Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 09-30-2021, 09:34 AM   #321
karbomusic
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
Then C++ plugin extension would be the way.
It uses the API too FYI. I used it when I wrote/updated the FaderportXT controller driver way back around 2011 which is in C++.
Old 09-30-2021, 09:39 AM   #322
buyrunvelocity

+1 and for track grouping for editing multiple tracks.
buyrunvelocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 09:41 AM   #323
MonkeyBars

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
It uses the API too FYI. I used it when I wrote/updated the FaderportXT controller driver way back around 2011 which is in C++.
Thanks for the clarification! I was under the impression that the C++ can shortcircuit the ReaScript API and hook into lower-level functions.

Since C++ isn't a scripting language but is compiled, can you explain the logic behind your statement?
MonkeyBars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 09:56 AM   #324
karbomusic

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification! I was under the impression that the C++ can shortcircuit the ReaScript API and hook into lower-level functions.

Since C++ isn't a scripting language but is compiled, can you explain the logic behind your statement?
I'd have to dig through my old project but I think you get lower level access to MIDI hardware etc. (think control surface - that's what "csurf" means when you see it in the doc below) but I know that when I "talk to reaper" via extension, I'm restricted to all the functions available in the SDK/API here:

https://github.com/justinfrankel/rea...in_functions.h

So if what needs to be done as far as Reaper is in those functions it's possible, if not, then not. But my assumption is some events or actions, functions one would for playlists need aren't there.

Keep in mind, different people use PT Playlists/Takes whathaveyou in different ways so some things you could solve but not all - it would get bloated and ugly pretty quickly IMHO, but then again, it will by trying to do it natively simply because it can't replace what is there already and there are lots of differing use cases.

This is precisely why I think the best path is to try to get a feature called track versions, that is a separate component of Takes/Comps.

Last edited by karbomusic; 09-30-2021 at 10:02 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 09:58 AM   #325
MonkeyBars

Quote:
when I "talk to reaper" via extension, I'm restricted to all the functions available in the SDK/API here:

https://github.com/justinfrankel/rea...in_functions.h
I think that is the compiled SDK and is separate from the ReaScript API, which is more limited
Old 09-30-2021, 10:10 AM   #326
karbomusic

Quote:
I think that is the compiled SDK and is separate from the ReaScript API, which is more limited
Right but it is the "API" and you can see every function it contains and the majority that are Reaper specific, not MIDI or audio hardware specific are the same I think (scripts are likely just wrappers for the C++ API). And you or whomever can use that to confirm what it can/can't do and answer the question fully.

A good way to look at it is the scripting APIs were to make this possible for scripters without having to learn C++. I could be wrong but the last time I programmed extension wise, there wasn't some amazing set of functions that didn't exist anywhere else - you had some advantages and could do more stuff with ASIO/MIDI but what's exposed, is what's exposed API wise and all that is in the header file I posted. Could be wrong though.

Last edited by karbomusic; 09-30-2021 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-30-2021, 10:17 AM   #327
karbomusic

Actually, if you want a better idea of what the API can do or can't, look at the SWS extension, since it pretty much covers the gamut of C++ API functionality.

You can do that by either by checking out the features it exposes in Reaper, or looking at the source code on GitHub since it is open source...

https://github.com/reaper-oss/sws

Last edited by karbomusic; 09-30-2021 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-30-2021, 11:05 AM   #328
MonkeyBars

Quote:
Actually, if you want a better idea of what the API can do or can't, look at the SWS extension
Was just about to do so!

Seems to me with that SDK making a playlist / track version solution would definitely be possible.
Old 09-30-2021, 10:02 PM   #329
n997

+1 to playlists/track versions, or whatever it might be called in REAPER's context.
n997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 06:45 AM   #330
jschwartz@berklee.edu

All I can do is agree and say this: if Reaper had track based edit groups and a playlisting function like PT, I would switch DAWS from PT to Reaper in a heartbeat
jschwartz@berklee.edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 06:54 AM   #331
Dragec1974

Default Playlist

Hi

Here is my version of pro tools playlist workaround

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql0Ocpq9_PA
Dragec1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 12:07 PM   #332
Gass n Klang

Seems like a new comping system is coming. It's in the new beta release.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=258703
I think it's by far less flexible as pro tools style playlists. Perhaps you want to discuss with us to stem the tide and turn it into a better direction.
Old 02-22-2022, 10:00 AM   #333
Styx

Unfortunately, nothing so far. I'm still waiting impatiently...

