Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 05-11-2022, 07:07 AM   #1
for
Human being with feelings

Default Major things missing from Reaper in your opinion?

I i've been mainly using Reaper so just checking what i could be missing from other daws

not that i'm gonna switch as far i plan right now i am happy with reaper but just to be aware

thanks!
for is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 08:44 AM   #2
Rambler_Man

I would say the only thing perhaps 'missing' is a built-in suite of third party plugins.

Then again, if you are the type to use a DAW as configurable as Reaper, you probably already have a bunch of free/paid plugins that you prefer anyway.
Rambler_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 08:57 AM   #3
bjohn

I haven't been able to get it to make supper for me yet, but apart from that (and maybe playlists) there doesn't seem to be anything it can't do.
bjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 10:15 AM   #4
jerome_oneil

If the team could get to work on one of these, I'd really appreciate it.

jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 11:33 AM   #5
grinder

This deserves a reply Jerome, "Sensational" brings a laugh and smile to the day.!

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 11:49 AM   #6
dukati

More complete beat mapping and audio quantizing processes. All the tools seem to be there, but hidden and feels like a work around.
dukati is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 11:51 AM   #7
iharpyou

I wish it could make me a cup of coffee

Audio Motu 4 and PC: i7-10700KF CPU 3.79 GHz | Ram: 32 GB |GeForce RTX 3070
iharpyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 11:55 AM   #8
martifingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by iharpyou View Post
I wish it could make me a cup of coffee
That would be in the FX menu - it's called Reabrew. Be careful when gain staging into it as it can run a little hot...😉
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 02:11 PM   #9
for

Quote:
Originally Posted by martifingers View Post
That would be in the FX menu - it's called Reabrew. Be careful when gain staging into it as it can run a little hot...😉
i tried searching for it always had high hopes lol

for is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 03:35 PM   #10
foxAsteria

As soon as PlayTime 2 drops, pretty much nothing. I would like to see time-based MIDI but maybe that's just too big for Reaper's britches...
Old 05-12-2022, 03:24 AM   #11
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler_Man View Post
I would say the only thing perhaps 'missing' is a built-in suite of third party plugins.

Then again, if you are the type to use a DAW as configurable as Reaper, you probably already have a bunch of free/paid plugins that you prefer anyway.
AKA good riddance!

Which is a major plus for Reaper - no unwanted sample pack/instruments and FX Bloat.

This is probably the no.1 reason I chose Reaper. Efficiency and price as other major factors.

It would be nice for the non themeable parts to become themeable. Vector scaling graphics for the DAW would be nice too. Probably won't happen, no biggie.

Functionality is pretty much there already though. YMMV and probably will.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 11:53 AM   #12
bolgwrad

The 'Track Wiring' screen is a bit limited in its usefulness atmo. It would be great if you could drag'n'drop wires to do signal routing.
Old 05-12-2022, 12:13 PM   #13
Reapology
Banned

Quote:
The 'Track Wiring' screen is a bit limited in its usefulness atmo. It would be great if you could drag'n'drop wires to do signal routing.
+2 the signal routing is just awfully unintuitive?
Hopefully the pre_release pin management overhaul makes this a far more enjoyable,user friendly experience.

+3 At least 1 proper playable instrument would be nice for new and old users alike?

+4 or,DECENT sampler..rs5k is just..well...it is just a just.

+5 kitchen sink..it has almost everything else.
Reapology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 02:19 AM   #14
jerome_oneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
AKA good riddance!

Which is a major plus for Reaper - no unwanted sample pack/instruments and FX Bloat.
I'd fully agree with that. Cockos has never tried to sell me anything except the stuff they sell, and I really appreciate that.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 02:50 AM   #15
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome_oneil View Post
I'd fully agree with that. Cockos has never tried to sell me anything except the stuff they sell, and I really appreciate that.
Yes, I like that way of putting it. They aren't in cahoots with anyone else. They aren't beholden to anyone else to promote them. They aren't having to compromise by attaching second-rate plugins that no one will use once they have the software they really want to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reapology View Post
+3 At least 1 proper playable instrument would be nice for new and old users alike?

+4 or,DECENT sampler..rs5k is just..well...it is just a just.
These days so much of the free software will better the so so add-ons that come with a DAW package.
Since a DAW is essentially a massive sandpit where you create your own path I wouldn't expect much in terms of creativity from someone lacking the imagination to do a Google search for opinions on the best free plugins!

After the free plugins there is the nicely priced and ever-growing number of next to free plugins that have been quality commercial products that are being shafted out as free advertising, after their commercial life has burned-out. Or in the case of Surge XT a once commercial product being further developed by the open source community.

Compare Surge XT to absolutely any synthesiser that comes with a pricey DAW.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 03:08 PM   #16
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolgwrad View Post
When that was in the works we came up with a long list of improvements. It sat on the back burner for months and then finally it was released in the exact same form.

Nobody could understand e.g. the right to left layout or the clunky zoom etc but that's what we've got. I'd say it's unlikely to ever change. Really unfortunate because it was a highly anticipated feature that I'm completely unable to use. Such a shame.
Old 05-16-2022, 01:32 AM   #17
bigtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome_oneil View Post
If the team could get to work on one of these, I'd really appreciate it.

Lol. You beat me to it😎
Old 05-16-2022, 08:46 AM   #18
SiddieNam

Default (Proper) Loop based production tools

I don't need bundled VST instruments which I'm never going to use due to having my own fave's anyway. Many of the onboard Reaper FX sound great (I know they have basic dialogues but I don't care how they look -- I'm making music, not fashion). The MIDI stuff sometimes gets moaned about a bit but I don't really know why -- it works for me. I can compose, do sound design, mix, master... all in all Reaper gives me pretty much everything I need.

The only thing I'd like, the only thing, is a loop based tool, a bit like you can get with Ableton or FL Studio. The closest I have is Playtime (a good third party attempt to fit right in with Reaper). Or you can go with JS Super-8 -- which works, but is clunky in the extreme.

I'm not complaining, of course -- I like to think one day someone at Cockos will go "right team -- let's give that a go!". Until then, I'm looking forward to the release of Playtime 2. Until then...

Reaper -- I still love you. I'm just telling you my little kinky fantasy. That's all.
SiddieNam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 09:52 AM   #19
tonalstates

* Fx Containers, for easier non cluttered multi-band stuff i.e.
* Loop based production (as stated above)
* Native Audio/MIDI retrospective recording with grid options at insert

And my very own thread on sub-project consistency which is my current hole
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....97#post2558997
tonalstates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 10:06 AM   #20
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler_Man View Post

As Softsynth said, 90% of DAW bundled 3rd party plugins aren't better than free or native counterparts. They usually serve as enticement to spend money on other offerings of that 3rd party. I would assume that there is nothing in a relationship with a third party to add their software that would benefit Cockos. We save so much as Reaper users that we can splurge on a major software package and still be spending less than any other comparable DAW's cost. If I spent $375 - $595 on a DAW I'd be less inclined to do that. And I'd be REAL disappointed if the plugins, native, bundled or otherwise, didn't for the most part thrill me. I get so much use out of assorted free or nearly free plugins in Reaper and how it handles them so effortlessly that I don't really want any of that to change.