Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Video Editing/Mangling

Old 06-24-2011, 02:04 AM   #1
airon
Human being with feelings

Default Video Playback and Exporting

-update- 2021.01.06

The most up to date information on video playback and export is always available in

Video Playback with Reaper

The easiest thing to do is to install the Video Lan Client player. It will enable Reaper to play almost any video file out there.
  • VLC
    A free, open source player that Windows and MacOS users can download the latest version (v3.0.8 as of 7.11.2019) at this location.
    http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/

Get the version for your operating system.

MacOS users just grab and install the most recent version of VLC. Reaper will find it and use it for video playback by default. If not, check the Video preference page.

Windows users need to download the 32-bit version of VLC if they're using the 32-bit version of Reaper and the 64-bit version of VLC if they're using the 64-bit version of Reaper.

You can always check what Reaper is currently using to play a video by checking the Source Properties of the video item in either the context menu of the item, or via the default shortcut , which is CTRL+F2 on Windows.

Reaper can use different playback engines for different filetypes. Refer to the Section 20 of the manual on how to do this.

Video Playback & Export
Reaper comes with a small free FFMPEG library that can produce videos with free codecs, but you can add other codecs by downloading and installing one of the large FFMPEG libraries for your system (Windows or OSX, no idea about Linux yet).

Those downloadable libraries are not produced or maintained by Cockos and cannot be distibuted by Cockos with Reaper due to licensing restrictions.

The free FFMPEG library included with Reaper can encode the following formats :
  • AVI container
    • DV video codec (not recommended
    • FFV1 video codec (lossless)
    • Huffyuv video codec (lossless)
    • 16, 24 or 32-bit PCM audio
  • MKV container
    • FFV1 video codec (lossless)
    • Huffyuv video codec (lossless)
    • 16, 24 or 32-bit PCM audio

Exporing to non-free formats like H264 in MP4 containers
MP4 video files use AAC audio content. Many folkes use that when uploading to Youtube. Reapers video encoding speed is limited, unless you're using MacOS and the AVFoundation encoder.

For everyone else, it's easier to export to a free lossless format and then transcode that with the highly effective and fast free tool Handbrake.

Target format : MP4 container with H264 video and AAC audio

How to get there : Render lossless video and audio in Reaper and encode final MP4 with the free tool Handbrake.

Get Handbrake here for Windows or OSX : http://handbrake.fr
It comes with many encoding presets for devices and online video sites.

First, render your video with the following settings in Reaper :
MKV container, HUFFYUV video codec, 24 bit PCM audio
This will produce a rather large file. Check your video dimensions and frame rate before starting the render, so they match the source video in your timeline. The small arrow box on the right lets you pick various resolutions, frame rates or the resolution and frame rate of the source video.

Now use that resulting file as a source video in Handbrake, pick your preset and where Handbrake should save your video, and off you go.
Why go with the free codecs out of Reaper ?
Handbrake and other video encoding applications offer much better control over the target format. You produce an excellent source with Reaper and use the best video encoding applications to produce your desired results. You don't get that kind of control in Reaper(yet).
Replacing an audio track in a video
It is possible for most video formats.

For Quicktime, use the Quicktime Pro player.

MKV files, try the MKVtoolnix package.

MP4 files, try the MP4box frontend YAMB since it can demux and mux video and audio streams in to a new MP4 file.

In Reaper render the audio, perhaps encode it to AAC audio with Neros AAC encoder(Tips for Neros AAC Encoder) or ITunes for example and then use one of the tools above to remove the original soundtrack and add the new one.

This produces a video file without transcoding the video.

Stay tuned for news on this, and do not hesitate to post anything to this thread that YOU know about replacing soundtracks in videos.

Expand the encoding capabilities by installing a more complete FFMPEG library from an external source

Windows x86 and x64
FFMPEG libraries builds:

Visit https://ffmpeg.org/

Visit the Reaper Wiki page for more details on downloading and installing these libraries for the Windows version of Reaper.

https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.p...MPEG_libraries

For MacOS, you'll need to find compiled FFMPEG libraries yourself for now.

Once you have them, unpack and put the proper .dylib files into:
<home folder>/Library/Application Support/REAPER/UserPlugins
Reaper uses the system search path to locate the library as well.

