Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 01-28-2015, 02:01 PM   #41
rdesanti
Human being with feelings

Default simple templates

New to using templates and have a a few easy questions.
What are templates used for? Just special instruments or FX?
Can templates be used for setting up a new project? Like sends for reverb, compression, etc?
I have some FX that I commonly use in most all my projects and would like to set it up so whenever I start new project they are there. Thanks guys!
--Mac Mini, 3 GHz 2 core i7 CPU, 16GB RAM, OSX Catalina V10.15.7 Crucial 1TB primary SSD, 500GB Samsung T5 SSD ext Audio drive,dual 27" displays, Reaper 64 bit latest, SSL 2+ interface, Mackie MR8 Mk 3 8" Monitors and Mackie VLZ 1404 mixer. 30 years in Audio.
rdesanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:28 PM   #42
MisterBerniman

Default Everything U want....Everything!!!

Templates in Cockos is a game changer by itself. I only know ONE DAW capable of doing this kind of template thing : Ableton but at a higher level (no-no don't laugh...).

So yes : U can set up a track (audio or MIDI...) put in Ur favorite MIDI Fx, VSTi (several U can bypass in case of...), several VST Fx, U can set up one or more items in this Track Audio (samples, loop everything U want...), U can Name it, Tint it etc-ect and save it as a template track Ok!!

But That's not ALL bro...FAR FROM IT!!!

U can save several tracks this way!! I tell U....U set up Ur Tracks the way U want them to be and save them as a template....Of course, in the file menu U can save a Project as a template so U got a whole session ready to go!!

But what if Ur client want to add a Trap Beat like in the bridge instead of his accoustic drum break he gave U firts? hu? So U got to set up a whole Trap drum kit as a template!! How can U do that? It's simple : set this all up let's say 16 audio tracks with 4 different Aux Fx tracks for Reverbs (Left and right x 2, long and slppy reverbs for example...), 4-6 tracks for Hits and Fx rise up or anything else, tint Ur tracks for visual ID, put Ur Fx on every tracks, Ur default channel strip (Eq, comp and Eq and filters and so on...), bypass them or not the way you want it, set a sampler (Reasamplomatic I don't remember the name...) to receive a midi note via the ReaControlMIDI Fx, set a MIDI track to send MIDI notes to these Tracks so U can do Ur patterns in this MIDI track put all these tracks in a Folder track, U can put Ur Aux Fx tracks off this Folder track if U want to....tint everything, make a lil' pattern, set Ur favorite enveloppe tracks and ...voilà!! Save the whole thing as a template...
And the, when a client want U to make a drum track, U just have to get Ur browser (dock it and set some screensets...another story....), get the 'track template link and here U got it : dbl click or Drag&Drop and the whole thing is ready to go...
U can do tempaltes for everything U want...

Another TIP is the ability to "apply" a template to existing tracks : let's assume U got a session with 40 tracks and U got a set of template tracks for example, one for vocals, lead vocal, BG vocals, Electric bass, one for every drum elemnt (toms, snares, Kick, Hhats, cym....), KBoards etc-ect...U can use the Ressources window (call it via the "view menu" if I'm correct...), set the "apply to semected tracks" mode and U just got to select Ur target tracks and dbl-clicl on the template and the target tracks get the settings of Ur template....

I garanty U : spend some times understanding the tools Reaper has for every producer or mixing technician and U'll get a workflow U were dreaming at before....

Believe me

If U have questions I'll be glad to give U an answer in the limit of my knowledge of course.....
MisterBerniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:05 PM   #43
hamish

Only caveat I find with TrackTemplates is that Parameter Modulations are not saved, as far as I can see.
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:00 AM   #44
MisterBerniman

Default Ooooh Nooooooooo!!!

(lol)!!

Didn't know about that : gonna try it!!
Of course, we always forget what we have : I don't remember the last time I've D&Droped a VSTi or build a drum kits!! All is templated now, in my workflow so...Sure, I have to change my channel strips sometimes, trying, experimenting some thing...
Old 01-29-2015, 07:14 AM   #45
MisterBerniman

Default Ooooooh nooooooo!!!

AH OOPS... Have just delete my post...

So yes Ive just tried it out and I can tell that U can (yes-yes...) set a modulation parameter and save it with the template (lol)!!!
Old 01-29-2015, 03:50 PM   #46
hamish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBerniman View Post
AH OOPS... Have just delete my post...

So yes Ive just tried it out and I can tell that U can (yes-yes...) set a modulation parameter and save it with the template (lol)!!!
Hmm, OK, I'll have to have another look at what my problems were. I did notice a couple of things. Good to hear that you got modulations saving with the template.

edit - I still can't find the issue I was thinking of...

Last edited by hamish; 01-29-2015 at 05:12 PM.
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 02:03 AM   #47
Treyla

Default i just made this with guy below me Template that was posted

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...53&pnref=story not a great mix but i just made it...all FL stock plugs
Treyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:14 AM   #48
spaceanimals

Default eq presets

hi

Here's my eq preset. I'm new to this. You'll notice my preset, master eq, is at the bottom of the list of stock eqs. I don't how how to chaqnge this.

