Old 06-16-2014, 02:15 PM   #1
Ace_Diamond
Human being with feelings

Default Custom theme for my business

Hi, I am looking for someone to me me a theme. with a custom graphic layout and macro/shortcuts.

I can pay a little up front and 20% on the back end (As I plan on selling it).
Ace_Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:19 PM   #2
Doc Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_Diamond View Post
Hi, I am looking for someone to me me a theme. with a custom graphic layout and macro/shortcuts.

I can pay a little up front and 20% on the back end (As I plan on selling it).

Huh? Am I missing something?
Doc Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:25 PM   #3
DarkStar

I presume that he means 20% on each onward sale.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:22 AM   #4
Teksonik

Why wouldn't the person doing the work and creating the Theme just sell it themselves and keep 100% of the proceeds ?
Teksonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:26 PM   #5
pattste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teksonik View Post
Why wouldn't the person doing the work and creating the Theme just sell it themselves and keep 100% of the proceeds ?
Because then they wouldn't get whatever the OP is willing to pay upfront, however little that is. Realistically, selling REAPER themes probably won't work too well so getting any money upfront would actually be the better deal!
pattste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:33 PM   #6
Quest The Wordsmith

All I know is, if Albert finishes Solaris SSL, I'll pay. Hell, I'd pay anyone to finish that...
Old 06-18-2014, 12:55 AM   #7
vidalsh

I would never buy a theme...

there are tons in the stash and I´ve my own theme...

but reaper needs a new and pro theme that identifique reaper in front of others DAW´s...

there are tons of versions of other DAW´s themes in the stash...

Justin should contrate a true equipe of proffesionals than creates an unique reaper theme that identifique reaper at first view...

walter neeeds more development, still too complex and some lacks...I guess
vidalsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 02:45 AM   #8
DarkStar

If Ace could give some idea of what he is looking for then there may be more response, especially as this is his second thread on the same subject.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:35 AM   #9
Teksonik

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattste View Post
Because then they wouldn't get whatever the OP is willing to pay upfront, however little that is. Realistically, selling REAPER themes probably won't work too well so getting any money upfront would actually be the better deal!
Ok so why would anybody take a little upfront when they could have it all in the end ? Obviously if someone has the talent to theme they already have the graphics software to do the job and if they are reading here most likely already own Reaper so there is no start up cost so I can't see anyone doing all the work for %20 of the proceeds....but maybe he will find a sucker errrr I mean willing participant.........:lol:
Old 06-18-2014, 04:40 AM   #10
Teksonik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest The Wordsmith View Post
All I know is, if Albert finishes Solaris SSL, I'll pay. Hell, I'd pay anyone to finish that...
This. Exactly. I have donated for the Pro Tools theme and have offered on many occasions to pay for a finished Solaris theme.

People sell presets for synths and samples so selling Themes and Skins should not be that strange of a concept. All take talent, skill and effort. One could argue that creating a Reaper Theme from scratch including Walter code is every bit as demanding as creating sample sets.......
Old 06-18-2014, 06:55 AM   #11
karbomusic

Quote:
Ok so why would anybody take a little upfront when they could have it all in the end ? Obviously if someone has the talent to theme they already have the graphics software to do the job and if they are reading here most likely already own Reaper so there is no start up cost so I can't see anyone doing all the work for %20 of the proceeds....but maybe he will find a sucker errrr I mean willing participant.........:lol:
Because the vast majority of artistically talented people are exactly the opposite in business matters LOL. In many, many successful ventures there is someone creating and someone else selling the creation. Even if both are good at business someone needs to do the selling to free up time for the one doing the creating.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:59 PM   #12
Teksonik

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Even if both are good at business someone needs to do the selling to free up time for the one doing the creating.
And you think that should earn them an 80% share of the proceeds ? Remind me to never do business with you........

Albert seems to be handling the creation of his themes and donation collections as well without any help............
Old 06-18-2014, 07:22 PM   #13
pattste

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidalsh View Post
Justin should contrate a true equipe of proffesionals than creates an unique reaper theme that identifique reaper at first view...
If I remember correctly this is exactly how the default Reaper 4 theme came about. I have never liked it at all personally. I'm not against a new default theme being created for Reaper 5 but the main issue is with the parts of Reaper that cannot be themed, like the godawful FX window and dialogs.
pattste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:17 AM   #14
ivansc

I hope I am not mis-interpreting the original poster, but from reading his post it would appear that he is saying "I have no talent for design and layout of custom themes but I think I can sell one. Would someone spend a load of time making a custom theme according to my idea of how it should work and what it should look like, then I will pay them a small amount up front and a 20% royalty on future sales"

Personally, I wouldnt touch this even with YOUR ten foot pole, let alone mine.
A sure recipe for at the very least arguments over payments, assuming it ever got off the ground.
Why are people always seeking to monetise reaper stuff when the majority is given freely or at very low cost?
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:02 AM   #15
cincikat69

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
I hope I am not mis-interpreting the original poster, but from reading his post it would appear that he is saying "I have no talent for design and layout of custom themes but I think I can sell one. Would someone spend a load of time making a custom theme according to my idea of how it should work and what it should look like, then I will pay them a small amount up front and a 20% royalty on future sales"

Personally, I wouldnt touch this even with YOUR ten foot pole, let alone mine.
A sure recipe for at the very least arguments over payments, assuming it ever got off the ground.
Why are people always seeking to monetise reaper stuff when the majority is given freely or at very low cost?

That sums up the situation very well...