(According to the wiki entry ( http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/Video_Support ) Reaper should pick it up from here or /usr/local/lib )

Note on OSX 10.7 and 10.8 from Schwa (one of the Reaper developers) :
OSX Lion(and Mountain Lion -ed) makes it much harder to access <username>/Library.

By default, that folder will not appear in the Finder.

The "official" way is to open the Finder, open the Go menu, then hold down the Option key.

Alternatively, open Applications/Utilities/Terminal and type "chflags nohidden ~/Library". This Lion behavior will cause all sorts of inconvenience for advanced REAPER users who are familiar with the REAPER inifiles.
Vide Format Conversion

TEncoder (Windows, open source, free)

Source: https://sourceforge.net/projects/tencoder/

Can convert most formats to almost any other. Preferred tool to produce Prores Proxy files. Does not require Quicktime to be installed.

MPEG Streamclip ( OSX and Windows , free )

Source: http://www.squared5.com

Can convert most formats to AVI, Quicktime, DV and MP4. Batch conversion, transform, frame rate conversion.
Preferred Containers and Codecs

Quicktime/MKV Prores Proxy(any source and frame size)

Quicktime MJPEG A(interlaced SD sources) / PhotoJPEG (progressive source of any frame size)

Quicktime H264 with no B-Frames works well too.
[/INDENT]

Last edited by airon; 01-06-2021 at 11:38 AM.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:07 AM   #2
matthias.matthias

good post. + 1 for making it sticky
matthias.matthias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:20 AM   #3
joaobgb

Regarding the ffmpeg 64bit new builds, I haven't been able to use them in Reaper even with all the files in the bin folder (Win7 x64 - Reaper v4beta10 x64), I've tested a few times with a different combination of files and nothing, although I've seen on other threads people reporting good results.

Last edited by joaobgb; 06-24-2011 at 08:41 AM.
joaobgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:36 AM   #4
skmando

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post

Reaper 32-bit (x86) - OSX
Note!!! This is not tested. Please contribute links and testing feedback to confirm a working FFMPEG build. Most of OSX playback needs are well covered with Quicktime anyway
Source : http://aegiscorp.free.fr/ffmpeg/ (UNTESTED!)
File to get: FFMPEG DLLs for OS X (updated 2010/05/14): ffmpeg-dylib-r23082-osx.zip. (Contains i386, x86_64 and PPC architectures).

Files to use from the archive(untested and unconfirmed!!!!):
FFmpeg.dylib
Where to place the files :
unkown to the author of this article as of yet.

Tried and tested for import on OS X on numerous formats, only ones that don't seem to want to import are .flv and .3gp files - the rest import no problems. I've not had chance to test for export.

Place FFmeg.dylib in same directory as your REAPER.app

See screenshot for example - my folder also includes libmp3lame.dylib for mp3 encoding

+1 for making this a sticky. Along with the lame mp3 codec and SWS extensions, this seems important info for REAPER newbies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screengrab.jpg (55.2 KB, 2971 views)
skmando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:19 AM   #5
musicbynumbers

Should be a sticky or wiki

Airon, did you ever find reaper slowly eating your memory when playing back h.264 files on reaper 32bit but win 7 64?
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:01 AM   #6
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Should be a sticky or wiki

Airon, did you ever find reaper slowly eating your memory when playing back h.264 files on reaper 32bit but win 7 64?
I actually have one such session right now. Let me check.

-edit-

First impression. Yes, the memory consumption steadily grows.

The video specs:
Code:
Length: 25:31.843
Video: 1920x1080@30.00fps, Aspect=1.00, Decoding format=YV12
Audio: 44100Hz 2ch 16bps

Using FFmpeg DLL decoder v52.61.0 (--enable-shared --disable-static --enable-memalign-hack --cross-prefix=i686-mingw32- --cc=ccache-i686-mingw32-gcc --arch=i686 --target-os=mingw32 --enable-runtime-cpudetect --enable-avisynth --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --enable-bzlib --enable-libgsm --enable-libfaad --enable-pthreads --enable-libvorbis --enable-libtheora --enable-libspeex --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libxvid --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libx264 --enable-libopencore_amrwb --enable-libopencore_amrnb)
Video: h264, yuv420p, 1920x1080 [PAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 6994 kb/s
Audio: aac, 44100 Hz, stereo, s16, 253 kb/s
It grows quite slowly. Will report back after the full video has played.

-edit-

Full video has played. RAM compsumption grew by 50 MB over the course of playback at a steady burst of a little here and some there. It was not entirely continous.

