Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 07-04-2020, 03:40 AM   #1
Lophophora
Human being with feelings

Default Assigning MIDI learn on the go: possible?

I don't have a lot of experience using my MIDI controller keyboard. I have successfully assigned a few parameters to the transport buttons on my Akai MPK49. I can assign faders and knobs for mixing but having this set in stone doesn't help my workflow.

What I'd like to do is quickly assign a parameter to a knob or fader, without necessarily keep this setting any longer than the moment I'm using it. For instance, I'm fine-tuning the EQ on a vocal: I'd like to be able in 1 or 2 mouse clicks to assign this particular parameter to a particular knob, then once I'm done with that, move on to another parameter.

I'm sure this is possible but I haven't found how to do it yet. Can anyone point me to the right steps?
Lophophora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 12:41 AM   #2
daniellumertz

What I do for fast assign is put this action in a shortcut then move an knob and done
FX: Set MIDI learn for last touched FX parameter

Tip: if you use some key like F9 it will not matter if the focus is on the FX. I used to use K for that but have to focus on reaper, things like f1f2f3 are bypassed to reaper

for assign an knob/slider of reaper fast i'm looking for the solution
daniellumertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 03:32 AM   #3
mschnell

If you also have buttons that can be used to switch between different assignments, the Reaper extension might be a way to go. See the "Control Surfaces subforum.
-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 01:16 AM   #4
Gwilym

I usually do it the same way as daniellumertz; I just wanted to add that if you run that same action a second time, the UI that comes up includes a 'Remove' button, which means you can quickly unbind the parameter when you're done.

So basically:
-touch a parameter
-run the shortcut, move the controller, press enter
-tweak the parameter
-run the shortcut, click remove

It's a lot faster than it sounds.

An even faster option: use the action "Adjust last touched FX parameter" instead, and set your MIDI controller as its shortcut. That way, any time you move that controller, it'll tweak whatever the last parameter you touched was. Just make sure the shortcut is in soft takeover mode.

I know you didn't want a set-in-stone assignment, but this is an especially flexible stone so I figured I'd mention it anyhow.

I use a mix of both options; my keyboard has four knobs and the fourth is set to adjust the latest parameter. I use MIDI Learn for the first three. Though honestly, not very often. That fourth knob does most of the work most of the time.

Last edited by Gwilym; 07-06-2020 at 01:31 AM.
Gwilym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 01:32 AM   #5
daniellumertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwilym View Post
I usually do it the same way as daniellumertz; I just wanted to add that if you run that same action a second time, the UI that comes up includes a 'Remove' button, which means you can quickly unbind the parameter when you're done.
Didn't knew that, thanks for sharing

Your other way is cool also, I will se if it fits in my workflow
daniellumertz is offline   Reply With Quote