Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Live Use

Old 11-01-2022, 02:37 PM   #1
CallMeBugs
Human being with feelings

Default How to route/display a video from Reaper on two beamers?

Hi,

My band uses several audio tracks (click, orchestra) during a gig, and now wants to use a music video during each song. The same video should be showed on 2 identical beamers, synced with the audio output.

The audio part is clear to me, but not the video part.

My question:
What kind of interface or equipment do I need to play video outside of Reaper on the two HDMI beamers?

I used Cymatic LP16 so far, but that cannot play videos. So I'm investigating if I could use a Mac Laptop.

PS. But if anyone knows a hardware solution/sequencer for playing back audio + midi + video then please let me know. E.g. the Cymatic uTrack 24 is no longer available.
CallMeBugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 04:29 PM   #2
ashcat_lt

IDK anything about Reaper, but I tend to think that if there’s no live interaction involved, and you’re literally just playing things back, you don’t really need Reaper at all. Render the things to your preferred video format with the audio included and play them back from some dedicated player like VLC or something.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 12:48 PM   #3
CallMeBugs

We already have all audio and midi playback tracks in Reaper and I thought it would be very handy to be able to play ALL parts (audio, midi PLUS new video) together from Reaper. That's why I was asking for ideas about how to get the video live out of reaper to two beamers. I have not found an interface so far that can receive audio + midi + video from reaper (Mac Laptop) to play it live.
Old 11-05-2022, 11:57 PM   #4
ashcat_lt

Is the MIDI doing something other than generating the same audio every time? Is any of it reacting to live input? If not, then you’re just using more resources (and increasing risk of failure). Video formats can support multichannel audio if you need things split out for whatever reason.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 11:54 AM   #5
CallMeBugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
Is the MIDI doing something other than generating the same audio every time? Is any of it reacting to live input? If not, then you’re just using more resources (and increasing risk of failure). Video formats can support multichannel audio if you need things split out for whatever reason.
The MIDI messages are only used to control/change effects in the effect rack of the singer, via program changes.
The drummer would start the track containing audio + midi.
And hopefully - one day - corresponding the video track too!
Old 11-06-2022, 12:01 PM   #6
CallMeBugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
IDK anything about Reaper, but I tend to think that if there’s no live interaction involved, and you’re literally just playing things back, you don’t really need Reaper at all. Render the things to your preferred video format with the audio included and play them back from some dedicated player like VLC or something.
Today I use Cymatic LP16 to play audio + midi. I create the audio and midi stuff in Reaper. All this works great.
Now - as an addition to the audio playbacks - we also want to use a video per song. Like a music video, a lyrics video or just some moving pictures.
Cymatic LP16 cannot play video. That's why I'm looking for a solution to play audio + midi + video. Because Reaper can play video I thought that can be the solution. But I do not understand how to play the video outside of reaper, on an external beamer (during a live gig with my band).

PS: An optimal solution would be a playlist within Reaper, where the drummer can start the next song (containing audio + video + midi) with one click in the playlist. With the possibility of start/stop and next/previous song.
Old 11-06-2022, 01:11 PM   #7
EpicSounds

mac is your main screen, connect an hdmi splitter to the hdmi out port.
connect your projectors to that. Make your mac extend the desktop onto second display (the splitter/2 projectors).
Move your video window to the external display.
Old 11-22-2022, 03:43 AM   #8
hlavsa

Default Video from Reaper

It is doable but not exactly easy. You have 2 options:
1. Easier one: add a video track to your project with lyrics video. Show a video window, make it fullscreen and put it on second display via HDMI output. You can assign in video window with right click which monitor is for fullscreen mode.
Advantage: your video is perfectly synced with your audio
Disadvantage: You may experience problems with video latency, jitter because Reaper is not dedicated video player.
2. More complicated: you may use dedicated video player, like VLC and use Reaper to trigger play using lua programming or other remote technique.
hlavsa is offline   Reply With Quote