I responded to his first thread about this, and at first it was just about paying someone to have it done. What he's wanting done would take AT LEAST a couple months (but probably more) of dedicated time. Then when the cost of that came up the deal changed a couple of times, becoming less and less money, and then becoming this offer. And it wasn't stated right away that he would be trying to sell it.

The way he's wanting to go about it is simply not realistic. There is no guarantee that he will be able to make his plan work. And how would the actual sales percentage amount due to the creator (myself or whoever) be verified? The implication is that we would just have to trust him to be honest about that...yeah, ok.

So it would be a LOT of work with no guarantee of making the money for it...unless it's upfront. I am willing to do it, but certainly not naive enough to do it this way.

Last edited by cincikat69; 06-19-2014 at 09:18 AM.
cincikat69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:07 AM   #16
The Buddha Rats

Artists are always the one group that "business" people like to F in the A. 20% for doing 100% of the work? Are you joking? The OP should be banned on the basis that he's nothing more than a lowly middleman looking to exploit talent. Man up and do the work yourself or go home pal.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:18 AM   #17
Andy Hamm

I would assume that the op is selling Reaper in some sort of turnkey solution and the theme is just a part of that package.
Andy Hamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:07 AM   #18
karbomusic

Quote:
And you think that should earn them an 80% share of the proceeds ? Remind me to never do business with you........

Albert seems to be handling the creation of his themes and donation collections as well without any help............
I didn't say any of ^that so I still stand behind what I did say. If you want to be the artist and the businessman AND you can be successful at it, I think you should do exactly that but that is far from true for the majority. If you want to give it away, great idea. I don't really care what the OP intended or the terms, I merely explained a possible reasoning that someone might be the seller for someone who is the creator. They would both make more money if the creator spends his time creating. If you only want to support free, no problem, don't buy anything.

Last edited by karbomusic; 06-19-2014 at 11:42 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:16 AM   #19
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Hamm View Post
I would assume that the op is selling Reaper in some sort of turnkey solution and the theme is just a part of that package.
Probably or something similar. With 4 posts, I see it as a impulse post anyway. However and slightly off topic, it makes me chuckle to see "I only get 20%, screw those bastards" never considering 20% of what LOL. Hypothetically they could have spent a few weeks on a theme and received 20% of $100,000.00 but would rather complain they didn't get 80k which is 80k that would never have existed if the hypothetical evil business person never came knocking. That sort of proves my original point that we "artistes" aren't typically good at business matters; we get way too caught up in the emotional; that's great for creating great art but terrible in financial decisions.

Last edited by karbomusic; 06-19-2014 at 11:43 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:03 PM   #20
The Buddha Rats

Quote:
Probably or something similar. With 4 posts, I see it as a impulse post anyway. However and slightly off topic, it makes me chuckle to see "I only get 20%, screw those bastards" never considering 20% of what LOL. Hypothetically they could have spent a few weeks on a theme and received 20% of $100,000.00 but would rather complain they didn't get 80k which is 80k that would never have existed if the hypothetical evil business person never came knocking. That sort of proves my original point that we "artistes" aren't typically good at business matters; we get way too caught up in the emotional; that's great for creating great art but terrible in financial decisions.
I've been a graphic designer for nearly 20 years. I've made my living servicing small start-ups on up to Fortune 500 companies. True, most of us here, myself included, scoffed at the 20% without knowing the particulars, but lets face it- the terms "felt" a bit foul and who wants to waste valuable time dealing with that?
Old 06-19-2014, 02:09 PM   #21
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Buddha Rats View Post
I've been a graphic designer for nearly 20 years. I've made my living servicing small start-ups on up to Fortune 500 companies. True, most of us here, myself included, scoffed at the 20% without knowing the particulars, but lets face it- the terms "felt" a bit foul and who wants to waste valuable time dealing with that?
Thanks for noticing what I was trying to get across; much appreciated. I don't know the rest of the answer though, the title of the post is "for my business" and there are lots of important details missing. It's possible the OP simply doesn't know how to accomplish what they want and all terms, until accepted, should be considered negotiable. I just thought the lambasting was a little extreme (not by you per se) but as I mentioned, it's likely an impulse post and we may never hear from them again.

Let me add, I've been the person I'm describing, it's not like I didn't do the exact same lambasting in my past but I'm much better now.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:28 PM   #22
cincikat69

I do know most of the details and "particulars"...and negotiating doesn't seem to be much of an option.

As it stands now, it's really not worth it.

Last edited by cincikat69; 06-19-2014 at 02:57 PM.
cincikat69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:19 PM   #23
Teksonik

Quote:
I didn't say any of ^that so I still stand behind what I did say.
Yes you did...not in so many words but by inference....

Quote:
Because the vast majority of artistically talented people are exactly the opposite in business matters
Really ? Vast majority ? You have any stats to back that up or are you just pulling stuff out of your.......

There are many small developers who are both artistically talented and successfully running the business side as well....Uhe, Synapse, Rob Lee, Xenos, Blue Cat, and on and on and on.....

So if you're going to once again by inference defend the offer of the OP you'll once again be rebuffed by the simple logic that his deal is not fair...
Old 06-19-2014, 06:24 PM   #24
Teksonik

Quote:
never considering 20% of what. Hypothetically they could have spent a few weeks on a theme and received 20% of $100,000.00
Or they could have spent the same time and received 100% of the 100,000.....pretty simple concept really....or at least one would think.

So once again you think the OP should have gotten $800,000 as his share of the deal ? Once again I'm glad I'll never do business with you.......