Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 07-27-2014, 10:11 AM   #1
serr
Human being with feelings

Default Anyone set up a cluster computer to use with Reaper?

Has anyone set up a cluster server computer to use with Reaper?

I want to try this as I usually have an extra computer or 3 lying around.

I believe the term is 'cluster computer'. (It used to be called 'nodes' I think back in PPC days. And it's probably an entirely different term/procedure/concept in Windows.)

I believe I would need to install OSX server, etc, etc, etc.

Anyone have any experience with this and running Reaper?
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:21 AM   #2
BeatPsychic

Haven't yet used it myself, but i think you might want to check out Reamote(an option when you install Reaper)...

from the user guide:

22.3 ReaMote

ReaMote is REAPER's network FX functionality. It allows you to have any FX chain in your project processed on a
remote machine on your local network. This is useful if you want to add more CPU power to your project (to run
various FX) without upgrading your main host's CPU. You will need to set up ReaMote and install REAPER and
your plug-ins on the slave machines.
For OS X users, ReaMote can be installed when REAPER is installed, by dragging and dropping the ReaMote icon
into the Applications folder icon. For Windows users, make sure when installing REAPER that you have
ReaMote selected and enabled under Additional functionality on the Choose components page of the
install wizard. Run the ReaMote slave on the slave machines, then enable ReaMote in the REAPER
Preferences on the master, specify your settings and options, and you're ready to go!
To learn more about how to set up and use ReaMote, go to wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/ReaMote.
BeatPsychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:44 AM   #3
serr

Thanks for the tip!

That's funny... Didn't notice that Reaper had it's own version of this OS feature!

I guess I'll have to try it both ways and see which is better performance. Any comments about that from anyone. Using ReaMote vs. setting up a cluster at the OS level?
Old 07-28-2014, 07:11 AM   #4
Andy Hamm

Yes Reamote worked for me when I tested it, but since the program itself and the default plugs are so efficient with resources, I've never had to use it.

I keep hoping that host mode will make it's way into Reaper one day. It would be great for me but it would also allow the pc to be located outside of a studio where it would be totally silent.
Andy Hamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:28 AM   #5
serr

Aww... too bad ReaMote only works with Reaper plugins.

Cluster setup it is then!
If anyone has any tips from experience, that would be awesome to hear!
Old 05-15-2022, 10:18 PM   #6
Woops

Location: Dah I live In a house on a hill in a City far far away, A little City Called Melbourne

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Has anyone set up a cluster server computer to use with Reaper?

I want to try this as I usually have an extra computer or 3 lying around.

I believe the term is 'cluster computer'. (It used to be called 'nodes' I think back in PPC days. And it's probably an entirely different term/procedure/concept in Windows.)

I believe I would need to install OSX server, etc, etc, etc.

Anyone have any experience with this and running Reaper?
Just a question on your idea of what the 3rd computer will do ?

are you wanting the benefits of extra CPU and memory and GPU gained from clustering.

I Used to use Clusters for years the benefits where seen right away when doing render farms for graphics. or real time game environments like the old Cave Cluster system, where each computer in the cluster rendered a different section of the environment
pc1 left wall
pc 2 right wall
pc3 back wall
pc 4 front wall
pc 5 up
pc 6 down
each pc only rendering its field of view. which made these things fast when using a massive set of projectors to render the real time environment this was in the 1990s before things changed and we got the pcie port in pcs in 2004 Mac took another three years to catch up on the new PCIE system. brought out by NVIDIA AND INTEL.

Now 20 years later they have new tech to do this.

They have now brought out Direct GPU in conjunction with Nvidia, Intel, and Mellenox

what happens now is you still have all your clustering done with multiple machines but they use direct GPU with the use of InfiniBand's networking acceleration tech these cards boost the GPU and network ten fold.

so what happens is the mellenox cards accelerate the computer by using its on processor on board to boost the speed of calculation for shared GPU and memory sharing directly over the net work.

They call this now Virtualization but the Clustering technique's are still there and are used just on a massive scale at data centers all over the world you can now go to places like AWS, google, intel, and Microsoft and pay for the services you can select what size and amount of processor graphics or memory you will need and off you go this is not cheap, best thing to do is make sure your have elastic services enabled so when your no using it it scales down to nothing costing you nothing when not using the services, when demand goes up it opens up more cpu gpu and memory for the task at hand.

So your wanting to use this kind of service with your home machines??

I would suggest you don't use OSX as it does not support half the networking options needed for use in clustering direct vt-d vt-x
etc etc it causes kernel panics on the osx environment support which will fuck you up for sharing your video card to other users on the cluster mac pulled out of enterprise solutions years ago, you don't see any of there servers in the main stream any more they are out of enterprise networks.

Best thing you can do is link up the machine using some cheap infina band cards and share the memory and gpus across the network so yu can do mor calculations.

I recently used AWS serveries and installed COD Black op on a virtual machine running 1 tesla card gpu 32 gb ram and 48 processors, once it was installed on the virtual instance i used parsec as the client to load into the virtual machine and ran parsec on my pc at home had COD running on the virtual server in Sydney I am based In Melbourne.
I logged in and i was only getting a ping of 12ms to the virtual machine it was awesome. the virtual machine did all the rendering and and displayed the out put to parsec it was awesome. 12 ms of ping no lag in game no video lag game was super responsive.

being a network engineer has made this an easy task for me if you need help more than happy to point you in the right direction.

If your interested in it there is a free tier on AWS services where you can try this for free if your interested in trying it out.

sorry for the essay

Kind Regards
Mark Ballinger
Woops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 12:50 AM   #7
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Aww... too bad ReaMote only works with Reaper plugins.
???
ReaMote is supposed to work with any plugins, provided they are installed exactly alike on either site.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 02:13 AM   #8
Woops

Location: Dah I live In a house on a hill in a City far far away, A little City Called Melbourne
Default Nvidia and mallanox paper

Here is where things are going and are at right now.

its a good read.

https://www.osti.gov/servlets/purl/1120826

unless you want to buy the infiniband cards to link the machines

Hope you enjoy the read

Woops
Woops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 08:20 AM   #9
rncwalker

Check out AudioGridder!

https://audiogridder.com/

It's not a 'cluster server computer' but a 'separate FX server' (You can have many of the servers as you want) that can link to your Reaper (Or any other DAW) as an FX.

It may be able to do some of what you want.

How to make a cluster PIE PC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R0UgIgcb5g

How to make a cluster Windows PC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uuj0tSWoGD0

Robert

Last edited by rncwalker; 05-16-2022 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Cluster Info
rncwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 12:52 PM   #10
zeekat

Fair chance OP found something else to do during those 8 years
Old 05-16-2022, 01:10 PM   #11
rncwalker

Do not notice that!

Thanks for the heads up!

Robert
rncwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 10:12 AM   #12
ivansc

Ask him - he is still a regular contributor on here.
Might well have THE answer still.
Old 05-17-2022, 10:22 AM   #13
maxdembo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
Fair chance OP found something else to do during those 8 years
Well that made me LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Ask him - he is still a regular contributor on here.
Might well have THE answer still.
We already got it! Its 42.

On topic... I've considered this as there are a bunch of videos around about Pi clusters, but it was making my brain bleed even considering the head f*ck I'd get myself in trying to figure it out.

So, if the answer isnt 42, I'm intrigued to hear it
maxdembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 11:52 AM   #14
tony10000

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...cluster-board?
tony10000 is offline   Reply With Quote