After a while of having stopped playback, RAM consumption fell by around 20 MB, and has so far remained steady.

Reinitiating playback has RAM usage jumping by an instant 10 MB, and a few seconds later by another 10 MB.

I started playback from the start and the RAM consumption is continuing to climb in the same fashion so far.

Last edited by airon; 06-28-2011 at 06:29 AM.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:44 PM   #7
BlackBart

A few of us are having issues using ProRes files. I get black screen in Win7-64 Reaper-X64. Someone else has reported the same thing on OSX 32 B11 and 12.

It's such a standard format now...needs Reaper attention.
thanks...BB
BlackBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:01 AM   #8
musicbynumbers

Thanks for testing Airon, this has been a pain for me. The short film I'm currently doing is only 15 mins long but I can barely get through it twice before running out on reaper 32bit but in win7 64bit.

I didn't want to so the 64bit because of plugins and hardware controllers and we can't firewall the video window.

Also the codecs I installed from your thread for the none ffmpeg decoding manage to steal the main outs on my lynx sound card so the front speakers don't work anymore so that's no go so far too

Hope it gets looked at as it use to work.

Quote:
I actually have one such session right now. Let me check.

-edit-

First impression. Yes, the memory consumption steadily grows.

The video specs:
Code:
Length: 25:31.843
Video: 1920x1080@30.00fps, Aspect=1.00, Decoding format=YV12

Using FFmpeg DLL decoder v52.61.0 (--enable-shared --disable-static --enable-memalign-hack --cross-prefix=i686-mingw32- --cc=ccache-i686-mingw32-gcc --arch=i686 --target-os=mingw32 --enable-runtime-cpudetect --enable-avisynth --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --enable-bzlib --enable-libgsm --enable-libfaad --enable-pthreads --enable-libvorbis --enable-libtheora --enable-libspeex --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libxvid --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libx264 --enable-libopencore_amrwb --enable-libopencore_amrnb)
Video: h264, yuv420p, 1920x1080 [PAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 6994 kb/s
Audio: aac, 44100 Hz, stereo, s16, 253 kb/s
It grows quite slowly. Will report back after the full video has played.

-edit-

Full video has played. RAM compsumption grew by 50 MB over the course of playback at a steady burst of a little here and some there. It was not entirely continous.

After a while of having stopped playback, RAM consumption fell by around 20 MB, and has so far remained steady.

Reinitiating playback has RAM usage jumping by an instant 10 MB, and a few seconds later by another 10 MB.

I started playback from the start and the RAM consumption is continuing to climb in the same fashion so far.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:25 PM   #9
airon

Friendly bump. Time to check this functionality again gents.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:33 AM   #10
Reaktor:[Dave]

Quote:
Reaper 64-bit (x64) - Windows,any 64-bit version
Source : Zeranoe FFMPEG 64-bit Shared builds
I cannot recommend using the zeranoe's builds, atm (v.4.10rc2). Playing a file usually works, but jumping to different positions often outputs a black screen.

There is another bug within Reapers video playback engine, which is struggling me for a long time now. Go to a certain frame, let's say frame 24 and start playback. You can cleary see that playback starts at frame 23. This should get fixed.
Reaktor:[Dave] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:02 AM   #11
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaktor:[Dave] View Post
I cannot recommend using the zeranoe's builds, atm (v.4.10rc2). Playing a file usually works, but jumping to different positions often outputs a black screen.

There is another bug within Reapers video playback engine, which is struggling me for a long time now. Go to a certain frame, let's say frame 24 and start playback. You can cleary see that playback starts at frame 23. This should get fixed.
Be sure to post this in the pre-release thread. I haven't worked with video in rc2 yet.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:10 AM   #12

I'll look into it for some details.

Last edited by Reaktor:[Dave]; 09-24-2011 at 07:15 AM.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:13 AM   #13

After examining the black video output issue, it's not the zeranoe build all alone. It was a rather complex situation in my project file, directly accessing the audio track of avi-files. I don't think it's worth to be explained detail.

From my experience you can safely use zeranoe's build with video files in quicktime motion jpeg format. Sorry for shooting out too fast on this one

Apart from that, it seems to be reproduceable that reaper while starting playback shows one frame before the actual starting point. I'm gonna post some info on that in "v4.10rc2 - September 23 2011".
Old 09-26-2011, 10:30 AM   #14
Riddler

Default Issue only appears on 64bit version

Hello again,

I now can view a .mov file encoded using the rather excellent DNxHD codec in REAPER, but it will only work on the 32bit version. I still get a black screen when using the 64bit version.

