ElectricSloth
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper MIDI playback Glitches & Freezes

Steps to reproduce:
Use Apple AU Sampler in Reaper to play back MIDI tracks using .exs instruments

Expected behaviour:
Normal playback

Actual behaviour:
1. Under the following circumstances, Timbre becomes weird and sine-wave like. Instruments sound similar to how they should, but do not decay the way they should, instead sustaining consistently until the MIDI note ends. This happens when:
a. The project is first opened
b. I try to render (File>Render). This behaviour is not caused if I Bounce instead (FIle>Bounce)
This behaviour is fixed temporarily when I reload the appropriate .exs file into the AU Sampler (Gear Icon>Load .EXS Instrument from file).
2. Once the sound is fixed, playback stutters and glitches during playback, but only if the MIDI Editor is open. Otherwise it sounds ok.
3. Sometimes (seemingly randomly, but perhaps only when several tracks are playing back simultaneously (I'm using a maximum of 5 at a time)), reaper will freeze. My CPU usage goes through the roof and cooling fan kicks off. Reaper is unresponsive indefinitely and must be force closed, losing any unsaved data. No bug report appears, since it is force closed, not crashed.

System Specs:
- OSX 10.13.6
- Reaper v5.982 rev 833615
- No external MIDI Hardware
These issues have been occurring for about a year, during which time I have gone through all the regular updates of both OSX and Reaper.

Last edited by ElectricSloth; 08-21-2019 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Added system specs
ElectricSloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 01:05 PM   #2
ElectricSloth
Human being with feelings

Default Complete Crash

When loading specific .exs instruments (under the same circumstances as above), Reaper crashes completely. This happened for me loading Basses Legato.exs and Basses.exs, both from the Orchestra section in Logic. Other exs files from the same section (e.g. Cellos.exs) do not cause an immediate crash, but do suffer from the problems described in OP.

Attached is a bug report from one such crash, while loading the exs instruments.
Attached Files
File Type: txt crash_report.txt (90.7 KB, 80 views)
ElectricSloth is offline   Reply With Quote