turn on in the BIOS. Trick is, it wasn't called "TPM". It was called PTT - Intel Platform Trust Technology.
One of the newer processor generations then.

Hopefully Microsoft will clear up the requirements soon.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Window....548267.0.html
"As far as we can tell, there is only one downside to using Intel PTT or AMD PSP fTPM over a dedicated TPM 2.0 chip. If you enable BitLocker, then all your keys will be saved to your processor, not a separate chip. Hence, changing your processor will remove your BitLocker keys and will cause problems. Not enabling BitLocker would avoid these problems, though."
Old 07-22-2021, 02:38 AM   #16
norbury brook

From Pete Brown at Microsoft:

DIY motherboards are almost all shipped with TPM turned off so it's invisible to the OS. Look for PTT in the settings and turn it on.

My tweet on that
https://twitter.com/Pete_Brown/statu...71834131025923

Also, make sure you have secure boot turned on in the BIOS while you're there. That requires that you're running in UEFI mode, which most folks are on systems that new.

M
Old 07-22-2021, 03:43 AM   #17
DarkStar

Forgive my ignorance - what is TPM for?
Old 07-22-2021, 04:24 AM   #18
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Forgive my ignorance - what is TPM for?
Security in short. Much more secure passwords linked to the hardware itself.

https://uk.pcmag.com/components/1341...for-windows-11
For starters: "after you press the power button on a newer PC that uses full-disk encryption and a TPM, the tiny chip will supply a unique code called a cryptographic key. If everything is normal, the drive encryption is unlocked and your computer starts up. If there’s a problem with the key—perhaps a hacker stole your laptop and tried to tamper with the encrypted drive inside—your PC won’t boot up. "

Win 11 so far a PR disaster to avert an even bigger one where "Windows as a service" would otherwise have come with the unacceptable time limit on older gear. Calling it a different operating system and giving the (now) old one a shelf life at least gives people ample warning.

Cynics OTOH would say right now to stop people using powerful older hardware to sell lots of new hardware!
I suspect Win 11 wouldn't be a thing without all the security holes identified in Win10 appearing during unprecedented number of ransomware attacks during this pandemic (all the home working). What's being called Win 11 would have just have been another bigger update to 10 (which in a way it is anyway).
Old 07-22-2021, 06:27 AM   #19
Glennbo

Quote:
Win 11 so far a PR disaster to avert an even bigger one where "Windows as a service" would otherwise have come with the unacceptable time limit on older gear. Calling it a different operating system and giving the (now) old one a shelf life at least gives people ample warning.

Cynics OTOH would say right now to stop people using powerful older hardware to sell lots of new hardware!
I suspect Win 11 wouldn't be a thing without all the security holes identified in Win10 appearing during unprecedented number of ransomware attacks during this pandemic (all the home working). What's being called Win 11 would have just have been another bigger update to 10 (which in a way it is anyway).
Why not just have all Windoze users buy dumb Wyse WinTerms, so all yer stuff lives on a Microsoft server in the sky? It would be a lot easier for Microsoft to get up in your business if you just willfully handed all your data over to them.
Old 07-22-2021, 02:04 PM   #20
themixtape

And people always give me crap for preferring Windows 7. Problems like this, are always why! No OS is ever good until like more than 7 years into its development. I DESPISE Windows 10. And I'm forced to move to it in the future. Meh.
Old 07-23-2021, 12:39 AM   #21
Softsynth

Vista-ME too:
..and there's more!
https://www.computerworld.com/articl...ver-again.html
Old 07-23-2021, 07:08 AM   #22
Glennbo

Quote:
Since none of your PCs will run Win11, just put ALL your data on OUR machines in the sky and run virtual Win11! My joke about using Wyse WinTerms connected to Microsoft servers in the sky wasn't too far off from reality.

Quote:
According to Microsoft, the virtualized instances of Windows 11 that Windows 365 will create, store, and maintain on the firm's Azure service will stream to any device equipped with a browser and connected to a sufficiently fat pipe to the internet. The local PC, if that's what it is, could be powered by a not-suitable-for-Windows-11 6th-generation Intel processor, and it wouldn't matter.
Old 07-23-2021, 07:28 AM   #23
Softsynth

Quote:
Since none of your PCs will run Win11, just put ALL your data on OUR machines in the sky and run virtual Win11! My joke about using Wyse WinTerms connected to Microsoft servers in the sky wasn't too far off from reality.
Well it almost looks like a fit up job by Intel and Microsoft, but in the opposite direction!