Also, mastering engineers use their ears not presets. That being said, if you master on a laptop through headphones, presets can be nice. This preset is designed to provide a gentle cut in some typical problematic areas in a mix. This is not an eq if you want a hot dance ready mixdown.

Jimmy
Attached Files
File Type: rpl eq presets.RPL (12.5 KB, 1186 views)
spaceanimals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:11 PM   #49
Kooljohn74

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBerniman View Post
Templates in Cockos is a game changer by itself. I only know ONE DAW capable of doing this kind of template thing : Ableton but at a higher level (no-no don't laugh...).

So yes : U can set up a track (audio or MIDI...) put in Ur favorite MIDI Fx, VSTi (several U can bypass in case of...), several VST Fx, U can set up one or more items in this Track Audio (samples, loop everything U want...), U can Name it, Tint it etc-ect and save it as a template track Ok!!

But That's not ALL bro...FAR FROM IT!!!

U can save several tracks this way!! I tell U....U set up Ur Tracks the way U want them to be and save them as a template....Of course, in the file menu U can save a Project as a template so U got a whole session ready to go!!

But what if Ur client want to add a Trap Beat like in the bridge instead of his accoustic drum break he gave U firts? hu? So U got to set up a whole Trap drum kit as a template!! How can U do that? It's simple : set this all up let's say 16 audio tracks with 4 different Aux Fx tracks for Reverbs (Left and right x 2, long and slppy reverbs for example...), 4-6 tracks for Hits and Fx rise up or anything else, tint Ur tracks for visual ID, put Ur Fx on every tracks, Ur default channel strip (Eq, comp and Eq and filters and so on...), bypass them or not the way you want it, set a sampler (Reasamplomatic I don't remember the name...) to receive a midi note via the ReaControlMIDI Fx, set a MIDI track to send MIDI notes to these Tracks so U can do Ur patterns in this MIDI track put all these tracks in a Folder track, U can put Ur Aux Fx tracks off this Folder track if U want to....tint everything, make a lil' pattern, set Ur favorite enveloppe tracks and ...voilà!! Save the whole thing as a template...
And the, when a client want U to make a drum track, U just have to get Ur browser (dock it and set some screensets...another story....), get the 'track template link and here U got it : dbl click or Drag&Drop and the whole thing is ready to go...
U can do tempaltes for everything U want...

Another TIP is the ability to "apply" a template to existing tracks : let's assume U got a session with 40 tracks and U got a set of template tracks for example, one for vocals, lead vocal, BG vocals, Electric bass, one for every drum elemnt (toms, snares, Kick, Hhats, cym....), KBoards etc-ect...U can use the Ressources window (call it via the "view menu" if I'm correct...), set the "apply to semected tracks" mode and U just got to select Ur target tracks and dbl-clicl on the template and the target tracks get the settings of Ur template....

I garanty U : spend some times understanding the tools Reaper has for every producer or mixing technician and U'll get a workflow U were dreaming at before....

Believe me

If U have questions I'll be glad to give U an answer in the limit of my knowledge of course.....
Thank You Sir!!!! A big help
Kooljohn74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:33 AM   #50
Dstruct

Cwitech TX16Wx Sampler Template:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=174599
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:37 AM   #51
Dstruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by the brok View Post
ok, after a lot of work and a great support buy some of you guys here i figured out how to set this up correctly, so here`s my first contribution to the community...

it`s a track template for hypersonic2.
the neat thing is, it treats each multipart as if it was one single vsti, so you only have 16 tracks that have it`s own multipart assigned to it, both midi sending as well as audio recieving on their respective tracks ...
so there`s not 16 tracks that do the midi, and another 16 tracks that handle the audio, which is the most annoying part on all other sequencers, exept logic and energy xt1x/2x.

this is how it looks like:

download the track template here <----

the track template also is including a bus-foldertrack for the entire hypersonic2 signals. if you don`t want that, just delete it. the template can be used with all other 16-times-multitimbral/16-times stereo out vsti`s, too ...

anyone, upload this to that stash thingie at will ...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
important: strangely enough (as this is no feedback routing at all) you have to "allow feedback routing" from the project preferences, otherwise it won`t work.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lemme know if it works for you!
Using feedback routing will break PDC. For most users this won't be a good thing. Much better to with separate audio and MIDI tracks (any maybe just hide the MIDI tracks in the MCP).
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:42 AM   #52
MisterBerniman

Well done DSTRUCT!!

I msut learn to use licecap
Old 08-17-2017, 07:57 AM   #53
Sphase

I made two different chains which create a hardcore/hardstyle bassdrum layer from a standard 909 source or standard pitch-bended drum from a synth. I applied the asymmetrical distortion capabilities in JS Stereo Waveshaper (window turned off).