At the moment I have to record and comp in Pro Tools then take it into REAPER for the rest. I hate having to work this way. Please, introduce a better comping system, Cockos!
Styx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 11:03 PM   #334
sam26

+1000000000000000000000000000000

Same.

Omg I just had to mix a few episodes of a TV show in Pro Tools and having playlists made things sooooo easy. I can't believe Reaper doesn't have playlists like WTF.
sam26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 10:46 AM   #335
fricia

Default Playlist Folders - Pro Tools style playlists for Reaper

Hey everybody

While we wait for Cockos to build the new envelope lanes feature (as noted above it' available in pre-release builds) into the cool new takes system we all hope for, you can try out my Playlist Folders scripts which mimick Pro Tools playlists pretty closely.
It's currently in beta, but Pro Tools users should feel right at home. If you're interested I'd love to hear your feedback!

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=2529613
fricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 01:51 PM   #336
thermos

Recorded some drums and a bass today in Reaper, and tried to do some comping. What a DRAG. Seriously the worst daw for multi track editing without track edit groups and/or playlists. Won’t make that mistake again!
thermos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 11:07 AM   #337
Gass n Klang

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
Recorded some drums and a bass today in Reaper, and tried to do some comping. What a DRAG. Seriously the worst daw for multi track editing without track edit groups and/or playlists. Won’t make that mistake again!
well yes, you're right. If you know how, you can do some workarounds. But who wants to work around...
Old 05-16-2022, 05:48 PM   #338
thermos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gass n Klang View Post
well yes, you're right. If you know how, you can do some workarounds. But who wants to work around...
I tried a slew of custom scripts recommended here and elsewhere: some just didn’t work, some required a dev release (of which there are none currently on landoleet). Lots of installing reapack stuff, but to no avail. Really really time consuming. I got it done but it probably took 3 hrs extra over a pt or logic session.

Love Reaper for everything BUT this.
Old 05-16-2022, 11:07 PM   #339
Pink Wool

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
some required a dev release (of which there are none currently on landoleet).
https://www.landoleet.org/old/

You can find the older dev versions there. Only the most recent build (release candidate or dev) is in the landing page FYI.
Pink Wool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 02:34 AM   #340
strachupl

Default Have you tried this?

LUA: Virtual Tracks by Sexan
strachupl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 12:15 PM   #341
Sexan

It requires prerelease since it uses crucial feature to make/show lanes (and it is on landoleet but in old folder).

I'm working against the prerelease so when update comes there I update the script also (and don't need to make the whole script after the feature is live). When the feature gets in stable reaper I will be announcing it.

For now it cant be done without the feature that is in prerelease (I've done my system before with FIMP and simulating "solo" lane by muting all other items but that is really wonky and some nasty hacks are there to make it work with comping etc)

This is the closest you will get to ProTools Playlist
Sexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 06:16 PM   #342
thermos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexan View Post
It requires prerelease since it uses crucial feature to make/show lanes (and it is on landoleet but in old folder).

I'm working against the prerelease so when update comes there I update the script also (and don't need to make the whole script after the feature is live). When the feature gets in stable reaper I will be announcing it.

For now it cant be done without the feature that is in prerelease (I've done my system before with FIMP and simulating "solo" lane by muting all other items but that is really wonky and some nasty hacks are there to make it work with comping etc)

This is the closest you will get to ProTools Playlist
Sadly still can't get it to work with the latest dev release. Your scripts show up in the ? prompt, but do nothing.
Old 05-18-2022, 11:02 PM   #343
Sexan

Please write in the script thread. Its probably like other users did not install all the requirements.
Sexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 05:07 PM   #344
thermos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexan View Post
Please write in the script thread. Its probably like other users did not install all the requirements.
Actually it looks like the command window was popping up behind the ? prompt. I see it now! I'm excited to give it a whirl.