Can anyone suggest why this would be?

Cheers,
Tim.
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:01 AM   #15
spindlebox

This is ALL very confusing to me. I cannot figure out how to install the FFMPEG builds.

At the very top of this thread, I went to the x64 link given and tried that, but got a screen with a list of things that didn't appear to include .dll files.

SO-

I tried importing a WMV file into reaper and I get a dialog box that says "building peaks" and it just freezes and locks Reaper up.

I need some serious help here. I'm sorry for my ignorance in this area!!
Old 11-02-2011, 09:44 AM   #16
joaobgb

For Win x64 go here:
http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/win64/shared/ (this is the link in the first post)
- download the first 7z (7zip) file, it has 'latest' on the name
- open the file with 7zip or winrar or any other program that works
- open the bin folder and extract or drag the .dll files to the directory where you have reaper.exe (Usually this is "c:\program files\reaper\"). Don't copy the .exe files, there's no need for them.

Don't forget to install the K-Lite 64-bit codec pack (link in the first post), as Airon says, for all other format other than quicktime, OS decoding works better (to work with these codecs go to the "video/REX/Misc" tab in Preferences and check "Use OS video decoding instead of FFmpeg when possible").
I normally install both the x64 and x86 packs, this way you have all the codecs you may need for both 64 and 32 bit applications you might have on your computer.

Last edited by joaobgb; 11-02-2011 at 09:54 AM.
joaobgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:38 AM   #17
spindlebox

joaobgb

You rock!!! I got it working! Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much!!!
Old 11-03-2011, 12:12 AM   #18
boka

airon, thanks for the descriptions/instructions. They are really useful!
Old 11-03-2011, 06:03 AM   #19
delfine

Thanks for this thread.

I'd like to try using FFMPEG's "-vcodec copy" to preserve the original stream without encoding and cut down on render time. All clips are from the same camera and are the same size, encoding, framerate, etc.

Is it possible to set up a new FFMPEG profile for the render dialog in Reaper using custom commands?

Thanks for your help and suggestions.
delfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:17 AM   #20
emspace

Quote:
Where to place the files :
Reaper installation directory where you find the "reaper.exe" file. Usually this is "c:\program files\reaper\"(on 32-bit systems) or "c:\Program Files (x86)\REAPER" on 64-bit systems.
Question, shouldn't these be reversed?

"Program Files (x86)" should be for 32-bit applications.

Thanks for this guide, BTW!

Last edited by emspace; 11-13-2011 at 10:22 AM.
emspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:15 PM   #21

Reaper 32-bit will be installed to "c:\program files\reaper\" on a 32-bit system.
Reaper 64-bit will be installed to "c:\program files\reaper\" on a 64-bit system.
Thus, Reaper 32-bit will be installed to "c:\Program Files (x86)\REAPER" on a 64-bit system.

So airon is right. You're quoting the 32-bit reaper section.

P.S.: I think, Reaper's 64-bit installer standard path is "c:\program files\reaper (x64)\", though it shouldn't matter.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:56 PM   #22
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaktor:[Dave] View Post
Reaper 32-bit will be installed to "c:\program files\reaper\" on a 32-bit system.
Reaper 64-bit will be installed to "c:\program files\reaper\" on a 64-bit system.
Thus, Reaper 32-bit will be installed to "c:\Program Files (x86)\REAPER" on a 64-bit system.

So airon is right. You're quoting the 32-bit reaper section.

P.S.: I think, Reaper's 64-bit installer standard path is "c:\program files\reaper (x64)\", though it shouldn't matter.
Heh heh, not that it's that important but on my Win7 comp 32 bit is under C>Program Files (x86) and 64 bit is C>Program Files.

Also, if you do a portable install you have to direct the install to the appropriate program folder. I'm not sure about the non-portable one.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:59 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Heh heh, not that it's that important but on my Win7 comp 32 bit is under C>Program Files (x86) and 64 bit is C>Program Files.
That's how it's supposed to be.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:08 PM   #24
kidz biz

thanks for this easy to follow guide.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:34 AM   #25
Mwhlr

Hi there!