Make sure you turn the decay up high for the waveshapers to effect the sound properly. I made these chains to start you off, if you were interested.. have fun and enjoy.

source sound used:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fxu26y9uqt...909_1.wav?dl=0
Attached Files
File Type: rfxchain HS Bass Distortion 1.RfxChain (6.8 KB, 1037 views)
File Type: rfxchain HS Bass Distortion 2.RfxChain (7.9 KB, 1024 views)

Last edited by Sphase; 08-17-2017 at 08:09 AM.
Sphase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 01:27 PM   #54
Zeno

Default Depth Filter 3

PAN & DEPTH:

Pan moves the material to the left or right in the stereo image. It does not work as usual with level differences, but with automated filtering.

Depth is a level-compensated mix of filters, stereo width, delay and room. It does not use a simple low-pass filter,

but a complex mix of different filters (based on human hearing) to preserve the naturalness of the material.

Use it as track insert, folder, bus, or put it on send-returns before (or after) the reverb.

Try it on different materials. In some situations, an ordinary LPF is more suitable. But in all other situations, this filter is simply awesome!

PS NOTE: All you have to do is start the template in reaper and load the impulse response contained in the zip into ReaVerb.

I hope you have fun with it

Zeno

DOWNLOAD
https://stash.reaper.fm/v/34386/Dist...Filter%203.zip
Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:58 PM   #55
OovooJaver

Default Things get damaged

Hello folks,

this is a track template that sounds like the depeche mode song. Stumbled across the sound whyle working with a "modular style synth" that I made in reaper.

Second one is a string synth that reminded me of the SNES game Star Fox. Notice how you can make it more violin-ish by softening the Attack on the Synth part, but more Harp-ish by giving it less Attack time.

It's great fun to experiment with modular Synths via Track Templates. And very pragmatic, because you will change them later on probably and you can save the different stages.

So, yes, tempates can be used to set up a project.
For example you could make

-track template with genre based drum machine (Hip Hop/House/DnB etc.)
-track templates with different synths or audio recordings.

So you can have everything in a row when you need it, like a library with your own presets.
You might as well mark multiple tracks and save them as one track template. Although there's also project templates.
Attached Files
File Type: rtracktemplate ThingsGetDamaged.RTrackTemplate (3.4 KB, 739 views)
File Type: rtracktemplate ElectricPianoSynth03.RTrackTemplate (3.3 KB, 734 views)
File Type: rtracktemplate ChipRaveGem03.RTrackTemplate (19.6 KB, 731 views)
File Type: rtracktemplate ByTheSea01.RTrackTemplate (4.1 KB, 739 views)

Last edited by OovooJaver; 09-05-2019 at 10:57 AM. Reason: So that I don't post spam teh thread.
OovooJaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:28 AM   #56
Skorobagatko

Quote:
Originally Posted by OovooJaver View Post
Hello folks,

this is a track template that sounds like the depeche mode song. Stumbled across the sound whyle working with a "modular style synth" that I made in reaper.

Second one is a string synth that reminded me of the SNES game Star Fox. Notice how you can make it more violin-ish by softening the Attack on the Synth part, but more Harp-ish by giving it less Attack time.

It's great fun to experiment with modular Synths via Track Templates. And very pragmatic, because you will change them later on probably and you can save the different stages.
Nice, great job!
Skorobagatko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 12:48 AM   #57
rekkandevar

Came up with this really cool bass. You'll need delay lama, tal vocoder 2, ccemn's fx_blur, and airwindows' drive and fathom 5. everything else i used comes with reaper by default. I warn you it is rather loud.
Attached Files
File Type: rfxchain hellbass.RfxChain (13.4 KB, 550 views)
rekkandevar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 12:48 PM   #58
virgo47

Default Spitfire BBC Symphony Orchestra Core template

Hi guys

Not sure this is the right place/thread, but I've made a track template for Spitfire's BBCSO Core. It's based on another one for Discovery edition, don't know the source anymore, but changes were made for Core. It also adds note names for articulation key switches, which is super handy in MIDI editor.

(BTW: that 64kB limit for images is killing me :-))
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bbccoretemplate.jpg (61.7 KB, 347 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip BbcOrchestraCore.zip (233.1 KB, 336 views)
Old 05-30-2022, 08:53 AM   #59
Sphase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeno View Post
PAN & DEPTH:

Pan moves the material to the left or right in the stereo image. It does not work as usual with level differences, but with automated filtering.

Depth is a level-compensated mix of filters, stereo width, delay and room. It does not use a simple low-pass filter,

but a complex mix of different filters (based on human hearing) to preserve the naturalness of the material.

Use it as track insert, folder, bus, or put it on send-returns before (or after) the reverb.

Try it on different materials. In some situations, an ordinary LPF is more suitable. But in all other situations, this filter is simply awesome!

PS NOTE: All you have to do is start the template in reaper and load the impulse response contained in the zip into ReaVerb.

I hope you have fun with it

Zeno

DOWNLOAD
https://stash.reaper.fm/v/34386/Dist...Filter%203.zip
this looks great
Sphase is offline   Reply With Quote