Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Live Use

Old 05-07-2022, 07:40 PM   #1
kokconut
Human being with feelings

Default Configuring Reaper for live guitars

Sorry for opening another thread to ask basically the same but I'm trying to figure out how I could set Reaper to change between various guitar sounds while performing live/rehearsing. In the other thread foxAsteria told me about something called Live Configs so maybe this is the right subforum to ask my questions.

The thing is that I want to switch between four different sounds (clean... to solo) just by selecting one track or another. It seems that Live Configs is the way to do it but I can't figure out how to make it work.

If I understand it, you can assign 1 midi note to each of the 8 Config# pages. Then to each of the 128 rows of one Config# you can assign 1 value of said midi note. I'm currently using an Akai mpd218 as midi controller whose pads are only assignable to 1 midi note each. Is there a way to assign a different midi note to each rows of the same Config# instead of different values of the same midi note?

Also, I can't figure out what actions should I set in the "Activate action" and "Deactivate action" columns.
kokconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 01:39 AM   #2
mschnell

A warm welcome to the Reaper "Live" community.

Please take a look at the sticky thread in this forum. There is a lot appropriate information on that behalf.

LiveConfig (there is a link for a - hopefully - improved User Guide), has originally been done by a Guitarist for exactly the purpose you describe.

Another Guitarist ("Pipeline" ) did not like it because it does not feature "spill over" of reverb tails. So we did another implementation by using multiple JSFXes and Reaper Scripts. This does work great, but its a lot more effort configuring than with using LiveConfigs.

Afterwards "ReaLearn" emerged that might help on that behalf, but I did not decently try it.

Re your specific questions:
LiveConfig listens to Midi CC messages but not to Midi notes. But there are ways to convert Midi Notes, Program change messages ... to CC messages and route them to LiveConfig's input (the "ReaperControlPath").
The LiveConfigs "Pages" work in parallel and each listens to CC messages on the Midi Channel it is configured to.
You don't need to configure actions in LiveConfigs. This is strictly optional for more elaborated use. (The primary "standard" is having it just mute/unmute a selection of tracks.)
See the sticky thread and the (newer) LiveConfig User Guide.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 05-08-2022 at 04:15 AM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 09:33 AM   #3
kokconut

Oh thank you, I didn't see the sticky thread. I'm gonna read it as soon as I can.
Old 05-10-2022, 05:10 PM   #4
kokconut

While I have not read the sticky yet, I have managed to switch between the different guitar sounds using sws snapshots, muting 3 tracks an letting sound just the one that I need.

For now I'll stick with this solution.
Old 05-11-2022, 01:01 AM   #5
mschnell

If you have a track for each "sound" I don't see why you need snapshots. It should be enough to just have SWS LiveConfig mute and unmute those tracks, maybe a lot more efficiently.

How do you make "SWS-Snapshots" change snapshots via Midi commands ?

-Michael
Old 05-11-2022, 04:26 AM   #6
kokconut

I make it through the action "recall snapshot", assigning a different pad from my mpd218 to recall each snapshot.
Old 05-12-2022, 12:35 AM   #7
mschnell

I see.

Using what Midi messages ?

-Michael
Old 05-12-2022, 06:22 PM   #8
kokconut

Midi notes.
Old 05-13-2022, 12:42 AM   #9
mschnell

???
I understand you can't trigger Actions (directly) by midi notes, only by CCs. Am I wrong ? (At least if not using MKidiTpoReaCpontrolPath or ReaLerarn...)

-Michael
Old 05-13-2022, 02:01 AM   #10
kokconut

Yes, you can do it, simply adding it as a shortcut to the action in the actions window.

I have mapped my mpd218 to control transport, mutes, solos and other functions by sending midi notes with the selected pad. They appear as "MIDI Chan x Note x".

I also use the rotary encoders to control volumes, pans or plugins and these do appear as CC messages.

Last edited by kokconut; 05-13-2022 at 02:08 AM.
Old 05-13-2022, 02:22 PM   #11
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokconut View Post
Yes, you can do it, simply adding it as a shortcut to the action in the actions window.
Don't find that option.
-Michael
Old 05-13-2022, 03:32 PM   #12
kokconut

How do you map a pad or encoder to send CC messages and control actions?