Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 05-04-2022, 07:11 PM   #1
sangyongmin
Human being with feelings

Default play buffering on mac studio with Monterey os

I have recently upgraded from intel iMac to Mac studio with Monterey on.
There has been quite few issues since then but, I believe, mostly 3rd party plugin related, which I have solved by re-installing or using Beige mode.

One issues remains to bug me though.. when I open large-ish project (50+ tracks with fair amount of plugins which, CPU load shows only 3.4% though) it doesn't play, if I change Audio Device(UAD) buffer size on reaper preference, it plays. so every morning I am switching from 512 to 1024 back and again.

Any advice will be appreciated!!
sangyongmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 03:46 AM   #2
Kewl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangyongmin View Post
if I change Audio Device(UAD) buffer size on reaper preference, it plays. so every morning I am switching from 512 to 1024 back and again. Any advice will be appreciated!!
Have you the latest driver for your audio interface? Is it Apple Silicon native?

Also, and maybe some will disagree with me, but, if you're not recording, why use a small(ish) buffer size? If 2048 and even 4096 is available, that's what I use. It allows for more CPU-intensive plug-ins.

If I'm recording, I'll use 32 or 64, but for editing and mixing, it's always the big buffers for me...
Kewl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 04:32 AM   #3
sangyongmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewl View Post
Have you the latest driver for your audio interface? Is it Apple Silicon native?

Also, and maybe some will disagree with me, but, if you're not recording, why use a small(ish) buffer size? If 2048 and even 4096 is available, that's what I use. It allows for more CPU-intensive plug-ins.

If I'm recording, I'll use 32 or 64, but for editing and mixing, it's always the big buffers for me...
Hi, Kewl
Thanks for chipping in.

Yes, I have latest UAD software for M1 and in terms of buffer size I prefer to stay in the middle ground since I switch between recording and mixing on a dairy bases, and this setting never failed me on both occasions for nearly 10 years on reaper.
sangyongmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 05:37 PM   #4
Faderjockey

Been having same issue on my Mac Studio running several UAD devices and they still aren't M1 ready..
But when changing buffer doesn't work I sometimes have to just switch from Apollos in internal mac speakers hit apply and then switch back.

I had a session with 127 plugs that's running maybe 16 to 18% on the Mac.. but sometimes out of no where you change something can be just adding a plugin or I've had it happen bypassing a plug or drawing automation.. those things have triggered the Reaper CPU flying up into the Red and you hit the spacebar and Reaper won't play.. I'd I'm like oh not again.. go to performance meter and it's showing CPU maxed when it's not and then I do the toggle buffer or driver settings.

But mostly happens when opening sessions or switch from one song to another.
Faderjockey is offline   Reply With Quote