I’ve been using Reaper for quite a while now for audio post production, but have very rarely had to render a video. Now, I have a video I want to use as part of a portfolio, but I’m running into issues. I am using Reaper 32-bit and the Zeranoe FFMpeg build specified for this version in the initial post.

Whenever I try to render out my video, I get black flickers randomly throughout. These occur every couple of seconds. I have tried every format and codec available, but I have no luck – the black flickers always appear and are always in the same place. These flickers are not present when the video is played before rendering or outwith Reaper.

I have been using a compressed, low quality version of the video to do my audio-post. This video ran very well, even with a large number of tracks and effects present in the project. Rendering out this low quality version of the video isn’t an issue. There are never any flickers.

The source properties for the compressed, low quality version:

Length: 2:56.300
Video: 640x360@30.00fps, Aspect=1.00, Decoding format=RGB

Using FFmpeg DLL decoder v53.16.0 (--disable-static --enable-shared --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --enable-runtime-cpudetect --enable-avisynth --enable-bzlib --enable-frei0r --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libfreetype --enable-libgsm --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-librtmp --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libspeex --enable-libtheora --enable-libvo-aacenc --enable-libvo-amrwbenc --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libx264 --enable-libxavs --enable-libxvid --enable-zlib)

Video: mjpeg (mjpa / 0x61706A6D), yuvj422p, 640x360 [SAR 72:72 DAR 16:9], 9793 kb/s
Audio: pcm_s16be (twos / 0x736F7774), 44100 Hz, 2 channels, s16, 1411 kb/s

Once I had completed my soundtrack, I rendered it as a single stereo wav file (44.1KHz 16-Bit) and imported this into a clean project with the original quality version of the video. This video, in contrast, does not run well in the editor, even in such a simple project. When playing the video, it stutters and sometimes isn’t as smooth as it should be. The CPU load is around 25 – 30%. There are no black lines however.

The source properties of the high quality video:

Length: 2:56.300
Video: 1280x720@30.00fps, Aspect=1.00, Decoding format=YV12

Using FFmpeg DLL decoder v53.16.0 (--disable-static --enable-shared --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --enable-runtime-cpudetect --enable-avisynth --enable-bzlib --enable-frei0r --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libfreetype --enable-libgsm --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-librtmp --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libspeex --enable-libtheora --enable-libvo-aacenc --enable-libvo-amrwbenc --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libx264 --enable-libxavs --enable-libxvid --enable-zlib)

Video: h264 (High) (avc1 / 0x31637661), yuv420p, 1280x720, 1890 kb/s
Audio: aac (mp4a / 0x6134706D), 44100 Hz, stereo, s16, 151 kb/s

Any thoughts? I can only think that it has something to do with how badly Reaper handles this video within the editor, but surely that wouldn’t matter during a render, as the software doesn’t have to do it in real time?

My system specs are as follows:

Windows 7 professional 64-bit
2x Dual-Core AMD Opteron Processor 2220 (Hyper Threaded - 8 logical Cores) ~ 2.8 GHz

16GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6870

Any help would be appreciated!
Mwhlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:48 AM   #26
airon

What are you trying to render it to, and what is the target application for the video you want to make ?
Old 04-30-2012, 08:23 AM   #27
Mwhlr

Quote:
What are you trying to render it to, and what is the target application for the video you want to make ?
Hey there - Not quite sure if I got the gist of your questions, so I'll just answer in as many ways as I can:

At the moment, I'm just trying to find a format that will work proper once rendered, but I would like to render the video in a format that will retain its quality, with minimal or no compression. The original format was mp4, so ideally, I suppose that is what I'd like to render it out as.

If you mean what are the files actually being rendered to, it's just my internal HD.

As for the application of the video, it is going to be uploaded to a video hosting site such as Vimeo and then embedded on my personal website as a portfolio piece.

If I have completely missed the point of your questions, I apologize. :P
Old 04-30-2012, 10:36 AM   #28
airon

That's what I needed to know.

The target format that makes the most sense, since every video site you upload it to is going to transcode your video anyway is :

MKV container
H264 codec with a very high bitrate (10MBit+ with HD content)
16-bit PCM audio

That format works. It uploads to Youtube just fine and has for years. You should do a test upload to Vimeo.

Oh and btw, redownload your video from those video sites and check for sync. Youtube ALWAYS adds delay to the sound because of their encoder or something. It is then a good idea to shift the mix of your audio by the appropriate number of samples, for which Reaper is perfect yet again.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:58 AM   #29
hopi

update and ...

