Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 05-15-2022, 08:20 AM   #1
leafac
Human being with feelings

Default Discover ReaScripts on the file system, like JSFX, FX Chains, and so forth

Most resources in REAPER are scanned based on a well-known location on the file system, for example, JSFX, FX Chains, even VSTs, and so forth.

But ReaScripts require the “New action…” > “Load ReaScript…” process.

Do you think we could change that behavior?

I believe this would make things more ergonomic during ReaScript development. Also, it would preclude the “Delete” button, which I’m always afraid of clicking by accident. It would probably be simpler for people who want to install an one-off script, instead of using something like ReaPack. Perhaps we would keep the “Load ReaScript…” button, for backward compatibility, but it would just copy a file into the well-known location…

I realize how big of a change this must be, but I thought I’d ask anyway

(I thought this is the kind of thing that would come up often, but I searched on Google and on the forums and nothing came up [shrugs])
leafac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 08:53 AM   #2
X-Raym

This has been discussed especially early 2015 when Lua came up in v5 pre relases and we started releasing tons of new script per week :P

there were strong incitives to have this load system, surely related to command id generation, backward compatibility, performance etc...

Here was one of these posts about this : https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=156798

EDIT: side note, there an API action to register / unregister actions if you want to script some files scanner arround this as a workarround (but MPL did one if I remember well for cleaning action list) https://extremraym.com/cloud/reascri...emoveReaScript

Last edited by X-Raym; 05-15-2022 at 09:00 AM.
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 02:23 AM   #3
leafac

X-Raym: Thanks for bringing it up—I hadn’t found that thread in my original research even though I couldn’t believe I had been the first to think of it.

As I imagined, this is probably a low priority. And I guess that since ReaPack it’s an even lower priority still. ReaPack solves most of the inconveniences for end-users. At this point I think it’s mostly us developers who have juggle scripts around with loading and deleting.

It’s nice that you can script a script loader (I have had to use that before on a script for a client and it worked great). But, naturally, something integrated in REAPER and consistent with JSFX, FX Chains and so forth, would be much nicer
leafac is offline   Reply With Quote