Skimped through an article just now stating that this is in a year where Intel have seen problems in the server market but they are actually stating that they are looking to recoup sales from growth in the home user sector instead as users will require lots of new new hardware in the next few years, hmm, gotta love that newly vitally important Windows 11 TPM .

This as "leaked" reports suggest a 22% performance boost over AMD Ryzen for the latest chips.
I would be more interested in seeing low cost, low consumption, high enough performance RISC chips from them. Both the big players have been caught with their pants down by Apple M1.
Old 07-23-2021, 08:48 AM   #24
Glennbo

Quote:
Well it almost looks like a fit up job by Intel and Microsoft, but in the opposite direction!

Skimped through an article just now stating that this is in a year where Intel have seen problems in the server market but they are actually stating that they are looking to recoup sales from growth in the home user sector instead as users will require lots of new new hardware in the next few years, hmm, gotta love that newly vitally important Windows 11 TPM .
Intel lost me when I was alerted month after month of new exploits found within their processors that didn't exist on AMD processors. Only three of nine known CPU exploits have to be patched on the AMD Ryzen 3700X machine I built a year ago.

itlb_multihit:Not affected
l1tf:Not affected
mds:Not affected
meltdown:Not affected
spec_store_bypass:Mitigation:
spectre_v1:Mitigation:
spectre_v2:Mitigation:
srbds:Not affected
tsx_async_abort:Not affected

Quote:
This as "leaked" reports suggest a 22% performance boost over AMD Ryzen for the latest chips.
I would be more interested in seeing low cost, low consumption, high enough performance RISC chips from them. Both the big players have been caught with their pants down by Apple M1.
I had no problem with performance on the Intel i5 machine I was using as my DAW, but yet another "Intel Only" security flaw in the chip architecture was discovered. I decided it was time to build a new DAW and went AMD for the first time in about 40 machine builds. Likewise, Microsoft's tactics sent me to Linux.
Old 07-24-2021, 04:29 AM   #25
ivansc

You would think that after all these years MS would accept that whate4ver they come up with software or hardware-wise, some smart ass somewhere will find a way to circumvent the security system anyway.

The only thing that worries me now is if the mass exodus from windows to Linux will cause the naughty kids to start slashing into linux distros....
Old 07-24-2021, 05:01 AM   #26
Doc Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
You would think that after all these years MS would accept that whate4ver they come up with software or hardware-wise, some smart ass somewhere will find a way to circumvent the security system anyway.

The only thing that worries me now is if the mass exodus from windows to Linux will cause the naughty kids to start slashing into linux distros....
Thanks for the morning chuckle.
Doc Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 06:40 AM   #27
CDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
Thanks for the morning chuckle.
With all the talk about Microsoft, is there any benefits to reaper 6 running on windows 11?

Thanks for any response,

CDS
Old 07-26-2021, 10:52 AM   #28
norbury brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by themixtape View Post
And people always give me crap for preferring Windows 7. Problems like this, are always why! No OS is ever good until like more than 7 years into its development. I DESPISE Windows 10. And I'm forced to move to it in the future. Meh.
Windows 10 has been the best DAW OS I've ever used ...period...and i've used computers sonce Atari 1040 ST days. Run Macs, Windows, linux and i can honestly say windows 10 has been the best of the lot.

Windows 7 X64 was good at the time. OSX snow leopard was great too , at the time , but that was 10 years ago and things have moved on in so many ways.

I run a commercial studio , I need reliability/Stability and performance. I get this from windows 10 as my main OS.

M
Old 07-26-2021, 12:08 PM   #29
sostenuto

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
Windows 10 has been the best DAW OS I've ever used ...period...and i've used computers sonce Atari 1040 ST days. Run Macs, Windows, linux and i can honestly say windows 10 has been the best of the lot.

Windows 7 X64 was good at the time. OSX snow leopard was great too , at the time , but that was 10 years ago and things have moved on in so many ways.

I run a commercial studio , I need reliability/Stability and performance. I get this from windows 10 as my main OS.