Quote:
Using the FFMPEG libraries, instead of OS decoding (Preferences/Video), everything works just fine.
airon wrote that several posts back to the user having 64 QT problems...

Well, I have now gotten my HD mp4 files to play perfectly in 32 reaper on XP OS...

They work great with the updated ffmeg codecs that one can find from the page that is linked in airon's signature...

So the problem I was having was solved by changing the setting in reaper pref's... so reaper does NOT try to use OS system codecs...
With that box unchecked, I don't need any conversions [thank heaven since they take forever and make way too big files]

Clearly, when it does try to do that, it uses one of the QT codecs and just as clearly, they SUCK! They produce the black windows and jerks and other nonsense... similar to what the user with the 64 bit problems has stated. [similar but not completely the same]

Anyway... I am very happy to see the video I need working smoothly now. I give thanks to airon for all the help.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:42 AM   #30
Mwhlr

Quote:
That's what I needed to know
MKV container
H264 codec with a very high bitrate (10MBit+ with HD content)
16-bit PCM audio

That format works. It uploads to Youtube just fine and has for years. You should do a test upload to Vimeo.
Hey there! Thank you very much for your response. Sadly, no dice - The videos are still rendering with black flickers, all at the exact same points. I've tried WMP and VLC to see if this was a player issue, but it isn't. I'm going to assume that it's something about the video itself? But it doesn't have any sort of flicker before render, so I honestly don't know.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #31
MJFarmermac

Default HELP!!! WTF!?!? Love Reaper, HATE its video

OK. I have a pretty robust machine (core i7 with 16 gigs of RAM) so I know that's not the problem, but I have NEVER been able to get Reaper's video to work properly. I usually get vids from clients that are MP4's or Quicktimes. Usually, I just get a black screen, occasionally, I get video that's upside down- hunh? So I was just trying to watch a vid that a client gave me and again, I'm getting nothing but a black screen, so I thought I'd try to download the latest FFMPEG shared build and see if that worked. So I did, unzipped it- the three files in the BIN folder were like 10-18 Megs each, whereas the ones actually in the Reaper folder initially were like 300 KB. OK that's weird, so I put the old ones in my recycle bin and put the new ones in my reaper folder. Now Reaper crashes every time I try to import a video. Crap! So I pull the old ones back out of the recycle bin and put them back in the reaper folder. Still crashes when I import a video file. Now I'm in trouble! What the hell is going on? For those of you who are good with this stuff, it's probably obvious that I don't understand ffmpeg or how it works, but that's part of the problem- I just want video that plays- it doesn't seem like that should require such a monumental effort and so many headaches! Someone please help!
Old 05-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #32
airon

Following the first post of this thread didn't help ?

It is Windows you're using, right ?
Old 05-12-2012, 08:20 PM   #33
MJFarmermac

Yeah I followed the first thread- that's what led me to try to install the latest ffmpeg version. I'm on windows 7 64 bit. I'm afraid I can't load my sessions that have vid tracks on them now since it crashes reaper. I tried reinstallIng latest version to no avail. Thought maybe I could try installIng an older version and then reinstall newest version. I accidentally double-Clicked the ffmpeg application- saw a brief flash of dos cmd line- don't know if that screwed something up? Does frmpeg look for folders in the reaper folder? I still have the unzipped latest version folder in there, but the files from the bin folder are outside the folder. It seems like I need a way to get reaper to re-find fffmpeg? Thanks on advance for any help. I'm kinda screwed if I don't get this running by tomorrow afternoon.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:28 AM   #34
airon

Not the latest version. That has some API changes that Reaper has yet to support. Damn, it's an oversight on my part that I didn't put this in to the 64-bit version description as well. Now corrected. I'm sorry for the loss of time.

http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/win...in64-shared.7z

That's the one that works. There might be newer ones, but this works(I use it).

Place the DLL files from the BIN directory alongside the Reaper.exe. Check the video preferences to make sure it's not using OS decoding, and you should be good to go.

Your program directory should look like this:

Remember that transcoding is sometimes necessary, though rarely for MP4 and most Quicktime files. Prores though, that's another story.

Last edited by airon; 05-13-2012 at 03:37 AM.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #35
MJFarmermac

Default Still no dice!

