Old 06-09-2015, 12:58 PM   #1
sparkyb
Human being with feelings

Default Can I support other file types in Insert Media File?

I've got midi files that have a custom file extension. Even if I browse "All Files" and open it, Reaper doesn't seem to know (based on the contents) to import it like a midi file. So currently, any time I want to edit one in Reaper I have to rename it to .mid, edit it, and then rename it back. This is super annoying.

Is there any way to tell Reaper to treat my custom extension as a midi file? If not, is it possible to write a hook to handle that additional extension myself in a plugin or script? Seems like something like that could be useful even though my use case is much simpler than the general case of supported a new media type.
sparkyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 03:06 AM   #2
Xenakios

I think it would be easiest to request Cockos add support for it directly, at least if it's something that is relatively widely used...(I recently asked for support for .amb files which are really just wav-files with a different extension and sometimes slightly different header data than usual. Cockos added support for that fairly quickly.)

I am not sure how involved it would be to write an extension plugin in C++ to support custom MIDI files. It should be possible though. (Adding new audio file format support is relatively easy as far as the Reaper specific stuff is concerned.)
Old 06-15-2015, 11:34 AM   #3
sparkyb

Sorry, I wouldn't actually want these files supported natively. It is a custom internal thing just at this company.
sparkyb is offline   Reply With Quote