Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 05-16-2022, 02:40 AM   #1
skylar_battles
Human being with feelings

Default Where is MIDI Pitch Wheel Information Stored?

I have an instance of ReaSamplOmatic5000 with an 808 on it that I set for the pitch bend (maximum) to be 12 semitones so I can do octave pitch bends while recording.

I recorded a take and was then looking to fine tune my performance of the pitch bends in the MIDI editor but didn't see any option to make any changes to how I performed them during a take I played and recorded. There must be a way edit pitch bend information on MIDI after the fact of recording, or to simply write in your MIDI and to then add the pitch bends in the MIDI editor without having to perform them.

Can someone enlighten me as to how to do this?

Last edited by skylar_battles; 05-16-2022 at 03:08 AM.
skylar_battles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 10:12 AM   #2
Never

Midi editor bot left dropdown menu probably is set to velocity by default...change it there.
Never is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 12:24 PM   #3
skylar_battles

The first thing I thought was to check that dropdown menu and unfortunately the parameter I'm looking for is not there. Does it need to be added somehow or is there another approach that I should take in order to do what I'm trying to achieve in the MIDI editor?
Old 05-16-2022, 12:38 PM   #4
lunker

You don't see a lane named something like "Pitch" in the list? It should be fairly close to the top of the list.

Perhaps you can try selecting "Lanes with events" at the top of the list, and see which lanes have events. If you recorded pitchbend data, it should hopefully show up in that list.

Last edited by lunker; 05-16-2022 at 12:48 PM.
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 01:54 PM   #5
skylar_battles

Pitch is an option in the following list but it does not correlate to pitch bend on MIDI.

Would you mind elaborating on the other method? I don't quite understand how to do that and I'd love to give it a try.

Last edited by skylar_battles; 11-25-2022 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-16-2022, 04:23 PM   #6
lunker

Hi. Sorry I’m on my phone right now (i.e., no Reaper), so I can’t post any screenshots…

With the screenshot you posted, on my PC, right above “Velocity” I have a line that says something like “Lanes with events” and if I click on it, it shows which lanes have events/data. I don’t recall if there is an option to turn that feature on/off, or if it is always there and you just didn’t notice it.

Another thing you could try is to add ReaControlMIDI as the first FX on track, open its log, arm the track for recording, and move just the pitch wheel. See what shows up in the MIDI log. (hopefully pitchbend data). If the log shows something other than pitchbend, let us know what it is.
Old 05-16-2022, 04:55 PM   #7
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker View Post
Another thing you could try is to add ReaControlMIDI as the first FX on track, open its log, arm the track for recording, and move just the pitch wheel. See what shows up in the MIDI log. (hopefully pitchbend data). If the log shows something other than pitchbend, let us know what it is.
I just tried this, and it shows as "pitchwheel"
Interesting
Old 05-16-2022, 04:58 PM   #8
richie43

I also just checked that drop down menu in the midi editor, and "Pitch" is one of the lanes listed with events. Would any of this data be different if a plugin isn't reporting properly, or is it universal? I suppose that it has nothing to do with the plugin loaded, and about the hardware controller.
Old 05-17-2022, 05:57 AM   #9
lunker

Yes, I am kind of thinking that maybe the OP's hardware controller is sending something other than pitchbend data. I can't think of a good reason why it would do that.

It would be good to see what the OP says is being recorded when they use the pitchwheel.

I also wonder if *maybe* the pitchbend data is being recorded on one channel, but the OP has the MIDI editor filter set to show a different channel, so the lane looks empty when it really isn't. (I can't count how many times I have done that)

To the OP: Another thing you can try is to view the MIDI item in the event list viewer instead of the piano roll. Maybe that will give you a better view of what events are being recorded.
Old 05-17-2022, 06:55 AM   #10
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylar_battles View Post
Pitch is an option in the following list but it does not correlate to pitch bend on MIDI.
where is the list you posted from?

it doesn't correspond to the dropdown in the event lanes, as referenced above?
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 07:00 AM   #11
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
I also just checked that drop down menu in the midi editor, and "Pitch" is one of the lanes listed with events. Would any of this data be different if a plugin isn't reporting properly, or is it universal? I suppose that it has nothing to do with the plugin loaded, and about the hardware controller.
it's part of reaper & the MIDI standard. It has nothing to do with what plugins are loaded or what hardware is connected - everyone should have the same list.
Whether a particular plugin or hardware controller makes use of them or not is a different issue.
Old 05-17-2022, 07:08 AM   #12
mozart999uk

Do you have the SWS extensions installed?

If so, select your midi item and open up the midi editor.

go to the actions list (press "?") and Type "show used" in the filter box at the top.

In the box below, you should see a script called "SWS/BR: show only used CC lanes"

Select that and then at the bottom of the actions window select "run".

Does your pitch bend info now show up in a lane at the bottom of the midi editor?
mozart999uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 07:57 PM   #13
skylar_battles

Thanks for the responses and advice from everyone. I’m going to do my best to address everything so I can find a solution.

I realized when reading through the entire thread that I may have been looking at the wrong menu when given the first simple suggestion by Never. The picture of the list of options on a dropdown menu that I shared was the “Color:” option from the MIDI editor. Never, could you tell me what the “Midi editor bot left dropdown menu” is so I can try that? I guess the dropdown that I changed just changes the colors but not the function.

Given that I’m looking at the wrong menu and solution is probably very simple, I’ll hold off on attempting the ReaControlMIDI method until I at least correctly attempt what would be easiest to address my situation, as I’m looking forward for someone to clarify what this menu is!