I installed the ffmpeg that you suggested. My reaper folder now looks like yours. Still crashes. It will load my projects, however, if I check "use OS video decoding"- so it's ffmpeg that's crashing the program. I don't know if one of the incorrect versions that I put in Reaper's folder earlier is hanging it up or what. I think the first time I copied stuff there, I copied all the files in the bin folder- including the ffmpeg, ffplay, ffprobe, and avconv "applications" into the Reaper directory. I'm assuming from your instructions that I shouldn't have done this- only the dll's right? Would that cause this behavior? Is there a quick way (i.e. deleting or moving a configuration file or folder) to get Reaper to re-look up its ffmpeg dll's? Is it looking for the old ones, or looking in the wrong place? I didn't install Reaper on my C: drive (it's a SSD with pretty much just Windows on it) It's installed on my F: drive which is two 2TB drives in RAID 1. I placed the ffmpeg files in the Reaper install directory on my F: drive. This shouldn't make any difference should it? I posted more exact system specs in my signature if that helps.

I'm wondering if I should do a complete reinstall- ugh! Thanks again for your help.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:59 PM   #36
airon

You can easily backup your configuration with the IMPORT EXPORT buttons in the General preferences.

And you can test portable installations for alternative configurations without disrupting your original installation. You can import your exported configuration file in to the portable installation.

I don't know if it's possible to muck up a Reaper installation by dumping all the contents of the BIN directory of the FFMPEG libraries in to the program directory.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:36 PM   #37
MJFarmermac

Well, something has definitely gone very wrong. I've tried converting these files to avi via QuickTime pro, mp4, which they ready are? And mpeg2 and wmv Via vlc player- Absolutely NOTHING gives me anything but a blank screen. Furthermore I now have a wmv file that I can't delete that I converted via vlc player. This is absolutely infuriating! I have a badass machine and a relatively badass video card and I can't watch video at all in reaper. I just uninstalled and reinstalled reaper. After reinstall I unchecked "use os..." and importing a vid didn't cause crash- still had only black screen, but no crash. After importing ffmpeg dll's (from the set u recommended) now reaped crashes when I import a vid file! WTF! Am I the only person on earth this is happening to? I really can't think of anything else to try. This is really the first time that I truly feel like the problem is reaper and not my own ignorance. Help please!
Old 05-13-2012, 03:44 PM   #38
airon

What does your program directory look like ?

Perhaps a command promot and
Code:
dir *.* >blahblah.txt
Are you installing the 64-bit version of Reaper(doesn't hurt to check) ?

What kind of codec are the Quicktime files using ?

All this is just rechecking everything. Oh yeah, what version of Reaper are you using ?

Last edited by airon; 05-13-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:25 PM   #39
MJFarmermac

Below is my program directory (F:Program Files/Reaper) I originally didn't have the .exe files from the bin folder in here after reinstalling reaper, but since the last time I was actually able to see any video of any kind in Reaper those files were in there, I decided to try putting them in again to see if they would work.
Here's my install directory:

avcodec-53.dll
avconv.exe
avdevice-53.dll
avfilter-2.dll
avformat-53.dll
avutil-51.dll
Docs
ffmpeg.exe
ffplay.exe
ffprobe.exe
InstallData
license.txt
list.txt
Plugins
postproc-51.dll
reamote.exe
reaper.exe
reaper-install.ini
REAPERReWireDev.dll
reaper-to-usb.bat
swresample-0.dll
swscale-2.dll
tips.txt
Uninstall.exe
whatsnew.txt

I've just upgraded my graphics card driver, and done a system restore to two days ago- I actually haven't used the vid in awhile so there could be a windows update conflict, but I'm not going back thru every system restore over the last couple of months. Yes, I'm installing 64 bit Reaper, version 4.22, but I am a little sleep deprived so I double checked. Looking at source properties of the vid file (which I can only do if I'm using OS, not FFMPEG, as it crashes) it's showing the following:

Video: 960x540@29.97fps, Aspect=1.00, Decoding format=YUY2
Audio: 48000Hz 2ch 16bps

Using Quicktime decoder (bridged)

Thanks again for all of your help! You rock. Don't know how I could repay you, but let me know if you think of something!
Old 07-29-2012, 07:02 AM   #40
airon

Good news.

Reaper v4.26 will be supporting the newest FFMPEG builds from
I'll update the first post as soon as v4.26 is out. Until then you can grab the latest pre-release via the Pre-Release forum section and the FFMPEG build of your choice.