M
Insider Preview since 8.1? Now Win11 Pro. All fine ... but far from understanding what major features/benefits are. Still unlearning/learning simplistic stuff __ Taskbar, Copy/Paste, Store Apps, Settings 'changes'. No big deal, old habits.
Main concern is potential Clean Win10 Pro Install, in Oct, if hardware not sufficient for Win11 Pro release.
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 03:29 PM   #30
Kypresso

Everyone seems to be acting like the sky is falling and win 10 will cease to work as soon as win 11 is released.

There's an official date for the End of Life for Microsoft Windows 10, and that date is October 14, 2025.

So everyone has 4 years to get ready for win 11.

Except me, i bought a Mac Mini M1 a couple of months ago and i'm blissfully in love.
Kypresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:23 AM   #31
Jae.Thomas

my four year old 8700k supports TPM 2.0

my 10 year old processor does not. I will try and install it on there, but I doubt that by the time I will be forced to, that I will still have that PC.
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 02:10 PM   #32
mgd2543

Default WIndows 11 Problems

Updated to Windows 11 yesterday. Opened a project that worked fine under Windows 10. Reaper now plays no sound and the timer is running at one second for every seven seconds of actual time, even though the playback rate is set to 1.0. Reinstall of both Reaper and Focusrite 2i2 USB driver did not help. Any Suggestions? Thanks. I also put this post on the specific Windows 11 thread; others seem to have no problems.

Last edited by mgd2543; 11-02-2021 at 05:34 AM.
mgd2543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 02:25 PM   #33
amagalma

Just installed it.. For the time being, I have not noticed any problems..
Old 11-01-2021, 04:32 PM   #34
vanceen

I'm using it. I've done a lot with Reaper since installing Windows 11, and haven't noted any issues at all.
vanceen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 01:54 AM   #35
somebodyelseuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgd2543 View Post
Updated to Windows 11 yesterday. Opened a project that worked fine under Windows 10. Reaper now plays no sound and the timer is running at one second for every seven seconds of actual time, even though the playback rate is set to 1.0. Reinstall of both Reaper and Focusrite 2i2 USB driver did not help. Any Suggestions? Thanks. I also put this post on the specific WIdnows 11 thread; others seem to have no problems.
Roll back to W10.

Rule of thumb, if you do anything more elaborate that weird-wide-web surfing, is wait at least six months before trying the new OS.
Windows always has issues and incompatibilities on release.
Old 11-02-2021, 10:58 AM   #36
norbury brook

windows 11 running perfectly on my Ryzen laptop here with reaper and a Steinberg UR22c interface.

M
Old 11-02-2021, 11:05 AM   #37
mgd2543

Default Problem solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgd2543 View Post
Updated to Windows 11 yesterday. Opened a project that worked fine under Windows 10. Reaper now plays no sound and the timer is running at one second for every seven seconds of actual time, even though the playback rate is set to 1.0. Reinstall of both Reaper and Focusrite 2i2 USB driver did not help. Any Suggestions? Thanks. I also put this post on the specific Windows 11 thread; others seem to have no problems.
Turns out that there were multiple versions of the Focusrite driver on my system. After taking steps recommended by Focusrite staff (note: be sure to view hidden devices in Device Manager), smooth sailing. Thanks for the comments.
mgd2543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 05:35 PM   #38
songshop

Default Memory leak

Win 11 has quite a memory leak here. I have to reboot to free up, otherwise all good.
songshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 06:28 PM   #39
Bribedant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodee View Post
Anyone tried it yet?
Ask me again in about 7-8 years. I just switched from win 7 to Win 10. Had to,
some drivers are just Win 10.
Bribedant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 06:58 PM   #40
sostenuto

(3) Desktop PC(s) still Cruisin' with Win11 Pro _ Reaper v6.40 (Insider Preview).

Nothing truly notable pro or con. Avoiding PITA Win10 Pro Clean Install soon;
when none of these 'qualify'.

Facing major hardware Updates early 2021 and will consider iOS first time ever.

Previous, quality home-builds_ rock solid, notable cost savings.
Current DAW performance builds _ iOS likely not so distasteful.

'Do me once; shame on MS' __ 'Do me twice; shame on ME'
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote