Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 04-14-2010, 07:35 AM   #161
Dannii
Human being with feelings

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

This is a wonderful theme and has inspired me to start tweaking in Photoshop. I've done a few mods to this one to suit my personal tastes and have sent Khorus a PM to see if he is OK with me posting my mods on his theme. If so, I have everything zipped up ready to add to the forum.

Who knows, I might even get creative and start on my own theme some day soon. I realise this is only scratching the surface of what is possible with Reaper (eagerly awaiting Shane's ProTools mods) but the fact that Reaper is so productive and stable AND so customisable is very inspiring.

My mods to Marc's theme are mainly colour scheme related but some of the other tweaks include:

* Made the transport control LED's light up brighter when "on"
* Enhanced the colour states of the record monitoring buttons and added speaker 'glow' when record monitoring is on
* Changed the background gradients and font style on the media items
* Added outlines to the waveform and midi displays
* Changed the i/o button text to "io" (I like Marc's io 'power style' logo but it looked too much like a 'power' on/off button to me but that's just personal preference).

Here's a couple of screen shots from my laptop (click pics for full screen view).....

Reamarc-DanniMod1 (deep purple waveforms)

Reamarc-DanniMod2 (deep blue waveforms)

Old 04-14-2010, 10:09 AM   #162
lawrs

Since Dannii is allowed to show off...

* slip(green) / ripple(red) / group toolbar (purple) 1st toolbar
* grid toggle (blue) 2nd toolbar
* spot toggle (orange) 3rd toolbar

* changed track panel's "io" "env" & "fx" to reduce similarity with mute and solo buttons

* mixer insert and send empty slots have indicator when mouse over , just to reduce guessing confusion (credits to apollo skin creator for the fonts..)

* master track insert and sends empty slots have white font as by default it is black

* insert and sends list background lightened to improve visibility

* selected track now doesn't change the track color, but has a yellow outline border. Track on mixer also gets the yellow border outline.

* selected item now lighter than default Khorus's . I felt it was a little dark by default. Added a yellow border outline to improve visibility too.

Until I get permission from Khorus I don't think it would be right to share it with everyone, though I would very much love to.. :/

Last edited by lawrs; 08-18-2010 at 08:30 PM.
lawrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 04:21 AM   #163
g8torcliff

Since Marc hasn't been 'round since last August, is this theme and/or any mods to it "dead in the water"? I like these last two by Dannii and Lawrs but will they ever be allowed to put them up for grabs?

Wondering...

cliff
g8torcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:15 AM   #164
RussUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8torcliff View Post
Since Marc hasn't been 'round since last August, is this theme and/or any mods to it "dead in the water"? I like these last two by Dannii and Lawrs but will they ever be allowed to put them up for grabs?

Wondering...

cliff
I thought this was a free-for-all and allowed didn't enter into it?
Old 04-15-2010, 08:16 AM   #165
RussUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannii View Post
This is a wonderful theme and has inspired me to start tweaking in Photoshop. I've done a few mods to this one to suit my personal tastes and have sent Khorus a PM to see if he is OK with me posting my mods on his theme. If so, I have everything zipped up ready to add to the forum.

Who knows, I might even get creative and start on my own theme some day soon. I realise this is only scratching the surface of what is possible with Reaper (eagerly awaiting Shane's ProTools mods) but the fact that Reaper is so productive and stable AND so customisable is very inspiring.

My mods to Marc's theme are mainly colour scheme related but some of the other tweaks include:

* Made the transport control LED's light up brighter when "on"
* Enhanced the colour states of the record monitoring buttons and added speaker 'glow' when record monitoring is on
* Changed the background gradients and font style on the media items
* Added outlines to the waveform and midi displays
* Changed the i/o button text to "io" (I like Marc's io 'power style' logo but it looked too much like a 'power' on/off button to me but that's just personal preference).

Here's a couple of screen shots from my laptop (click pics for full screen view).....

Reamarc-DanniMod1 (deep purple waveforms)

Reamarc-DanniMod2 (deep blue waveforms)

I love these Danni, more what PT8 could have been.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:08 AM   #166
g8torcliff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussUK View Post
I thought this was a free-for-all and allowed didn't enter into it?
I don't really know about that...

but, these are really nice themes though...

cliff
g8torcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:07 AM   #167
shanabit

I dont get this reverence to the original themer here???

Any theme here should be far game for others to expound upon or improve as they see fit. Its the culmination of all the ideas that will make a GREAT theme, of which I have NOT yet seen.
shanabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:30 PM   #168
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Its just good manners - optional, unenforced and utterly laudable. You either get that or you don't, depends what kind of a person you are.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:35 PM   #169
RussUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
Its just good manners - optional, unenforced and utterly laudable. You either get that or you don't, depends what kind of a person you are.
Reverence and permission ain't the same thing. It has nothing to do with what kind of person someone is and this shouldn't be turned into some kind of ethical court.

No one is stealing this, just wanting to grow an organic venture.

Last edited by RussUK; 04-15-2010 at 12:41 PM.
RussUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:35 PM   #170
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree on that, because I think it is an ethical thing. If someone has created a Reaper theme from scratch, even if you, me and everyone else thinks its utter crap, the one thing that can be said for absolute certainty is that it has taken an enormous investment of unpaid time.

I don't have strong feelings either way on whether I personally am credited when someone reworks a theme I've done, but that credit would be nice. However, I would like to believe that if someone (not me) made a theme and said "This time, guys, I'd appreciate it if no one publicly chopped this one about and instead just left it as is" that the Reaper community would respect those wishes. Just to be nice.

On the other hand, if a themer has done some work that someone else considers to be good enough to be worthy of reworking, then by the same token that themer deserves some credit, again, just to be nice.

The best situation for a constant flow of consistently updated themes of increasing quality is a well motivated and supported community of talented themers. Reverence is obviously going to far, but the impulse seems well intentioned to me

EDIT I've just read the thread properly and realised I've missed the point - apologies - I was originally just sent a link to a single post, very lazy of me, sorry.

Last edited by White Tie; 04-15-2010 at 03:19 PM.
White Tie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:43 PM   #171
RussUK

Quote:
Well, we'll have to agree to disagree on that, because I think it is an ethical thing. If someone has created a Reaper theme from scratch, even if you, me and everyone else thinks its utter crap, the one thing that can be said for absolute certainty is that it has taken an enormous investment of unpaid time.
I know all about the world of 'enormous investment of unpaid time' so I'm not speaking from a position of ignorance, as AVID's unofficial FREE training and support mechanism at the blog!

Quote:
EDIT I've just read the thread properly and realised I've missed the point - apologies - I was originally just sent a link to a single post, very lazy of me, sorry.
Not necessary, but appreciated.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:56 PM   #172
Draulym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannii View Post
This is a wonderful theme and has inspired me to start tweaking in Photoshop. I've done a few mods to this one to suit my personal tastes and have sent Khorus a PM to see if he is OK with me posting my mods on his theme. If so, I have everything zipped up ready to add to the forum.....
They're cool, can't wait 'til you post them up Danni

Last edited by Draulym; 04-15-2010 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Grammer saves lives!!
Draulym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:33 PM   #173
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

OK guys and girls, given the general consensus here, I have done some further work to these mods and have uploaded them HERE.