Old 03-04-2023, 10:19 AM   #1
michael diemer
Human being with feelings

Default Clonezilla Is Amazing.

I just cloned my 250GB SSD to a 500 GB SSD, so I have more space. I was a bit nervous, even though I've used clonezilla many times, and never had any disasters. sometimes it didn't work, but that was almost certainly user error.

along with the new drive and a sata cable, I ordered a convertor, so my two SSDs can be secured. It took me an hour to figure out how to install the adapter in my computer. To clone the disk? Seven minutes.

Once you figure out how to use it, this (free) software is truly remarkable. nothing else quite like it. It works with Linux, Windows and OSX, probably BSD as well. It's very safe and extremely fast. If you haven't tried it, you should!
Old 03-04-2023, 12:01 PM   #2
Glennbo

I've used Clonezilla a few times now. Once to move my wife's Xubuntu from HDD to SDD. Once to move Manjaro from my DAW's SSD to a new NVMe, and once to move Xubuntu from my MythTV server's HDD to a new SSD.

It worked perfectly each time, and took less than 20 minutes to clone the drives. I'm also a fan of DejaDup now after having put my DAW back together after a grub issue. A virgin install of Manjaro, followed by loading my DejaDup backup had my DAW back with all the Windows plugins still functioning in less than 30 minutes.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 02:40 PM   #3
krahosk

Clonezilla was a bit too obscure in its onscreen instructions for me. Instead, I use a live usb drive to boot Gnome. When booted, I start Gnome Disk and write a disk image of my main drive.
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 02:54 PM   #4
michael diemer

Glennbo, my SSD had only 120GB, so the 7 minute clone time is perhaps not too surprising. but I/m sure your drives are quite a bit heftier (I only do midi), so the 20 minute time is impressive.

Krahosk, I know what you mean about Clonezilla's text-based instructions. I was afraid to use it until I did several dry runs. Part of that is their rather scary warnings, and asking you twice if you really want to proceed. but if it helps you avoid disasters (which it probably does in my case), so be it. I've heard of people using Gnome disks to do it, maybe I'll check that out. Although I'm using the cinnamon desktop, I installed that program in order to easily mount drives.
Old 03-05-2023, 01:25 PM   #5
krahosk

I'd rather use Clonezilla, though. it's faster to run from a usb key than my method. Any tutorial recommendation for use in Linux?

I found this. I think I will look at it and try but I remember the WARNING! indications making me scared :-)
https://support.signagelive.com/hc/e...a-Device-Image

Last edited by krahosk; 03-05-2023 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-08-2023, 02:37 AM   #6
/AND/

Quote:
Originally Posted by krahosk View Post
Clonezilla was a bit too obscure in its onscreen instructions for me. Instead, I use a live usb drive to boot Gnome. When booted, I start Gnome Disk and write a disk image of my main drive.
The question is, what does it do with the rest of the unused space e.g. when copying a 250 GB disk to a 500 GB one? Does it leave unformatted, or does it take it all as free space?
/AND/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 11:50 AM   #7
michael diemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by /AND/ View Post
The question is, what does it do with the rest of the unused space e.g. when copying a 250 GB disk to a 500 GB one? Does it leave unformatted, or does it take it all as free space?
My "disks" utility shows it at 250GB used and 250GB free, so there is 250GB free space. It lists it as unallocated.
Old 03-08-2023, 02:21 PM   #8
Klinge

For Clonezilla with GUI you can try Rescuezilla.
Klinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 02:39 PM   #9
Fergler

I like Timeshift for Linux backup, works as flawlessly as Time Machine and saves space for sequential backups.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 04:39 PM   #10
krahosk

Yeah, but Timeshift, like DejàDup are restoring utilities and might not be useful in disk failure.
Old 03-10-2023, 05:06 PM   #11
Glennbo

Quote:
Yeah, but Timeshift, like DejàDup are restoring utilities and might not be useful in disk failure.
I recently had Manjaro get hosed after a failed install of kcalc.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....hlight=dejadup

So I installed a fresh copy of Manjaro, then restored a DejaDup copy of my home folder that I had made one day earlier. All my Windows plugins running in WINE instantly worked again, as did all my native Linux plugins.

