Old 12-28-2022, 07:24 PM   #1
FLACTOR
Human being with feelings

Default Reconnect Audio Interface

Hi, REAPER is awesome software.
Just one thing ... whenever my system goes to sleep, the connection to the audio-interface is lost. I always have to restart REAPER.
All other programs I use pick it up again, even if I switch on the interface after I wake the system from sleep.
On Ubuntu 22 - Pipewire - Behringer UMC 1820
Cheers
FLACTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 07:36 PM   #2
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLACTOR View Post
Hi, REAPER is awesome software.
Just one thing ... whenever my system goes to sleep, the connection to the audio-interface is lost. I always have to restart REAPER.
All other programs I use pick it up again, even if I switch on the interface after I wake the system from sleep.
On Ubuntu 22 - Pipewire - Behringer UMC 1820
Cheers
I never let my machine sleep, and in REAPER I use ALSA with my UMC1820/ADA8200, but something you should try next time rather than restarting REAPER is to just click the audio setup at the top right, and then when the audio setup panel pops up, click OK without changing anything.

The few times I've lost communication in REAPER with my UMC1820/ADA8200 from playing around with buggy plugins, just opening the audio setup panel and clicking OK re-connected it.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 07:55 PM   #3
FLACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I never let my machine sleep, and in REAPER I use ALSA with my UMC1820/ADA8200, but something you should try next time rather than restarting REAPER is to just click the audio setup at the top right, and then when the audio setup panel pops up, click OK without changing anything.

The few times I've lost communication in REAPER with my UMC1820/ADA8200 from playing around with buggy plugins, just opening the audio setup panel and clicking OK re-connected it.
Oh thanks, I'l try that. I never switch my system off, always put it to sleep when I stop playing ...
Anyway, maybe REAPER could be polling the available hardware, from time to time.

I use the whole chain ALSA ... Pipewire and Pulse.
Old 12-28-2022, 08:53 PM   #4
FLACTOR

REAPER terminates if I do that. No messages logged, just gone.
Old 12-29-2022, 06:52 AM   #5
/AND/

Try switching to Dummy audio driver and then back to your interface. It's what fixes it for me.
/AND/ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 08:54 AM   #6
Glennbo

Sounds like REAPER thinks it is still connected, even though sleep mode broke its connection, so that when it tries to re-connect it gets in a crash loop trying to enumerate audio devices.

I've seen the vaporizing type of crash in REAPER when switching protocols and experimenting between JACK and ALSA. JACK tends to leave stuff looking like it's in use, even after shutting it down.

IOW, if I fire up qjackctl, and then set REAPER to use JACK, then if I shut down REAPER, stop JACK and close qjackctl, then launching REAPER again and selecting ALSA will always result in error messages that the midi and audio ports are not available, even though both JACK and qjackctl have been stopped and closed. Sometimes, that will make REAPER vaporize on me too.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 01:59 PM   #7
FLACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by /AND/ View Post
Try switching to Dummy audio driver and then back to your interface. It's what fixes it for me.
That works! It's probably not parsing the events from the Pipewire-JACK dummy, or they are not provided.
It should release the interface when the system goes to sleep and try to reconnect when getting the focus again. The events are easy to catch and other programs seem to do that.
It works without interaction with the Pulse-bridge.
Old 03-16-2023, 03:56 AM   #8
Olavi

Default Lnix impact on Windows

A few years ago there was a news, that M-Soft is working on joining Linux with the Windows world somehow. About 6 months ago Windows started to act with sound as never before. After using ASIO driver, you don't get any sound from browsers or videos until you rerstat Windows. Now I understand that it is influence of Linux, as it's main problem is sound.
Olavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 04:27 AM   #9
/AND/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olavi View Post
A few years ago there was a news, that M-Soft is working on joining Linux with the Windows world somehow. About 6 months ago Windows started to act with sound as never before. After using ASIO driver, you don't get any sound from browsers or videos until you rerstat Windows. Now I understand that it is influence of Linux, as it's main problem is sound.
That's not the issue of Linux, it is the issue of ASIO drivers. They completely hijack Windows' audio driver. If they don't properly de-hijack, you can't use regular audio anymore (which is why reboot helps).
/AND/ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 10:14 PM   #10
Time Waster

I loose my Scarlett interface whenever the computer wakes up from sleep, but In just uplug the usb and plug it back in again. Then if necessary, open the audio device dialog and close it again.