Old 04-17-2016, 01:32 PM   #1
TheLongArm
Human being with feelings

Default Solution? Copy/Move regions only on selected tracks

Hi,
I've searched the forums as much as I can for a workaround for this, and posted in the general forums, and now I think it's time to ask the wizards for any suggestions/solutions/workarounds for my predicament

Is there any nice way to move or duplicate regions but only affecting selected tracks?

I really like how regions work for structuring and organizing material, but it would be so nice to be able to just ctrl+click to select tracks and then ctrl+drag on the region to create variations and compositions.

Thanks
TheLongArm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 03:19 AM   #2
X-Raym

hi,

check this thread
Script: Region (aka folder) items - Cockos Confederated Forums
and ask for your feature, wtih "selected items" instead of selected regions.

Indeed, creating regions from items is really more flexible as we can actually slect items and not regions. :P

Hope it helps !
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:32 AM   #3
TheLongArm

Thanks for that Raymond,
It looks interesting but I'm having trouble installing it, and it looks like it might make workflow more complicated than what I'm looking for, but I will try and get it going and ask for the request on that thread

Maybe a better way for me to describe it is to exclude or 'lock' unselected tracks while moving or duplicating regions, rather than grouping things together.
And some of the regions have many many items so it's easier for me to make a time selection into a region, then move the regions, instead of adding blank items which encapsulate them...anyway, I'm rambling. Thanks again!
Old 04-18-2016, 08:52 AM   #4
inspired

Thanks to X-Raym for suggesting my script

The equivalent of regions in that script is a track whose title begins with an asterisk (*SONG in the example gif in the script's thread)

The supported action right now is selecting/copying all tracks. I guess i could add a feature to work with current track selection (and select all tracks if there is no track selection).

Tell me if that's what you need, or any other suggestions/questions
Old 04-18-2016, 09:09 AM   #5
X-Tech

I recommend this Inspired's script. This is work - it makes "region like" on parent folder items. Usage is easy select item and use action to copy regions into empty samely named items on track.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:18 AM   #6
TheLongArm

Thanks Inspired and X-Tech!

@inspired - just to clarify, would I have to make an extra 'master parent' track called 'song', and then create empty items on that track which then 'encapsulate' all the tracks underneath it?
The reason I ask is because I already have lots of projects with regions, but if your method is that simple it is easy enough for me to convert them, and it looks like a very nice implementation
If that is the case and you are able to add a feature to work with current track selection then I would be very happy
Old 04-18-2016, 09:56 AM   #7
X-Tech

I using standard regions in Reaper for arrange and item "regions" for custom elements in Reaper regions. Each fill purpose 100%. I wondering what is reason to make item "regions" on master if regons of Reaper actually complete needs totally for arrange purpose. I can suggest to use one track and just input other tracks under (as children) - maybe this help temporarly.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:07 PM   #8
inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongArm View Post
Thanks Inspired and X-Tech!

@inspired - just to clarify, would I have to make an extra 'master parent' track called 'song', and then create empty items on that track which then 'encapsulate' all the tracks underneath it?
The reason I ask is because I already have lots of projects with regions, but if your method is that simple it is easy enough for me to convert them, and it looks like a very nice implementation
If that is the case and you are able to add a feature to work with current track selection then I would be very happy
Any track whose title begins with an asterisk will act as reaper regions. You'll create empty items there, and running the "Region item select" will select all items on that region item time edges.
Another usage is to create empty items on a parent folder track. With that you'll be able to select all the items of its children tracks.

There is also another special naming, besides asterisk (*), the (>). If you name a track ">5" you'll be able to select items of the next 5 tracks. Maybe that will suit you, if you group your desired tracks together.

Check out the script thread for a demo gif. It'll also be easy to have "mirror/pooled" kinda regions. Make changes on 1, and then update all the same named regions.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:40 AM   #9
TheLongArm

Thanks @inspired, I got it working and it's very nice.
It would be great if you could consider adding a feature to work with current track selection for a future update. I'm working with quite dense and complicated projects, often for game audio and sound design combined, so it would be much faster for me to use currently selected tracks instead of renaming or parenting other tracks.
But thanks for your efforts, I really appreciate it
Old 04-19-2016, 04:02 AM   #10
X-Raym

+1 for the version with selected tracks :P
would be more flexible
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:34 PM   #11
inspired

I've added the feature. Check it out

Special tracks whose title begin with "*" now obey track selection. They will only select across selected tracks (will normally select ALL tracks if no tracks -except for itself- are selected)