For reference as I said, I’m simply using Splice samples in ReaSamplOmatic5000 and a MIDIPLUS AK490 as a MIDI controller. The MIDI controller must be sending the pitch bend information as it shows up in the event list as “Pitch Bend.”

I do have SWS extensions so I tried what mozart999uk suggested and it did work! I’m just unsure of why that lane would not automatically show up as there is pitch bend data recorded in the performance. I imagine this would not being necessary after I figure out the simple way to do this via the menu which I can’t quite figure out.

Thanks to everyone who is offering their time to help me and I look forward to hearing your thoughts and advice.
Old 05-17-2022, 10:15 PM   #14
lunker

If you haven't already, try looking at Chapter 13 in the User Guide (https://www.reaper.fm/userguide/ReaperUserGuide657e.pdf)

Especially page 221, which shows where the "CC Select Dropdown" menu is, which is where you would select the pitch lane. Pages 223-225 have additional information about CC lanes.
Old 05-18-2022, 12:25 AM   #15
skylar_battles

Thanks so much! I read some of the chapter and have a better understanding of what I was confused about. I was just a right-click away!

Last edited by skylar_battles; 05-18-2022 at 12:39 AM.
Old 05-18-2022, 01:13 AM   #16
mozart999uk

Quote:

I do have SWS extensions so I tried what mozart999uk suggested and it did work! I’m just unsure of why that lane would not automatically show up as there is pitch bend data recorded in the performance. I imagine this would not being necessary after I figure out the simple way to do this via the menu which I can’t quite figure out.
Glad it helped. So yes the midi editor doesn't show all used lanes by default. You could either add a keyboard shortcut to that SWS action and use it every time you need to see just the data that you have recorded, or, if you want this to happen every time you open the midi editor, you can set up a custom action so that when you open the editor, that script runs. :-)
Old 05-19-2022, 01:13 AM   #17
skylar_battles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart999uk View Post
Glad it helped. So yes the midi editor doesn't show all used lanes by default. You could either add a keyboard shortcut to that SWS action and use it every time you need to see just the data that you have recorded, or, if you want this to happen every time you open the midi editor, you can set up a custom action so that when you open the editor, that script runs. :-)
Yes that would be a great action to set up! I posted a screenshot of where I am. I tried to create a custom action but did't see an option in the filter to be "when MIDI editor is opened" so not sure how to do this.

Also which of the two actions in the screenshot would you recommend using? What constitutes a "selected event"?

Last edited by skylar_battles; 11-25-2022 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-19-2022, 05:44 AM   #18
domzy

Quote:
Also which of the two actions in the screenshot would you recommend using? What constitutes a "selected event"?
a selected event is a thing that's been highlighted, so like a note blob in the midi editor that you've clicked on, for example.

so it depends on whether you want to see the CCs for everything in the item or just the stuff currently selected.
Old 05-19-2022, 06:20 AM   #19
mozart999uk

Quote:
Yes that would be a great action to set up! I posted a screenshot of where I am. I tried to create a custom action but did't see an option in the filter to be "when MIDI editor is opened" so not sure how to do this.

For a very basic way of doing this:

Open the actions window, go down to the bottom right, click "new action " and select "new custom action".

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uf3zhwt057...ction.png?dl=0

Then create your custom action as per this screen shot:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4o2eknwupf...ction.png?dl=0

Find the action using the filter list then drag it across to the white pane on the right.

Click "OK".

Then go to "options / preferences" and on the left select "mouse modifiers". Change "context" to "media item" and then select "double click"

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2jpngbi0y8...prefs.png?dl=0

Next to "default action" under "behaviour" double click whatever is there and choose "action list".

In the actions window that pops up, use the filter to search for the custom action you created earlier.

Highlight it and at the bottom right choose "select / close".

When you get back to the Mouse Modifiers window click "apply" then "ok"

It's very basic and there's lots more you can do using scripting (I've got zoom settings and lane heights all set up for example) but this should get you started.

Any problems, holler :-)

Last edited by mozart999uk; 05-19-2022 at 06:21 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-21-2022, 11:19 PM   #20
skylar_battles

I really appreciate all the time and thoughtfulness you put into your response! And also the screenshots

I was having a weird issue prior where when opening a new project where the pitch lane would automatically show up when first opening the midi editor in addition to the velocity lane. I wasn't sure if I accidentally saved my default template incorrectly or if it was how I last ran that action but needless to say I figured it out how to make this behavior stopped taking place.

Looking at how much space it takes up in the MIDI editor, I decided that it may not be necessary and I'd prefer to just select when I'd like to see those CC messages. I did follow along with all the info you provided which was very helpful so now I have a much better an idea of how to set up a custom action like that. I wouldn't have thought to go to mouser modifiers within preferences.
Old 05-23-2022, 01:26 AM   #21
mozart999uk

No worries at all. Glad it's been helpful. :-)

Not sure if you've done so but look at FTC's scripts for the editor.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....i+editor+magic

FTC has written some great scripts to do with zooming and scrolling in the editor.

And of course Julian's amazing scripts.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....t=JS+midi+tool
Old 05-24-2022, 09:50 PM   #22
skylar_battles

Wow I just read through those entire threads about the scripts and am amazed by how valuable the functionality looks! Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-25-2022, 12:50 AM   #23
mozart999uk

Quote:
Wow I just read through those entire threads about the scripts and am amazed by how valuable the functionality looks! Thanks for sharing.
Pleasure :-)