Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

View Poll Results: Do you need "zoom to quarter"?
Yes, I need "zoom to quarter" 2 100.00%
No, I won't use it. I don't zoom anyway. 0 0%
I don't know. 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2018, 12:24 AM   #1
enroe
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 589
Default [suggestion: Zoom] Zoom to quarter

Feature: "Zoom to a quarter of the whole project"

This is a missing action in native Reaper.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Why?
--------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reaper we have the two actions
"zoom out" which shows the whole project, and
"zoom to time-selection" which zooms - what is says -
to the current time-selection.

But there is nothing in between. If you want to zoom to
a certain part, but not so close at "time-selection"
because you want to see the items before and after. It
is important for the investigation of a part of the whole
project without looking too close at time-selection or
at single items. There there is no action for the "medium
zoom level 'quarter'".

Of course you can use "rightmouse marquee-select"+
"zoom to selected items". Or you can use "marquee
zoom" or the Navigator.

But for all these you must engage your mouse, so it
doesn't fit into the fast "one Keycommand only"-ergonomy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Benefit
--------------------------------------------------------------------

With a "zoom to quarter"-action it would be very easy
and fast to zoom to a part of the project, which is needed
very often IMO.

I think this should be a native action - available also without
SWS.
__________________
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs and weird stuff: enroe.de
enroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 12:43 PM   #2
spk77
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Finland
Posts: 2,668
Default

Voted "Yes", but this is actually very easy to script (and you can save multiple versions of it with different zoom levels):

Code:
local zoom_level = 0.25 -- (quarter of project length)

function zoom()
  local cursor_pos = reaper.GetCursorPosition()
  local arr_start, arr_end = reaper.GetSet_ArrangeView2(0, false, 0, 0)
  local new_arr_length = reaper.GetProjectLength(0) * zoom_level
  reaper.GetSet_ArrangeView2(0, true, 0, 0, cursor_pos - (0.5*new_arr_length), cursor_pos + (0.5*new_arr_length))
end

reaper.defer(zoom)
spk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:41 AM   #3
enroe
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 589
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spk77 View Post
Voted "Yes", but this is actually very easy to script (and you can save multiple versions of it with different zoom levels):

Code:
local zoom_level = 0.25 -- (quarter of project length)

function zoom()
  local cursor_pos = reaper.GetCursorPosition()
  local arr_start, arr_end = reaper.GetSet_ArrangeView2(0, false, 0, 0)
  local new_arr_length = reaper.GetProjectLength(0) * zoom_level
  reaper.GetSet_ArrangeView2(0, true, 0, 0, cursor_pos - (0.5*new_arr_length), cursor_pos + (0.5*new_arr_length))
end

reaper.defer(zoom)
Wooah, thank you - I will check your script!
__________________
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs and weird stuff: enroe.de
enroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 12:03 PM   #4
spk77
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Finland
Posts: 2,668
Default

I hope it works for you
The version I posted zooms to edit cursor, but it's possible to make it zoom to the center of current arrange view.
spk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 12:10 PM   #5
spk77
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Finland
Posts: 2,668
Default

This one zooms to the center of current view:

Code:
local zoom_level = 0.25 -- (quarter of project length)

function zoom()
  local arr_start, arr_end = reaper.GetSet_ArrangeView2(0, false, 0, 0)
  local center_of_view = arr_start + 0.5*(arr_end - arr_start)
  local new_arr_length = reaper.GetProjectLength(0) * zoom_level
  reaper.GetSet_ArrangeView2(0, true, 0, 0, center_of_view - (0.5*new_arr_length), center_of_view + (0.5*new_arr_length))
end

reaper.defer(zoom)
spk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:24 AM   #6
enroe
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 589
Default

@spk77:

Thank you!

It works perfectly well - and of course the
one which scrolls to the edit-cursor fits
best to my workflow.

A small script - but a big step!

Obviously your script devalues this feature
request. But nevertheless - for a new user
it is very confusing not to find the proper
zoom action. He might think that Reaper
lacks a very basic function.
__________________
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs and weird stuff: enroe.de
enroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:19 AM   #7
spk77
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Finland
Posts: 2,668
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by enroe View Post
@spk77:

Thank you!

It works perfectly well - and of course the
one which scrolls to the edit-cursor fits
best to my workflow.

A small script - but a big step!
Glad it works for you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by enroe View Post
Obviously your script devalues this feature
request. But nevertheless - for a new user
it is very confusing not to find the proper
zoom action. He might think that Reaper
lacks a very basic function.
I completely agree
spk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.