Old 08-27-2009, 04:46 AM   #1
Beretta
Human being with feelings

Default Drum wav files in Reaper

Up until now, I have been using a different program (a step sequencer) to record my drum tracks and my VSTi tracks (bass, keybords, orchestral parts) and then saving each track as a wav file and dragging it into Reaper, then recording the guitar parts.

However I've just today started looking at Reaper's VSTi ability, and it looks promising.

One thing I still know nothing about, is whether or not Reaper can sequence using drum wav files. Can it?
Beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:17 AM   #2
EvilDragon

You can use MIDI Editor in Diamond or Triangle view mode to the same extent as a step seq.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:19 PM   #3
Captain Damage

Do a forum search for "readrum." It's a template stack of Reasamplomatic5000 sampler vstis that you can load your favorite drum samples into.
Captain Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:08 PM   #4
labyrinth

Or if you need more elaborate (layered) drum sounds...you can get many 3rd party VSTi drums free. for ex. Yellow Tools Independence Free and Blue Noise MyDrumset.

Both are very nice.

Also, be sure to 'Humanize' your drums a bit (it's now a feature built into the MIDI editor).
Old 08-29-2009, 02:51 AM   #5
Beretta

OK, so Reaper can't do it? I can get into the MIDI editor and use the triangle view fine, but there's no facility there to use wav files from my hard drive. If not, I'll just keep doing what I'm doing now.

Last edited by Beretta; 08-29-2009 at 03:11 AM.
Beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:01 AM   #6
Captain Damage

Wait, are you trying to drop wav files from your hdd into the midi editor? No that doesn't work. You need to load the wav files into a sampler (like Reasamplomatic5000) and use the midi editor to control the sampler.

The closest to what I think you're trying to do would be to create a separate audio track for each drum and drop your wav files into those. You'd have to copy/paste or drag a new copy of the file each time you want to place a new instance of it. Much easier to set up a sampler and use midi to trigger the hits imo.

Midi and audio are completely different things. While the developers of reaper and other daws take steps to make it appear that the line between midi and audio is blurry, this is really a deliberate illusion to help some types of workflow. Audio (wav) is the actual recording of your sound. Midi is descriptive data only. A midi signal contains information like what note was pressed (or entered in the midi editor) and how hard. You can use this data to control how a sampler plays back your wav file, but there is no audio (sound) whatsoever in the midi signal.

E.g., I have a track with Reasamplomatic5000 set to play a kick drum wav whenever the note C2 is played. So I go to my midi editor and put a triangle on C2 at beats 1 and 3 of the measure. I've got another instance of Resamplomatic5000 (on the same track) set to play a snare sound when D2 is played. So I put a triangle on D2, beats 2 and 4, play it back and I've got a basic backbeat. My basic drum track has 15 instances of Resamplomatic5000, each plays a different drum sound on a different note. This was expanded from Readrum. Start with Readrum rather than trying to do a 15-drum-stack from scratch so a good bit of the work is already done for you.

There are other samplers/drum machine vstis available, many for free. Many of them put many samplers in one instance of the vsti which may be an easier way for you to work. Some have pre-loaded sounds, some let you load your own sounds.
Captain Damage is offline   Reply With Quote