Had the entire drive failed, I would have been able to install a new drive, do the same procedure and be back up and running in short order.
Old 03-11-2023, 01:00 PM   #12
krahosk

That would be nice but I having a bit concern on what you said in the post about DéjàDup:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post

1. Almost everything works again, but some things needed to be installed again.
Old 03-11-2023, 02:13 PM   #13
Glennbo

Quote:
That would be nice but I having a bit concern on what you said in the post about DéjàDup:
I had the system back up and running within an hour, and only had little stuff to mess with from that point, like reinstalling Surge, Qsampler, JACK, and Guitarix from the repository, all of which then used their settings from the home folder I restored.

For instance, I didn't have to set qjackctl back up. I only needed to install it from the repository, and it instantly had the correct audio device, sample rate, bit depth, number of periods, Etc., because it was loading those settings from config files that were restored in my home folder.
Old 03-11-2023, 06:14 PM   #14
krahosk

Default Rescuezilla

I found this tonight:

"Yes, Rescuezilla is the Clonezilla GUI (graphical user interface) that you might have been looking for."

https://rescuezilla.com/
Old 03-11-2023, 06:54 PM   #15
akademie

Quote:
I found this tonight:

"Yes, Rescuezilla is the Clonezilla GUI (graphical user interface) that you might have been looking for."

It was mentioned and recommended already by Klinge in post #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinge View Post
For Clonezilla with GUI you can try Rescuezilla.
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 07:43 PM   #16
Glennbo

Quote:
I found this tonight:

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
A GUI version of Clonezilla will likely still ask the sooper skeery questions. Like what is the source device, and what is the target device.

In addition to DejaDup backups of home folders, I also keep a Clonezilla copy of a MythTV server that runs 24/7 in the studio closet. That machine has a lot of setup outside the home folder, and I've once needed to restore the image. I use the non-graphical version of Clonezilla, and it's not that intimidating. You just need to be absolutely sure of the device or partition names when using it.
Old 03-12-2023, 04:48 AM   #17
krahosk

Quote:
I had the system back up and running within an hour, and only had little stuff to mess with from that point, like reinstalling Surge, Qsampler, JACK, and Guitarix from the repository, all of which then used their settings from the home folder I restored.

For instance, I didn't have to set qjackctl back up. I only needed to install it from the repository, and it instantly had the correct audio device, sample rate, bit depth, number of periods, Etc., because it was loading those settings from config files that were restored in my home folder.
Thank you, Glennbo. The thing that worries me are all the software from the repositories too (office suite, graphic utilities, plugins on browsers, VPN, Musescore Hub, etc).
Do we have to configure Pipewire again?
And the Reapack plugins and Yabrige VSTs?
I guess that if you didn't mention it, it's OK.
Old 03-12-2023, 04:49 AM   #18
krahosk

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
Thank you , I missed hat one!
Old 03-12-2023, 10:02 AM   #19
Glennbo

Quote:
Thank you, Glennbo. The thing that worries me are all the software from the repositories too (office suite, graphic utilities, plugins on browsers, VPN, Musescore Hub, etc).
After restoring my home folder with DejaDup, Firefox with all the plugins I use was back, Thunderbird with all its account settings and mail history was back, all the plugins in my .lv2, .vst, and .vst3 folders were all there and working. All my Windows plugins were also back but I did have to reinstall LinVST. I did not have to do any setup or configuration of LinVST after installing it though.

Other things I use that aren't contained to the home folder, like Kodi, Stellarium, FS_UAE (Amiga emulation), or KdenLive all needed to be installed from the repository, but were all setup upon installation, because their settings live in the home folder.

For instance, right after installing Kodi, I checked to see if it still had the correct ip address and port to use for streaming media from a MythTV server in the house and it did, because those settings are stored in the home folder.

Quote:
Do we have to configure Pipewire again?
And the Reapack plugins and Yabrige VSTs?
I guess that if you didn't mention it, it's OK.
I don't use PipeWire or ReaPack, so I can't say what those might entail.

