Old 07-06-2020, 08:45 PM   #1
TraditionalJeffrey
Human being with feelings

Default Media just recorded shows as offline

This is my first post, was not sure what subject this falls under. Lately I've had a problem where I record audio, and then immediately after recording, it shows as offline and there is no sound. I've used Reaper several times and never had this issue. I am saving each project in it's own folder on an external hard drive. It's really frustrating because I'm trying to record a podcast and sometimes it is over 30 minutes of audio lost, immediately after recording. It doesn't happen every time. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
TraditionalJeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:17 AM   #2
Fex

This thead might help:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=93876

Here are the highlights:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
Clicking on ANYTHING outside of Reaper when the file isn't playing will take the audio files offline. Even clicking "start" or a single click anywhere outside Reaper will do this. Some keystrokes will do it too - like hitting the "windows" button.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilkesin View Post
There is a preference to turn it off. Prefs > Media > Set Media Items Offline when Applications is not active.

Uncheck. Done.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:17 PM   #3
TraditionalJeffrey

Ok, thanks. I will try this from now on when I record and see if it happens again. I unchecked that box, but the media is still offline and I don't know how to get it back. So if it happens again I will know it is another issue.
Old 07-07-2020, 08:52 PM   #4
Fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraditionalJeffrey View Post
the media is still offline
Ok.... did you save the project with "Save project as" and elect to "Move all media into project directory," and have you looked in the project folder to make sure that the media is actually there?
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 03:17 AM   #5
Lophophora

It may sound obvious but... have you moved the audio files to another folder while the project was open?
Lophophora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:53 AM   #6
serr

A few people uncovered a major issue with USB connected external drives. The system can crash and result in your files recording to nowhere. Some intermediate cache file business. It's in the design of USB and outside of your OS even. Your OS doesn't even get an error, let alone your recording DAW app. There's nothing to recover either because the files were never actually recording the whole time when this happens!

The conclusion was: Don't ever record to an external USB drive!
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 06:18 PM   #7
TraditionalJeffrey

Yes, I did use "Save project as" and elect to "Move all media into project directory,"
there is a wav file in the project folder but it is only listed as 131,000 kb which seems quite small for over 30 minutes of audio. When I tried to play it directly it would not. I did not move the files, I even searched all drives and it is nowhere.

So it seems serr may be right about trouble with USB connected external hard drives. Lesson learned. I will record directly to the computer from now on. This also happened long ago with a hilarious barber shop a capella of me's singing about midgets. Yes, I know that is politically incorrect, but it was hilarious and it will never be found to enjoy again most likely. Could be karma. Good thing I played it for my friend before it disappeared. On said midget song, it says that several of the media items are offline and I never could find them by searching. Probably the same issue with saving to USB hard drive. Take heed my good reapers.