Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 08-20-2019, 09:17 AM   #1
JabbaTheZlutt
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper Randomly Freezing/Locking Up When Recording/Playback

Here’s a video that kind of captures what’s happening. I’ll be listening or recording, and then all of a sudden there a few quick pops then everything cuts out but the meters are still going (but they’re glitched as you can see). What temporarily fixes it is to unplug the usb for the interface (scarlet solo) and then plug it back in, which I do in the video. I tried updating my drivers and reaper but the problem persists. Sometimes I’ll even get a blue screen of death and need to restart, but this isn’t too common. I’ve been using reaper for a year with the same exact setup and only just started encountering this problem a month or two ago. It’s really frustrating when it ruins takes. My computer is a stock Dell G3 15, so it's a powerful enough machine for my projects which are relatively simple. I don’t know if this is relevant, but it’s the only setting I’ve changed for my cpu - in the processor power management I set the max power to 90% to limit the intel turbo boost, because some applications I use trigger the boost every second so my computer would overheat really fast. This keeps the core temperatures at reasonable levels and I haven’t noticed any loss of performance (except for maybe this reaper issue). I haven’t disabled the turbo boost entirely via BIOS. I think my ASIO buffer is 128. I’ve thought about uninstalling reaper/reinstalling but I’m not sure if that’d delete all my projects. I’ve also thought about maybe a bad plugin somewhere is causing the issue. Help?

https://youtu.be/O1weLYkeYzk
JabbaTheZlutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:36 PM   #2
Rick Settle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaTheZlutt View Post
Here’s a video that kind of captures what’s happening. I’ll be listening or recording, and then all of a sudden there a few quick pops then everything cuts out but the meters are still going (but they’re glitched as you can see). What temporarily fixes it is to unplug the usb for the interface (scarlet solo) and then plug it back in, which I do in the video. I tried updating my drivers and reaper but the problem persists. Sometimes I’ll even get a blue screen of death and need to restart, but this isn’t too common. I’ve been using reaper for a year with the same exact setup and only just started encountering this problem a month or two ago. It’s really frustrating when it ruins takes. My computer is a stock Dell G3 15, so it's a powerful enough machine for my projects which are relatively simple. I don’t know if this is relevant, but it’s the only setting I’ve changed for my cpu - in the processor power management I set the max power to 90% to limit the intel turbo boost, because some applications I use trigger the boost every second so my computer would overheat really fast. This keeps the core temperatures at reasonable levels and I haven’t noticed any loss of performance (except for maybe this reaper issue). I haven’t disabled the turbo boost entirely via BIOS. I think my ASIO buffer is 128. I’ve thought about uninstalling reaper/reinstalling but I’m not sure if that’d delete all my projects. I’ve also thought about maybe a bad plugin somewhere is causing the issue. Help?

https://youtu.be/O1weLYkeYzk
That could be caused by the CPU overheating.
Rick Settle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:23 PM   #3
JabbaTheZlutt

When Reaper itself is running, the CPU isn't getting hot. Only during other applications. What should I try doing?

I'll try running core temp while using Reaper to check for sudden temperature spikes to see if those occur at all when experiencing the bug.

Last edited by JabbaTheZlutt; 08-21-2019 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:00 PM   #4
Outboarder

I had the the same problem, Could be resampling issue.
Keep all the media files at the same sample rate It will be fixed.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:35 AM   #5
JabbaTheZlutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outboarder View Post
I had the the same problem, Could be resampling issue.
Keep all the media files at the same sample rate It will be fixed.
I'll try that. Is there a way of quickly/easily setting every file in a project to the same sample rate? Every file I check has a sample rate of 48k but I'm wondering if there might be one odd file that for some reason has a different setting. On my driver settings I have it set to the proper ASIO and I have the box checked that allows projects to override the device sample rate. I'll try unchecking the box for pre-zeroing the input buffers and check the box to request a sample rate of 48k (which should be redundant, but it might be a software bug where it behaves differently).

Last edited by JabbaTheZlutt; 09-02-2019 at 12:45 AM.