The bottom line is having a full image backup is a good thing. I have Clonezilla images of my DAW, my MythTV server, and my wife's machine, but I also have made DejaDup copies of their home folders. I chose to go the DejaDup route with the last restore I did on my DAW so I'd end up with a brand new clean copy of Manjaro.

Last edited by Glennbo; 03-12-2023 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-12-2023, 06:49 PM   #20
krahosk

Quote:
FS_UAE (Amiga emulation)
I had an Amiga 500!
Old 03-13-2023, 07:32 AM   #21
Glennbo

Quote:
I had an Amiga 500!
I used an Amiga 500 and an Amiga 2000 in the 80s. The Amiga 2000 had a GoldenGate bridgeboard with its own memory and an Intel 386 so I could run Windows full speed as a task in an Amiga window.

I sold the Amiga 2000, but still have the 500. Both had hard drive backups on floppies, which I converted to virtual disk images, and then restored into a couple of virtual hard drives that I can now boot in the Amiga emulator FS_UAE. It's like having both my old Amigas available to boot up and run in a window on Linux now.
Old 03-13-2023, 04:12 PM   #22
clepsydrae

Amiga 1000 here. One of my biggest regrets is somehow somewhere getting rid of all my old floppies with myriad crazy coding experiments and journals and who knows what the hell... Somehow I still had all the C64 disks, though, so I transferred all that data over and it's absolutely wild to run programs I wrote when I was seven in an emulator. :-)

I may have been the hardest-core fanboy of Amiga that ever lived when I was a young man. I was borderline insufferable amongst my geek peers, and I still get wistful when the subject comes up.
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 06:04 PM   #23
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
Amiga 1000 here. One of my biggest regrets is somehow somewhere getting rid of all my old floppies with myriad crazy coding experiments and journals and who knows what the hell...
I still have three double row cases full of Amiga floppies. I converted them all to .adf virtual disk images, and can access them with the FS_UAE emulator. I never really did any coding on my Amiga, but still have my Amiga 500 and a broadcast quality GenLock plus TV Paint hardware that I used to use for video production.

Quote:
Somehow I still had all the C64 disks, though, so I transferred all that data over and it's absolutely wild to run programs I wrote when I was seven in an emulator. :-)
All my C64 disks must have gone with my SX64 (the briefcase model of the C64). I did some assembly coding for the C64/SX64, but I was in my twenties. That's pretty cool you were coding at seven.

I mostly wrote midi stuff, like patch librarians and a random patch generator for synths, but I also created a set list generator for the band I was playing in, where you could pick songs by their number, and create BIG font printable set lists for everybody in the band.

Quote:
I may have been the hardest-core fanboy of Amiga that ever lived when I was a young man. I was borderline insufferable amongst my geek peers, and I still get wistful when the subject comes up.
A couple of friends and I were heavily into modifying the OS. We re wrote the text for every error message to pop up comical stuff on errors, and had hacks to turn images into desktop icons. The Amiga OS, "Workbench", was light years ahead of Windows. Microsoft finally caught up with preemptive multitasking in Win95 about the same time that Commodore went out of business.

Last edited by Glennbo; 03-13-2023 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-13-2023, 07:45 PM   #24
clepsydrae

Quote:
That's pretty cool you were coding at seven.
Yeah thanks I mean don't let me oversell it :-) just talking ridiculous little kid BASIC programs and such, but certainly it gave me some kind of foundation.

If I ever need to assert my geek credentials all I have to do is recount that I wrote a BBS in AmigaBASIC and ran it at night on my mom's phone line, from my basement bedroom.

Quote:
I mostly wrote midi stuff, like patch librarians and a random patch generator for synths, but I also created a set list generator for the band I was playing in, where you could pick songs by their number, and create BIG font printable set lists for everybody in the band.
Nice. I was really into drawing isometric wireframes of randomly-generated 3D terrains. I also had a pirated version of Sculpt3D and I would spend weeks trying to render a single cone or low-poly sphere... set it up in the evening, start it rendering in the morning, come home from school the next day to find out it crashed, try again the next day, etc. I don't think I ever succeeded. :-)

At the age of 14 (!) I flew by myself to Toronto to attend the Amiga (/Commodore?) convention. Most exciting couple days of my life. :-) I still remember seeing the Lightwave 3D demo on a Video Toaster and losing my mind. To say "kids these days don't understand" doesn't begin to describe it. :-)
Old 03-13-2023, 08:34 PM   #25
michael diemer

I have no idea what you guys are talking about, but it sounds like it was fun! My level of sophistication at that time vis a vis "computers" was playing Pong...
Old 03-13-2023, 09:23 PM   #26
Glennbo

Quote:
Yeah thanks I mean don't let me oversell it :-) just talking ridiculous little kid BASIC programs and such, but certainly it gave me some kind of foundation.
BASIC was my first language in 1981 on a Sinclair ZX81 that I built from a kit. Commodore VIC 20 was my 2nd computer, and I continued writing BASIC stuff on it. Absolutely a good foundation to jump into other languages. My final career move after years of playing music for a living was to be a software developer for 27 years.

Quote:
If I ever need to assert my geek credentials all I have to do is recount that I wrote a BBS in AmigaBASIC and ran it at night on my mom's phone line, from my basement bedroom.
That's a pretty involved app to write! I ran a BBS after midnight on my Amiga, but I was using someone else's 3rd party software.

Quote:
Nice. I was really into drawing isometric wireframes of randomly-generated 3D terrains. I also had a pirated version of Sculpt3D and I would spend weeks trying to render a single cone or low-poly sphere... set it up in the evening, start it rendering in the morning, come home from school the next day to find out it crashed, try again the next day, etc. I don't think I ever succeeded. :-)
The broadcast quality genlock and TV paint hardware I still have was used almost exclusively for Sculpt 4D. When I upgraded to an Amiga 2000, I put a GVP 68030 accelerator board in it so my 3D animations would only take days to render all the frames, rather than weeks. Hehe, I can still load and run that stuff in FS_UAE.

Quote:
At the age of 14 (!) I flew by myself to Toronto to attend the Amiga (/Commodore?) convention. Most exciting couple days of my life. :-) I still remember seeing the Lightwave 3D demo on a Video Toaster and losing my mind. To say "kids these days don't understand" doesn't begin to describe it. :-)
One of my friends had a Video Toaster and a nice little Panasonic video mixer, so we would pool our resources, and produce really nice videos for clients in the 80s. I never went to any Amiga conventions, but all my Amiga buddies and I went to local Amiga enthusiasts meetings where we'd get to play with the latest cool software and hardware.

Last edited by Glennbo; 04-13-2023 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-13-2023, 09:46 PM   #27
clepsydrae

When I see screenshots from that era I still say to myself "surely that's not what it ACTUALLY looked like at the time... surely it wasn't THAT low resolution... surely it wasn't THAT clunky and slow..." Amazing how it has changed.
Old 03-13-2023, 09:53 PM   #28
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
I have no idea what you guys are talking about, but it sounds like it was fun!
In the 80s, a group of chip designers broke loose from making Atari game cartridges and developed the most advanced consumer computer available at the time. It was way ahead of all the hardware back then, and used by musicians, artists, and pro video houses. Lots of 3D rendered video in the 80s was done on Amigas. Stuff like some of the Next Generation Star Trek FX and almost all of the computer stuff in the TV show Babylon 5, and the opening for Amazing Stories among other things.

The Amiga was a creative person's computer, but the company selling them only bought the technology from someone else and eventually ran the ship aground through bad management.

Quote:
My level of sophistication at that time vis a vis "computers" was playing Pong...
Pong was cool when it first came out. I was on the road with a band then, and I bought one of the first generation Atari Pong game consoles that we'd play while cruising down the road to the next gig.
Old 03-13-2023, 10:32 PM   #29
Glennbo

Quote:
When I see screenshots from that era I still say to myself "surely that's not what it ACTUALLY looked like at the time... surely it wasn't THAT low resolution... surely it wasn't THAT clunky and slow..." Amazing how it has changed.
That was the reason for adding CPU upgrade cards and external video rendering hardware like the Video Toaster my friend had or the 24 bit high res DCTV hardware I still have today.

You would design in the low res screen like the screenshot I posted of Sculpt 4D, but then you would render to the DCTV hardware and end up with high quality video that could be recorded to video tape.